PDA

View Full Version : List of Retail Stores with MBA (UK Only)

ddk121
Feb 4, 2008, 03:36 PM
This thread is similar to the one made by 'villanova329', where people can post which retail stores in the UK have demo units of the MBA, and/or MBA's in stock. I though making this thread would be easier for us Britains to see which stores had them.

As of around 5 PM today (4/02/08), Apple store Regent Street had no demos or units in stock, nor did the premium reseller AT Computers in Cardiff.

Georgetink
Feb 4, 2008, 04:13 PM
Went to the Regent street apple store on saturday 2nd and they said 2 weeks! i think there hiding somthing,anway im back in exeter and i will call the one there to see of they no anything

ddk121
Feb 4, 2008, 05:50 PM
Hopefully they'll be in sometime this week. US stores are starting to get them...:confused:

yoyomagic
Feb 4, 2008, 06:53 PM
Went into regent street at 7pm and asked four different sales reps about stock. answers below:
1. definitely in 2 weeks.
2. any day now
3. in the next couple of days i know all the US stores now are receiving theirs
4. no idea.

Anyway passed the store at midnight and no sign of any new signage or people changing displays.

mrklaw
Feb 5, 2008, 04:04 AM
rang a local reseller and they said they only get 3 days notice of shipments. i.e notified monday for wednesday deliveries. So even if they get some this week/weekend, they won't know until thursday-ish.

I have my fingers crossed because I'll be down there on Friday anyway, woudl be good to see one in the flesh. even if I can't buy one it'll help me decide between that or a standard macbook

beatleben
Feb 5, 2008, 04:16 AM
rang a local reseller and they said they only get 3 days notice of shipments. i.e notified monday for wednesday deliveries. So even if they get some this week/weekend, they won't know until thursday-ish.

I have my fingers crossed because I'll be down there on Friday anyway, woudl be good to see one in the flesh. even if I can't buy one it'll help me decide between that or a standard macbook

Walked past the Apple Store on Regent Street and they have plenty of Mac Book Airs on display so assuming they have stock to.

mullenmouse
Feb 5, 2008, 06:07 AM
Anyone know if the Trafford Centre store has them in yet?? Will be going on Wednesday.

freelander
Feb 5, 2008, 07:25 AM
Trafford Centre still saying no stock or display models yet.
Local reseller in Cheshire (MCC) saying 2 weeks.

yoyomagic
Feb 5, 2008, 07:29 AM
Brent Cross say this week, no demo's as yet, there was a huge crate of stock in the back that had a very dark non see-through wrap around, many different answers from staff, some say "very soon" some say "no idea" some say "macbook where". Will keep you posted.

tofupancake
Feb 5, 2008, 07:44 AM
Walked past the Apple Store on Regent Street and they have plenty of Mac Book Airs on display so assuming they have stock to.

There are 4 display units in Regents Street, London store. None for sale though. They say by the end of this week some might be for sale. The 2 I used were 1.6/80's.

freelander
Feb 5, 2008, 07:54 AM
Not that I would want an ex display model, but I am sure there is a piece of UK retail legislation which says the retailer is legally obliged to sell you the item if it is on display. Are there any Trading Standards people on the forum who could confirm or refute this?

SPQR
Feb 5, 2008, 08:07 AM
A consumer offers to purchase an item from the Shops which the shop can accept or refuse. Display items aren't "offering" goods for sale, they are an "invitation to treat" (inviting you to do business).

So no, you can't compel the Regent Street store to sell you a display MacBook Air.. :mad:

ojk7
Feb 5, 2008, 08:13 AM
There is a display model at the WestQuay store in Southampton but no stock to buy although they do have new 16GB iPhones in stock

nomad01
Feb 5, 2008, 09:00 AM
Any in the Bullring store yet??

ddk121
Feb 5, 2008, 01:06 PM
Called AT computers in Cardiff again today, still none in stock. They said told me that they might have them next week...:(

mrklaw
Feb 5, 2008, 02:17 PM
someone on another forum had a play with a display model in the Glasgow Apple Store

lewisozz
Feb 5, 2008, 05:53 PM
hi does the apple store in glasgow have any MBA demos ????

do you think it will be worth cancelling my order on the apple store and go get one from glasgow ???

yoyomagic
Feb 6, 2008, 06:52 AM
Brent Cross now have two demo Macbook Airs and plenty of Macbook Air Super drives, no stock until Friday. So they say!

millypede
Feb 6, 2008, 07:02 AM
Demo Units have arrived at Western Computers (Swindon, Cheltenham and Bristol) sellable stock should be here by the end of the week.

mrklaw
Feb 6, 2008, 07:21 AM
Demo Units have arrived at Western Computers (Swindon, Cheltenham and Bristol) sellable stock should be here by the end of the week.

ooh, I'll be down there tomorrow and friday. Although in meetings all day, will see if I can bunk off at lunch.

edit: Just called bristol and they were very vague. Didn't even confirm they had a demo unit, but hoped to get one by the end of today. *might* be up tomorrow they didn't know. Said they were taking deposits for mid-feb, but also said that retail stock should follow demo stock very closely - so no useful info there.

millypede, you have inside knowledge about Western?

might just go to brent cross for a demo tonight, then just look for whoever has sellable stock first.

Nipz
Feb 6, 2008, 07:23 AM
got one on display at the exeter store. rang this morning.

dont no the specs tho. sorry.

mullenmouse
Feb 6, 2008, 07:49 AM
Trafford centre have 2 display models, but none in stock yet.

tofupancake
Feb 6, 2008, 09:50 AM
PC World (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/editorial/3-broadband#air) stores are apparently expecting stock 11/02 according to this page.

rugbyboy
Feb 6, 2008, 10:07 AM
Was in today looking at MacBook Airs and was told stock in thurs or fri!

Ben

rmclachlan
Feb 6, 2008, 10:12 AM
hi does the apple store in glasgow have any MBA demos ????

do you think it will be worth cancelling my order on the apple store and go get one from glasgow ???

Glasgow has 3 on display including one 1.8 SSD. None for sale at moment - perhaps next week?

russtic
Feb 6, 2008, 10:51 AM
Demo unit now in at Meadowhall, Sheffield - no models for sale. Told to check the website for availability ?????WTF????? No information of this kind what so ever.

russtic
Feb 6, 2008, 10:55 AM
Just spoken to Meadowhall again - I can preorder with them (though not on the phone) and will get one as soon as they come in.

They have no idea when this will be though.

Should I or Shouldn't I

millypede
Feb 6, 2008, 11:12 AM
ooh, I'll be down there tomorrow and friday. Although in meetings all day, will see if I can bunk off at lunch.

edit: Just called bristol and they were very vague. Didn't even confirm they had a demo unit, but hoped to get one by the end of today. *might* be up tomorrow they didn't know. Said they were taking deposits for mid-feb, but also said that retail stock should follow demo stock very closely - so no useful info there.

millypede, you have inside knowledge about Western?

might just go to brent cross for a demo tonight, then just look for whoever has sellable stock first.

Im the manager of the Cheltenham branch :D

Plus we are taking orders now for them, im expecting them in by the end of the week.

Georgetink
Feb 6, 2008, 11:18 AM
got one on display at the exeter store. rang this morning.

dont no the specs tho. sorry.

:D
Thanks for that ill go down there on saturday it will be packed though!
How did you get the number?

mrklaw
Feb 6, 2008, 11:42 AM
Im the manager of the Cheltenham branch :D

Plus we are taking orders now for them, im expecting them in by the end of the week.

:)

well your friendly neighbourhood Bristol store was a lot more vague. I'd put a deposit down if I thought they'd be in on Friday. Do you expect all three stores to get one?

BTW, posting this from a macbook air at brent cross :D

Not as light as I thought - just picking it up it feels similar to the black macbook sitting next to it. Neither does it seem *that* thin. Its thin, sure, but not super-wow.

but I love the trackpad. flicking back/forward in safari is just so natural. As is growing/shrinking the web pages if the fonts are a little small.

It seems to come down to desire Vs practicality. My sensible head says get the white macbook for 700 - purely due to cost. But this is very very tempting. and I got a good bonus at work :D

russtic
Feb 6, 2008, 12:21 PM
In meadowhall now. They have the hdd on display. very nice. Lighter than expected and quick opened safari, itunes etc in one bounce. Have pre-ordered so the first air in meadowhall is mine!!!

They have had lots of interest and the supply has been tight they have tried to get a ssd but without luck. I have been told that no retail staff would know when it is coming in so I would take the promises with a pinch of salt.

Matt

CPMac
Feb 6, 2008, 02:15 PM
London Regent Street is doing a roaring trade - well, of people doing this strange act where you pick up a display MBA in one hand and nod sagely like you knew it would weigh that much, or something. A new Olympic sport perhaps?

None for sale though.

Anyway, Regent Street sold 6 yesterday morning; the only ones they had in. I spoke to three staff who all seemed to give the same story. Lots of new gadgetry peripherals (SuperDrive and various micro toggly things) available - but no MBAs. Maybe later in the week? Maybe tomorrow? No one really committed. I hate that evasive stuff.

They should just let nutters (like me) who have taken their lunch hour to wander over there reserve one.

Looks cool though. Particularly held in one hand.

CP

mrklaw
Feb 7, 2008, 06:20 AM
put a deposit down with western computers. I'm working in Bristol today and tomorrow, so I have my fingers crossed.

kid rock
Feb 7, 2008, 07:39 AM
Apple store in the lakeside shopping mall essex, has one display model (didnt ask about stock DOH!)

liked it very much, but not to keen on the black keys,

Si

P.S they also had sotck of the 16gb iphones but not on display!

tremendous
Feb 7, 2008, 08:10 AM
yesterday lunchtime there were three in the glasgow store and they were largely being ignored by the dumb 17 year olds either taking pictures of themselves or trying to play games. i had a play for around 20 mins on the SSD model and no one gave the two next to me more than a cursory glance/touch before moving on.

scharf10
Feb 7, 2008, 08:31 AM
Do you think they will get any in at the Glasgow store tomorrow? I'd seriously consider driving from Dundee just to get one, I've not placed an order online, and I am not working tomorrow so it may work.

I guess nobody knows for definite, but then if Regent Street gets them tomorrow Glasgow may too?

mrklaw
Feb 7, 2008, 11:34 AM
hey millypede, any sign of the retail stock coming for tomorrow?

tremendous
Feb 7, 2008, 12:03 PM
Do you think they will get any in at the Glasgow store tomorrow? I'd seriously consider driving from Dundee just to get one, I've not placed an order online, and I am not working tomorrow so it may work.

I guess nobody knows for definite, but then if Regent Street gets them tomorrow Glasgow may too?

i asked (not that i'm buying one or anything) and the dude said 'i have no idea'. i said fair enough and he said 'oh, do you want to buy one?!' and i was like 'chill dude no.'

oh but i work round the corner so i can go find out in the AM and let you know if you like?

scharf10
Feb 7, 2008, 12:23 PM
Yeah that would be great, thanks. If you would be able to post it in here and PM me then i suppose that would benefit all of us.

Cheers.

Scharf.

tofupancake
Feb 7, 2008, 12:36 PM
After dropping into Regent St every day for the last 8 days to check stock, I'll be mega annoyed if some public managed to secure 'pre-orders' for stock when I couldn't. Soon find out...

kevbernard
Feb 7, 2008, 12:52 PM
Western Computers in Bristol have a 1.6/80 demo in. I saw it this afternoon.

I've been hovering in this forum for a couple of weeks now trying to make my mind up as to whether or not I really want a MBA.

Now I've seen it, it lives up to all my expectations. I've put a deposit down and will be getting the 4th one they get in. Fingers crossed that'll be soon!!!

Tom B.
Feb 7, 2008, 01:19 PM
I was going to have a look in the Regent Street Store today as I was in the area, but when I got there about 3PM, it was all blocked off with Police tape because of dangerous electrical/gas problems nearby. :(

tofupancake
Feb 7, 2008, 01:33 PM
I was going to have a look in the Regent Street Store today as I was in the area, but when I got there about 3PM, it was all blocked off with Police tape because of dangerous electrical/gas problems nearby. :(

Yesterday a passing van's radiator had exploded directly outside, and the street was taped off. Must be 'something in the air'.

netdog
Feb 7, 2008, 02:37 PM
Anyway, Regent Street sold 6 yesterday morning; the only ones they had in.

Not true. None sold to date.

mrklaw
Feb 7, 2008, 02:47 PM

I've been hovering in this forum for a couple of weeks now trying to make my mind up as to whether or not I really want a MBA.

Now I've seen it, it lives up to all my expectations. I've put a deposit down and will be getting the 4th one they get in. Fingers crossed that'll be soon!!!

Hopefully that makes me number 1-3 as i rang in a deposit this morning.
If they do get some in, roughly when do they get deliveries?

kevbernard
Feb 7, 2008, 05:29 PM
Hopefully that makes me number 1-3 as i rang in a deposit this morning.
If they do get some in, roughly when do they get deliveries?

Well, I actually put a (fully refundable) deposit down last Friday, but fully committed to it today, so I think I'm ahead of you.

As for timescales, I don't know for certain, but they ordered their first batch on Jan 20th IIRC, so hopefully within the next few days.

millypede
Feb 8, 2008, 02:46 AM
OK some good news for those of you who are waiting, Macbook Airs are in transit :D
The should be in around 1:30pm, but i wouldnt say that is 100% guaranteed, it depends were they are coming from, Ireland or a UK Hub, Ill keep an eye on the deliveries.

millypede
Feb 8, 2008, 02:48 AM
Well, I actually put a (fully refundable) deposit down last Friday, but fully committed to it today, so I think I'm ahead of you.

As for timescales, I don't know for certain, but they ordered their first batch on Jan 20th IIRC, so hopefully within the next few days.

It make you number 4 in the que!

ojk7
Feb 8, 2008, 03:36 AM
Have rung Apple Stores in Southampton and Exeter, no stock in this mornings deliveries and not expecting any further deliveries today :(

mrklaw
Feb 8, 2008, 03:49 AM
thanks millypede. I don't finish work until 5 so it'll be a last minute dash if they come in. Fingers crossed.

I still haven't told the wife. She said we don't need a new laptop and there is nothing wrong with our 5 year old massive dell that only lasts 30 minutes on batteries and weighs more than 4kg

ojk7
Feb 8, 2008, 04:09 AM
11 in stock at Regent St expected to be sold out in 30 minutes

CPMac
Feb 8, 2008, 04:36 AM
11 in stock at Regent St expected to be sold out in 30 minutes

Pretty Amazing really. Makes me think of two things - a) the demand for these things is unprecedented (online pre-orders, or demand in the USA) or b), Apple screwed up.

11?!

Apple wants to increase market share around the world and it can ship at launch a grand total of 11 laptops to a shop in London. With all due respect to the other retail stores and resellers - if the flagship store in Europe gets 11...no breath held recommended.

Anyway, back to work.

tremendous
Feb 8, 2008, 04:51 AM
Glasgow store update

ok, as of 9.50am, they claimed to have none in BUT they were expecting some in "at some point today"

not very useful, but there you have it...i'll drop by at lunch too.

ojk7
Feb 8, 2008, 05:07 AM
Sounds like some other stores are getting limited numbers today. West Quay Apple Store said they received none to sell today but had "filled up their display quota"

serialseb
Feb 8, 2008, 05:16 AM
Just come back from Regent street, the guys there told me they had about 20, but all hard drive 1.6. They don't know when they'll get the ssd ones... So I took a cab trip for nothing :(

Maybe tomorrow. tsk tsk tsk.

tremendous
Feb 8, 2008, 05:22 AM
Just come back from Regent street, the guys there told me they had about 20, but all hard drive 1.6. They don't know when they'll get the ssd ones... So I took a cab trip for nothing :(

Maybe tomorrow. tsk tsk tsk.

you took a cab in central london. are you insane?

tofupancake
Feb 8, 2008, 05:25 AM
I purchased one at Regent St, 10:30am. 15 of the 20 had gone. Only 1.6/80 in stock. They have ethernet dongles too.

millypede
Feb 8, 2008, 06:03 AM
Just to note no reseller, well i dont think majority of them, will be stocking the SSD version as a normal product, as its a Customer Built Unit only, just like the 24" iMac 2.8Ghz.

millypede
Feb 8, 2008, 06:11 AM

Its here :D

mrklaw
Feb 8, 2008, 06:15 AM

ooh, please have enough. I really want my wife to shout at me :D

ddk121
Feb 8, 2008, 06:17 AM

Just rang your store, said none had come in... Have any come in?

Kenndac
Feb 8, 2008, 06:28 AM
Just to note no reseller, well i dont think majority of them, will be stocking the SSD version as a normal product, as its a Customer Built Unit only, just like the 24" iMac 2.8Ghz.

Do you mean Apple Stores or Authorised Resellers? Apple Stores stock popular CTO machines - I bought my 24" 2.8GHz iMac from the Apple Store in Brent Cross.

On topic: I phoned up the Brent Cross store not long ago. They have some on display, but none to sell - stock expected "soon".

serialseb
Feb 8, 2008, 06:29 AM
you took a cab in central london. are you insane?

Work on chancery lane and live on pipcadilly circus, the cab took 10 minutes, I'd hae taken nearly twice that have i taken the tube... And seeing as I was assured on the phone the SSD was in stock and there wasa only a few left, I ran...

Of course I came back empty handed on the tube. Oh well.

millypede
Feb 8, 2008, 06:39 AM
Just rang your store, said none had come in... Have any come in?

We had some but they were pre-ordered (customers that had paid a deposit) we only had 5 units in.

millypede
Feb 8, 2008, 06:42 AM
Do you mean Apple Stores or Authorised Resellers? Apple Stores stock popular CTO machines - I bought my 24" 2.8GHz iMac from the Apple Store in Brent Cross.

On topic: I phoned up the Brent Cross store not long ago. They have some on display, but none to sell - stock expected "soon".

Resellers, Apple Premium Reseller (eg KRCS, Western), Apple Stockist (eg PC World, John Lewis)

mrklaw
Feb 8, 2008, 07:33 AM
We had some but they were pre-ordered (customers that had paid a deposit) we only had 5 units in.

Oh. You already contacted everyone? Although i have a deposit with bristol they probably also only got a few.

millypede
Feb 8, 2008, 07:43 AM
Bristol also has the companies warehouse, so not 5 per store, sorry my bad logical thinking!

kevbernard
Feb 8, 2008, 07:44 AM
Picked mine up from Western in Bristol at 12:56. Have been playing since!!

Everyone in the office loves it!

tremendous
Feb 8, 2008, 08:20 AM
glasgow got some around 10.30 - all went. more soon (and supposedly in greater numbers).

they said you can call and leave your deets and they will call you when they have one, but no reservation. i'm sure that can be negotiated.

also said they'd be getting 1.6 hdd and 1.8 ssd. unlikely to have any before monday.

sorry i couldn't find out any more!

mrklaw
Feb 8, 2008, 08:27 AM
Picked mine up from Western in Bristol at 12:56. Have been playing since!!

Everyone in the office loves it!

Guess i'm out of luck them if it was 5 for all 3 stores :(

CD3660
Feb 8, 2008, 08:37 AM
Resellers, Apple Premium Reseller (eg KRCS, Western), Apple Stockist (eg PC World, John Lewis)
John Lewis (Cheadle), a major branch of the store in the North West has never even heard of the model, and there is no reference to it on JohnLewis.com either.

Very cutting edge! :rolleyes:

Applespider
Feb 8, 2008, 08:43 AM
John Lewis (Cheadle), there is no reference to it on JohnLewis.com either.

Very cuttimg edge! :rolleyes:

That's because JL.com can't take pre-orders and they won't put a product live without stock to sell

CD3660
Feb 8, 2008, 08:49 AM
That's because JL.com can't take pre-orders and they won't put a product live without stock to sell

Maybe, but you'd think that they might have heard of it!

russtic
Feb 8, 2008, 09:12 AM
they said you can call and leave your deets and they will call you when they have one, but no reservation. i'm sure that can be negotiated.

I agree Sheffield allowed me to pre-order. Just phoned up to check status they say that they still don't have any units in. DAMM!

However he did say days not weeks....:apple:

Still I won't be entirely convinced until I hold it in my hands!!

ps didn't leave a deposit they did it via the 'runner system'??? Don't know what that means exactly but it looked like they were ordering one up from the backroom - but obviously they don't have any so it will produce negative stock.

Info might help someone.

PS Sheffield store are very helpful.:)

mrklaw
Feb 8, 2008, 10:13 AM
rang up bristol. After saying they didn't have any, and me pushing back at them, seems they said they had 4 in and i was number 5 :(

The guy will ring me as soon as mine comes in but the whole experience wasn't particularly confidence inspiring

cgdotcom
Feb 8, 2008, 10:29 AM
Maybe, but you'd think that they might have heard of it!

Who did you ask? I've popped into the Cheadle store a couple of times recently to ask about availability, and they've known exactly what model I've been referring to.

They reckon should get the Air in stock at the same time as Apple stores, although I'm guessing that they mean "when it's widely available in Apple stores", as opposed to 10 or 12 units here or there.

They also had the 1.6 HDD unit on their system but not the 1.8 SSD, and the guy I spoke to suspected that they wouldn't be selling the latter at all.

russtic
Feb 8, 2008, 03:38 PM
I'm bored I just want my Air , NOW!!

I don't understand what Apple is doing, nice ads, demo units BUT NO BLOODY STOCK!

I would understand if they had sold out but the fact is they haven't got stock to sell out of.

adeinov
Feb 9, 2008, 02:37 AM
John Lewis issued a press release saying they would be selling the MBA early Feb. I'm going to pop into my local branch (Newcastle) today to see if they have any ideas when they'll be getting stock.. I prefer to buy from them as you receive a 2-year warranty

mrklaw
Feb 9, 2008, 03:24 AM
so, when is follow-up stock expected? do apple ship continuously, or weekly?

millypede
Feb 9, 2008, 03:57 AM
John Lewis issued a press release saying they would be selling the MBA early Feb. I'm going to pop into my local branch (Newcastle) today to see if they have any ideas when they'll be getting stock.. I prefer to buy from them as you receive a 2-year warranty

Yes but the second year covers only the labour NOT the parts, can you imagine how much the parts will cost on that if it does fair, play it safe buy it and get AppleCare

millypede
Feb 9, 2008, 03:59 AM
so, when is follow-up stock expected? do apple ship continuously, or weekly?

Some time next week, Ill keep an eye on things and let you know.

cgdotcom
Feb 9, 2008, 04:14 AM
Yes but the second year covers only the labour NOT the parts, can you imagine how much the parts will cost on that if it does fair, play it safe buy it and get AppleCare

I'm not sure that's correct. I have a receipt from John Lewis in my hands right now, for the Macbook I purchased from them in 2006 [and which coincidentally is actually in for repair at the moment]. At the top of the receipt it says, "This item is covered by our guarantee: 2 years parts and labour".

I think it can take slightly longer to get your machine fixed through John Lewis, but a second year's free P&L warranty is a pretty good deal IMHO.

russtic
Feb 9, 2008, 05:37 AM
Sheffield now saying 2 weeks :(

17hn
Feb 9, 2008, 05:38 AM
OK went to Regent St this morning got there at 10am and they only had a small delivery of 1.6/HDD models. It annoyed me that some schmuck working there said they had none but luckily I overheard another member of staff who said they did have some. There were no SSDs so I left empty handed.

I tried yesterday also and they sold out within a few mins. They get a delivery 6 days a week first thing in the morning so its best to get there at 10am everyday if you can.

Does anyone online know if I order online now what the delivery time will be? Is it as per the website i.e. 2-3 weeks?

netdog
Feb 9, 2008, 05:51 AM
OK went to Regent St this morning got there at 10am and they only had a small delivery of 1.6/HDD models. It annoyed me that some schmuck working there said they had none but luckily I overheard another member of staff who said they did have some. There were no SSDs so I left empty handed.

I tried yesterday also and they sold out within a few mins. They get a delivery 6 days a week first thing in the morning so its best to get there at 10am everyday if you can.

Does anyone online know if I order online now what the delivery time will be? Is it as per the website i.e. 2-3 weeks?

So much for the numerous pimply-faced gamers here who predicted that the MBA would be a flop.

Applespider
Feb 9, 2008, 06:03 AM

Nope... both are covered by John Lewis although as with Applecare, accidental damage isn't nor is the battery life decreasing covered.

I think it can take slightly longer to get your machine fixed through John Lewis, but a second year's free P&L warranty is a pretty good deal IMHO.

I'd agree and JL are a lot more likely to replace a lemon with a new one rather than constantly try repairs. I had a Powerbook swapped out after 6 weeks without even attempting a repair and a friend ended up with an entirely new Macbook after her iBook died 20 months in and they figured it was cheaper to just replace.

ddk121
Feb 9, 2008, 06:50 AM
Rang the Bullring store about 15 minutes ago, they had one 1.8 ssd model left. Probably gone by now...

adeinov
Feb 9, 2008, 11:31 AM

Thats not correct. I've just read through my warranty for the MacBook Pro and it covers everything. I've also found them to be great whenever there are any issues.

Just an update. The people in the Newcastle store did not have any idea when they would be receiving stock

russtic
Feb 10, 2008, 09:08 AM
any news?

I have spent great effort in getting a MBA retail but no luck yet..

mrklaw
Feb 11, 2008, 04:55 AM
any news?

I have spent great effort in getting a MBA retail but no luck yet..

well it was Sunday, so probably a quiet day...

...But today is Monday - any news? :P

Ratty
Feb 11, 2008, 05:36 AM
Limited stock at Apple West Quay today!

:)

CPMac
Feb 11, 2008, 05:46 AM
10.00 am, Regent Street - none in stock. Advised to "try later" - yeah, that was helpful!!

If anyone gets a different story from the flagship store - please post.

JD

Cousin Dirk
Feb 11, 2008, 06:33 AM
Well, the Apple Store at Bluewater certainly had display models in yesterday (hot damn, that thing is thin), as did - I think - the Albion Premium reseller on the Strand.

17hn
Feb 11, 2008, 06:39 AM
Lakeside and Solihull had them this morning but 1.6/hdd model only.

Im now thinking that I may as well just save 800 given that theres virtually no difference in performance between the two. Anyone else waiting for a SSD and having second thoughts?

CPMac
Feb 11, 2008, 06:40 AM
Thanks

The shops just get a bit officious when you try and take the display model home with you. Thanks for the tip on the Strand.

Anyone else spotted one available to buy in London?

judethat
Feb 11, 2008, 07:22 AM
got my macbook air from regent street store on Saturday - its fantastic - bit frustrating using Migration Assistant - would be useful if you could just choose folders to transfer, rather than grouping all together - maybe I am doing this wrong. However got mine just last Saturday in London and well worth the visit. Fits in my handbag, so really will become the thing that it is meant to be - you can travel with it and barely feel the weight of it. Well worth the hassle to get it.

MacBook Air 1.6/80, iMac 24" intel, iPhone 8gig ipod touch.

mrklaw
Feb 11, 2008, 08:01 AM
Heads up - John Lewis online have 6 in stock. They had 9 and I just bought one.

if you order before 3pm you can get delivery tomorrow.

note that its online only, stores can't see that stock. They didn't find any superdrives so I'll check with my local store for those. (or Brent Cross Apple Store had some in last week which should still be there)

CPMac
Feb 11, 2008, 08:08 AM
Amazing how fast these change. I range JL this morning and no joy.

ANYWAY - Just got it. Bluewater had one available (base model, whihc is fine for my needs).

Thanks for all the tips.

millypede
Feb 11, 2008, 08:29 AM
Thats not correct. I've just read through my warranty for the MacBook Pro and it covers everything. I've also found them to be great whenever there are any issues.

Just an update. The people in the Newcastle store did not have any idea when they would be receiving stock

Well ill be, last time we did a test shop in there we asked them that question and thats what they told us, I stand corrected.

mrklaw
Feb 11, 2008, 08:58 AM
whats the lead time for shipping like on the superdrive? Johnlewis.com don't have any, and I'd rather not drive up to Brent Cross just for that.

17hn
Feb 11, 2008, 09:07 AM
Kingston now have stock of 1.6/hdd units. Still no signs of any SSD units anywhere.

scharf10
Feb 11, 2008, 09:59 AM
I was looking whilst at work on John Lewis online and they had 4, then 3 in stock for ages until about 3:30pm. I phoned my mum to get her to order it at home but she was having none of it and told me to when I got back. Got home at 3:45, absolutely gone. Ahwell, no idea where i'll order it now.

Scharf.

ddk121
Feb 11, 2008, 10:38 AM
Think I was one of the last to order from John Lewis. My order now says "order processing", does this mean I definitely have secured one?

Thanks

freelander
Feb 11, 2008, 11:11 AM
Arndale Centre, Manchester have them in stock - not the Trafford Centre though.

adeinov
Feb 11, 2008, 11:19 AM
Congratulations to those of us on here who managed to order from John Lewis. I went on there when they had 10 in stock and I've just checked and it says its been dispatched via City Link for a before 10.30am delivery (I chose to pay extra). How stupid do I now feel when I've just realised I'm in meetings all day tomorrow from 8.45am!!!

mrklaw
Feb 11, 2008, 01:43 PM
I rang them up to make sure they had stock. I just went onto John Lewis to see if they had added the machine, didn't expect it to be on their front page, let alone having stock remaining for quite a while.

Drove home via Kingston and picked up a superdrive, as JL don't have any. they had plenty. Didn't ask if they still had any macbooks.

gordo
Feb 11, 2008, 05:10 PM
Kingston had a limited number this morning, sold out by the afternoon. They expect sensible stock levels by the end of the week.

Catch
Feb 11, 2008, 05:14 PM
Any stock at Regent Street?

C

russtic
Feb 11, 2008, 05:52 PM
picked up mine from meadowhall they have stocks

ojk7
Feb 12, 2008, 05:09 AM
Just picked one up from Southampton WestQuay they have stock today.

mrklaw
Feb 12, 2008, 05:34 AM
Mine just arrived from Johnlewis.com :D but at work so will have to wait a while

adeinov
Feb 12, 2008, 07:37 AM
Cancelled two meetings when my wife phoned to say it had arrived. Drove home. It's lovely :) Thanks John Lewis. Ordered yesterday, arrived 10am this morning!!

17hn
Feb 12, 2008, 08:14 AM
Still no signs of stock of the 1.8/ssd model. Did anyone manage to get one so far?

ddk121
Feb 12, 2008, 11:37 AM
Can anyone who ordered from John Lewis help me with my order? I ordered after 3 yesterday, so the earliest delivery I could get it tomorrow. It showed up as dispatched this morning, along with a CityLink tracking number. Yet when I try and track the parcel, it says the tracking number is invalid :S Is this right?

Applespider
Feb 12, 2008, 03:05 PM
Give it til later tonight. John Lewis will have allocated it one of their Citylink numbers this morning and sent your email to let you know it's ready to go but it probably won't actually get to a Citylink depot until later tonight when Citylink collect all the parcels for the day. It won't get scanned as anything happening til then. Same thing happened with my iMac a couple of week ago and it showed up bright and early the next morning.

netdog
Feb 12, 2008, 03:14 PM
Could we have hit the New Year's lull for new shipments to Apple Stores? Hope for all of you who are still waiting that they start coming in again. Doesn't seem as if Regent Street have had any in since Saturday.

ddk121
Feb 12, 2008, 05:15 PM
Hmm.. it's still not showing up on the tracking page. Says something along the lines of job number now found. Should it have appeared by now?

ddk121
Feb 13, 2008, 03:23 AM
Tracking has appeared now, finally! :D

ddk121
Feb 13, 2008, 04:29 AM
Macbook air has arrived! Excellent service from John Lewis!:D

scharf10
Feb 19, 2008, 06:53 PM
Does anyone have any updates on stock?

Anybody know anywhere online where they are in stock, or in retail shops?

Thanks, Scharf.

yogamonkey
Feb 23, 2008, 06:37 PM
Looks like John Lewis have them in stock again online.

Patchwork
Feb 24, 2008, 07:10 AM
Dixons and PCworld both have the 1.6 60GB model in stock. If you order from Dixons it only costs 1149.99 with free delivery and a free wireless mighty mouse, which looks a good deal (and no I don't work for DSG!).

yogamonkey
Feb 26, 2008, 08:20 AM
My MBA from John Lewis.com arrived this morning! Ordered on Sunday evening. Can't wait to get it home and rip its box open!

netdog
Feb 26, 2008, 08:41 AM
I am so thoroughly impressed with these machines. The instant-on feature is wonderful. This machine has exceeded all my expectations.

yogamonkey
Feb 26, 2008, 07:26 PM
I am so thoroughly impressed with these machines. The instant-on feature is wonderful. This machine has exceeded all my expectations.

I totally agree. This is my 5th Mac and it's easily the one that has taken my breath away most when opening the box. I had a couple of friends over who watched the unboxing and they loved it :D:D

After a few hours of playing with it, I'm really happy. Everything is synced, transferred, working and beautiful! I can't quite get used to the fact that there's no DVD drive but that will come with time I guess.

I keep picking it up with one hand!