Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tzmyslo25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
When first setting up Leopard Server it asks for a name server. What the hell do I put here? Do I make it up or is it something I need from my ISP? Any help would be greatly appreciated and sorry if this was already posted else where.

Tom

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
it's the name of the server. this is important if you have a domain and all, b/c it will be the hostname.

so if you had example.com as your domain name, the hostname would be servername.example.com

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
I am also setting up a server (Xserve, 10.5). If you want the server accessible outside the network, you need to call you ISP about what info to put in that field, otherwise you assign it a name from another server. With mine, I give it a name from my 10.4 server under the DNS service in Server Admin.

Please anyone correct me if I am wrong. I am still learning A LOT about networks.

0racle

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
North Carolina
it's the name of the server. this is important if you have a domain and all, b/c it will be the hostname.

so if you had example.com as your domain name, the hostname would be servername.example.com

It's been a year since I set up our OS X Server, however I believe the question for hostname is exactly that, 'what is your hostname.' I believe when asking for DNS servers, it's worded nameservers, since well, that's what DNS servers are.

In short, I think the OP needs to enter his DNS server (internal). If you don't have one, OS X Server can provide that service.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
"server name" is hostname, as twodocc noted "servername.domainname.com", or whatever. The server name is your choice.

Since it's a server, it's integral that it have a static IP, otherwise you're kind of defeating the purpose of having a server.
Don't forget to make sure that the hostname looks uop both forwards and backwards when you're done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.