PDA

View Full Version : Who ordered a Waterfield Sleeve?

steffi
Feb 7, 2008, 03:07 PM
Anybody ordered the Waterfield sleeve?

Pros/Cons?

It's really the only sleeve available from a reputable company right now so I'll probably just bite the bullet and try one. The only concern I have is how well the Air fits given it's asymetrical profile.

MazingerZ
Feb 7, 2008, 03:08 PM

Pros/Cons?

It's really the only sleeve available from a reputable company right now so I'll probably just bite the bullet and try one. The only concern I have is how well the Air fits given it's asymetrical profile.

I receive mine yesterday and it fits rather well. THe quality is top notch and it looks great!

roland.g
Feb 7, 2008, 03:16 PM
Still doesn't seem as slim and trim as I would like for that machine.

MazingerZ
Feb 7, 2008, 03:19 PM

I ordered the whole enchilada including the strap and the piggyback. Its definitely slim and light for a laptop bag. A perfect complement to the MBA for now.

roland.g
Feb 7, 2008, 03:22 PM
I ordered the whole enchilada including the strap and the piggyback. Its definitely slim and light for a laptop bag. A perfect complement to the MBA for now.

Link please.

MazingerZ
Feb 7, 2008, 03:23 PM
Link please.

http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleevecases/sleevecases.htm

The correct code for the MBA is 13-2.

LizKat
Feb 7, 2008, 03:25 PM

i posted somewhere else how much i love their stuff and what i ordered this time around... all i'm saying here is that LOL why did i do that since it has been in the sleeve a total of two minutes so far, maybe!! :)

but the piggyback is a great option, all the stuff fits in there

roland.g
Feb 7, 2008, 03:28 PM
I think I like these better.

http://www.pacific-parts.com/apple-macbook-air-13--notebook-sleeve.html

http://www.pacific-parts.com/apple-macbook-air-laptop-sleeve.html

diabolic
Feb 7, 2008, 03:37 PM
I've got the WaterField sleeve and medium cargo bag. I wanted to go for something with a little more style than the plain neoprene sleeves. I am more than satisfied with my choice and would definitely pick WaterField again.

Spizzo
Feb 7, 2008, 03:42 PM
I've had a waterfield sleeve for my PB since 04 and the thing is great. It gets used a lot, and other than a little dirt, it's in great condition. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat, and while they are a little thick, I think this is a good thing, esp. with an aluminum case!

TxMacAddict
Feb 7, 2008, 07:43 PM
I don't really like most of the cases marketed towards macbooks. Check out this one by Tumi.

http://www.tumi.com/business_laptop/laptop_cases/category_search/small_expandable_computer_brief/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=57347

mcvaughan
Feb 7, 2008, 11:04 PM
I don't really like most of the cases marketed towards macbooks. Check out this one by Tumi.

http://www.tumi.com/business_laptop/laptop_cases/category_search/small_expandable_computer_brief/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=57347

Yup. I have a Tumi as well. I have a messenger bag, which is slim, but still holds a lot, including my 17" MBP.

http://www.tumi.com/business_laptop/laptop_cases/category_search/laurel_slim_messenger/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=93888

loghyr
Feb 7, 2008, 11:13 PM
I ordered one.

I also got a Jacket (http://mac-case.com/Products/MacCase%20Jackets.html) from http://mac-case.com/

Hmm, looks like they have new cases just for the Air.

It is for 13" MBs, but should work just fine for the Air. I'll try it out after I'm done charging it again.

steffi
Feb 7, 2008, 11:18 PM
I use Tumi for regular luggage but not their computer bags. I have a Mandarina Duck WorkBag that serves me well and I've been eyeing a Bottega Briefcase for some time now. I probably won't get the Bottega as it only has one compartment. But Mandarina Duck make stylish bags. Check out their WorkBag. Note: That bag can easily fit a 15" machine too so if you're looking for something the size of a MacBook Air you'll want to go for something 13 inches wide.

Yup. I have a Tumi as well. I have a messenger bag, which is slim, but still holds a lot, including my 17" MBP.

http://www.tumi.com/business_laptop/laptop_cases/category_search/laurel_slim_messenger/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=93888

loghyr
Feb 7, 2008, 11:25 PM
I also got a Jacket (http://mac-case.com/Products/MacCase%20Jackets.html) from http://mac-case.com/

Not a snug fit - there is room for another MBA in there. :D

But when the flap is closed, it looks slim.

I'm trying to get something which will encourage me not to drag along too many accessories. I want my Air, the power adaptor, and my glasses. I don't want an external dvd, etc.

BTW: I got this case for 30% off at CompUSA - talk about an impulse buy...

JasonBourne9
Feb 8, 2008, 10:14 AM
Just received my waterfield sleeve this morning. I'm at work without the MBA so can't speak to how it fits yet but it seems like a nice product. Perhaps a bit bulkier than it needs to be but should offer good protection. I just wish they made it with a slightly larger and zippered side pouch. That would make for a kickass, superlight way to carry just the MBA and some select accessories. In my case the accessories list is the power adapter, a WD Passport USB drive, an EVDO modem, the ethernet dongle and the VGA display adapter.

Anyone know what the thinnest, smallest lightest sleeve/bag could be for just those items? I don't need handles, a shoulder strap or anything. Just something I can hold in my hand that makes the best use of the MBA's portability.

Waterfield's sleeve + piggyback could potentially fit the bill but it seems a little kludgey. I'd rather it be one integrated sleeve and small pouch.

JCT
Feb 8, 2008, 01:50 PM
Just received my waterfield sleeve this morning. I'm at work without the MBA so can't speak to how it fits yet but it seems like a nice product. Perhaps a bit bulkier than it needs to be but should offer good protection. I just wish they made it with a slightly larger and zippered side pouch. That would make for a kickass, superlight way to carry just the MBA and some select accessories. In my case the accessories list is the power adapter, a WD Passport USB drive, an EVDO modem, the ethernet dongle and the VGA display adapter.

Anyone know what the thinnest, smallest lightest sleeve/bag could be for just those items? I don't need handles, a shoulder strap or anything. Just something I can hold in my hand that makes the best use of the MBA's portability.

Waterfield's sleeve + piggyback could potentially fit the bill but it seems a little kludgey. I'd rather it be one integrated sleeve and small pouch.

I think Waterfield's new Hard Case is meant to be the type of case you are talking about. Not cheap, but classy and functional. But it has straps, handles, etc.

JT

JasonBourne9
Feb 8, 2008, 05:37 PM
I think Waterfield's new Hard Case is meant to be the type of case you are talking about. Not cheap, but classy and functional. But it has straps, handles, etc.

JT

I'm very much considering getting it. The straps/handles/overall-size-being-slightly-larger-than-I-want is one issue. The other is that I am a bit of a luggage/bag hound and I'm trying to get it under control. I live in NYC where I don't have a huge amount of space and my girlfriend and I probably have at least two dozen different Tumi suitcases, suit carriers, laptop bags, flight bags, etc... It's like an infestation. Our closets are full to the brim.

Having said that I almost ordered it yesterday, then again today. If I see one in the flesh and I like it I'm pretty sure I'll end up buying it. Sigh...:o

loghyr
Feb 11, 2008, 09:23 PM
I ordered one.

Hmm, looks like they have new cases just for the Air.

It is for 13" MBs, but should work just fine for the Air. I'll try it out after I'm done charging it again.

Much snugger fit for the Waterfield Sleeve than the Mac-Case.

But then again, the case has more storage.

I see the Sleeve as my security cable when I need to go to the bathroom. Just slip it in and leave. :cool:

kming05
Feb 12, 2008, 08:30 AM
been using mine since day one of my macbookair. its been great, no regrets. top notch stuff.

ExcelonGT
Feb 12, 2008, 09:20 PM
After many hours, with help from this thread, I've finally found the right MBA sleeve for me. I couldn't justify spending alot of money on a new MBA. I've grown attached to my North Face Recon (http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?site=NA&model=AE6G&dc=001,75Q,69H,74A,68T,88D,2W0,5J5)backpack (tons of storage for all my small gadgets, but still slim on my back.

So, I went with the peach-linen sleeve from Wrappers (http://wrappers.typepad.com/ipod/apple_macbook_air_sleeves/index.html).
Got it customized with my initials too :) I just hope it gets here quickly. I like to take my MBA out of the house...but cringe everytime I just throw it into the open pouch of the North Face backpack.

rich a
Feb 13, 2008, 08:23 PM
Ordered the Waterfield sleeve a week ago, but it hasn't arrived yet (I'm in NY, so I guess it's traveling cross country). In any rate, it looks pretty sweet. Can't wait till it gets here.

camarobh
Feb 13, 2008, 09:00 PM
Mine's on the way, ordered last week as well. Hopefully arriving soon as I am in San Diego....

instant hit
Feb 13, 2008, 09:19 PM
ordered one as part of the vertigo mambo package. supposedly will ship tonight via usps priority.

feel quite bad toting my mba around in a messenger bag from my college days :D

QCassidy352
Feb 13, 2008, 10:19 PM

I'm a MB user invading your forum! :o

Just posting to say that I have a waterfield case for my mb, and no, it's not as slim as some. But it is very well made, attractive, and protective, so I think it would be as good an option for the MBA as it is for my mb. :)

bajajoe
Feb 13, 2008, 10:30 PM
http://www.brenthaven.com/catalog-sleeves.html the elite 1

off in the wood
Feb 13, 2008, 10:52 PM
has anyone used invisibleSHEILD for mba or any other piece of tech?

it seems like a good product, but still iffy about purchasing one

pros/cons with it?

http://www.invisibleshield.com/laptop/Apple/MacBook-Air.php

hotsauce
Feb 14, 2008, 12:39 AM
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

has anyone used invisibleSHEILD for mba or any other piece of tech?

it seems like a good product, but still iffy about purchasing one

pros/cons with it?

http://www.invisibleshield.com/laptop/Apple/MacBook-Air.php

I ordered mine last Friday. I'll tell you all about it when I get it.

instant hit
Feb 15, 2008, 02:57 PM
mine came in (vertigo + sleevecase) today. the craftsmanship is definitely the price of admission. the vertigo is the perfect size for someone constantly on the move -- plus the included shoulder padding is a real treat.

as for the sleevecase, it is a little on the thick side as someone else pointed out, but it just screams quality. cushioning is by way of a gel layer, softening blows or accidental drops (no, i have dared not attempt a drop of 4ft. onto concrete :p).

overall, a fantastic product. and the personal touch on the sales receipt is icing on the cake :D

digitalfx
Feb 15, 2008, 08:06 PM
I received a vertical sleeve w/ flap today and am very impressed. Shipped immediately, and customer service is second to none. In the middle of the order I sent an email requesting a change to overnight, and it was promptly updated. The quality of the case is outstanding, and although thicker than a typical sleeve, it is worth the extra weight and protection.

Its like dealing with a family business, every email was personally and promptly responded to.

Brisman
Feb 16, 2008, 01:14 AM
Ordered mine it arrived in Australia in about 4 days - great service! Product looks good, all I need now is Apple to deliver the MBA to put in it.

sting0r
Feb 16, 2008, 08:18 AM
Ordered the Waterfield sleeve a week ago, but it hasn't arrived yet (I'm in NY, so I guess it's traveling cross country). In any rate, it looks pretty sweet. Can't wait till it gets here.

If you still didn't get your sleeve yet, they have them at Tekserve. That's where I picked mine up. Fits great, nice and snug.

meagain
Feb 16, 2008, 08:45 AM
Instant hit - What size Vertigo did you order and about how much space is left after the MBA in sleevecase is left? Would love to see pics of that.

Right after Macworld, though IDK what day it was.... could it have even been the same day? I saw the sleevecase for the MBA on the waterfield site. It made me question if the MBA sleevecase was designed specifically for the MBA, or another current size just happened to fit OK-ish.

Does the MBA sleevecase taper at one side like the air or is there extra space where the latch area is?

instant hit
Feb 16, 2008, 01:05 PM
Instant hit - What size Vertigo did you order and about how much space is left after the MBA in sleevecase is left? Would love to see pics of that.

Right after Macworld, though IDK what day it was.... could it have even been the same day? I saw the sleevecase for the MBA on the waterfield site. It made me question if the MBA sleevecase was designed specifically for the MBA, or another current size just happened to fit OK-ish.

Does the MBA sleevecase taper at one side like the air or is there extra space where the latch area is?

i ordered size M for the vertigo -- as specified somewhere on the sfbags site for 13-2 sleevecases. not surprisingly, there's ample space left with the sleevecase inside -- i just throw the magsafe adapter inside the bag.

as for the sleevecase, it is not tailored specifically for the mba -- therefore no tapering -- as there is play on the thinnest side. despite that, it is a non-issue to me.

don't have access to a camera at the moment, but i'll try to post some pics later today.

instant hit
Feb 16, 2008, 08:59 PM
forgive the quality of the pics, as i could only use my camera phone.

TheMadBrewer
Feb 16, 2008, 11:02 PM
Got mine today. Ordered a vertical, with flap and strap and piggyback.

The MBA fits fairly tightly on the sides -- I have to hold the little loop at the bottom to pull the MBA out. It does look like there is a little room above and below.

The other good news is my Bose QC2 case fits in the piggyback, which will make air travel a little easier for me (I won't need the ethernet dongle or the superdrive on the plane)

meagain
Feb 16, 2008, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the pics Instant! Plenty of room inside the main bag with the air.

meagain
Feb 16, 2008, 11:09 PM
Instant - Is the Air in the sleeve in the bag vertically or horizontally? Is your sleeve vertical or horiz oriented to the opening?

steve31
Feb 17, 2008, 03:24 AM
just ordered a waterfield sleeve. :D

rich a
Feb 17, 2008, 10:35 AM
If you still didn't get your sleeve yet, they have them at Tekserve. That's where I picked mine up. Fits great, nice and snug.

Thanks for the tip, but I just picked up my sleeve from the post office. Apparently, there was a delivery attempt early last week, but they never left a notice.

Fits perfectly and seems like it will last a long time. Very well made and looks great.

CalMin
Feb 17, 2008, 11:14 AM
forgive the quality of the pics, as i could only use my camera phone.

Thanks for the pics. I have one of these Waterfield sleeves for my PowerBook. The thing is bombproof and looks as good now as when I bought it.

I plan on getting this for the MBA asap. :)

instant hit
Feb 17, 2008, 11:14 AM
Instant - Is the Air in the sleeve in the bag vertically or horizontally? Is your sleeve vertical or horiz oriented to the opening?

the answer to both questions is vertical. they also have a horizontal sleevecase, which should reduce play if you put the mba into the sleevecase thickest side first. however, sfbags recommended their vertical sleevecase as a complement to the vertigo (hence the name). perhaps someone else can chime in regarding the fitment of the horizontal sleevecase -- but you can't go wrong with either ;)

loghyr
Feb 17, 2008, 08:26 PM
perhaps someone else can chime in regarding the fitment of the horizontal sleevecase -- but you can't go wrong with either ;)

I got the horizontal and it is a good fit.

I wish I had gotten the piggyback - there is no room for the power brick or my glasses.

I hauled the MacCase through the airport and it was nice and light. I wish it had a bit more room, i.e., my glasses case is a Nike hard case.

I've got the sleeve along for totting the MBA around locally.

ks-man
Feb 17, 2008, 09:17 PM
If I put the MBA in one of these sleeves could I then comfortably (for my mind) put the MBA + sleeve in a regular backpack? I don't throw the bag around or anything but I want to make sure that there isn't a better alternative.

rich a
Feb 18, 2008, 10:10 AM
If I put the MBA in one of these sleeves could I then comfortably (for my mind) put the MBA + sleeve in a regular backpack? I don't throw the bag around or anything but I want to make sure that there isn't a better alternative.

I don't see why not. The sleeve has a good amount of padding and really secures the MBA in my bag.

naftalim
Jun 12, 2008, 07:35 AM
Got mine yesterday. Shipping to Canada was much faster than I expected. I ordered the Vertigo Combo Medium Vertical
Support was excellent.

Superb quality and craftsmanship
I like having the flexibility to just use the sleeve if I only take the MBA with me, or if I want to take the Magsafe adaptor, extension cord and Ethernet, all can fit into the Vertigo. Straps are excellent.
The MBA is a snug fit in the Sleeve, and the extra padding is great so it allows you to carry the sleeve on its own.
Plus it looks great too.

Highly recommended.

eggersj
Jun 12, 2008, 02:45 PM

Pros/Cons?

I ordered a Waterfield sleeve back in February when I first got my air, and I couldn't be happier. It fits like a glove, and the quality is first class. You simply cannot beat it for the price.

meagain
Jun 12, 2008, 03:32 PM
The problem I have with the Waterfield is

1. It was launched the day (if I recall correct) the Air was launched. Size 13-2
2. It is designed for other laptops. The size used for the Air is a 13-2 which I'll bet was in use prior to Launch. The IBM/Lenovo x300 is a 13-2 also.

Thinkpad x300 12.5 x 9.1 x .9
Air 12.8 x 8.9 x .16-.76

Basically Waterfield didn't make the 13-2 for the Air. And it does appear in every photo that there is some space in there. I'm not saying moving back/forth level, but at least thickness. I see buckling/slack in the case.
There was a jkontherun review of a sleevecase for a 17" pro and a tiny toshiba or fujitsu and it fit like a glove. Smooth. Likely the macbooks fit properly as well. But this looks to have some give and the specs above seem to verify that. That's my only concern. I wish he made it specifically for the Air to fit custom.

naftalim
Jun 13, 2008, 08:31 AM
I use the 13-2 sleeve for the MBA and its a perfect snug fit. No movement whatsoever.

The problem I have with the Waterfield is

1. It was launched the day (if I recall correct) the Air was launched. Size 13-2
2. It is designed for other laptops. The size used for the Air is a 13-2 which I'll bet was in use prior to Launch. The IBM/Lenovo x300 is a 13-2 also.

Thinkpad x300 12.5 x 9.1 x .9
Air 12.8 x 8.9 x .16-.76

Basically Waterfield didn't make the 13-2 for the Air. And it does appear in every photo that there is some space in there. I'm not saying moving back/forth level, but at least thickness. I see buckling/slack in the case.
There was a jkontherun review of a sleevecase for a 17" pro and a tiny toshiba or fujitsu and it fit like a glove. Smooth. Likely the macbooks fit properly as well. But this looks to have some give and the specs above seem to verify that. That's my only concern. I wish he made it specifically for the Air to fit custom.

umgolfer
Jun 13, 2008, 03:32 PM

Pros/Cons?

I got a WF sleeve with my MBA from the original owner. Very nice build quality. I really like the type of material they use as it is very padded, yet seems like it would last a long time. I do not have the flap on mine, and it is a horizontal slide in with velcro top. It is way bigger than the MBA, but what isn't? Probably my favorite bag that I own. Very recomended!

Drownfish
Jul 28, 2010, 11:38 PM
Anyone en-counting this problem with their waterfield laptop sleeve.

After bring it to my school. it started peeling off, little furry ball coming out from the balllistic nylon material. it seems that while i am carrying to school it kind of rub against my jeans.