PDA

View Full Version : Name Server in setup question

tzmyslo25
Feb 7, 2008, 01:58 PM
When first setting up Leopard Server it asks for a name server. What the hell do I put here? Do I make it up or is it something I need from my ISP? Any help would be greatly appreciated and sorry if this was already posted else where.

Tom

twoodcc
Feb 7, 2008, 04:49 PM
it's the name of the server. this is important if you have a domain and all, b/c it will be the hostname.

so if you had example.com as your domain name, the hostname would be servername.example.com

rezenclowd3
Feb 7, 2008, 05:05 PM
I am also setting up a server (Xserve, 10.5). If you want the server accessible outside the network, you need to call you ISP about what info to put in that field, otherwise you assign it a name from another server. With mine, I give it a name from my 10.4 server under the DNS service in Server Admin.

Please anyone correct me if I am wrong. I am still learning A LOT about networks.

0racle
Feb 8, 2008, 08:08 AM
it's the name of the server. this is important if you have a domain and all, b/c it will be the hostname.

so if you had example.com as your domain name, the hostname would be servername.example.com

It's been a year since I set up our OS X Server, however I believe the question for hostname is exactly that, 'what is your hostname.' I believe when asking for DNS servers, it's worded nameservers, since well, that's what DNS servers are.

In short, I think the OP needs to enter his DNS server (internal). If you don't have one, OS X Server can provide that service.

yellow
Feb 8, 2008, 08:18 AM
"server name" is hostname, as twodocc noted "servername.domainname.com", or whatever. The server name is your choice.

Since it's a server, it's integral that it have a static IP, otherwise you're kind of defeating the purpose of having a server.
Don't forget to make sure that the hostname looks uop both forwards and backwards when you're done.