PDA

View Full Version : 160 gb only slightly thicker?

steffi
Feb 8, 2008, 01:58 PM
So if you ask me someone decided that the base model would ship with a smaller harddrive in order to make the size differential less than the higher end model.

For instance,

If you have the choice b/w 160 GB and SSD 64 which would you buy?

mrJnC
Feb 8, 2008, 02:21 PM
I think the 80GB HD is just a placeholder of sorts until the day when the only options are SSD's.

The MBA is a platform that will be used for many revisions to come, and I doubt it's form factor will change. See current MB and MBP designs.

Why penalize subsequent MBA generations by making the platform 3mm thicker just to accommodate today's HD technology (which will likely be obsolete in a year)?

Ringu
Feb 8, 2008, 02:27 PM
I'd take the 160gb and any extra thickness. It would save me lugging an external HD in order to take all my photos & music as a travel.

Better still, 320gb, an extra USB port + firewire :)

I think they went with the current thickness purely to be able to claim the title of 'world's thinness'.

dukebound85
Feb 8, 2008, 02:29 PM
I'd take the 160gb and any extra thickness. It would save me lugging an external HD in order to take all my photos & music as a travel.

Better still, 320gb, an extra USB port + firewire :)

I think they went with the current thickness purely to be able to claim the title of 'world's thinness'.

why you mean a mb dont you :rolleyes:

Ringu
Feb 8, 2008, 02:39 PM
No, not a MB. I don't need the superdrive nor even the faster processor (although faster is always nicer).

An MBA with a bigger HD would be just the ticket. I'm sure it's coming. I'm just not sure I can wait :)

mashoutposse
Feb 8, 2008, 03:30 PM
MBA will be an SSD-only line before long.

ahaxton
Feb 8, 2008, 03:33 PM
I am glad they put thinness and weight way up there on the list. I just can't wait to see future revs with larger SSD and possibly even thinner at its thickest point, who knows.

russtic
Feb 8, 2008, 03:40 PM
That makes sense, I had wondered why they hadn't added the 3mm to provide decent HDD space...