PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air Owners Rate your MBA

Cybergypsy
Feb 8, 2008, 07:52 AM
Owners only, haters go find another thread... Post why you gave it what you did, and why you love/Hate it so much.

clayj
Feb 8, 2008, 07:59 AM
I give it 9 because there's always room for improvement.

Cybergypsy
Feb 8, 2008, 08:01 AM
As did I, but loving it more each day..

kyleen66
Feb 8, 2008, 08:10 AM
I want to give it a week of usage before I actually rate it. Yesterday I spent a good share of my day reinstalling the OS, putting the software on it I need, and getting it configured. So I haven't really USED it much yet.

I want to be fair in my rating and that's the best way I can do that.

MacRumorUser
Feb 8, 2008, 08:16 AM
8 stars.... nothing is perfect so it was never going to get a 10.

9 stars.... need more time with it, but for the moment certainly an 8 (which I would also rate my SR MBP 2.2)

Edit......

Definitely sticking to my 8. The battery recharge time being so long is definitely a point loser. Other than that I love the thing. Best laptop I've had.

peterlobl
Feb 8, 2008, 09:22 AM
as first mac owned since reagan, well they've come a long way ! ;)

battery is strange in that it drains to oblivion after shut down - weird - might be related to bootcamp.. i dunno - i have to run those gymnastics to get calibration right i guess

also, trackpad differences tween mac/win are no fun and a bad joke (good finger exercise that right click motion)

BUT

ummm - like 9 starts means it is amazing!!

i am able to do page layouts, some photoshop work, some design - real work - and with all mobile functionality i had before - minus a lot of heaviness

i have tried & used vaio's, dells - still have old gateway as backup - MBA blows em all away !

i don't know why i'm surprised - stubborness perhaps - worth the $$$ for sure

chp5592
Feb 8, 2008, 09:39 AM
Wish it was little faster running multiple apps. Fan noise issue is definitely bothersome. Hopefully will be fixed with firmware update. But the laptop is great to use.

instant hit
Feb 8, 2008, 10:42 AM
it's difficult to rate a product -- especially if it's a personal purchase -- as there is always some sort of bias.

in the end, i would've voted 7.5 -- an 8. for me , as i posted in the first impressions thread, a couple gotchas are keeping it from being a 9. for a 10, the product would have to cook breakfast and do my laundry. just kidding! :p

teerexx52
Feb 8, 2008, 10:50 AM
I go 8 stars. Not sure about the battery issues yet.

Cybergypsy
Feb 8, 2008, 10:55 AM
I go 8 stars. Not sure about the battery issues yet. do a reset people have been getting great results :)

teerexx52
Feb 8, 2008, 11:09 AM
do a reset people have been getting great results :)

Yeah I did that. Now gotta see what happens.

NC MacGuy
Feb 8, 2008, 11:18 AM
do a reset people have been getting great results :)

Did a reset on Saturday. After 12 cycles get capacity from 93%-97% with majority at 95%. All after full discharge and recharge.

Cybergypsy
Feb 8, 2008, 11:35 AM
Mine charges in 3.5 hour from empty......

rittchard
Feb 8, 2008, 11:35 AM
I gave it a 9. Loving it so far, and surprised by what it's been able to handle.

Things I'd most like: cooler performance (upgrade to Penryn?) and a faster and/or larger hard drive.

jameskohn
Feb 8, 2008, 12:03 PM
I gave it 7 on a scale of 1-9 (no such thing as a "10"). Love the screen, trackpad, keyboard. Form factor is great; 13" is perfect, weight & size, all good. External optical is a great solution, absolutely no complaint there. Deductions are for lack of processor power and hard drive space... there's just no getting around those issues. Future revisions will address that, I'm sure.

Pretty much what I expected, works great as a second "satellite" computer. MS Office, Safari, iChat (new camera is outstanding), mail all nice and zippy with SSD. Boot up and shut down time are excellent too.

Resolve battery charging issues and it gets an 8 for sure.

Cybergypsy
Feb 8, 2008, 12:17 PM
The person who gave it 1 , is not a owner Macmanus is the poster, you can click on the numbers to see who voted :)

MazingerZ
Feb 8, 2008, 12:20 PM
The person who gave it 1 , is not a owner Macmanus is the poster, you can click on the numbers to see who voted :)

Yeah, I don't think he can comprehend simple english instructions. :p

ctt1wbw
Feb 8, 2008, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I don't think he can comprehend simple english instructions. :p

Dontcha mean engrish instructions? :D

Well, I voted a 10. I can't think of ONE thing that I don't like about the thing, and normally I'm good at finding at least something wrong with anything.

Well, maybe one thing... I hate how it gets hot when I put it on my pillow and use it. I might have to take it back. :D

mctheriot
Feb 8, 2008, 01:03 PM
Gave it an 8. My only real concern so far is Office for Mac 2008. It opens noticeably slower the first time after a reboot. I'm getting used to it - don't know if would have been worth $1300 to NOT have these minor delays.

My frame of reference was a 2.16Ghz MacBook.

Mark

Macmanus
Feb 8, 2008, 01:05 PM
Sorry, I should've put a 10 instead.

Change your title please: "MBA owners rate your MBA from 8 to 10"

:D

diabolic
Feb 8, 2008, 01:08 PM

Guess what? It really IS that nice. Why is that so hard to believe? If it sucked I would have been the first to quickly return it for a refund.

Pretty sad voting in the poll when you don't even own one.

GoCubsGo
Feb 8, 2008, 01:13 PM
I seriously didn't intend to vote but I did. I don't own one but have been lucky enough to play with a friend's who just got one two days ago. Not the SSD one but still stellar. It is a great machine but if I owned it I'd have the same complaint regarding the battery not actually living up to expectations. I didn't know about the reset option so I'll give that a shot.

Cybergypsy
Feb 8, 2008, 01:20 PM
Sorry, I should've put a 10 instead.

:D

The key word was owners....not trolls....If a owner gives it a 1, that would be his decision but trolls are just that and most don't even own a Apple product:(

beatzfreak
Feb 8, 2008, 01:33 PM
Went in to 14th ST NYC to play with it and walked out with the base model.:D

Spent a few hours with verizon updating my router firmware and all is good.

Any so far, I love this thing, though not sure about Leopard.

I gave it a 8.

kanon14
Feb 8, 2008, 01:53 PM
9 stars
It can do everything I want it to do, with decent speed. The 2 improvements I can think of are battery life and storage. As a semi-ultraportable with a non-changable battery the MBA should have a better battery life, perhaps around 7 hrs? For the storage 64gb SSD is a bit limited, but that is not Apple's fault as the price of larger SSD is too expensive for the consumer market atm. I'm very impressed overall.

SCMedic
Feb 8, 2008, 02:55 PM
I was up in the air on this purchase, and figured I'd give it shot. I have an iMac and a new Santa Rosa MB that's 4 months old.. I have to say, I've been pleasantly suprised...

This little thing is packaged in a great form factor, and is definately kick ass!

Even at 1.6, it's pretty peppy. I can't say I've been running into any slowdowns, but I'm also not a power user. If I was, I'd be using a desktop of MBP..

Overall, Nice fit and build. Great quality screen, and even the mono speaker sounds pretty good to the right side of my head.

I'd recommend it, but only if you're willing to be a convert for life!

mashoutposse
Feb 8, 2008, 04:34 PM
I rated it a 9. I'm finding it difficult to find anything truly wrong with it. It's a pretty straight up affair: A beautiful laptop with a large screen, large keyboard, and the smallest body possible wrapped around it, with stellar build quality and more than respectable performance. These design specifications fit my needs perfectly. What's not to like?

raremage
Feb 9, 2008, 06:42 AM
I rated an 8. Rather than focusing on the plusses,I'll point out what brought it down a couple points for me:

1. Single USB. This is an inconvenience, there's no argument here. On site with clients I need my ethernet connection with my current client, but I'd also like to be able to pop my iPhone in to sync. Too much shuffling needed here
2. Battery is a bit wonky - it's a little tough to get a read on just how long I really have left, and it seems to take an inordinate amount of time to recharge.
3. No firewire - This is more of an inconvenience to me during setup than anything else - I wound up just copying everything from my MBP to an external USB drive because the wireless migration assistant is so glitchy.

Thats about it so far - in general it does everything I wanted and performs much better than I had expected.

ProFX
Feb 9, 2008, 07:43 AM
Only 7 from me.
Mostly due to how incredibly slowly my battery charges. I get decent life out of it discharging but the recharge is really painful.

I also think my magsafe connector isn't fully connecting. I feel a strange buzzing dragging my palm/finger over the metal areas to the sides of the touchpad - like you would get if something wasn't grounded properly.

This goes away if I push/hold the magsafe connector in place.

Not sure what I'm going to do about that...

MazingerZ
Feb 9, 2008, 07:53 AM
Only 7 from me.
Mostly due to how incredibly slowly my battery charges. I get decent life out of it discharging but the recharge is really painful.

I also think my magsafe connector isn't fully connecting. I feel a strange buzzing dragging my palm/finger over the metal areas to the sides of the touchpad - like you would get if something wasn't grounded properly.

This goes away if I push/hold the magsafe connector in place.

Not sure what I'm going to do about that...

Bring it into an apple store.

koloo
Feb 10, 2008, 02:03 AM
Absolutely love my MBA, but sometimes when i actually carry it to other room, i feel that it may slip off my hands and fall,cuz its too thin and too light...:eek:

gr8tfly
Feb 10, 2008, 02:40 AM
I was going to give it a 9, but then I realized we also enjoy it when it's off. Gotta be worth a point there, easily. :)

stillwater
Feb 10, 2008, 09:46 AM
I give mine a score of eight.

I really wish they had put one firewire port on it or another USB at least.

Other than that, I love it. The lightness is great when you carry it from room to room. The LED backlit screen is way better than the screen on my core duo MBP. Performance seems fine to me. I really like the keyboard too.

I look forward to taking it with me on my next trip.

Catch
Feb 11, 2008, 11:14 AM
I gave it an 8. Nothing is a10 so it would have been a 9. Especially since I also have a fan problem being stuck at 6200rpm. Not a big deal, but not perfect 10 either. I also took off a point for missing 3G. My house in the country has sketchy broadband and when its not online I will have to use a dongle which I don't like. The machine is the closest to a 10 I have ever experienced though. If I lost it I would buy another in a flash. :)

Once you go Air there's no going back!

C

switched to mac
Feb 11, 2008, 11:28 AM
Well, it's been here a week but I've only had about 24 hours to use it. Don't try the wireless migration (6 hours). Everything else works as advertised and fairly quick (own a MBP 2.33 CD) and battery is very good! Love the keyboard and of course the weight. I might have to get rid of the MBP and just go with the MBA but I'll give it a few more days! I gave it a 9 as the lack of ports and speed keep me from giving it a 10!

Tosser
Feb 11, 2008, 11:58 AM

I didn't believe you, so I clicked on number two.

Anywho, that is how I would have rated it, had I had one.

However, isn't it rather pointless asking owners on a scale from 1-10? Seriously? If they are rating it, say, 1-4, they obviously made a wrong purchase. And who is willing to admit to such a thing, after spending so much money on a mediocre computer?

paulyras
Feb 11, 2008, 12:02 PM
Just broke down and bought one. Gave it an 8-

The network disk stuff is a bit of a pain (though is a one time problem for initial installs), and it seems to have some of the same Airport 'Scanning' issue that the MBP has in leopard, where the connection drops intermittently. REALLY annoying, but I'm hoping 10.5.2 will fix that.

It really only got an 8 because EVERYTHING else is fantastic...

BTW- It's a 1.8, SSD.

Paul

0s and 1s
Feb 12, 2008, 12:15 AM
The constant loud click prevents it from getting a 9. :(

barefeats
Feb 12, 2008, 01:40 AM
I knocked off 2 rating points because,
a) it doesn't have a FireWire port, and
b) it only has 2GB of RAM (and is not expandable).

Catch
Feb 12, 2008, 02:14 AM
I didn't believe you, so I clicked on number two.

Anywho, that is how I would have rated it, had I had one.

However, isn't it rather pointless asking owners on a scale from 1-10? Seriously? If they are rating it, say, 1-4, they obviously made a wrong purchase. And who is willing to admit to such a thing, after spending so much money on a mediocre computer?

A grownup...

C

Tosser
Feb 12, 2008, 11:21 PM
A grownup...

C

LOL, how many "grownups" have you seen defending the MBA, simply because they fell for the looks? I have seen people claiming to be adults, but hardly grownups.

Flyer0815
Feb 12, 2008, 11:25 PM
Clearly the best Apple product ive owned. A flawless experience that was well worth the long shipping wait :)

BWhaler
Feb 12, 2008, 11:40 PM
I gave it a 6, mostly because of the quality issues with the batteries and the fans.

Otherwise, I would have given it an 9. But the quality problems with Apple really need to go.

tnkucomagain
May 13, 2008, 06:37 PM
I give it a nine because of consistent speeds and beauty. I marked down one point because to the left of the keyboard, there is always an excess amount of heat. When I am doing something processor heavy, the area where the battery pack overheats. Otherwise, I recommend you buy one instantly.

By the way, I own a 1.6 ghz 80gb hd.

pstauff
May 13, 2008, 09:08 PM
LOL, Macmanus cannot read. The thread is called, Macbook Air OWNERS. It doesn't count that he looked at one in the Apple store.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4977852&postcount=99

twoodcc
May 13, 2008, 09:36 PM
thanks for this thread. from someone even thinking about a MBA, it's good to read a thread like this.

but i might wait until they update them, before i buy one now

fuzzielitlpanda
May 13, 2008, 09:47 PM
I gave it an 8. I love the mba, but i think the fan and heat problem could have been easily fixed before releasing the mba

wolfie
May 14, 2008, 04:11 AM
i gave it a 8

in a ideal world, to get a ideal score of 10 it would have had a faster processor and its own 3d graphics card.

netdog
May 14, 2008, 04:18 AM
Use it primarily at school and for travel. The more I use it, the more impressed I am. I'd like to up my vote to 11.

If this computer fits your needs (i.e. don't need lots of ports or a bigger screen), it is the best of its kind on the market.

Sesshi
May 14, 2008, 05:39 AM
5 for me.

Looks - No complaints, it's great.
Weight - Good weight for all-day portage but too heavy for what it is, thanks in part to the use of aluminium.
Power - Thermal issues limit the usefulness of the machine, even - very surprisingly - in what I'd consider normal use with my Sony UX's, TZ's and SZ's.
Battery - 4 hours is not bad, but the recharge time kills the usefulness of the machine.

Especially given the tradeoffs I have to conclude the Air's advantages are primarily in the looks area. It has no significant technical advantages and is held back by some crippling problems for people who actually travel and actually do work while travelling. I am really surprised the early reviews didn't mention these issues because they are readily encounterable (sic). Or maybe I shouldn't, as the early reviews were all given to confirmed 'Apple enthusiasts' who could be relied on for a glowing report even if Apple came out with a turd.

The current range-topping Sony TZ runs more predictably, doesn't overheat - and actually runs comparable ultraportable-typical Vista apps pretty much at the same clip as the Air, is a better size for all-day portability and with the extended battery fitted for a 1.38kg (vs 1.36kg of the Air) all-up weight, can run for ~10 hours with the same power saving strategy as I use on the Air - and even the bigger extended battery charges faster. I can also take a spare. It has the ports I actually want to use in normal circumstances, vastly better connectivity and even manages to shoehorn in a drive.

The TZ is what I carry when I don't need a Keynote machine, and it gets a 9 from me on the same yardstick. And when I do need a Keynote machine, the Air is the only OS X machine which is actually all-day portable so I have it by default. I have been trying a Blackbook too more recently as it is a more useful machine, but it is just too heavy, as I anticipated.

The plan next up is to ditch the Air by getting a colleague to hackintosh a TZ or an Ideapad - but I know that wireless issues may persist, etc so I may have to stick with the Air. It's not a terrible machine, but it is less than useful for all its compromises.

BeeS4335
May 14, 2008, 05:39 AM
A wonderful little machine. In fact, now my only machine. Does everything I want. Very pleased.

aussieinrome
May 14, 2008, 06:11 AM
I gave 10 Stars because I'm really happy with my Air, it has exceeded all expectations.

jonswan
May 14, 2008, 07:56 AM
8 stars so far - it may go up to 9. Not lightning fast + not used to the keyboard yet. Otherwise it's an amazing work of art, beautiful and rock solid. I like the fact that it's so thin and light but you open it up and it's a full sized computer with an amazing screen. I left it at the office today and am regretting being parted with it...

Olvenskol
May 14, 2008, 08:44 AM
Gave mine an 8. Could be a 9.

Things that would push the score up for me...

1. Higher RPM hard drive (it is noticeably slow when doing initial program loads after cold boot, for example)

2. Better cooling / fan smarts.

3. Better battery life (3.5 hours for me doing office-style work)

4. 120 GB hard drive

5. 3G

Overall, though, a really nice machine that fills its niche very very well.

silverblack
May 14, 2008, 08:57 AM
10/10 - more that I expected from an ultraportable.

(Base model; only computer that does everything)
BTW, I don't explain that my MBA is underpowered. People think it's underpowered because they are comparing to the performance of a 5-7 pound laptop. If I look at my MBA itself, it is more than fast enough to do everything that I want to do.

jrabbit
May 14, 2008, 10:29 AM
9/10

I am very realistic about my computing needs, and the MBA fits those needs perfectly. It does everything I need it to do, and has a great screen and keyboard. The weight is just right. I have never needed more ports, nor have I experienced any problems (fan/cooling/fit/finish/etc.).

I have no regrets whatsoever, and if the MBA meets your needs (be realistic!), I very highly recommend it.

Why not 10/10? I did have to pay for it...

wordmunger
May 14, 2008, 10:49 AM
I give it an 8. I really like the computer but I find the screen a little washed out. Excellent brightness though. I agree with the folks who say there should be a better way to setup than waiting 14 hours to transfer files over airport.

I also find the mouse button very difficult to push.

I don't care about the lack of ports or DVD drive. If I wanted those things I would have gotten a MacBook.

Overall, nice computer, I'm just a tough customer.

One more thing: Am I the only one who finds the USB port hatch somewhat of a pain to access? I really would have appreciated a port that was less awkward to use.

vendettabass
May 14, 2008, 10:53 AM
I give it an 8. I really like the computer but I find the screen a little washed out.

really hope rev.2 has the 1400x900, like the X300.

Philflow
May 15, 2008, 03:07 AM
I gave it 9 stars.I forgive it it's little quirks. Byfar the sexiest laptop I have ever seen.

But, the fact that I kept my 3 year old Asus laptop as a desktop system (connected to a large LCD) should ring a bell.

So as a second system for on the road the Air rocks, as a mainsystem it's a compromise.

Diseca
May 15, 2008, 06:14 AM
The Air does all the things I bought it for. Don't need fixed optical drive or large HD, I *do* need high build quality, as much portability as possible and a decent OS. 8 stars: battery recharge still over-long after a month and perhaps 20 cycles. That has portability issues, a light & compact machine with no charge is *all* dead weight. We'll see.

However, after a 9-year hiatus I decided that I needed a Mac again. Steep learning curve, 8 stars; 'tho likely that one more star is simply waiting for me to get back up to speed and find it..

poisonapple
May 15, 2008, 01:15 PM
8 stars
I'd have given it 9 if I could upgrade the memory. It could only get 10 stars if it did my work for me ;)

I don't find the battery to be an issue, and couldn't care less about the 80Gb of storage, as I'd use an external drive with any laptop.