PDA

View Full Version : AIR should have been a G5 not a Core 2

ajaidev
Feb 7, 2008, 06:16 PM
I have been useing my Air quite a lot infact the weight is just so so good its like carryin" anyhow as the air is my first Intel based computer ever...:D

But now to the point even tough the new Air is quite fast i like the tree menu the way it pops up to make a tree of icons in the new 10.5 but the Core 2 is a drag my friend has a 1.5 Ghz PowerBook 12" G4 and he can run the 10.5 really fine also i know that Core2 is faster but guys guys would you not feel better and different if you own a AIR WITH A G4 or a G5:apple:

Why o why did apple take intel over powerpc's...:mad:

I know this is a bit late but "late is better than never"lol

yellow
Feb 7, 2008, 06:18 PM
Why o why did apple take intel over powerpc's...

Serious question or rhetorical question?

Serious question: Because IBM couldn't deliver the goods. Personally I'm glad they switched to Intel.

Rhetorical question: Please don't start threads over rhetorical questions. ;)

gauchogolfer
C2D wipes the floor with G4 or G5, so no, I wouldn't rather have those.

TEG
Sounds like you need to set performance to maximum. The Air has been shown to actually be faster than the fastest PowerMac G5.

TEG

robrose20
Feb 7, 2008, 06:19 PM
I have been useing my Air quite a lot infact the weight is just so so good its like carryin" anyhow as the air is my first Intel based computer ever...:D

But now to the point even tough the new Air is quite fast i like the tree menu the way it pops up to make a tree of icons in the new 10.5 but the Core 2 is a drag my friend has a 1.5 Ghz PowerBook 12" G4 and he can run the 10.5 really fine also i know that Core2 is faster but guys guys would you not feel better and different if you own a AIR WITH A G4 or a G5:apple:

Why o why did apple take intel over powerpc's...:mad:

I know this is a bit late but "late is better than never"lol

The powerpc architecture was not sustainable. IBM was unable to make a mobile version of the G5 and the desktop version was a heat nightmare. The G4 was a descent processor but it is old old old and outmoded. The current lineup of intel chips are pretty good. It was a great strategic move on the part of Apple to go with Intel.

Tallest Skil
Feb 7, 2008, 06:19 PM
*sigh* Pseudo-trolling...

If His Jobsness and Jonathan Ive couldn't fit a G5 into a PowerBook, what makes you think they'd try again years later, after the processor switch, with a thinner notebook, when they have a greater supply of smaller, faster, cooler, better processors?

ajaidev
Feb 7, 2008, 06:26 PM
Ya i know the performance difference but i just saw a MAC VS PC ad on the tele with my friend and when i was showin' of the air and then he says "mac is a pc not a thing else its x86 intel same as what i have in my car so ur air is not a thing special to cheer about its just a pc with a linux OS " that left a deeeeep deeep hole in my heart i huuuged my darling ibook G3 when i came back home...!!!:(

Lone Deranger
Feb 7, 2008, 06:27 PM
Please... go and study this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuation).
Your posts are awful to read.

yellow
Feb 7, 2008, 06:28 PM
Tell your friend, Mac OS X != Linux

ahaxton
Feb 7, 2008, 06:28 PM
IBM is the past, not the future. They'll be a note in a history book soon.

NAG
Feb 7, 2008, 06:29 PM
IBM would not have made the chip necessary to fit in the Macbook Air. Intel did. Simple as that. IBM was too busy flaunting being in all the next gen game consoles and servers to care about the laptop market.

ajaidev
Feb 7, 2008, 06:31 PM
WHat do u guys say about AMD i hear they are Intel's enemy... anyhow searched on net found that amd is almost dead:confused: so does that mean that every thing will be *intel inside* will there be no diversity??

Please... go and study this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuation).
Your posts are awful to read.

Ya, you dont have to read them you know its not like i am watching you from ur windows with a laser gun in my hand....:rolleyes:

BTW This was a joke dont take it too hard:p

Tallest Skil
Feb 7, 2008, 06:34 PM
WHat do u guys say about AMD i hear they are Intel's enemy... anyhow searched on net found that amd is almost dead:confused: so does that mean that every thing will be *intel inside* will there be no diversity??

AMD's the bargain bin of processors. Intel isn't feeling pressured at all by them, and thus has no incentive to release Nehalem in June like I want them to. I wanted a Nehalem Mac Pro. :(

ajaidev
Feb 7, 2008, 06:36 PM

Can u pls clear that up for me?? Is Mac os X 10.5 not linux based ?? I want to so tell him he was wrong...:p

Tallest Skil
Feb 7, 2008, 06:37 PM
They're both UNIX. OS X is just proprietary.

ajaidev
Feb 7, 2008, 06:39 PM
They're both UNIX. OS X is just proprietary.

U mean Unix is linux is Mac os X that means he was right dam!!

BTW u have a snow ibook?? what mac os ??

Tallest Skil
Feb 7, 2008, 06:45 PM
Well... sure. He was right. Yes. Oh, and 10.4. It'll be my laptop for college, as I need my real power behind my desk. Hence, the future Mac Pro.

Oh, fie, I can't take this anymore! This isn't SMS. This isn't Windows Live Messenger, Microsoft Messenger for Mac, or iChat. This isn't a note that gets passed around in class. This is a forum. Forum is a Latin word meaning, in short, the corroboration of intellects in a general or specific use area. Not shorthand.

Sorry, but I represent the ideal that all forum posts should have a specific, concise purpose. That's why my post count isn't higher than it is; I only post when I can deliver information in an aesthetically appealing fashion.

And I just got five points for using aesthetically and corroboration in conversation. Yeah, I'm lame.

Edit: Forgive me, Calculus is giving me a headache... Anyone know the derivative of e^x(sin x+cos x)?

JNB
Feb 7, 2008, 06:49 PM
U mean Unix is linux is Mac os X that means he was right dam!!

Unix is not Linux. Unix is the umbrella name for an entire family of *nix variants.

Linux is Unix.
MacOS is Unix. (BSD, more specifically, NOT Linux)
HP-UX is Unix. (Also BSD, BTW)
Solaris is Unix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix Good reading for you (and your friend).

ajaidev
Feb 7, 2008, 06:51 PM
Well... sure. He was right. Yes. Oh, and 10.4. It'll be my laptop for college, as I need my real power behind my desk. Hence, the future Mac Pro.

Oh, fie, I can't take this anymore! This isn't SMS. This isn't Windows Live Messenger, Microsoft Messenger for Mac, or iChat. This isn't a note that gets passed around in class. This is a forum. Forum is a Latin word meaning, in short, the corroboration of intellects in a general or specific use area. Not shorthand.

Sorry, but I represent the ideal that all forum posts should have a specific, concise purpose. That's why my post count isn't higher than it is; I only post when I can deliver information in an aesthetically appealing fashion.

And I just got five points for using aesthetically and corroboration in conversation. Yeah, I'm lame.

Ooo, jezz a really hot head, anyways killing time in office just taught i would speak my mind about the air maybe not my best decision of today...maybe not:o

Ok definitely not...:p

Mac OS X Ocelot
Feb 7, 2008, 06:58 PM
Ooo, jezz a really hot head, anyways killing time in office just taught i would speak my mind about the air maybe not my best decision of today...maybe not:o

Ok definitely not...:p

Office? Are you sure you don't mean junior high computer class?

ajaidev
Feb 7, 2008, 07:00 PM
Office? Are you sure you don't mean junior high computer class?

Ya, am i Junior high (..the memories...) seriously now have to geekbench now ...!!

thejadedmonkey
Feb 7, 2008, 07:11 PM
Edit: Forgive me, Calculus is giving me a headache... Anyone know the derivative of e^x(sin x+cos x)?

d/dx of e^u = e^u*u', right?.. so it'll be e^x(sinX+cosX)*[x(sinX+cosX)]'

I think... it's been well over a year since I last looked at calc.. or would the [x(sinX+cosX)]' go before the e... shoot!:confused:

Badandy
Feb 7, 2008, 07:12 PM
Go get a PC, you're annoying.

Marlon_JBT
Feb 7, 2008, 07:13 PM
You guys are certainly being a bit harsh today. Doesn't sound like English is his first language?

ChrisA
Feb 7, 2008, 07:14 PM

They are "darn close". Close enough to say they are "related" maybe cousins (have a common grandparent)

If you look at what ships with Mac OS X much of it is exactly the same code as with most Linux distributions.

Of course they are different too.

Tallest Skil
Feb 7, 2008, 07:21 PM
d/dx of e^u = e^u*u', right?.. so it'll be e^x(sinX+cosX)*[x(sinX+cosX)]'

I think... it's been well over a year since I last looked at calc.. or would the [x(sinX+cosX)]' go before the e... shoot!:confused:

Wow. Thanks. :D But... sorry, the sin & cos part wasn't part of the exponent...:o it's just that times e^x. You would've been right, though, if it had been. The forums need to be updated to handle mathematics symbolism. :p

ChrisA
Feb 7, 2008, 07:25 PM
The powerpc architecture was not sustainable. IBM was unable to make a mobile version of the G5 and the desktop version was a heat nightmare. The G4 was a descent processor but it is old old old and outmoded. The current lineup of intel chips are pretty good. It was a great strategic move on the part of Apple to go with Intel.

As far as Macs go the above is true. Put what happened was that small computer (desktop and notebook) market only accounted fro a fraction of what PPC was used for and so the requirements of the small single user computers did not drive IBM's development process. In other words Apple did not buy a large enough fraction of the PPC chips made to make IBM take notice

Today's fastest computer is "BlueGene/L" at Lorance Livermore Labs (sp?) it is build from thousands of quad core PPC chips each running at a lowly 850Mhz This kind of machine is nothing like what Apple wants to build.

Apple choose Intel because the X86 is driven by the needs of small computer users.

iMpathetic
Feb 7, 2008, 07:26 PM
IBM is the past, not the future. They'll be a note in a history book soon.

So, when you say that, do you include or exclude ThinkPads? Because if you include them, I will have to hurt you.

gauchogolfer
Feb 7, 2008, 07:30 PM
So, when you say that, do you include or exclude ThinkPads? Because if you include them, I will have to hurt you.

I think it's obvious they meant IBM processors, not Thinkpads. Besides, those are made by Lenovo now, remember? ;)

ajaidev
Feb 7, 2008, 07:34 PM
Just got my geekbench marks way low anyone got 2001??

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=101475&d=1202434243

BTW the point of this post is to point out my marks...!!!

yellow
Feb 8, 2008, 08:11 AM
If you look at what ships with Mac OS X much of it is exactly the same code as with most Linux distributions.

Would you ever say Windows Vista is just NT4? Probably not. Despite the fact that Vista shares quite a bit in common with NT4. Solaris, despite sharing a common background with Linux is not Linux. Nor are the BSD variants, not HP-UX, nor AIX, etc etc etc.

Saying that OS X is just Linux is wrong and completely missing the point. I don't think your grandma is ever going to end up with a Linux box from best buy. Why? Too complicated. OS X has taken the stability and power of a UNIX base and slapped the Aqua UI over it to make it user friendly. Software developers typically develop for 2 major platforms.. Windows and Mac OS X. Some have Linux distros, but not many.

Saying that Mac OS X is just Linux is a vast oversimplification and borders on FUD and needs to be corrected, lest the FUD spread.

ahaxton
Feb 8, 2008, 09:39 AM

LOL In a way including ThinkPads lol.
I remember back in the day when they were popular and had tons of commercials.

NAG
Feb 8, 2008, 09:56 AM
About OS X being linux, even the Linux guys would take issue with that. There is just no truth in it.

killercheung
Feb 8, 2008, 11:03 AM
AIR should have been a 68K !!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Long live 68K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kabunaru
Feb 8, 2008, 05:03 PM
MacBook Air could've at least used this chip:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=202954

robrose20
Feb 8, 2008, 05:08 PM
As far as Macs go the above is true. Put what happened was that small computer (desktop and notebook) market only accounted fro a fraction of what PPC was used for and so the requirements of the small single user computers did not drive IBM's development process. In other words Apple did not buy a large enough fraction of the PPC chips made to make IBM take notice

Today's fastest computer is "BlueGene/L" at Lorance Livermore Labs (sp?) it is build from thousands of quad core PPC chips each running at a lowly 850Mhz This kind of machine is nothing like what Apple wants to build.

Apple choose Intel because the X86 is driven by the needs of small computer users.

Exactly .... I think IBM is shortsighted with respect to their development designs. oh well ... I like my PowerMac G4.

Batt
Feb 8, 2008, 05:22 PM
Can u pls clear that up for me?? Is Mac os X 10.5 not linux based ?? I want to so tell him he was wrong...:p

Tell him as you choke the life out of him for telling you such crap to begin with. Then get a better friend.

Krevnik
Feb 8, 2008, 05:25 PM

Well, BlueGene/L uses Embedded PPC chips for the massive parallelization. If IBM wants big iron that isn't massively parallel, they have the POWER line of CPUs. Unfortunately, neither of those is suitable for Apple.

And of course, that said, the 360 alone accounted for 15 million+ units of PPC chips from IBM and other partners since 2005. Even though Apple is selling pretty well now, could they have had those sorts of numbers without Boot Camp?

EDIT: It also helps that Sony and Microsoft were willing to subsidize the R&D costs, which IBM wanted from Apple, but Apple didn't feel was cost-effective.

whateverandever
Feb 9, 2008, 01:13 AM
Lots of people here with no clue as to the history of OS X. Surprising, actually.

First, OS X is an operating system. Darwin/XNU is its kernel.
Fedora Core is an operating system. Linux is its kernel.

You can't compare OS X directly to Linux, but rather to a linux distribution.

Anyway, Darwin/XNU was based on FreeBSD and NEXTSTEP.

FreeBSD and Linux both share a lot of core ideology, but disagree greatly on the definition of "free" software. FreeBSD believes "free" software should be able to be used by anyone for anything, with little restrictions attached. Linux believes "free" software should remain monetarily free and requires giving back to the community any modifications to it.

So no, OS X doesn't share ANY code from Linux, but does have similarities at its core level in Darwin.