PDA

View Full Version : Ask us Macbook Air Owners Questions?

Cybergypsy
Feb 5, 2008, 07:32 AM
This thread is to ask for photos and any questions you have about the Air.
Myself and other owners will give you as much info as you need to decide if is right for you.

Clix Pix
Feb 5, 2008, 09:13 AM
I will probably be buying a MBA later this week..... I am wondering about the USB port and using a USB hub with it. For instance, when I am traveling I will be taking photographs and then uploading into the MBA via a USB memory card reader. In a hotel where there is no wireless connectivity and where I'll have to use the USB port for ethernet, will I be able to successfully plug in the USB hub and then plug in the ethernet dongle thingy and the memory card reader simultaneously?

clayj
Feb 5, 2008, 09:19 AM
I will probably be buying a MBA later this week..... I am wondering about the USB port and using a USB hub with it. For instance, when I am traveling I will be taking photographs and then uploading into the MBA via a USB memory card reader. In a hotel where there is no wireless connectivity and where I'll have to use the USB port for ethernet, will I be able to successfully plug in the USB hub and then plug in the ethernet dongle thingy and the memory card reader simultaneously?Yes. Just make sure that the hub you get is not physically constrained (due to the design of its casing, for example) from being able to plug into the MBA's USB port. Investing in a short USB extension cable is probably a good idea.

jameskohn
Feb 5, 2008, 09:21 AM
A hub is one answer...

Whenever I travel, unless I am 100% sure that my hotel has wireless high speed internet in every room, I throw an airport express in my bag. This has been very convenient a number of times, allowing me to have web access anywhere in the room, on a terrace, etc.

Clix Pix
Feb 5, 2008, 09:28 AM
Thank you both! Yes, as it happens I DO have an Airport Express -- that's an excellent idea to take that along to provide my own wireless setup in the room, free up that lone USB port! I had noticed comments in other posts about the probable need for a USB extension cable; guess I'll add that to the shopping list! Does the Apple store carry these or is this something I'll need to get at MicroCenter?

Catch
Feb 5, 2008, 09:37 AM
A hub is one answer...

Whenever I travel, unless I am 100% sure that my hotel has wireless high speed internet in every room, I throw an airport express in my bag. This has been very convenient a number of times, allowing me to have web access anywhere in the room, on a terrace, etc.

+1 Sitting on a beachfront hotel terrace working is far superior to sitting indoors stuck to a cable. Never leave home without an express! :)

C

imisssefler
Feb 5, 2008, 09:41 AM
Can I use bluetooth headphones to listen to music with the computer? I've never used them before and I'm not quite sure how they work.

Cybergypsy
Feb 5, 2008, 09:45 AM
Can I use bluetooth headphones to listen to music with the computer? I've never used them before and I'm not quite sure how they work.Yes it connect to any bluetooth item easy....

teerexx52
Feb 5, 2008, 09:47 AM
I will probably be buying a MBA later this week..... I am wondering about the USB port and using a USB hub with it. For instance, when I am traveling I will be taking photographs and then uploading into the MBA via a USB memory card reader. In a hotel where there is no wireless connectivity and where I'll have to use the USB port for ethernet, will I be able to successfully plug in the USB hub and then plug in the ethernet dongle thingy and the memory card reader simultaneously?

I just got back from Office Max buying a USB Hub to do similar things to what you have posted. I tried several Bus powered ones and there was not enough power to run two items. I bought a small 4 port powered one this morning that works great with my external portable Hard drive and my ipod

Mikebuzzsaw
Feb 5, 2008, 09:47 AM
I'd buy a cheapy usb hub for now. I bet you after a month or so, some company will make a super portable usb hub that is meant for the mba.

mctheriot
Feb 5, 2008, 12:44 PM
I have a powered hub at my desk but for travel I use this one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8467303&st=dynex&lp=6&type=product&cp=1&id=1193234014592

It has a little 1" USB cable that folds up for travel so it's great to use with the Air! I've got it hooked up now with a USB mouse/keyboard controller, a printers, scanner and my Sierra wireless cellular modem - no problems.

Mark

teerexx52
Feb 5, 2008, 12:49 PM
I have a powered hub at my desk but for travel I use this one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8467303&st=dynex&lp=6&type=product&cp=1&id=1193234014592

It has a little 1" USB cable that folds up for travel so it's great to use with the Air! I've got it hooked up now with a USB mouse/keyboard controller, a printers, scanner and my Sierra wireless cellular modem - no problems.

Mark

Where did you get the little USB cable?

lekun
Feb 5, 2008, 01:22 PM
Any one use Lightroom with their MacBook Air? How is the performance? What about photo tasks in Photoshop?

pieseller
Feb 5, 2008, 01:27 PM
how does the MBA handle HD movie trailers? like the ones available for watching through apples trailers site. is it smooth without any jumps or does it glitch with the sound of video at all. i would be very interested to know.

aep42686
Feb 5, 2008, 01:29 PM
has anyone played with imovie in the MBA yet? is it fast?

clayj
Feb 5, 2008, 01:36 PM
how does the MBA handle HD movie trailers? like the ones available for watching through apples trailers site. is it smooth without any jumps or does it glitch with the sound of video at all. i would be very interested to know.The 720p trailers run great, very smooth with no hiccups. 1080p trailers are a bit jumpy, but you shouldn't be playing those anyway because they have to be downconverted to show on the MBA's display in the first place.

rsbell
Feb 5, 2008, 01:49 PM
A hub is one answer...

I do this every time I travel.

mctheriot
Feb 5, 2008, 02:00 PM
It's actually built into the hub - the cable is hard-wired. It tucks away inside the unit when not in use.

Mark

Where did you get the little USB cable?

Sandy Santra
Feb 5, 2008, 02:17 PM
Is anyone using the Sierra Wireless USBConnect 881 HSUPA USB modem via AT&T with their MBA? (or something similar).

I need to find a product that can be plugged into the USB port that will give me internet connectivity on-the-go all the time. I've found that Wi-Fi in the U.S. is just not prevalent or consistent enough.

Thanks!

angrygolfer
Feb 5, 2008, 02:28 PM
has anyone played with imovie in the MBA yet? is it fast?

I am also curious about how imovie runs.

ajaidev
Feb 5, 2008, 02:39 PM
Hi all my new AIR is my fav. after the Ibook clamshell but i am haveing a few issues with the new AIR....

Just got my AIR via apple store INDIA for almost $2400 (Ya i had to pay customs almost $600) anyhow since it was suppose to be an replacement for my old G5 Power Mac i figered that my new AIR could do everything that my old PowerMac could so i gave it to my younger cosin now the problem is that i cant play a lot of game that i used to on my old power mac the list is:-

Civilization IV works with update
COD 2 does not work at all even after alll updates
Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 does not work properly
Hitman Contracts works quite well
Colin McRae updated does not work properly
Need for speed works gr8

GTA SA works but hangs a bit like its on a 100Mhz processer or some thing BTW i had no updates for this..!! Does anyone have them??

Now my second problem my usb lacie DVD DRIVE (Not APPLES superdrive mindit does not work it used to work on the powermac)

teerexx52
Feb 5, 2008, 02:41 PM
It's actually built into the hub - the cable is hard-wired. It tucks away inside the unit when not in use.

MarkThanks

paulbaker
Feb 5, 2008, 02:42 PM
Hi all my new AIR is my fav. after the Ibook clamshell but i am haveing a few issues with the new AIR....

Just got my AIR via apple store INDIA for almost $2400 (Ya i had to pay customs almost $600) anyhow since it was suppose to be an replacement for my old G5 Power Mac i figered that my new AIR could do everything that my old PowerMac could so i gave it to my younger cosin now the problem is that i cant play a lot of game that i used to on my old power mac the list is:-

Civilization IV works with update
COD 2 does not work at all even after alll updates
Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 does not work properly
Hitman Contracts works quite well
Colin McRae updated does not work properly
Need for speed works gr8

GTA SA works but hangs a bit like its on a 100Mhz processer or some thing BTW i had no updates for this..!! Does anyone have them??

Now my second problem my usb lacie DVD DRIVE (Not APPLES superdrive mindit does not work it used to work on the powermac)

Has anyone had any experience using an external monitor? I run a 22" from my MB now.

teerexx52
Feb 5, 2008, 02:45 PM
Has anyone had any experience using an external monitor? I run a 22" from my MB now.

Yes, I was just running my 24". No problems

bjdraw
Feb 5, 2008, 02:45 PM

It works perfectly with my 20-inch cinema display.

Cybergypsy
Feb 5, 2008, 03:02 PM
yep ran my sons 24 inch.....

lekun
Feb 5, 2008, 03:07 PM
Also, anyone run XP via VMWare fusion? How was the speed?

mctheriot
Feb 5, 2008, 06:48 PM
The 881 in the modem I use - 3G is not too bad at all. The modem fits fine with the MBA.

Mark

Is anyone using the Sierra Wireless USBConnect 881 HSUPA USB modem via AT&T with their MBA? (or something similar).

I need to find a product that can be plugged into the USB port that will give me internet connectivity on-the-go all the time. I've found that Wi-Fi in the U.S. is just not prevalent or consistent enough.

Thanks!

paulbaker
Feb 5, 2008, 06:57 PM
Well, I guess I am out of excuses. I wish that I actually "needed" a new machine, that would make it easier.

0s and 1s
Feb 5, 2008, 07:13 PM
1.8/80gb HDD owners or any HDD owner for that matter:

I'm used to the HD click ever since my G3 iBook, but my HD clicks consistently every 5 seconds or so. I also get these these sudden bursts of clicks (7 or so) within a 3 second span. This tends to occur 3x per hour. I'm not doing anything CPU intensive by any means. In fact, all programs were closed when I tested this.

Help please! :(

ipodtouchy333
Feb 5, 2008, 07:23 PM
How would I get some stuff of my Dell PC onto my macbook air, even though i don't have one...yet (waiting for revision 2). Anyways, it would just be stuff like iTunes, not too much but I'm new to macs so I really don't know anything. Ha. Thanks !

sting0r
Feb 5, 2008, 07:27 PM
I second that. I just picked a 881u up today and fits no problem at all. Don't have a 3G signal yet, so I haven't tested that part yet, but connects fine on EDGE. Wish AT&T would get around to expanding their network, I get a great signal on Verizon....

The 881 in the modem I use - 3G is not too bad at all. The modem fits fine with the MBA.

Mark

orthodoc
Feb 5, 2008, 07:48 PM
Also, anyone run XP via VMWare fusion? How was the speed?

I installed Fusion and Windows XP Pro. So far, it seems pretty snappy. Probably not as fast as a windoze box, but quick enough for my moderate needs.

Cybergypsy
Feb 5, 2008, 07:52 PM

I'm used to the HD click ever since my G3 iBook, but my HD clicks consistently every 5 seconds or so. I also get these these sudden bursts of clicks (7 or so) within a 3 second span. This tends to occur 3x per hour. I'm not doing anything CPU intensive by any means. In fact, all programs were closed when I tested this.

no clicks at all its silent really :)

abijnk
Feb 5, 2008, 08:00 PM
I am seriously addicted to my Nintendo 64 emulator, it is the most intense thing (graphically) that I currently use on my MacBook. Will this still run relatively smoothly on the air (if anyone has any experience with emulators on it that is :) )

Also, and this might be answered somewhere else, but since I am writing, how much room is empty on the 80GB?

Thanks All!!!!

0s and 1s
Feb 5, 2008, 08:05 PM
no clicks at all its silent really :)

Shush, SSD owner! :p

Cybergypsy
Feb 5, 2008, 08:07 PM
Shush, SSD owner! :p

no 80HDD owner never hear a click or noise......

ubercool
Feb 5, 2008, 08:07 PM
I do this every time I travel.

You have to carry a portable basestation because many hotels, like the Marriott I'm staying in right now, don't have wireless only wired! I use the Linksys Wireless-G Travel Router and it works great with the MBA.

The advantage of using your own basestation is that I can have all my three lappys connected simultaneously, which is hog heaven! :D

abhorsen
Feb 5, 2008, 08:11 PM
Any one use Lightroom with their MacBook Air? How is the performance? What about photo tasks in Photoshop?

I have CS3 on my 2.4 Ghz iMac and now the Air. The short answer is that PS runs just fine on the Air. A tad slower than the 2.4 Ghz Mac in some tasks, but overall I was quite happy when I processed a roll of 24 shots this morning.

duffyanneal
Feb 5, 2008, 08:16 PM

Mine is dead silent.

0s and 1s
Feb 5, 2008, 08:24 PM
no 80HDD owner never hear a click or noise......

Ugh. :(

I guess I'll bring it in.

lekun
Feb 5, 2008, 08:28 PM
I installed Fusion and Windows XP Pro. So far, it seems pretty snappy. Probably not as fast as a windoze box, but quick enough for my moderate needs.

My needs are pretty much outlook and office 2007 - is that what you are doing?

And are you cramped on that 80 gig hard drive with a windows install?

kmc0929
Feb 5, 2008, 08:34 PM
so im still waiting on the mbp, i sold me 2.2 which is starting feel like a bad idea, about 2 months ago. so in the mean time, i was thinking about taking the money and buying a macbook air, just to use around the house for a couple weeks, untill the new mbp comes out, and then i would sell the mba on like craigslist for say 1700, since thats what i am paying with student discount and no tax since im in alaska. bad idea?

aiongiant
Feb 5, 2008, 08:43 PM
no harddrive noise either on mine
and the only thing is the fan was going crazy earlier when i first started but now charging and woke up from sleep.. no noise at all..
i think it was the spotlight indexing thing i think someone in the forum mentioned it

the other thing is the wobbly surface if you press on the left side.. kinda annoying actually.. but putting a bit of tape on the rubber piece solves it

mcdj
Feb 5, 2008, 10:05 PM
Ok here's a question/favor. Below is an artist's rendition of how I lounge with my 12" Powerbook. Note the angle of the screen in relation to the keyboard; keyboard perpendicular to stomach, bottom edge resting on stomach, screen pointed slightly downwards towards black circle (my face).

I love the Powerbook because I can use it in this vertical-esque position to watch movies and surf in bed.

I played with the MBA and noticed it doesn't open nearly as wide as the PB.

Could someone please lay down on your bed or couch and hold the MBA in the manner I've depicted *(edit...as wide as it will open)* and tell me if you can see the screen ok?

I know some people like to lay the keyboard flat on their stomach while laying down. I find it gets too hot, and I can't see the bottom part of the screen.

Thanks.

MazingerZ
Feb 5, 2008, 10:07 PM
Ok here's a question/favor. Below is an artist's rendition of how I lounge with my 12" Powerbook. Note the angle of the screen in relation to the keyboard; keyboard perpendicular to stomach, bottom edge resting on stomach, screen pointed slightly downwards towards black circle (my face).

I love the Powerbook because I can use it in this vertical-esque position to watch movies and surf in bed.

I played with the MBA and noticed it doesn't open nearly as wide as the PB.

Could someone please lay down on your bed or couch and hold the computer in the manner I've depicted and tell me if you can see the screen ok?

I know some people like to lay the keyboard flat on their stomach while laying down. I find it gets too hot, and I can't see the bottom part of the screen.

Thanks.

Not possible in the MBA...the screen won't open that far back.

aiongiant
Feb 5, 2008, 10:35 PM
i just compared it to my macbook pro
and the screen opens up just a lil bit more than the mbp

bguillemette6
Feb 6, 2008, 02:26 AM
OK....I've got a 1.8- 80HD Air on order.

I ordered a bit late as I started w/ 1.8 + SSD but decided that 3200 skins for this is just insane and canceled on Jan 21,08 (now the wait...Feb 10-12 it says :( )

as you can see, I've had thoughts on all versions...now I'm thinking of just the base model. (I tested them here locally in Boston). My Question:

Current Air owners...if you could order all over would you a.) order the same model? b.) Order a better or worse model? c.) skip it? <----a.b., or c and WHY?

I settled on 1.8 + 80HD with theory of swapping out drive in Year 2.

Tanks!

aiongiant
Feb 6, 2008, 02:29 AM
i would order the same model

so far testing it.. it's pretty quick.. and does what i want

i would maybe go with SSD IF the price goes down.. only IF
but i'm pretty happy with the 80gb right now

and i still dont' think 1.8 is worth the extra $300

pieseller
Feb 6, 2008, 09:34 AM
The 720p trailers run great, very smooth with no hiccups. 1080p trailers are a bit jumpy, but you shouldn't be playing those anyway because they have to be downconverted to show on the MBA's display in the first place.

can you explain any more on this? do any of apples notebooks play 1080p? is the difference in quality noticable.

cherishbearpapa
Feb 6, 2008, 09:53 AM
Could someone please try this sample of Transformers in 1080p with your new Air and let me know if it's watchable (smooth/jerky)?

http://rapidshare.com/files/65877715/Transformers.HDDVD.1080p_20DTS.x264-CtrlHD.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/65877592/Transformers.HDDVD.1080p_20DTS.x264-CtrlHD.part2.rar

Please use VLC to play the file above.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

THANKS A MILLION MATE!!!!!!

ajaidev
Feb 6, 2008, 10:15 AM
Could someone please try this sample of Transformers in 1080p with your new Air and let me know if it's watchable (smooth/jerky)?

http://rapidshare.com/files/65877715/Transformers.HDDVD.1080p_20DTS.x264-CtrlHD.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/65877592/Transformers.HDDVD.1080p_20DTS.x264-CtrlHD.part2.rar

Please use VLC to play the file above.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

THANKS A MILLION MATE!!!!!!

It works great i have not downloaded ur movie but HD from itunes works very very very welllll:p i love the Air on account of my old G3 clamshell could not even play a DVD at that time:rolleyes: