Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justmehere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
I have this older G3 300MHz or 350MHz machine and would like to know if it will run Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard ? If its at all possible what part exactly needs to be upgraded.

Thanks

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
IF ! and thats a big one - you could edit the sys reqirement bit in 10.5 you could install it - but in all fairness it would be like trying to run with 1 leg

or just buy a new Mac :cool:

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Absolutely not. Leopard minimum requirements are a 867MHz G4 which is 3 times as fast.

I believe the newest operating system you can get on there is Panther.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
Not sure if you would be able to run it. If you did, it would run really slow I would think. I mean, you're talking slower than a G4 867. How much memory you got in the G3?

Apple suggests the following...

Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor.
512MB of memory
DVD drive for installation
9GB of available disk space
DVD Player requires a 1.6GHz processor or faster for improved de-interlacing.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
No - your G3 will not run Leopard. You cannot upgrade it to run Leopard - time to buy a new Mac.

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
Absolutely not. Leopard minimum requirements are a 867MHz G4 which is 3 times as fast.

I believe the newest operating system you can get on there is Panther.

Tiger runs fine on my iMac G3 700 Mhz.
There are some reports it should run faster than panther. Just get enough memory, mine has speeded up enormously when I popped in an extra 512 Mb memory stick.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Tiger runs on your 700Mhz G3 iMac because it meets the system requirements. The 300/350 model iMacs do not.

justmehere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
Not sure if you would be able to run it. If you did, it would run really slow I would think. I mean, you're talking slower than a G4 867. How much memory you got in the G3?

Apple suggests the following...

Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor.
512MB of memory
DVD drive for installation
9GB of available disk space
DVD Player requires a 1.6GHz processor or faster for improved de-interlacing.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I believe its got 256MB if not I can upgrade to 512 easily enought since it takes SDR RAM.

Yippy: I have been able to run Tiger including all updates with no issues. But thanks for the reply.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Hmm... MacTracker said that the 350MHz models couldn't run Tiger. Then I checked the specs and the only requirement is a Firewire port so MacTracker must be wrong about the new 350MHz model.

Tracer

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Don't use Leopard and G3.

Lack of Altivec means that just about no program will work.

Tracer

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Hmm... MacTracker said that the 350MHz models couldn't run Tiger. Then I checked the specs and the only requirement is a Firewire port so MacTracker must be wrong about the new 350MHz model.

I installed Tiger on my iMac 350 this morning. Runs fine. Used Xpostfacto to get around the Firewire requirment.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
If you're "getting by" with a G3, you can get by with any operating system.

Take the $120 that Leopard would cost, plus the $20 you can get for your G3 on eBay and put it toward a new computer of any brand or model.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
my 350 MHz B&W is sitting here next to me running 10.4.11.

I also had a 350 G3 B&W that ran Tiger fine. Didn't have the capability for some FX such as ripple or dashboard swooping in, but other than that it was ok.

Up to a point, the early "G" systems will run whatever's on the hard drive installed in them. It's how you get the OS on to the hard drive that's sometimes the tricky part.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Again, Tiger officially requires a firewire port to run on a machine. This means that the B&W DO meet the system requirements as they have a Firewire port.

However, the 350MHz or below iMacs do not as they have no Firewire. That said, xpostfacto will allow you to install it on these machines.

All I am saying is that officially, according to Apple, Panther is the newest operating system that can be run on the OP machine. But using a hack (xpostfacto) Tiger can be installed on it and it will run very similarly to Panther as long as you have enough ram.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I have this older G3 300MHz or 350MHz machine and would like to know if it will run Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard ? If its at all possible what part exactly needs to be upgraded.

Thanks

it thought i remember hearing about someone insalling leopard on their G3 using firewire target disk mode. installing leopard on the G3 through firewire using a compatible mac. it was slow but it still worked. you can install 2gb ram but the original OS only limited it to 1.5gb so after panther removed that limit on the G3s.

chris344

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008
Again, Tiger officially requires a firewire port to run on a machine. This means that the B&W DO meet the system requirements as they have a Firewire port.

However, the 350MHz or below iMacs do not as they have no Firewire. That said, xpostfacto will allow you to install it on these machines.

All I am saying is that officially, according to Apple, Panther is the newest operating system that can be run on the OP machine. But using a hack (xpostfacto) Tiger can be installed on it and it will run very similarly to Panther as long as you have enough ram.

your worng about tiger cus my imac g3 350mhz has no firewires ports and runs that **** good as hell it can even run vpc fast

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
You cannot run Leopard on your computer for the following reasons:

You have a G3; you need at least a G4; Leopard can't run without an AltiVec unit (or SSE2 unit on an x86).

Even if you upgrade to a G4....

You don't have an AGP slot on your motherboard. Case closed, end of story, it won't work.

You need at least a Sawtooth G4, with an AGP 2x slot. The speed of your G4 matters not in the least, as there's a hack out to lower the system requirements to whatever clockspeed you wish... 100 MHz if you felt like it. Plenty of people have done this.

The XPC107 memory/PCI controller ("Grackle") also has no support under Tiger.

The only G3 capable of running Leopard is the Pismo G3 (laptop), which has AGP graphics, and needs to be upgraded to a G4 in order to work.

The only possibility would be if Ryan makes XPostFacto 5, but it's not likely going to happen.

My advice? Upgrade to 768-1GB of RAM, get a new hard drive, and install Tiger. It runs great on my Beige. I find it faster than Panther, with fewer issues, nicer to use, and there's far more software available for it. I run 10.4.9.

By the way, having a FireWire port has nothing to do with it, they just want a New World ROM.

chris344

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008
You cannot run Leopard on your computer for the following reasons:

You have a G3; you need at least a G4; Leopard can't run without an AltiVec unit (or SSE2 unit on an x86).

Even if you upgrade to a G4....

You don't have an AGP slot on your motherboard. Case closed, end of story, it won't work.

You need at least a Sawtooth G4, with an AGP 2x slot. The speed of your G4 matters not in the least, as there's a hack out to lower the system requirements to whatever clockspeed you wish... 100 MHz if you felt like it. Plenty of people have done this.

The XPC107 memory/PCI controller ("Grackle") also has no support under Tiger.

The only G3 capable of running Leopard is the Pismo G3 (laptop), which has AGP graphics, and needs to be upgraded to a G4 in order to work.

The only possibility would be if Ryan makes XPostFacto 5, but it's not likely going to happen.

My advice? Upgrade to 768-1GB of RAM, get a new hard drive, and install Tiger. It runs great on my Beige. I find it faster than Panther, with fewer issues, nicer to use, and there's far more software available for it. I run 10.4.9.

By the way, having a FireWire port has nothing to do with it, they just want a New World ROM.

well ur right about that but can i put mac os x 10.5 on my dell it has sse2 but i just want to now if it will work thinks

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
As echoed above:

The highest OS version of OS X you can run on a USB-equipped (post 233MHz non-beige G3 Mac) is Tiger 10.4.11 -- for the install you will likely also need a DVD drive for that, which the earlier iMacs don't have...an image on an external drive can be hacked to install Tiger 10.4 on a non-DVD G3 Mac.

For Leopard 10.5, the "Apple-indicated" minimum required for install is an 867MHz G4 or higher. That would be a Quicksilver or MDD G4 tower or a PowerBook G4 867MHz or higher. OR a G4 iBook @ 867MHz or higher.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.