PDA

View Full Version : Fast User Switching: not getting the cube effect

snahabed
Oct 24, 2003, 08:08 PM
Panther rules!

Am I missing something obvious? I have enabled fast user switching, but when I select a user from the Menu Extra, I just get a login dialogue, and no fancy cube! :)

Powermac G4, so Quartz Extreme not the issue. Is there a setting I don't see?

Did I mention that Panther rules?

alset
Oct 24, 2003, 08:17 PM
You need set the account without a password. Then it will switch desktops with the animation.

Dan

Evan Laurie
Oct 24, 2003, 08:20 PM
You do not need to set the accounts with out a password you need to make shure the accounts all have the same moniter setings (i.e. same resolution colors and Hz).

Col127
Oct 24, 2003, 08:24 PM
does it require quartz extreme for the animation? i removed the account passwords and it doesn't do the cube effect.

FredAkbar
Oct 24, 2003, 08:26 PM
The passwords of the accounts have nothing to do with whether you get the cube effect. That's all I know on the subject. I've gotten the cube effect on my iMac G4 while switching to another user with a password.

snahabed
Oct 24, 2003, 08:28 PM
I tried with and without passwords.

The display settings are identical.

:(

mnkeybsness
Oct 24, 2003, 08:34 PM
it can all depend on what you have running, how much system resources are being taken up. if there is a system lag, you will miss seeing the animation.

snahabed
Oct 24, 2003, 08:46 PM
should a 867 G4 with over a gig of ram really have a problem showing a cube? :)

not showing up, even when no apps running. i dont think its a resource issue. it has to be something obvious!

doubting_me
Oct 24, 2003, 09:19 PM
It will have nothing to do with your system Ram. Do you have overy 16 megs of VRAM? It is a quartz extreme function and only some cards are supported (e.g. not the rev a Titanium).

snahabed
Oct 24, 2003, 09:22 PM
It works on my TiG4, but not my Quicksilver. I don't know how much VRAM I have, but I can't imagine a Quicksilver is too ancient?

beefcake
Oct 24, 2003, 09:29 PM
Works on my TiBook 1Ghz with password and everything. I'm sure if you wait a few days there will be a fix or an explanation.

Golem
Oct 24, 2003, 10:12 PM
I must be dumb but I cant get it working at all.

Ok Open account preferences.Done

Set Enable fast user switching on under login options. Done

I have 2 users My account (paul) and Other accounts(melissa)

Using it?????

QUOTE]To switch to a user account, just choose it from the menu at the right of the menu bar, then enter the user's password. To switch back to the first user, choose it and enter that user's password.[/QUOTE]

Which menu are they talking about? I cant see any menu under finder nor are system preferences that lets me do it.

I have view,go,window and help on the right of the menu bar in finder.

snahabed
Oct 24, 2003, 11:33 PM
I seem to have plenty of VRAM. Maybe somebody can look at this and see if something is off. If not, I will send feedback.

Quicksilver 867.. from System Profiler:

GeForce2 MX:

Type: display
Bus: AGP
Display Type: LCD
Slot: SLOT-1
VRAM (Total): 32 MB
Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0110
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 1055

Display:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Depth: 32-bit Color
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Main Display: Yes

arn
Oct 24, 2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Golem
I have view,go,window and help on the right of the menu bar in finder.

Look farther right. Against the absolute right side of your screen. Your name. click on it.

For the rest of this thread... you need to have Quartz Extreme capable hardware for the cube effect.

arn

Hugh
Oct 24, 2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by arn
Look farther right. Against the absolute right side of your screen. Your name. click on it.

For the rest of this thread... you need to have Quartz Extreme capable hardware for the cube effect.

arn

Arn,

This may be off the topic, but what cards are Quartz Extreme capable? I thought any thing from the Quicksilvers and up come with a Quartz Extreme card. :/

Yes I know it's a dumb question, but I thought someone had to ask it.

-Hugh

bousozoku
Oct 25, 2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Hugh
Arn,

This may be off the topic, but what cards are Quartz Extreme capable? I thought any thing from the Quicksilvers and up come with a Quartz Extreme card. :/

Yes I know it's a dumb question, but I thought someone had to ask it.

-Hugh

I believe the answer is:

any machine with 2x AGP and

any Radeon or higher with 32MB or more

or

any Nvidia card with 32MB or more

bankshot
Oct 25, 2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Hugh

Actually, according to http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/

Supported video cards: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 MX, or GeForce4 Ti; any ATI AGP RADEON card. A minimum of 16MB VRAM required.

By the way, to the original poster -- did you do an upgrade, archive/install, or clean install? I wonder if many of the initial problems may only be people who did the upgrade option? Just a thought.

Golem
Oct 25, 2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by arn

arn

Thanks arn. Wasnt really expecting a menu that far to the right.
Cool!....

Doctor Q
Oct 25, 2003, 02:08 AM
At The Grove tonight (well, now, technically, it was last night) a guy from Apple gave Panther demos all evening, and his fast user switch didn't do the cube effect. He said he didn't know why!

Hugh
Oct 25, 2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by bankshot
Actually, according to http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/

By the way, to the original poster -- did you do an upgrade, archive/install, or clean install? I wonder if many of the initial problems may only be people who did the upgrade option? Just a thought.

Thanks Bankshot!

That answered the question, and I need to read a little more.. :)

-Hugh

snahabed
Oct 25, 2003, 02:39 AM
Actually, I did a clean install on my Quicksilver, where the cube is not happening.

And I did an upgrade install on my TiG4, where the cube IS happening.

It's a conundrum wrapped in an enigma.

npm
Oct 25, 2003, 02:55 AM
For those who's cube effect is not happening... try switching all users to thousands of colors on all displays.

You still need QE!

snahabed
Oct 25, 2003, 03:01 AM
Nope, changing to thousands didnt work. It DID look like it was STARTING to do the cube, but was really just a tiny tiny hiccup stutter.. it moves half a millimeter before just switching over.

Maybe it is a problem with my resolution? I am on a 23" Cinema Display. I usually am on the smallest... tried changing to a bigger resolution, no effect.

To reiterate... I have a GeForce MX2 with 32MB VRAM. I got QE... I got it in spades baby! That's not the issue.

npm
Oct 25, 2003, 03:15 AM
Sorry the thousands did not work for you.

The cube effect didn't work for me either and I got really frustrated. I found a thread on the Apple Discussions board where the thousands of colors solution was suggested and worked for me.

I have a Apple Cinema and Viewsonic CRT. The cube effect only works with the resolution set exactly the same between the two users you are switching between and the colors at thousands.

I have the 64mb ATI Radeon 9xxx that came with my dual G4 PM.

The effect is very cool.

[edit] Is anyone getting the cube effect with Millions of colors?

Ajmbc
Oct 25, 2003, 06:38 AM
I didn't get many troubles- The cube effect appears on my computer and i'm only running a 700 mHz iBook with 16 mB vram!

--Note: I did a clean install.

=ajmbc

5300cs
Oct 25, 2003, 07:00 AM
I'm on a 550 TiBook and I added a second account after installing, and the cube effect worked.

I have 16M VRAM. (resolution set to millions of colors.)

mj_1903
Oct 25, 2003, 07:04 AM
PowerMac Dual 867, PowerBook 867...both get Cube effect. Both set to Millions of colors.

No problems here (have been running the final build for weeks thanks to ADC).

aethier
Oct 25, 2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by npm

[edit] Is anyone getting the cube effect with Millions of colors?

On my 15inch al pb, highest resolution, and millions of colors, i get the effect with no problem. i created a guest account judt so that i could play with the effect when ever i am bored..

aethier

SilentPanda
Oct 26, 2003, 11:11 AM
If you have two monitors set up and they are mirrors of each other I don't believe you get the cube effect. If they are not mirrors then you only get the effect on one.

My 15" iMac does the cube effect set at 1024x768 and millions of colors.

kalashnicov
Oct 29, 2003, 04:53 AM
i have the same problem with my old PMG4 450 Mhz ATI Rage 128 Pro 16 MB VRAM, normally it should work.
resolutions are the same , doesn't work with thousands or millions.

but i also have an iMac 700 GeForce 2 MX 32 MB VRAM and there it works fine with millions

and some apps wont start up , the dock start resizing for a fraction of a second and its gone again.
i mean programs like aviray and divxray

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/search.php?plt%5B%5D=macosx&mode=basic&action=search&str=mov+avi&x=0&y=0

but for those apps i can use 'save as' in quicktime pro
anyone has the sam problem ?

Foxer
Oct 29, 2003, 09:34 AM
I had to set both users' passwords, otherwise it would go to the old log-in screen.

Wonder Boy
Oct 29, 2003, 09:56 AM
what about a late 2001 600mhz ibook with 384 megs of ram?

but im assuming the answer is "no way will the cube effect work"

blacktea
Nov 3, 2003, 11:29 AM
kalashnicov - the same problem here.. G4/450 dual/1GB RAM - ATI Rage120PRO 16MB VRAM

... whatever, i'll wait for my 15" PB. and.. the fancy cube is just a "very cool" effect anyway, as steve would say. let them play with it while we others explore the much more interesting depths of 10.3 :)

bograt
Nov 8, 2003, 09:11 AM
Doesn't work with my 23" on 1920*1200 though 1024*768(stretched) works fine. I guess the resolution just isnt cube shaped. I really am not going to change it though so I hope a fix comes for this soon as I've been waiting a long time for this. Only reason I know it must be the resolution is because of trying of different computers with different resolutions etc. - I can't believe Apple haven't noticed or said anything about this. Give it a couple of weeks and they should do something, otherwise it's petition time.

migroves
Nov 24, 2003, 12:29 PM
seems to be a resolution issue.
I usually run at 1600x1200 and the cube effect did not happen. However lowering the resolution to 1280x1024 for both users made the effect work. Both users need same resolution and bit depth. It worked with thousands as well as millions of colours.

I don't know if this is the limit for the cube effect or if it is the limit if you have 32MB of vram, maybe if you have a card with more vram the cube might work at higher resolution.

Tried on G4 (digital audio) 533 mhz with 768 MB ram and nv Geforce 2 MX 32 MB

Huked on Fonick
Nov 24, 2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Wonder Boy
what about a late 2001 600mhz ibook with 384 megs of ram?

but im assuming the answer is "no way will the cube effect work"

it will work if change QE to require only 8megs of ram and not 16 otherwise it wont work, i am not sure of the draw backs of changeing QE to run with 8 megs of ram i did it on my dad 600mhz ibook and there doesent seem to be any, cube feature works on his(its a 8meg video card)

FuzzyBallz
Nov 24, 2003, 11:49 PM
The disappointments. Gonna try it tomorrow, hope mine works.

Update: Just tried it, and it freaking works. Yay for me. Dual 1.25 G4, 1 GB RAM, ATI 9000Pro w/ 64MB RAM. And, I'm using a 20" Cinema Display, 1680x1050, Millions.

abhishekit
Nov 25, 2003, 12:23 AM
i dont know if i m getting the question right...long thread...bad memory...
but if u said that when u try to switch the user u see a login window...give ur password...then it will show u the cube ....
dats what i do ..it always asks the password..but then it does the cube effect too...
i m sorry if i m totally out of line here...as i said...i dont know what ques is goin on currently....