PDA

View Full Version : Largest Movie Collection

chme6583
Feb 6, 2008, 10:55 AM
m

DJAKO
Feb 6, 2008, 11:03 AM
So who has the largest movie collection? I have 1321 movies converted to watch on the Apple TV. How much does everyone else have?

How many terabytes is that?

chme6583
Feb 6, 2008, 11:05 AM
How many terabytes is that?

It's 1.9 terabytes. I used to convert at a lot higher quality, then realized I couldn't tell the difference.

AliensAreFuzzy
Feb 6, 2008, 11:09 AM
Wow, that's impressive. I don't have a lot of movies converted yet (only about 200) but I've been doing mostly TV shows. So I've got about 1700 episodes of TV ripped.

Scarpad
Feb 6, 2008, 11:09 AM
It's 1.9 terabytes. I used to convert at a lot higher quality, then realized I couldn't tell the difference.

I was going to do this but then I figured whats the point? How often do I rewatch a movies? Once a year, then at that point I'd rather watch it upconverted thru the PS3 than in reduced quality. I Do this for TV shows where I'm more likely to re watch an episode often

chme6583
Feb 6, 2008, 11:12 AM
Wow, that's impressive. I don't have a lot of movies converted yet (only about 200) but I've been doing mostly TV shows. So I've got about 1700 episodes of TV ripped.

I have 1422 episodes converted as well. I am honestly burnt out. I wish I knew someone close that I could trade with. It has been a long process, which started around last April.

GroundLoop
So who has the largest movie collection? I have 1321 movies converted to watch on the Apple TV. How much does everyone else have?

It's a shame that when Take 2 comes out, you are going to want to re-encode all of those movies to include the 5.1 audio.

Your machine is going to get a workout.

Hickman

petvas
I have 650 movies and 150 TV episodes

AliensAreFuzzy
Feb 6, 2008, 11:17 AM
I have 1422 episodes converted as well. I am honestly burnt out. I wish I knew someone close that I could trade with. It has been a long process, which started around last April.

I know what you mean. Tagging is a killer. This summer my drive with 1000 episodes failed! I had to start all over in July. Luckily I now have an offsite backup because my friend and I have copies of each other's videos. (I do TV, he does movies)

lofight
Feb 6, 2008, 11:20 AM
Do you convert them each time before you're going to watch them, or lots of films at the same moment? With so many films you'll never get bored... :p

chme6583
Feb 6, 2008, 11:21 AM
I was going to do this but then I figured whats the point? How often do I rewatch a movies? Once a year, then at that point I'd rather watch it upconverted thru the PS3 than in reduced quality. I Do this for TV shows where I'm more likely to re watch an episode often

It honestly depends on the movie. I've seen Wedding Crashers, Kingpin and any really good comedy 10 times each. The other ones, not so much. It's great to have guests and have such a large collection. Plus my kids, re-watch the same shows 100 times or more.

MikieMikie
Feb 6, 2008, 11:52 AM

:eek:

Honestly, I can't think of 1321 movies I'd want to own. I have about 130, and my buying is at a standstill. Popular, current movies are good rental fodder. And even if I were inclined to rip and encode it, I would still have a hell of a time getting to 500.

I own 300 Warner Bros. cartoons and a few TV series, too.

Scarpad
Feb 6, 2008, 12:18 PM
:eek:

Honestly, I can't think of 1321 movies I'd want to own. I have about 130, and my buying is at a standstill. Popular, current movies are good rental fodder. And even if I were inclined to rip and encode it, I would still have a hell of a time getting to 500.

I own 300 Warner Bros. cartoons and a few TV series, too.

I have to get to my Looney Tunes Disks , those make sense to rip and encode ro have any Cartoon at the touch of you fingers it's such a pain to find them on the disks. I also do TV shows as I ofter will go back and rewatch especially older non serialized shows.

mrfrosty
Feb 6, 2008, 12:38 PM
I have around 200 films and about 600 TV shows. I run it from an old laptop running solaris 10 & ZFS with lots of usb disks (well 4 750Gb's) in a raidz set. My little mini then has an nfs connection to that. I also run mediatomb on my mini so that the ps3 downstairs can stream the stuff.......but i still prefer my ATV.

northy124
Feb 6, 2008, 12:44 PM
I have 32 movies at 2.65GB (All SD On my MacBook if you want Mac Pro you have to wait until later) and 20 TV Seasons (All HD 720p) at 1.2GB per show not sure how much in total though.

BTW the way theres already a thread like this called how organized are your Movies/TV Shows

Northy124

TrueShotAura
Feb 6, 2008, 02:11 PM
I have about 20 UFC Fights which is basically all I care about.. :D and about 50 HD movies and 100 or so DVDs and 60GB of TV Shows.. not much.. I have a 1TB and i'm down to 65GB

aksmax
Feb 6, 2008, 03:02 PM
So, how's everyone doing this? Obviously you've got Gb's to Tb's of ripped material / iTunes purchases on a hard drive somewhere. Desktop setup or a networked drive and a laptop? How are you viewing with your ATV? Are you transferring favorites back and forth to the ATV drive or streaming?

Looking for some recommendations and lessons learned. I'd like to pull something together for my extensive DVD collection. I'm sick of flipping through binders of discs. I used to wait for the day I could connect it to my Delicious Library. (great product)

Thanks

DJAKO
Feb 6, 2008, 03:05 PM
So, how's everyone doing this? Obviously you've got Gb's to Tb's of ripped material / iTunes purchases on a hard drive somewhere. Desktop setup or a networked drive and a laptop? How are you viewing with your ATV? Are you transferring favorites back and forth to the ATV drive or streaming?

Looking for some recommendations and lessons learned. I'd like to pull something together for my extensive DVD collection. I'm sick of flipping through binders of discs. I used to wait for the day I could connect it to my Delicious Library. (great product)

Thanks
I rip each of my DVD's with Mac The Ripper then use the AppleTV preset in Handbrake to convert them to a playable file on the ATV. I then move them to a 320GB HD which is connected via USB to my MBP. Add the tags and comments using MetaX. From there everything is doing from streaming and it's great.

oursfan
Feb 6, 2008, 03:06 PM
It's a shame that when Take 2 comes out, you are going to want to re-encode all of those movies to include the 5.1 audio.

Your machine is going to get a workout.

Hickman

When take two comes out are we in fact going to have the ability to encode DVDs ripped through handbrake in true 5.1? I assume that there will have to be an upgrade to Handbrake as well if this happens, correct?

Blazer5913
Feb 6, 2008, 03:42 PM
When take two comes out are we in fact going to have the ability to encode DVDs ripped through handbrake in true 5.1? I assume that there will have to be an upgrade to Handbrake as well if this happens, correct?

Can anyone answer this? VisualhUb update too?

hauss316H
Feb 6, 2008, 03:49 PM
good god

NightStorm
Feb 6, 2008, 03:54 PM
How is anyone to know this, since the device itself hasn't even been updated yet? My guess, Apple will simply use the MOV container which will allow them to pacakge H.264 video and AC3 audio with their HD rentals. Neither HB or VH can encode into this container, and from what I've heard it isn't an easy/quick thing to add.

MikieMikie
Feb 6, 2008, 04:12 PM
I have to get to my Looney Tunes Disks , those make sense to rip and encode ro have any Cartoon at the touch of you fingers it's such a pain to find them on the disks. I also do TV shows as I ofter will go back and rewatch especially older non serialized shows.

If you tag via MetaX, I just made them into TV Shows, and typed in the titles, etc. It was an "easy" way to go. Each of the DVDs took me multiple hours -- finding the right chapters, titling the files, etc.

If you need some art, let me know as I had to create come for a few of the collections.

GroundLoop
Feb 6, 2008, 04:18 PM

Considering that some of the HD movie rentals have 5.1 pass-through, the answer seems to be "yes". I am sure that the Handbrake developers will work on the update immediately after they get their hands on Take 2.

I am hoping that the update will be ready within 2 weeks, but it depends on the hoops that need to be jumped through to get the movies and audio to reliably stream to the AppleTV.

I am still waiting for my MP. But, as soon as I get it, I will be ripping all of my DVDs to the hard drive in prep for the new handbrake update.

Hickman

mjones420
Feb 12, 2008, 03:01 PM
i have over 1000 movies that all have been bought at the blockbuster and hollywood video where I live. I hold a world record for the biggest dvd collection that hasnt been copied or downloaded

tazman3
Jul 25, 2009, 09:36 AM
I have been a long time collector of movies since the 1980's. Some are DVDs, VHS previously viewed from stores, and some are dubbed from cable totaling 4743 movies. If you add some TV Show and Anime, I have total of 5500 in my archives. My movies range from classics with actors such as Bob Hope, Lucille Ball, and many others to much current movies as well. Also I have some mature movies as well. This collection still grows and I update it each year. My wife says I am a very big movie geek and phanatic, which I guess I have to agree,

Tallest Skil
Jul 25, 2009, 09:39 AM

VisualHub stopped being supported years ago. There will be no more updates.

rick6502
Jul 25, 2009, 10:07 AM
I am more into TV shows than movies. I have 3100 TV episodes on my server right now. I only have about 100 movies. I don't save either of them. Once they are watched they get deleted to make room for more. The only exception is the shows that I have ripped for my kids to watch. They watch that stuff over and over.

I have never had success with Mac The Ripper. I mostly use FairMount (which works best on a 10.4, not so well on 10.5) to copy the disks, use the newest HandBrake (61%) to RIP them, and then MetaX to tag them. I usually get the episode titles by copy/pasting from my NetFlix account.

jakerules133
Jul 25, 2009, 11:47 AM
i have over 1000 movies that all have been bought at the blockbuster and hollywood video where I live. I hold a world record for the biggest dvd collection that hasnt been copied or downloaded

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1147287

Chris Rogers
Jul 25, 2009, 12:09 PM
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1147287

WOW, that's pretty Awesome :)

randy98mtu
Jul 25, 2009, 12:20 PM
I just started doing TV shows about 2 weeks ago. I have 184 so far. I've got around 150 movies done. I wouldn't say I watch any of them a ton, but I watch them more than when they were in cases stuffed in boxes from our move. Neither me nor my wife wants a big rack of DVD's anywhere in the house, so I just leave them in boxes and encoding them makes them available to watch any time we want.

Bye Bye Baby
Jul 25, 2009, 01:05 PM

Dude seriously- go outside and get some sun, breathe some fresh air- talk to a three dimensional human being. At least before you watch them all.

MKHiltz
Dec 26, 2013, 08:20 PM
Impressive I currently have 105 movies in my collection with many, many more that may be added

westrock2000
Dec 27, 2013, 01:09 AM
I wrote a Perl script that reads the Metadata for each movie and then categorizes by genre and alphabetizes within each genre (as well as adding "HD" if the bit rate is above a certain threshold). It generates the output into an HTML file. The script then uploads the HTML file to a web server of mine.

That way I can access it from anywhere, particularly my phone, and I know if I have something and if it's a blueray rip or not.

Currently at about 850 movies, so you start to loose track of what you have. Some times I go through ATV looking at the movies, and still get surprised that I have some particular movie.

aced411
Dec 27, 2013, 06:25 AM
1536 episodes and 240 movies in just over 3TB. I backup to a 4TB with time machine. Every title is legitimately owned. I can't imagine pirating, it would be a storage nightmare LOL. I spent far too much of my life ripping and hand braking, so at one point I had enough. Now I simply buy direct from iTunes...even if the blu ray is cheaper (unless it's drastically cheaper or comes with the iTunes download).

alent1234
Dec 27, 2013, 10:01 AM
13 years ago i peaked at 250 DVD's. unless you have no life and there is no way you can watch a thousand or 500 movie collection.

got rid of most of my DVD's. buy one or two blu rays per month now.

GGJstudios
Dec 27, 2013, 10:11 AM
I can't imagine pirating, it would be a storage nightmare LOL.
Why would it be a storage nightmare? Do pirated movies take up more space than ripped movies?
unless you have no life and there is no way you can watch a thousand or 500 movie collection.
That's not true. Some people like golf. Some like going out to nightclubs. Some like sports. Some like playing computer or video games. Some like basket weaving or bingo or bowling. And some like watching movies as a pastime. It doesn't mean you have no life. It simply means you enjoy watching movies.
I wrote a Perl script that reads the Metadata for each movie and then categorizes by genre and alphabetizes within each genre (as well as adding "HD" if the bit rate is above a certain threshold). It generates the output into an HTML file. The script then uploads the HTML file to a web server of mine.

That way I can access it from anywhere, particularly my phone, and I know if I have something and if it's a blueray rip or not.
You know you can do pretty much the same thing with Plex (http://www.plexapp.com).

alent1234
Dec 27, 2013, 10:13 AM
Why would it be a storage nightmare? Do pirated movies take up more space than ripped movies?

That's not true. Some people like golf. Some like going out to nightclubs. Some like sports. Some like playing computer or video games. Some like basket weaving or bingo or bowling. And some like watching movies as a pastime. It doesn't mean you have no life. It simply means you enjoy watching movies.

most of those hobbies are a few hours on the weekend. that's 50-60 movies per year

i've been there, where i used to stay in all the time and watch a movie or two every day for most of the week. to watch a 500 movie collection is more than one per day every day.

it's like people bragging about how they take 30GB or more of music everywhere they go. that's literally months of non-stop listening which is impossible to do

GGJstudios
Dec 27, 2013, 10:24 AM
most of those hobbies are a few hours on the weekend. that's 50-60 movies per year

i've been there, where i used to stay in all the time and watch a movie or two every day for most of the week. to watch a 500 movie collection is more than one per day every day.

it's like people bragging about how they take 30GB or more of music everywhere they go. that's literally months of non-stop listening which is impossible to do
My movie collection is over 400 movies and my music collection is over 30,000 songs. No, I don't watch or listen to every one, every day, but they are all used at one time or another. Instead of watching 2 hours of the drivel on TV, I prefer watching a movie. Yes, it's easy to watch a movie every day, if someone chooses to. While it may not be your choice, that doesn't mean it doesn't work for other people.

alent1234
Dec 27, 2013, 10:36 AM
my point was that if you watch a movie every day then it leaves no time for romantic relationships, family, socializing with friends like the other hobbies you mentioned. all you do is sit home and watch TV

jrm27
Dec 27, 2013, 12:41 PM
how od you guys navigate such large collections? Through home sharing I can only see one video at a time? To go through all my videos, I have to pan through 500+ titles? There must be an easier way....

priitv8
Dec 27, 2013, 01:01 PM
There must be an easier way....Genres. (Smart)playlists. Remote app on iPhone (has search function).

GGJstudios
Dec 27, 2013, 01:12 PM
how od you guys navigate such large collections? Through home sharing I can only see one video at a time? To go through all my videos, I have to pan through 500+ titles? There must be an easier way....
Plex (http://www.plexapp.com)
my point was that if you watch a movie every day then it leaves no time for romantic relationships, family, socializing with friends like the other hobbies you mentioned. all you do is sit home and watch TV
That depends on whether you're watching alone or with family, friends, loved ones, etc. Watching a movie a day also leaves 22 hours a day for other things.

jrm27
Dec 27, 2013, 01:24 PM
I've been looking at integrating Plex, but it's giving me some issues. I used it way back in the day when i was using Plex on a little netbook I had, so my naming conventions for all my movies/tv shows are plex friendly. last night I downloaded the plex media server, and set it to scan my library . When I woke up this morning I found that it was missing a TON of my stuff. Lots of movies, lots of tv shows, even full seasons of tv shows. So... I'm not sure what is going on. Also, Plex slows down my computer something fierce. Just having the server running in the background makes my computer nearly unusable. As soon as I turn the server off, everything is back to normal.

So, maybe plex isn't for me. That's too bad really. I've always loved it's flexibility and it's awesome interface.... I'd like to make it work, but I don't even know where to start with it now.

GGJstudios
Dec 27, 2013, 01:29 PM
I've been looking at integrating Plex, but it's giving me some issues. I used it way back in the day when i was using Plex on a little netbook I had, so my naming conventions for all my movies/tv shows are plex friendly. last night I downloaded the plex media server, and set it to scan my library . When I woke up this morning I found that it was missing a TON of my stuff. Lots of movies, lots of tv shows, even full seasons of tv shows. So... I'm not sure what is going on. Also, Plex slows down my computer something fierce. Just having the server running in the background makes my computer nearly unusable. As soon as I turn the server off, everything is back to normal.

So, maybe plex isn't for me. That's too bad really. I've always loved it's flexibility and it's awesome interface.... I'd like to make it work, but I don't even know where to start with it now.
It sounds like there's another issue at work. I run both the Plex Media Server and the Plex Home Theater apps 24/7 on a 2010 Mac Mini with 4GB of RAM that is also used for many other things, such as running multiple login accounts, ripping DVDs with Handbrake, Teamviewer sessions, MS Office apps, iTunes, editing audio files with Audacity, etc. and I've never had a problem with performance.

jrm27
Dec 27, 2013, 01:35 PM
It sounds like there's another issue at work. I run both the Plex Media Server and the Plex Home Theater apps 24/7 on a 2010 Mac Mini with 4GB of RAM that is also used for many other things, such as running multiple login accounts, ripping DVDs with Handbrake, Teamviewer sessions, MS Office apps, iTunes, editing audio files with Audacity, etc. and I've never had a problem with performance.

Hmmm. I wonder what it could be. I'm running it on a brand new mini... as in 2 days old. So.. I'm not sure what could be going on. There's really not much on the mini besides itunes (which is linked to external hard drives) and that's about it.

GGJstudios
Dec 27, 2013, 01:39 PM
Hmmm. I wonder what it could be. I'm running it on a brand new mini... as in 2 days old. So.. I'm not sure what could be going on. There's really not much on the mini besides itunes (which is linked to external hard drives) and that's about it.
You might try re-running a deep scan of your library. Also check Activity Monitor "All Processes" to see what other processes may be consuming system resources.

jrm27
Dec 27, 2013, 01:59 PM
Cool, I'll give that a shot. How do I perform a deep scan?

GGJstudios
Dec 27, 2013, 02:10 PM
Cool, I'll give that a shot. How do I perform a deep scan?
Like this:

jrm27
Dec 27, 2013, 04:40 PM
Thanks GGJStudios. I'm familiar with a much older version of plex, so i didn't know where to find that sucker!

jrm27
Dec 27, 2013, 07:46 PM
Well, the deep scan didn't work... that's a bummer! Not sure what to try next...

GGJstudios
Dec 27, 2013, 07:49 PM
Well, the deep scan didn't work... that's a bummer! Not sure what to try next...

Not sure if it will help, but you might try re-indexing your drive: Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2409) If that fails to index, enter the following command in Terminal: sudo mdutil -i on "/Volumes/your drive name"

jrm27
Dec 27, 2013, 11:56 PM
I'll try that too. Thanks man. My other issue seems to be that I can't access my router to setup a static IP address... which it looks like I need to do in order to get the Plex server onto the ATV3. dang.. I guess it might just not be in the cards today!

priitv8
Dec 28, 2013, 04:53 AM
...to get the Plex server onto the ATV3.You can't put Plex Server onto aTV3! Only PlexConnect client.

Anonymous Freak
Dec 28, 2013, 05:11 AM
Back to the original: I have 130 "movies" in my iTunes library. That EXcludes home movies, short features (for example, I have all the Pixar shorts,) and iTunes Extras listings. It only includes the actual feature-length motion pictures.

25 of them are iTunes purchases. 5 of THOSE have iTunes Extras. Although of those 25, 10 were purchased as a bundle (the Star Trek movie series,) for a steep discount, 5 were free with DVD/Blu-ray purchase, and a couple of the remaining were either free or extremely cheap. In fact, counting up, only 8 were purchased as individual movie purchases...

The remaining 105 movies are all rips from my own DVD/Blu-ray discs. I have not yet ripped all of my movies, though. I'm slowly working my way through them. My "ripping computer" is a very loud workstation that I don't leave on for long periods.

My library is "big", but not too big to manage quite yet. It would be nice if the AppleTV had a better way of going through an iTunes shared library, though...

albertfallickwa
Mar 12, 2014, 05:34 PM
I own 63 movies from iTunes and 2 seasons of TV shows-- The Americans season 1 and Homeland season 1. Adding more all the time.

Not all that big I guess.

Lord Hamsa
Mar 13, 2014, 07:26 AM

I use an NAS (Synology, 4x2TB) that gives me not only bulk storage, but RAID protection so a single hard drive faille won't result in data loss. My iTunes library lives on the NAS, and I have a Mac Mini that has a couple of jobs, one of which is to always have iTunes up running Home Sharing, so that the ATVs can stream at any time.

The low-power wake-on-LAN feature added in Lion really makes this reasonable, because the Mini can be in a very low-power mode and only come on when it has work to do.

--

As to the thread topic, I have about 250 movies and probably 600 or so TV show episodes. Plenty more to rip, but I've generally been adding as I need them, with the occasional "well I've got the discs out anyway, might as well do a large batch at once" in there. Some of the rips, especially the kids' stuff, are pretty old and low-quality, as they were optimized for size given the devices they were originally ripped for, so I may re-do some of them that have lasting power (like the Disney animated stuff).

mcarling
Mar 15, 2014, 04:11 PM
I own 375 iTunes movies (almost all HD) in my US iTunes account plus a few dozen in my French iTunes account. I have no idea how many TBs that is, but it must be somewhere near 2TB (assuming an average of about 5GB per movie).

My father has over 5000 DVDs all in the original packaging, none of which were copied, downloaded, or otherwise stolen. He used to have more than 5000 VHS tapes in the original packaging, none of which were copied, downloaded, or otherwise stolen, but I think most of those are gone now. A small part of his collection is every movie which has ever won an Academy Award, from the beginning to the present, including relatively minor Academy Awards like best soundtrack. That's not even close to a world record. Martin Scorcese has over 30,000, which may be a world record.

GGJstudios
Mar 15, 2014, 04:50 PM
That's not even close to a world record. Martin Scorcese has over 30,000, which may be a world record.
You may want to check the dates of the post you quoted. That poster hasn't been seen in the forum since posting that (their first and only post) over 6 years ago. I agree, though, 1000 movies isn't anywhere near any kind of record.

IscariotJ
Mar 17, 2014, 03:38 PM

I've a Mac Mini Server attached to a Drobo 5D, populated with 3TB drives. It's running iTunes to feed a couple of ATV's, and StreamToMe for streaming to iPad's ( it's quicker than connecting via Home Sharing, and will play iTunes content ).

I've about ~650 movies, and ~90 tv series ( ~5000 episode ) mostly all ripped from my DVDs / BDs, about 5.6TB including my lossless music.... Hoping the ATV UI is updated to handle larger libraries, as it's a right PITA scrolling up and down....

linds15
Mar 17, 2014, 04:44 PM
Hoping the ATV UI is updated to handle larger libraries, as it's a right PITA scrolling up and down....

this. scrolling through TV shows is a huge pain. ive just deleted (from itunes) shows that i dont watch regularly, or am not in the process of going through.

sulliweb
Mar 18, 2014, 01:35 PM
Only 76 movies, but I have 4060 TV Episodes. A total of about 108 days worth of run time, and yeah, I don't really need that much. I also don't pay for cable.

I buy a few shows a year from iTunes or on DVD. It gives me more options, and I pay a lot less. Well, I finished upgrading my NAS to 4TB drives last year, so I ended up paying the same or maybe $50 more than I would have if I'd had cable.