Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikebuzzsaw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Remote disc is slow over a network. Just extract whatever DVD/Cd software you have to a usb stick or external HDD. Boot it up on air. Much easier. That's how I'm installing office..

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
Remote disc is slow over a network. Just extract whatever DVD/Cd software you have to a usb stick or external HDD. Boot it up on air. Much easier. That's how I'm installing office..

are u using wireless N? with an airport extreme?
if not..then it will be slow

Enrico

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2007
Milano / Roma
I usually reinstall Leopard without the printer drivers, languages, etc, and I'm willing to do it now on the MBA more than ever...

Is it possible to install it from the DVD image stored in an external HD?

Btw....does the remote disk already work, or do we have to wait for 10.5.2?

dual64bit

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2004
My fresh install was quick using remote disk, both computers were N using airport Extreme N.

Don't know about an image, you have to use a utility called "remote install" on the non air computer, and it requires the DVD.

bjdraw

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2008
Tampa FL
I'm doing a remote install via ethernet (plugged in directly between the two computer) and I have to say it is slow. Booting took forever and the actual install looks like it'll take over an hour.

I had no choice because the Migration assistant screwed up my user account and Apple didn't know how to fix it, instead recommended I re-install. Ohh well, at least I'll get the extra space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.