PDA

View Full Version : So...I just ordered an Apple TV

gazfocus
Feb 6, 2008, 02:22 AM
After lurking for a couple of weeks, I spotted an Apple TV in the Apple UK Refurbished Store last night so ordered it straight away (for 135 instead of 199).

Now, what cables will I need? I don't have a modern TV at the moment, so will I be able to use it with an ACD? What cables will I need?

Thanks

gr8tfly
Feb 6, 2008, 02:28 AM
I assume that means no digital inputs (HDMI/DVI), so that only leaves component for cable options. The :apple:tv doesn't have composite (single, RCA type) out.

gazfocus
Feb 6, 2008, 05:12 AM
I assume that means no digital inputs (HDMI/DVI), so that only leaves component for cable options. The :apple:tv doesn't have composite (single, RCA type) out.

I have an ACD. Will I be able to use it with that?

hauss316H
Feb 6, 2008, 10:21 AM

unless you have an HD or enhanced definition tv, you wont be able to use it

AliensAreFuzzy
Feb 6, 2008, 10:29 AM

I'm not 100% that it would work, but if you got an HDMI to DVI adapter like this (http://sewelldirect.com/hdmitodviemtofadaptor.asp) one you should be able to plug your ACD into the :apple:TV and you'd need to plug a stereo or something into the stereo RCA (White and Red) connection from the :apple:TV for audio.

imlucid
Feb 6, 2008, 11:16 AM

ATV won't work on a 23" or 30" Cinema Display. It will support smaller displays.

Kevin

/dev/toaster
Feb 6, 2008, 12:36 PM
If you use an AppleTV with a 480i 4:3 display everything will be stretched out and look terrible.

Feb 6, 2008, 01:20 PM
After lurking for a couple of weeks, I spotted an Apple TV in the Apple UK Refurbished Store last night so ordered it straight away (for 135 instead of 199).

Now, what cables will I need? I don't have a modern TV at the moment, so will I be able to use it with an ACD? What cables will I need?

Thanks

Is there any reason you didn't read the specifications before you bought the AppleTV?

gazfocus
Feb 7, 2008, 08:10 AM
Ok, I received my AppleTV and bought a HDMi to DVI Cable off ebay, and it works great (on my ACD!!!)

However, it's a refurbished model and it's got the old software on it (version 1.1).

Is this because the new software isn't on ANY AppleTV's yet?

EDIT: Just spoke to an 'Apple Expert' and she said the Apple TV software update is already available. Anyone know this?

imlucid
Feb 7, 2008, 11:15 AM
EDIT: Just spoke to an 'Apple Expert' and she said the Apple TV software update is already available. Anyone know this?

She is not an 'Apple Expert' in this regard. Apple TV 2.0 has not shipped yet.

Kevin

mmccaskill
Feb 21, 2008, 09:37 PM
ATV won't work on a 23" or 30" Cinema Display. It will support smaller displays.

Kevin

I bought a 30" ACD for work. So much for watching HD content on it.