PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air Ethernet Dongle Drivers

johnlvx
Feb 5, 2008, 03:15 PM
Has anyone had success getting the dongle to work with Boot Camp? I plugged it in and Vista cannot find the driver. It does not seem to be on the Boot Camp Drivers portion of the OSX install kit either.

clayj
Feb 5, 2008, 03:18 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Boot Camp drivers don't include a driver for this new dongle... because the Boot Camp driver set predates the MBA USB Ethernet dongle. How could it include a driver for a product that was not yet released?

foltzie
Feb 5, 2008, 03:36 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Boot Camp drivers don't include a driver for this new dongle... because the Boot Camp driver set predates the MBA USB Ethernet dongle. How could it include a driver for a product that was not yet released?

I'm a bit suprised that its not recognized by Windows a generic USB Ethernet device. Makes me wonder what is inside the dongle.

johnlvx
Feb 5, 2008, 03:39 PM
I'm a bit suprised that its not recognized by Windows a generic USB Ethernet device. Makes me wonder what is inside the dongle.

When I get home on the wireless LAN, I will allow Vista to "search online" for a driver. Will report back.

airboot
Feb 5, 2008, 05:15 PM
Could not get it working under WinXP either. Can't find the driver.

Silentwave
Feb 6, 2008, 12:22 AM
I couldn't even get it working on a MB in Leopard, much less Windows.

MacRumorUser
Feb 6, 2008, 04:30 AM

Why would you need it to work on a MB ?

johnlvx
Feb 6, 2008, 07:53 AM

The packaging clearly states that it is for the Macbook Air only.

Webqueen
Feb 7, 2008, 05:08 AM
I have talked to Applecare twice in the past couple of days about the USB Ethernet Adapter not working on the Windows side of the Air, and the need for drivers. They do not have anything available in their system about this problem (hopefully they do now!)

I am using an old Linksys USB Ethernet adapter on the Windows side and am waiting until drivers are released for the Apple product.

Kathy

tnkgrl
Feb 10, 2008, 06:56 PM
I've hacked together some Windows drivers for the Apple USB Ethernet adapter: http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2008/02/10/windows-drivers-for-apple-usb-ethernet-adapter/

ccclapp
Feb 11, 2008, 08:12 AM
I've hacked together some Windows drivers for the Apple USB Ethernet adapter: http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2008/02/10/windows-drivers-for-apple-usb-ethernet-adapter/

THANKS!

...now do you have drivers to better control the AIR touchpad and to enable the Superdrive (DVD/CD) to work on a USB hub (so we dont have to decide between DVD/CD and ethernet on the single USB port). As to the touchpad, the scrollling is much too fast and sometimes the TP just stops working alltogether and I need to reboot to get my curser control back.

I love the AIR under Boot Camp, but these three things drive me crazy. Thanks for fixing one of them. Ill try your driver now.

Ill do a separate post on this, so I dont hijack your thread.

Thanks

ccclapp
Feb 11, 2008, 08:31 AM
The driver works! Thanks

Am I correct that this is only a 10/100 speed connector? FYI Belkin, Lynksis and a few others make small 10/1000 USB connectors, but this Mac one is better for travel (sleeker).

kkrull
Feb 12, 2008, 08:40 PM

tnkgrl - I couldn't get this to work on Vista x64 obviously. What are the odds that it would work or could be made to work? I am guessing even odds that someone else who OEMs the Linksys USB200M decides they need x64 drivers sometome down the road. With a 18kb .sys file I wouldn't think it would be too hard. I couldn't find anyone who does so today.

whozurdaddy
Feb 12, 2008, 09:21 PM
Drivers worked great under XP 32-bit. Thanks for the hack!

IanMacKaye
Feb 29, 2008, 11:25 AM
Any news on official Ethernet-dongle drivers for vista?

uwnav
Mar 5, 2008, 09:56 AM
tnkgrl - I couldn't get this to work on Vista x64 obviously. What are the odds that it would work or could be made to work? I am guessing even odds that someone else who OEMs the Linksys USB200M decides they need x64 drivers sometome down the road. With a 18kb .sys file I wouldn't think it would be too hard. I couldn't find anyone who does so today.

you just did =) lol, just posted the Vista 64-bit drivers at http://www.uwnav.com

joefrank64k
Mar 5, 2008, 03:28 PM
The driver works! Thanks

Am I correct that this is only a 10/100 speed connector? FYI Belkin, Lynksis and a few others make small 10/1000 USB connectors, but this Mac one is better for travel (sleeker).

Yes, it's only a 10/100 speed connector....

kkrull
Mar 12, 2008, 09:03 PM
just posted the Vista 64-bit drivers at http://www.uwnav.com

I couldn't get them to work. The drivers are not signed which means you have to disable driver signing in x64. But I still get an error message that "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing (Code 39)

I am wondering uwnav if maybe you have something already installed that the driver needs.

Anyone else get this working?

uwnav
Mar 12, 2008, 11:32 PM
try going to the original place I got the driver. Possibly the modifications I made to the INF are causing the problem:
http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php?op=pItemdetail&PItemID=86;71;101

Make sure you're doing the whole select your own driver - Have Disk method to select the correct INF

kkrull
Mar 16, 2008, 09:18 PM
Possibly the modifications I made to the INF are causing the problem...Make sure you're doing the whole select your own driver - Have Disk method to select the correct INF

The uploaded file on your site is missing the security catalog. If I copy the security catalog (ax88772ex.cat) from the original ASIX folder to the folder you posted it works fine. For the uninitiated you have to select 'have disk'. Windows won't find the driver on its own. Nice work.

uwnav
Mar 16, 2008, 11:13 PM
yeah, i'm a proper idiot.. updated the file, should be good to go now.

Aaron44126
Jun 18, 2008, 10:36 PM
Any chance of getting the 64-bit Vista version of this driver re-posted?
uwnav's site seems to be down.

Or if someone happens to still have it, if you could zip it up and e-mail it to me (aaronkelley at hotmail dot com), I'll host it and post a link here.

Thanks!

uwnav
Jun 18, 2008, 11:06 PM
yeah, i'm having some good times with my server host. NVM! go straight to the source:
This is where the driver is from: http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php?op=pItemdetail&PItemID=86;71;101

And that's the 64-bit Vista driver. It won't be named "Ethernet Dongle" or anything nice like that.... but it'll work

http://www.asix.com.tw/FrootAttach/driver/AX88772_772A_Vista_64bit_driver_v3.10.3.9_WHQL.zip

Aaron44126
Jun 19, 2008, 07:30 AM
Thanks!

izibo
Jun 19, 2008, 08:07 AM
Have any of you guys tried updating your bootcamp drivers to the newest ones available through Apple (newer than MBA)? I am interested to see if they updated things for the dongle.

BanjoBanker
Jun 19, 2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks to uwnav for their hard work. MR members are the best. This is why folks like Apples so much, the community of owners are wiling and able to offer help anytime. :cool:

alphaod
Jul 12, 2008, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the drivers in the past, but does anyone know where I can get drivers for Vista x64?

glitch44
Jul 13, 2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the drivers in the past, but does anyone know where I can get drivers for Vista x64?

you should probably read the thread. there's a link to them in previous posts.

alphaod
Jul 22, 2008, 05:28 PM
you should probably read the thread. they're a link to them in previous posts.

I did; they don't work.

liftwiththeg
Apr 8, 2010, 12:51 AM
i need to get an MBA working well enough (on windows) to give to my boss.

im going to have to clean install windows because the primary programs this computer will be running are massive and MUST be on the primary HD (SSD)

what are the major driver compatibility issues?

how do you right-click?
i can only think of a usb mouse

im thinking im gonna go with XP because there's no need for an x64 OS with 2GB of ram

im on my HTPC using a remote to type so dont hate on my spelling punctuation capitalization etc.

btw

thats ridiculous that apple makes you pay $30 or whatever for a 10/100

oh and

i love how someone goes "mac users are so great because they always help each-other... " then someone asks a simple question and the thread dies for almost 2 years

Scottsdale
Apr 8, 2010, 10:35 AM
i need to get an MBA working well enough (on windows) to give to my boss.

im going to have to clean install windows because the primary programs this computer will be running are massive and MUST be on the primary HD (SSD)

what are the major driver compatibility issues?

how do you right-click?
i can only think of a usb mouse

im thinking im gonna go with XP because there's no need for an x64 OS with 2GB of ram

im on my HTPC using a remote to type so dont hate on my spelling punctuation capitalization etc.

btw

thats ridiculous that apple makes you pay $30 or whatever for a 10/100

oh and

i love how someone goes "mac users are so great because they always help each-other... " then someone asks a simple question and the thread dies for almost 2 years

A rev C v. 2,1 MBA released in June 2009 hass the USB-Ethernet connector included. The right click isn't a problem. Touch two fingers on the trackpad and click... right click on Windows 7 on the MBA is just that easy. You don't need a mouse (if you wanted a mouse buy a BlueTooth mouse and not a USB mouse as there's only one port and you don't want to carry around a USB connector).

The driver issues I have had on Windows 7 64-bit have been non-existent except, the display stays on full-brightness and the keyboard backlighting is either on full or off.

Even though the Windows 7 64-bit edition isn't officially supported, it runs fine as long as you do the Windows update which installs much better drivers for the Nvidia GPU/graphics. All I did was use the Snow Leopard disk and manually installed the WiFi driver and then updated Windows and allowed it to install all of the other drivers, I think. I might have installed a few but they were overwritten when Windows Update was run.

In all honesty, Windows 7 makes the MBA three times the computer that it is in OS X. I know it's sad but it's true. Microsoft really has their crap together with this OS. It is pleasant to run and it is incredibly stable. In addition, entertainment like video playback and Flash on the MBA are incredible within Windows. It really shows me how screwed up Apple is to not let Adobe optimize Flash for OS X or even iPhone OS. I can run an HD video or Flash video at a 70% drop in CPU usage in Windows vs. OS X.

So there is no fear in using the MBA with Windows 7. And if you use the 32-bit edition of Windows 7 it should be easier to install with BootCamp and run like a charm. Good luck.

Fishrrman
Apr 9, 2010, 09:52 AM
Scottsdale wrote:
"In all honesty, Windows 7 makes the MBA three times the computer that it is in OS X. I know it's sad but it's true. Microsoft really has their crap together with this OS. It is pleasant to run and it is incredibly stable. In addition, entertainment like video playback and Flash on the MBA are incredible within Windows."

This is an off-topic question, but just wondering....

How large (or small) a partition is needed to _comfortably_ install Windows7 (along with a few small-ish apps)? What can I "get away" with, without taking too much "away from" the Mac partition?

Drive in question will be a 128g SSD...

Thanks,
- John

Scottsdale
Apr 10, 2010, 02:15 PM
Scottsdale wrote:
"In all honesty, Windows 7 makes the MBA three times the computer that it is in OS X. I know it's sad but it's true. Microsoft really has their crap together with this OS. It is pleasant to run and it is incredibly stable. In addition, entertainment like video playback and Flash on the MBA are incredible within Windows."

This is an off-topic question, but just wondering....

How large (or small) a partition is needed to _comfortably_ install Windows7 (along with a few small-ish apps)? What can I "get away" with, without taking too much "away from" the Mac partition?

Drive in question will be a 128g SSD...

Thanks,
- John

I wouldn't go any less than 15 GB. I did 28 GB for Windows 7. I use about 65 GB in OS X, and that is by moving all media files and about half of old work files onto a drive connected to AEBS. With Windows 7, I think my OS installation was around 8 GB, but I could be wrong. I installed Office 07 Enterprise, Project, CS 3, and a few other business apps and am using about half of my Windows drive.