Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new Silicon Valley startup is showing off their new integrated circuit that will offer higher quality noise suppression than existing circuitry in today's cellphones. Their technology is said to be able to block up to 25 deciebls of extraneous sound
The company demonstrates its system by placing a cellphone call from a room where loud rock music is being played. When the noise suppression chip is turned on, there is a striking decline in background noise while the speaker’s voice remains clearly audible.
This technology has already been adopted by several handset manufacturers for release this year. No indication if Apple was amongst those interested.

Article Link

liberty4all

Jan 7, 2007
Sounds like the technology in the Aliph Jawbone...

Sounds like the technology in the Aliph Jawbone...

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
The next version iPhone could certainly use this. The current version isn't that great with background noise...

breath of apple

macrumors member
May 2, 2007
This would be great in the iphone!

The next version iPhone could certainly use this. The current version isn't that great with background noise...

I agree...any reduction in background noise would greatly increase the quality of the iphone experience -- for the caller, and the receiver. :apple:

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
This would be great with the iPhone and Apple's iPhone BT adapter. I get complains from the other side of the line when I'm on my iPhone with the BT headset - the background noise is very audible.
Hope they use this and integrate it into future products.

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
would be nice if this is proven to work to see apple adopt this into the iphone. but since it's a hardware thing, the iphone i'll have in my hands in only 2 days won't have it . . . ah well, life in the technological age . . .

alexbo

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2006
Ellensburg, WA
You never know with Apple... Maybe they did put these circuits in already, and they are planning on charging us all $50 to activate the feature?

If anyone would do it, Apple would!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.