PDA

View Full Version : HandBrake vs. Visual Hub

DJAKO
Feb 4, 2008, 08:12 PM
I've been using Handbrake for a few weeks now and it's pretty easy. Takes about 2 hours per movie on the Apple TV settings.

I thought I'd test out Visual Hub and see how the quality compared. I'm again using the Apple TV preset on standard quality. Estimated time is a little over 3 hours? Does it usually take longer for you? Do you notice a quality difference?

Tracer
Feb 4, 2008, 08:20 PM
Are you using H.264 encoding with both?

Usually Vis Hub outperforms Handbrake.

Tracer

PROJECT359
Feb 4, 2008, 08:25 PM
I agree with Tracer. VisualHub performs better than handbrake for me. I generally use the Apple TV / H.264 / Go Nuts settings and I've never had anything take more than an hour.

DJAKO
Feb 4, 2008, 08:27 PM
Are you using H.264 encoding with both?

Usually Vis Hub outperforms Handbrake.

Tracer
Ya, I've got the normal (h.264 Main) with HB and the same H.264 encoding with visual hub.

I agree with Tracer. VisualHub performs better than handbrake for me. I generally use the Apple TV / H.264 / Go Nuts settings and I've never had anything take more than an hour.

Never take more than an hour lol? What kind of computer? I'm on a MBP 2.33Ghz, 3GB of Ram. Is there any other settings you change?

dukebound85
Feb 4, 2008, 08:27 PM
wait visual hub can encode dvds?

Railrider
Feb 4, 2008, 08:36 PM
wait visual hub can encode dvds?

Sure it can, if you strip off the copy protection with MacTheRipper first.

PROJECT359
Feb 4, 2008, 08:38 PM
Never take more than an hour lol? What kind of computer? I'm on a MBP 2.33Ghz, 3GB of Ram. Is there any other settings you change?

I use it mainly on my iMac:

2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB SDRAM

Sometimes I'll use the MacBook but I've seriously never had anything go over an hour. I don't change any other settings accept for specifying the options I listed earlier.

I mainly work on movie files that are around 750Mb that have used DIVX or XVID codecs.

I recently ripped some of my own DVDs for use on the Apple TV and they took about 90 minutes per movie.

At the office, I have an 8-Core 4GB Ram MacPro but I haven't tried it on that yet (well, it is a work PC, lol). Maybe I should try and compare the difference.

dukebound85
Feb 4, 2008, 08:39 PM

oh so its a two step process then i take it?

i cant just pop in a dvd and let visual hub play with it like handbreak?

gloss
Feb 4, 2008, 08:40 PM
I typically just use Handbrake, and save Visualhub for transcoding for Xbox, etc.

DJAKO
Feb 4, 2008, 08:43 PM
I use it mainly on my iMac:

2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB SDRAM

Sometimes I'll use the MacBook but I've seriously never had anything go over an hour. I don't change any other settings accept for specifying the options I listed earlier.

I mainly work on movie files that are around 750Mb that have used DIVX or XVID codecs.

I recently ripped some of my own DVDs for use on the Apple TV and they took about 90 minutes per movie.

At the office, I have an 8-Core 4GB Ram MacPro but I haven't tried it on that yet (well, it is a work PC, lol). Maybe I should try and compare the difference.

Ya 750mb files are a lot smaller than a normal DVD full length movie right?

Railrider
Feb 4, 2008, 08:46 PM
oh so its a two step process then i take it?

i cant just pop in a dvd and let visual hub play with it like handbreak?

Correct.

dukebound85
Feb 4, 2008, 08:48 PM
Ya 750mb files are a lot smaller than a normal DVD full length movie right?

yes, most movies are a couple gigs (like 3-4) if i recall correctly

lazydesi
Feb 4, 2008, 09:05 PM
+1 for visual hub

DJAKO
Feb 4, 2008, 10:33 PM
Do all you VH guys go from MTR > Visual Hub?

Michael CM1
Feb 5, 2008, 02:32 AM

Is this not quite the time-consuming process? Is there really that much of a difference to go through the extra steps?

ntrigue
Feb 5, 2008, 03:03 AM
I feel a bit 'jipped' that I paid for VisualHub and still have to use MactheRipper. Interestingly enough its quite difficult to tell the resolution difference between Handbrake and Hub.

nordesmic
Feb 5, 2008, 03:38 AM
Is this not quite the time-consuming process? Is there really that much of a difference to go through the extra steps?

Using MactheRipper will only take about 10-12 minutes to get rid of the copy-protection. If you convert the file (say a feature film) to MP4 afterward you will probably save this amount of time because VH is faster than Handbrake.

Interestingly enough its quite difficult to tell the resolution difference between Handbrake and Hub.

I've found the results to be exactly the same except that VisualHub tends to be more compatible with all devices ie PS3.

NightStorm
Feb 5, 2008, 08:00 AM
It's necessary for VisualHub, and increasingly necessary for Handbrake. The makers of these programs don't want to have to worry about releasing updates everytime the studios create a new protection scheme.

It will also help keep your drives working; encoding directly from the DVD in Handbrake really puts some strain on your drive as it is in constant use for the time it takes you to encode.

DJAKO
Feb 5, 2008, 09:02 AM
You can strip the copy right protections with MTR and save it as a .mp4? How do you do this, whenever I use MTR I always get the Video folders, etc.

NightStorm
Feb 5, 2008, 09:36 AM
You can strip the copy right protections with MTR and save it as a .mp4? How do you do this, whenever I use MTR I always get the Video folders, etc.

No. It just copies the DVD contents to your hard drive.

DJAKO
Feb 5, 2008, 09:58 AM
No. It just copies the DVD contents to your hard drive.

But you still have to use MTR and then copy the files to VH to encode it in a .mp4?

NightStorm
Feb 5, 2008, 12:40 PM
But you still have to use MTR and then copy the files to VH to encode it in a .mp4?

I have never tried to encode a DVD using VisualHub. The quality and advanced settings (filters, proper anamorphic support, Dolby Prologic II, etc) in Handbrake far surpass anything available in VH.

DJAKO
Feb 5, 2008, 12:46 PM
I have never tried to encode a DVD using VisualHub. The quality and advanced settings (filters, proper anamorphic support, Dolby Prologic II, etc) in Handbrake far surpass anything available in VH.

What do you use VH for then? I'm so confused lol. I want to find the best DVD encoder with the best quality and reliability. This is confusing

MikieMikie
Feb 5, 2008, 01:10 PM
What do you use VH for then? I'm so confused lol. I want to find the best DVD encoder with the best quality and reliability. This is confusing

Well, best quality and easiest to use and reliability are not always the same thing.

Most people who like VHub like it because it can do more formats, as well as convert from, say, DivX to H.264, or DVD to PS3. It's really easy to use, does a good job, and is a no-brainer.

Visual Hub does NOT do chapters. If this is important to you, look to Handbrake.

Handbrake is infintely configurable and does a good job converting (only) DVD files/DVDs to various formats, including our beloved H.264. Handbrake will NOT cross-convert from, say H.264 to anything else. It needs DVD files or a DVD to start its process.

I have found Handbrake to be rock-solid. I have found VHub to hiccup occassionally. Be aware, though, that you get what you pay for in product support. You find a problem with VHub, there's someone there on the other end of the email who is looking to please. On the other end of Handbrake are individuals who have pooled their time and efforts through an open-source project. Don't expect a response to your email.

I do 98% of my encoding with Handbrake since it does as good a job for me as VH. On a "re-encode/cross-encode" or to stitch, say, Amadeus Pt 1. to Amadeus Pt. 2 (a 2-sided DVD), out comes VH.

Which one is better, VH or HB?

The answer: Yes. ;)

jbellanca
Feb 5, 2008, 04:43 PM
Do all you VH guys go from MTR > Visual Hub?

I use HB for DVD and VH for MKV's or Divx videos.

uva25
Feb 15, 2008, 08:34 AM
I do 98% of my encoding with Handbrake since it does as good a job for me as VH. On a "re-encode/cross-encode" or to stitch, say, Amadeus Pt 1. to Amadeus Pt. 2 (a 2-sided DVD), out comes VH.

This "stitching" interest me. I have used HB solely but I have a few two part movies/tv specials that would be nice to combine. Is it possible to merely stich to MP4s together without changing the formatting? For example, can I take two files ripped with HB and just use VH to stitch?

Markleshark
Feb 15, 2008, 08:52 AM
This "stitching" interest me. I have used HB solely but I have a few two part movies/tv specials that would be nice to combine. Is it possible to merely stich to MP4s together without changing the formatting? For example, can I take two files ripped with HB and just use VH to stitch?

Yup, you certainly can.

uva25
Feb 15, 2008, 08:55 AM
Yup, you certainly can.
Thanks. So I drag the two files into VH and then what? I assume I don't select "Go Nuts" or that will change the formatting. I don't see that option? Thanks.

Cordeiro
Feb 15, 2008, 09:20 AM
Hi,
Am I missing something or Visual Hub doesn't have support for subtitles?

MikieMikie
Feb 15, 2008, 09:21 AM

Uhm... I was unable to stich together two different M4v/mp4 files. I was, however, able to have VH stitch together two VOB encodes while encoding... For example, with Amadeus, I ripped both sides of the DVD, then added each DVD to VH, clicked the "Go nuts" checkbox, and made sure the stich checkbox was checked.

A while later, *POOF* -- a single MP4 file, perfectly muxed, and all happy.

toddngina
Feb 15, 2008, 10:29 AM
For those of us planning on getting :apple:TV, but still plugging along on a windows machine, what do you recommend as a good windows equivelant of Mactheripper?

Thx

dynaflash
Feb 15, 2008, 10:36 AM
anydvd for windows is far and away the best ripper out there. Mac or Win. Us mac users can only dream that they would release it for mac.

alFR
Feb 15, 2008, 10:36 AM
I've used SmartRipper on Windows with good results.

kagharaht
Feb 15, 2008, 10:40 AM
Hi,
Am I missing something or Visual Hub doesn't have support for subtitles?

No it doesn't support subtitles as far as I can see. I didn't see chapter markers also in the options.

motulist
Feb 15, 2008, 10:58 AM
anydvd for windows is far and away the best ripper out there. Mac or Win.

Why do you say that? What makes anydvd better than mtr? Just reading its website makes it seem like almost exactly the same thing.

aloofman
Feb 15, 2008, 11:07 AM
I much prefer Visual Hub because I've never gotten Handbrake to work correctly on my Mac Mini. It either takes hours to do anything and then crashes, or the new movie doesn't play. I've never heard of anyone else having so much trouble with Handbrake, but that was my experience.

Markleshark
Feb 15, 2008, 11:11 AM
DVDShrink on Windows. Thats what I use anywho.

bacaramac
Feb 15, 2008, 11:21 AM
Why do you say that? What makes anydvd better than mtr? Just reading its website makes it seem like almost exactly the same thing.

I can give a +1 for anydvd. I have gone as far as using Boot Camp just to use AnyDVD and rip my DVD's to my HD.

AnyDVD just works and has no limitations like MTR (new protection, etc). If a DVD doesn't work, AnyDVD always has an update out to fix it right away.

OllyW
Feb 15, 2008, 11:34 AM
anydvd for windows is far and away the best ripper out there. Mac or Win. Us mac users can only dream that they would release it for mac.

I can give a +1 for anydvd. I have gone as far as using Boot Camp just to use AnyDVD and rip my DVD's to my HD.

AnyDVD just works and has no limitations like MTR (new protection, etc). If a DVD doesn't work, AnyDVD always has an update out to fix it right away.

I've got to agree, AnyDVD combined with CloneDVD is the best ripping / cloning software I've used on any platform. The updates for any new protection usually arrive before the new DVDs even hit the shops and the speed of the rip, compress and burn process beats anything on the Mac side.

I usually use the Mac alternatives now but if I ever need to clone a number of discs, I'll boot into Windows and use AnyDVD & CloneDVD.

uva25
Feb 15, 2008, 11:39 AM
Uhm... I was unable to stich together two different M4v/mp4 files. I was, however, able to have VH stitch together two VOB encodes while encoding... For example, with Amadeus, I ripped both sides of the DVD, then added each DVD to VH, clicked the "Go nuts" checkbox, and made sure the stich checkbox was checked.

A while later, *POOF* -- a single MP4 file, perfectly muxed, and all happy.
Thanks. What did you use to rip? I guess this doesn't help me for all the files I've already done with HB but I can try in the future.

toddngina
Feb 15, 2008, 11:43 AM
Does Clone DVD convert to an Apple TV format easily?

MikieMikie
Feb 15, 2008, 11:59 AM
Thanks. What did you use to rip? I guess this doesn't help me for all the files I've already done with HB but I can try in the future.

You're welcome. I used (and still try to use) MacTheRipper, V3.0 R14. The problem is, it is consistently failing on all the newer titles. What I have is the last "free" version.

I wouldn't mind paying for it, but the guy wants to be paid in Swiss Francs through PayPal. Sigh. I don't know if it's worth jumping through those hoops.

I have Parallels installed, so I plan on trying some of the Windows solutions listed above in this thread.

BTW, I, too, was a little disappointed that there was no reasonable solution for slicing two H.264 files. QT Pro will do it, but when the time estimated exceeded 24 hours, I just killed the process. Sigh.

srobert
Feb 15, 2008, 12:01 PM
You guys should make use of that tresure trove on info and put together a bunch of MarRumors Guides (How to rip, best apps, suggested settings, etc…). :D I mean it. That could be very handy.

MikieMikie
Feb 15, 2008, 12:04 PM
You guys should make use of that tresure trove on info and put together a bunch of MarRumors Guides (How to rip, best apps, suggested settings, etc…). :D I mean it. That could be very handy.

I've been thinking about compiling a lot of info like this, but wouldn't know how to go about making it sticky.

srobert
Feb 15, 2008, 12:06 PM
I've been thinking about compiling a lot of info like this, but wouldn't know how to go about making it sticky.

Create a Guide (http://guides.macrumors.com/) (here's how (http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:How_to_Create_a_New_Page)) then make it a Forum head (http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Guides:ForumHead_Instructions) for the Apple TV section. More versatile than a sticky and lots of people can contribute to the effort. Now get to work guys :p

MikieMikie
Feb 15, 2008, 12:15 PM
Create a Guide (http://guides.macrumors.com/) (here's how (http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:How_to_Create_a_New_Page)) then make it a Forum head (http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Guides:ForumHead_Instructions) for the Apple TV section. More versatile than a sticky and lots of people can contribute to the effort. Now get to work guys :p

Thanks. I'll get to work on it as soon as I get home from work. (I don't think my boss would appreciate the effort. :) )

Oilbrnr
Feb 15, 2008, 01:19 PM
I'm probably doing it the hard way, but I use AnyDVD/CloneDVD running in Parallels to produce the VOB, and then VH to make the .mp4 then MetaX to put it into iTunes.

On a Core2 Mini it takes about 10 min to make the VOB and around 200 min. to make the .mp4 with VH.

uva25
Mar 7, 2008, 10:31 PM
I have 4 home movie files already converted to MP4. I'd like to stitch them together but do I lose the seperation of the 4? For example can I skip to the end of the first file or will it be treated as one big file when trying to fast forward/skip through chapters? Thanks.

thunderclap
Mar 7, 2008, 10:54 PM
While I have both and use both for various reasons the thing I like about Handbrake is that I can encode multiple audio tracks into the file (i.e. soundtrack and commentary). I can't do that with VisualHub as far as I can tell.

Dingo Dave 69
Mar 8, 2008, 09:11 AM
Can someone help me.

So far I have been using handbrake to convert my movies from DVD. I decided to try visual hub.

Once I have ripped my DVD using MTR Do I drag all the files in the VIDEO_TS Folder into visual hub and click to convert?

Also I am using the Apple TV 5.1. setting in visualhub, should I be ticking the box "H.264 Encoding? What does this do?

Many thanks :)

uva25
Mar 10, 2008, 07:49 PM
I've been using VH to convert Mpeg2 movies to Mpeg4 for the appletv. Things have been great but recently I've had 2 movies have audio issues. Clicking sounds and out of sync. I use the Apple TV setting and go nuts. Any suggestions?

ttopp
Mar 15, 2008, 09:53 AM
ok visual hub.. it was all going well i encoded a file so that it was in wide screen instead of the old box way erm :o no wide screen lol

anyway i get a im complete from visual hub took 280 odd mins to do. im watching the newly created file in wide screen it looked good no brilliant but good. halfway through the film it stopps :eek: ?????

thats it, it only did half the original file?? i tried it again and snap same thing?? :(

y is this??? anyone...

i was on an intel alu imac 24inch 2.8 extreme 4gig ram??? loads o hard drive left (over 200gig) i had visual hub encode to home theater go nuts 1200 by 800 pixlels.... the original file was an avi 1.2 gig in size the new was 3.6 gig in size....

Help please

RRutter
Oct 18, 2008, 11:25 PM
ok visual hub.. it was all going well i encoded a file so that it was in wide screen instead of the old box way erm :o no wide screen lol

anyway i get a im complete from visual hub took 280 odd mins to do. im watching the newly created file in wide screen it looked good no brilliant but good. halfway through the film it stopps :eek: ?????

thats it, it only did half the original file?? i tried it again and snap same thing?? :(

y is this??? anyone...

i was on an intel alu imac 24inch 2.8 extreme 4gig ram??? loads o hard drive left (over 200gig) i had visual hub encode to home theater go nuts 1200 by 800 pixlels.... the original file was an avi 1.2 gig in size the new was 3.6 gig in size....

Help please

I had this, as well. I ripped The Ringer with MacTheRipper, tried converting the VIDEO_TS files into Apple TV H.264, and than I put it in my iTunes, than I opened it on my :apple:TV, and it stopped about half way/3-4'ths through the movie.. :confused:

RRutter
Oct 18, 2008, 11:28 PM

Uhm, that's not possible - I am doing Standard quality in VH, converting to "Apple TV", H.264, and it's at 139 minutes remaining. Wish I had your computer, if what you're saying is true..

Jatku
Oct 19, 2008, 01:43 AM
On my PowerBook G4, Handbrake only took 10-18 hours to get a good movie... That was for MPEG-4 files, not H.264. I bet you guys are jealous :p

LinMac
Oct 19, 2008, 02:44 AM
Uhm, that's not possible - I am doing Standard quality in VH, converting to "Apple TV", H.264, and it's at 139 minutes remaining. Wish I had your computer, if what you're saying is true..

The really interesting thing here is that Handbrake and Visualhub both use the exact same backend software. They are both based on libavcodec/ffmpeg/x264 (Handbrake 0.9.3) so for one to be significantly faster than the other seems unlikely.

RRutter
Oct 19, 2008, 09:40 AM
The really interesting thing here is that Handbrake and Visualhub both use the exact same backend software. They are both based on libavcodec/ffmpeg/x264 (Handbrake 0.9.3) so for one to be significantly faster than the other seems unlikely.

I did not know they had the same backened software. And yes, I thought it was 'unusual' or unusually impossible for his computer to take under and hour in Go Nuts mode. That's funny that the both use the same software, just different templates.

dynaflash
Oct 20, 2008, 11:02 AM

Um, no. VisualHub is an applescript based gui wrapper for ffmpeg (which has its own very outdated version of x264 in it). Not unlike ffmpegx.

HandBrake, while it uses libavcodec to decode non dvd input sources in the snapshot and ffmpeg just for its ffmpeg mp4 output. Uses its own versions of many different encoding libraries, etc. Particularly the version of libx264 in HandBrake is *much* newer than the old version included in VH's ffmpeg (which is also old).

HandBrake uses a highly modified version of a completely different muxer for mp4 than VH (why do you think VH cannot do comparable AC3 passthrough in mp4 like HB ?) There are many other huge differences. Other than they both encode video, they really are quite different "under the hood".

RRutter
Oct 20, 2008, 08:59 PM
Um, no. VisualHub is an applescript based gui wrapper for ffmpeg (which has its own very outdated version of x264 in it). Not unlike ffmpegx.

HandBrake, while it uses libavcodec to decode non dvd input sources in the snapshot and ffmpeg just for its ffmpeg mp4 output. Uses its own versions of many different encoding libraries, etc. Particularly the version of libx264 in HandBrake is *much* newer than the old version included in VH's ffmpeg (which is also old).

HandBrake uses a highly modified version of a completely different muxer for mp4 than VH (why do you think VH cannot do comparable AC3 passthrough in mp4 like HB ?) There are many other huge differences. Other than they both encode video, they really are quite different "under the hood".

Which one is better, in your opinion?

NightStorm
Oct 20, 2008, 09:29 PM
Which one is better, in your opinion?
While I won't speak directly for dynaflash, I think his opinion is QUITE biased... :p

dynaflash
Oct 21, 2008, 09:24 AM
While I won't speak directly for dynaflash, I think his opinion is QUITE biased... :p
Me ? Biased ? Nah ;)

installingcats
Nov 14, 2008, 08:20 AM

Dynaflash,

Could you (or anyone else) suggest some encoding options for Handbrake that would make it match VisualHub's visual quality when it comes to x264 MP4 encoding?

Side by side, when transcoding .VOB's or .avi's into .mp4 for use on an iPod Touch, VisualHub's visual crispness is definitely better "out of the box", than Handbrake (tweaked to use 2 pass encoding & turbo on the first).

Thanks for any suggestions.

dynaflash
Nov 14, 2008, 09:08 AM
well, not really only because I do not use VH at all for the most part. I have played with it. But do not use it really. I would have to know exactly what VH is using for bitrate, etc for the iPod touch.

One thing to note: in HB if you use the iPod Hi Rez preset (hint: that will be renamed in the next public release, but I digress) you should get a very crisp movie. The actual iPhone/iPod touch preset built into HB 0.9.2 is designed just for the iPod's screen and tries for a compromise of file size and quailty due to the relatively low storage available on the iPhone at the time it was written.

In HB give the iPod Hi-Rez preset a try, you should notice a better picture due in part to the higher video bitrate it uses as well as proportionately larger file sizes.

If you want to try something totally new, there is a nifty Apple > Universal Preset in the HandBrake Dev Snapshot 5 which you will see at the HB forums. Be sure to Update your Built in Presets. It reportedly looks awesome on the iPhone/iPod touch as well as the atv.

(Important Note: as per the text in the snapshot announcment, there is officially no support for the development snapshots, so don't ask about it on the HB forums. )

Kilamite
Nov 15, 2008, 10:34 AM
(Important Note: as per the text in the snapshot announcment, there is officially no support for the development snapshots, so don't ask about it on the HB forums. )

You guys like to lock threads eh ;) I asked a question and got told to turn on a feature in the Snapshot, I said it didn't work and my original question was nothing to do with the Snapshot features, and my thread got locked!

dynaflash
Nov 15, 2008, 11:54 AM
um, okay. Don't really want to get into it here though. Plus make sure when you do ask you include an activity log.