PDA

View Full Version : Spotlight on OSX 10.5 Issue

dyerucf
Feb 6, 2008, 06:22 PM
Question, when I search using spotlight It does not show any applications. I am the administrator on the computer. I have all the box's checked in spotlight preferences.

Any help would be great. Thanx

reh
Feb 6, 2008, 07:13 PM
Have a look at the privacy tab in the spotlight preferences and make sure /Applications isn't listed there.

dyerucf
Feb 6, 2008, 09:59 PM
Is not checked

skp574
Feb 7, 2008, 01:44 AM
Question, when I search using spotlight It does not show any applications. I am the administrator on the computer. I have all the box's checked in spotlight preferences.

Any help would be great. Thanx

I experience the same thing. No apps appear in Spotlight results even though Apps are enabled and at the top of the search order.

xUKHCx
Feb 7, 2008, 01:50 AM
Have you tried rebuilding the spotlight index. To do this drag your hd to the privacy section of spotlight wait a little bit then remove it. You should see spotlight reindexing the hd.

reh
Feb 7, 2008, 06:45 AM
Is not checked

There aren't any checkmarks in the privacy tab, so if anything is listed, then it's not being searched.

solvs
Feb 7, 2008, 02:52 PM
Have you tried rebuilding the spotlight index. To do this drag your hd to the privacy section of spotlight wait a little bit then remove it. You should see spotlight reindexing the hd.

I use Onyx, cleans out the caches, repairs permissions, and rebuilds the Spotlight index if you configure it to.

dyerucf
Feb 7, 2008, 07:56 PM
I have rebuilt the index, two times. Still no luck. Any other ideas?

x19
Feb 8, 2008, 03:41 PM
Try deleting the Spotlight prefs file.

Your Username/Library/Preferences/

com.apple.spotlight.plist

You'd be amazed at what deleting a preference file can fix

dyerucf
Feb 9, 2008, 11:41 AM
I cant seem to find the directory you are speaking of. Also the file isnt in /Library/Preferences/

any help would be appreciated

Thank you

dyerucf
Feb 10, 2008, 06:54 PM
Try deleting the Spotlight prefs file.

Your Username/Library/Preferences/

com.apple.spotlight.plist

You'd be amazed at what deleting a preference file can fix

Found the file you mentioned, deleted it and no dice. Still no applications in the spotlite search.