PDA

View Full Version : Wireless cutting out every few hours.

neocitron
Feb 12, 2008, 11:48 PM
Hey Guys.

Got my Air almost a week ago and I'm pretty happy so far.
However I'm getting random disconnects / air not finding the router occasionally, sometimes more than twice an hour. I'd come home and open the lid and my Air would say it couldn't find a preferred network.

I've tried deleting all the airport prefs in the system / library folders.

I've tried deleting my remembered networks from the network pref panel.

I've tried completely reformatting and installing os x (takes a while with remote disk)

I've tried resetting the parameter RAM (apple option P + R on reboot)

I've tried resetting the CMOS ( Shift control option POWER for 5 seconds)

I've tried messing with the router's settings. Currently i'm on n/g mode my Xbox 360 needs g. I'm using WPA security with AES encryption on channel 8, most my neighbors are one channel 6 or 11

I'm using a pretty well known router, Dlink DIR-655 extreme n with latest firmware. I'm also running 10.5.2 with all updates.

Note that this problem has been occurring since 10.5.1 for me.

Anyone with this router having issues as well?

PS: here is my unboxing of my Air. (http://vfs.facebook.com/album.php?aid=92129&l=4f961&id=656635528)

Nickcaragwa
Feb 13, 2008, 12:24 AM
I have had similar issues in the past 2 weeks with my MacBook...I am usually able to resolve the problem by powering off the wireless access point (Netgear) and then powering back on...still have not found out what the cause of the problem is though.

lostless
Feb 13, 2008, 12:39 AM
I get the same with my mac book pro. I just go to the airport menu, select other network and type my ssid. Connects right away. beats me what it is.

Cybergypsy
Feb 13, 2008, 07:15 AM
No issues here never dropped yet using N airport...

dahcheet
Feb 13, 2008, 07:44 AM
Any problems with signal strength?

I've noticed my Air scanning for wireless networks when I click on the Airport icon in the Menu Bar but I'm still connected to my router when it does the scan.

MazingerZ
Feb 13, 2008, 07:53 AM
Sounds like an issue with the router more than the MBA.

clayj
Feb 13, 2008, 08:05 AM
I've noticed a couple of random network disconnects myself, each time during a long multi-hour syncing of my iPhone (which goes over the wireless between my MBA, where iTunes is running and the iPhone is docked, and my Mac Pro, where the music files live). I don't know if this is the MBA's fault, or my D-Link router's fault (I have a D-Link DI-634M), so I wouldn't assign blame just based on what I've seen so far. Could be the MBA, could be the router.

MazingerZ
Feb 13, 2008, 08:09 AM
I've noticed a couple of random network disconnects myself, each time during a long multi-hour syncing of my iPhone (which goes over the wireless between my MBA, where iTunes is running and the iPhone is docked, and my Mac Pro, where the music files live). I don't know if this is the MBA's fault, or my D-Link router's fault (I have a D-Link DI-634M), so I wouldn't assign blame just based on what I've seen so far. Could be the MBA, could be the router.

Have you tried a different brand of router?

clayj
Feb 13, 2008, 08:20 AM
Have you tried a different brand of router?:confused:

I'm not going to go buy another router to test this sort of thing. It's a minor inconvenience which only seems to be a bother when there's a long process that involves a continuous stream of information over the network... which is not something most people will do too often.

But there's an easy way to test it yourself: Fire up iTunes, pick an Internet radio station you like (I like Groove Salad), and hit play. See how long it plays before it cuts out due to a network issue.

MazingerZ
Feb 13, 2008, 08:25 AM
:confused:

I'm not going to go buy another router to test this sort of thing. It's a minor inconvenience which only seems to be a bother when there's a long process that involves a continuous stream of information over the network... which is not something most people will do too often.

But there's an easy way to test it yourself: Fire up iTunes, pick an Internet radio station you like (I like Groove Salad), and hit play. See how long it plays before it cuts out due to a network issue.

I do this every weekend with my SONOS system using my Airport Extreme..no problems at all. I've also tried linksys and belkin routers before and they work as advertised. D-Links on the other hand are crap, IMHO.

clayj
Feb 13, 2008, 08:29 AM
I do this every weekend with my SONOS system using my Airport Extreme..no problems at all. I've also tried linksys and belkin routers before and they work as advertised. D-Links on the other hand are crap, IMHO.Well, mine have worked perfectly (as near as I can tell) so far. I may consider upgrading to an N-capable router at some point, but I also need it to work perfectly with Xbox Live, which the Airport router does NOT do, from everything I've read.

dahcheet
Feb 13, 2008, 08:29 AM
I think I saw a post somewhere that people have been having problems with their DLink routers after the upgrade to 10.5.2. Although you had your problems BEFORE 10.5.2 it could be seen as a common theme.

Did you try updating your router's firmware? That's one of the first things I try when I think something might be up with my router.

clayj
Feb 13, 2008, 08:35 AM
I think I saw a post somewhere that people have been having problems with their DLink routers after the upgrade to 10.5.2. Although you had your problems BEFORE 10.5.2 it could be seen as a common theme.

Did you try updating your router's firmware? That's one of the first things I try when I think something might be up with my router.I did have problems before AND after 10.5.2, so that's not it. And my router hasn't had a firmware update available since 2006... I think it has been officially EOLed by D-Link.

My (obsessive) need for continuity of branding means that the Airport may not work for me even if it does support Xbox Live, because I have a lot of wired network connections and the Airport Extreme only has two or three Ethernet ports... Apple sadly doesn't make a simple Ethernet 4- or 5-port switch that I could use to add additional wired network connections.

neocitron
Feb 13, 2008, 05:30 PM
Hi. Sorry for the late reply.
But i have a PC on the network that's running a Dlink extreme N card (3 ants)
that never cuts out... like never.

That basically narrows it down to my Air. My Xbox 360 also never cuts out of live.

It seems to happen during sustained transfers rather than just browsing the web.

weckart
Feb 13, 2008, 05:54 PM
This is a known issue with Leopard. Have you checked the 10.5.2 wiki?

I have the same issues with my Macbook Pro SR and my Macbook C2D, both running 10.5.2. None with a Mac mini running 10.4.11.

wrinklefree
Feb 13, 2008, 05:55 PM
Im having the exact same problem before and after 10.5.2.

I have 3 other laptops on wireless, all XP/Vista and never had a problem with dropped connections. On the Air I can't stay connected for more than 20 mins before it cuts out. If I force it to reconnect it usually does, but drops again shortly after despite showing a full signal strength. Extremely frustrating!

I'm running a 1 yr old SBC wireless router/access point that I lease from ATT with the latest firmware. I tried changing channels but to no avail.

Doing a google search revealed other Macs have had similar problems but nobody has a real solution. I was hoping 10.5.2 would fix it, but it appears not.

now what?!

rich a
Feb 13, 2008, 08:20 PM
Having a similar problem myself, with my Netgear router. Every couple of minutes I will just lose my connection, but my Airport will still show that I have a signal. I'm having trouble with downloads as well, because of the erratic connection. It's actually really irritating.

But I'm thinking its more of a router issue, rather than the MBA, as I have no trouble when I'm using my girlfriend's wi-fi (she has Airport Extreme) or with my college's wi-fi.

Thi
Feb 13, 2008, 10:31 PM
Same here, after 10.5.2 the linksys is having the same problem as a dlink in a different location. Is anyone having this problem with airport extreme? I may have to buy a new router. Dlink has stopped support my router and its also time to upgrade to N.

MazingerZ
Feb 13, 2008, 10:33 PM
Mine has been ok with an Airport Extreme.

neocitron
Feb 14, 2008, 02:40 AM
I seemed to have found some sort of stable setting here.

If you go into your router's preferences ( in my case i have a DIR-655 ) and turn off any QoS services, the connection seems solid afterwards, even waking from sleep.

Note that some routers don't even have wireless QoS services. In that case they may be permanently on or just unchangeable.

(stands for quality of service, basically gives priority and 'shapes' traffic to accommodate wireless clients, in this case, the MBA. Problem with this is that it actually changes the data flow from the cable/dsl modem in and out of the router... some wireless cards don't like that)

sookainian
Feb 16, 2008, 08:50 PM
I'm still having this internet dropping problems. Every 40 - 45 mins, the internet will automatically disconnect. Then i'll have to manually reconnect it. If not no matter how long i wait, it wont auto reconnect back.

I've tried pressing and hold the POWER for 10 - 15 seconds

I am using 2Wire 2700HGV-2, 2.4ghz G, channel 11 ( all my neighbor are using channel 6 ) WEP encryption, does not have QoS (off)

But still no luck. I'm quite worried is my MBair network card got problem ? because if have, i'll have to do a exchange before next week... :(

MazingerZ
Feb 16, 2008, 10:16 PM
I'm still having this internet dropping problems. Every 40 - 45 mins, the internet will automatically disconnect. Then i'll have to manually reconnect it. If not no matter how long i wait, it wont auto reconnect back.

I've tried pressing and hold the POWER for 10 - 15 seconds

I am using 2Wire 2700HGV-2, 2.4ghz G, channel 11 ( all my neighbor are using channel 6 ) WEP encryption, does not have QoS (off)

But still no luck. I'm quite worried is my MBair network card got problem ? because if have, i'll have to do a exchange before next week... :(

Again, I would say try a different router first.

anothermacaddic
Feb 16, 2008, 10:38 PM
The router is junk. Never consider any dlink products.

sookainian
Feb 16, 2008, 11:06 PM
Again, I would say try a different router first.

I'm not sure on that. But my MacBook pro and window dasktop is working fine. They can stay connected for the whole day.

I also notice when i connect my bluetooth Mighty Mouse, my MacBook Air will disconnect in every 10 mins or faster.

How ? is it a software or hardware issue ?

BPerdeck
Feb 16, 2008, 11:10 PM
if my access point is G then that G signal gets sent to an extender then to an apple N airport then that sends the signal to my iMac, an I getting G or N signal?

anothermacaddic
Feb 17, 2008, 09:51 AM
I'm not sure on that. But my MacBook pro and window dasktop is working fine. They can stay connected for the whole day.

I also notice when i connect my bluetooth Mighty Mouse, my MacBook Air will disconnect in every 10 mins or faster.

How ? is it a software or hardware issue ?
OUCH now thats a kicker. I would just have assumed its the same os/firmware problem im having with out the bluetooth knock outs. Id look in the crash logs and see if anything is picked up in there before jumping to conclusions on this one. Im not 100 percent sure about this MBA but i was under the full impression that the airport and bluetooth cards were seperate. IF they are I would say that the two issues you are having are symbian, one causing the other. IF the airport and bluetooth are on the same card, which i doubt, then i might start thinking its a hardware problem with the card. There are TONS of people reporting problems with dlink products (and they dont have a forum to my knowledge). Just ditch that thing as a 25 dollar mistake, shred it, grind it up, use it for target practice or just smash it with your car or a sledge. It will help with the stress im sure you are starting to feel with the disconnects. Remember mba is a baby, when you are first on the block you also share the beta like testing process. I guess its a MBAb :D mbaby.

sookainian
Feb 18, 2008, 11:21 AM
I have tried disabling my WEP/WPA. No security. But also every 10 - 40 mins it will disconnect/drop.

How ?? to solve this DCing/dropping problem =(

frijole
Feb 18, 2008, 08:32 PM
[x] me too, my desk is less than 3 feet from an airport extreme, and it can't find it or loses it regularly.

neocitron
Feb 28, 2008, 01:44 AM
I think i'll try turning on bluetooth as well and see how that helps, if at all.

So far so good though.

Cybergypsy
Feb 28, 2008, 08:15 AM
after almost 4 weeks using it 8+ hours a day, nothing, never dropped once.

ViperrepiV
Feb 28, 2008, 03:46 PM
I think this is a known problem of Leopard, except when using with apple branded routers.

clayj
Feb 28, 2008, 04:01 PM
I think this is a known problem of Leopard, except when using with apple branded routers.It can happen even with an AirPort Extreme base station; it has happened to me.

MacMan33
Feb 28, 2008, 06:28 PM
I think this is a known problem of Leopard, except when using with apple branded routers.

this is an issue with the OS 10.5.2 not any router issue. They need to fix this issue now!!!

sookainian
Feb 29, 2008, 01:54 AM
this is an issue with the OS 10.5.2 not any router issue. They need to fix this issue now!!!

Nothing wrong with 10.5.2. Because i just reformat my MBair to 10.5.1 and still the same problem. Keep on disconnecting.

10.5.1 and 10.5.2 using 2Wire 2700HGV-2 with default WEP also keep disconnecting.

kydee6039
Feb 29, 2008, 09:05 AM
It's a known problem with leopard - 10.5/10.51/10.52. I have the same 2Wire 2700HGV-2 router and it dropped once in a while with my macbook but with the air it can happen 3-4 times in an hour.

Very annoying.

mcvaughan
Feb 29, 2008, 09:38 AM
Hey Guys.

Got my Air almost a week ago and I'm pretty happy so far.
However I'm getting random disconnects / air not finding the router occasionally, sometimes more than twice an hour. I'd come home and open the lid and my Air would say it couldn't find a preferred network.

I've tried completely reformatting and installing os x (takes a while with remote disk)

I've tried messing with the router's settings. Currently i'm on n/g mode my Xbox 360 needs g. I'm using WPA security with AES encryption on channel 8, most my neighbors are one channel 6 or 11

I'm using a pretty well known router, Dlink DIR-655 extreme n with latest firmware. I'm also running 10.5.2 with all updates.

Note that this problem has been occurring since 10.5.1 for me.

Anyone with this router having issues as well?

PS: here is my unboxing of my Air. (http://vfs.facebook.com/album.php?aid=92129&l=4f961&id=656635528)

Try hardsetting the speed G-only or N-only on your router.

kydee6039
Mar 2, 2008, 10:48 AM
Man this is frustrating. Just as I was about to post this message I got disconnected again. I would say I disconnect about 10-15 times an hour. I have a 2Wire 2700 router. I previously had a macbook and had zero problems connecting. My current desktop connects without any problems as well. Basically it disconnects and I have to go select the network again for it to connect. This is happening a lot.

Any suggestions??

dicin
Mar 2, 2008, 11:09 AM
The disconnect has been happening to me every few hours with the Wireless router from Bell set up to Sympatico as the provider. I have the same problem with the MBA and the iPhone which I need to renew the lease every once in a while.

They will send me another modem / wireless / router and Bellís tech support tells me to change channel on the wireless router.

I will let you know in a few days.

kydee6039
Mar 2, 2008, 11:38 AM
The disconnect has been happening to me every few hours with the Wireless router from Bell set up to Sympatico as the provider. I have the same problem with the MBA and the iPhone which I need to renew the lease every once in a while.

They will send me another modem / wireless / router and Bellís tech support tells me to change channel on the wireless router.

I will let you know in a few days.

I'm in the same situation. Sympatico with the white router. I can tell you the new router will NOT fix the problem. I think it has to do with leopard and wireless. Annoying beyond belief.

Does anyone have any possible solutions???

dicin
Mar 2, 2008, 04:12 PM
kydee6039

Thatís exactly it. Did you try to change the channel?

sookainian
Mar 3, 2008, 03:22 AM
Hmm i think MBair and 2Wire 2700 AP model got some connection problems.

I actually tried setting to wireless B and somehow it seems to be able to hold on longer.

I tried connecting to Wireless@SG and i didn't get disconnected after a few hours of using. Even when i'm in the office using Linksys router, i can stay connected for the whole day with out a disconnection.

So maybe it's really got to do with the MBair wireless adaptor and 2Wire access point.

.adam
Mar 3, 2008, 03:30 AM
This is a known issue with Leopard. Personally I never had a problem with 10.5.1 and have only started experiencing drop-outs after updating to 10.5.2.

Whenever I click my Airport menu button, I am told that Airport is "Scanning" - this is literally ocurring all the time as if it is permanently scanning.

MacRitz
Mar 4, 2008, 11:29 AM
I have MBA and I've tried with 3 different brands. The problem persists. Is is possible to configure the Airport scan to do it on demand? Or at least can I configure it to do it every hour?

NC MacGuy
Mar 4, 2008, 01:35 PM
I've used mine extensively and only seen it cut out a couple of times. Both of these are when I was on an outside network. One thing I did notice is absolutely no drops w. my Airport base stations (three so far) so I'd surmise it's an issue w. non-Apple routers as others have suggested. But others have said theirs have cut out w. Airport base stationed??

Mine too when clicking on Airport icon keeps spinning(searching) where as my MBP or other 10.5.2 systems search and stop.

clayj
Mar 4, 2008, 01:38 PM
I've used mine extensively and only seen it cut out a couple of times. Both of these are when I was on an outside network. One thing I did notice is absolutely no drops w. Airport base station (three so far) so I'd surmise it's an issue w. non-Apple routers as others have suggested.Try telling that to my AEBS. ;-)

NC MacGuy
Mar 4, 2008, 01:42 PM
Try telling that to my AEBS. ;-)

I read your post and edited accordingly. I really haven't seen any dropouts on my Airport Base Stations. I don't have any expresses. Could it be the Express?

Drive on up and see for yourself:D

dahcheet
Mar 4, 2008, 01:48 PM
This is a known issue with Leopard. Personally I never had a problem with 10.5.1 and have only started experiencing drop-outs after updating to 10.5.2.

Whenever I click my Airport menu button, I am told that Airport is "Scanning" - this is literally ocurring all the time as if it is permanently scanning.

I've seen mine doing the same thing but my connection doesn't drop. I don't think it has at all since I've had my MBA. I have a Linksys router 802.11g.

MacRitz
Mar 4, 2008, 05:20 PM
Guys, is there any way of blocking the "Airport:Scanning..." stuff. This will put a rock on this matter.

PS:configuring the interval between scan process would be great also.

theinjuryexpert
Mar 5, 2008, 01:37 AM
Air, 10.5.2, Belkin N1 Vision router ... just started a couple days ago and now randomly drops. Picks it right back up if I turn off Airport and immediately turn it right back on. Reboots and SMC reset seem to make no difference. Oddly, this didn't happen when I upgraded to 10.5.2 but just ... started.

I'm tempted to head up to my local Apple Store, but I haven't heard anyone here talk of their experiences. Any help to be found with the geniuses?

kydee6039
Mar 6, 2008, 08:33 PM
Has anyone figured this out?? My internet cuts out about 5-10 times an hour. It will either reconnect itself within 5-10 seconds or I have to reselect my network myself.

Very frustrating!!!

mcvaughan
Mar 6, 2008, 09:18 PM
Has anyone figured this out?? My internet cuts out about 5-10 times an hour. It will either reconnect itself within 5-10 seconds or I have to reselect my network myself.

Very frustrating!!!

Try changing the channel on your router and hard-set the speed to G-only or N-only (avoid mixed).

ipodtouchy333
Mar 6, 2008, 09:32 PM
I also have this disconnecting problem with, dare I say, my PC (don't worry, looking to get a mac soon). I have a linksys A+G router and I seem to have to reconnect it quite often.

sookainian
Mar 6, 2008, 11:05 PM
Try changing the channel on your router and hard-set the speed to G-only or N-only (avoid mixed).

I have tried changing channels and selecting G or B only. Also keep on disconnecting.

theinjuryexpert
Mar 6, 2008, 11:18 PM
Nope, neither worked. There's a Macbook on the network as well as several other devices and only the MBA has the problem. It's clearly in the MBA, but that's about all I know.

FrankyJ
Mar 6, 2008, 11:20 PM
This problem is ridiculous... i turn on my MBA and SOMETIMES the bluetooth works, and RARELY the wireless Lan works... and when i click on the airport, it says no Airport Card Installed... WTF IS THIS?!?!

MacRitz
Mar 7, 2008, 07:14 AM
Does anyone know how to disable "Airport: Scanning..." feature? Or at least configure the interval between these scans?

kydee6039
Mar 7, 2008, 07:55 AM
Same problem. Changed the channel and set the router to "g" but still the same problem. This is getting out of hand.

Whenever I go up to check my airport it always seems to be scanning even though my network is selected - why??

MacRitz
Mar 7, 2008, 08:29 AM
Hey, I just talked to a friend (he works for Apple) and he suggested to try this:
http://www.tuaw.com/2008/02/25/potential-fix-for-an-annoying-macbook-air-wireless-issue/

Post your results here. I'm testing now and I'll let you guys know ASAP.

theinjuryexpert
Mar 7, 2008, 04:14 PM
The keychain fix didn't work for me. Seems to be the same problem and I too think it has something to do with scanning. Anytime I select the menu icon, it's "searching". Interestingly, it doesn't appear to actually lose connection -- the icon is still darkened, but the router notes that it's not attached. Once the snow clear, my local genius is getting a visit and I'll report back.

kydee6039
Mar 8, 2008, 08:37 AM
This is a complete JOKE!!! I have tried everything and nothing works. It is obviously a problem with leopard. I had this problem with my macbook but not half as bad as what I'm experiencing with my air. Literally in an hour it cuts out about 10 times.

How can apple get away with something like this?? I've read through forums/blogs and TONS of people are experiencing this!!!

trip1ex
Mar 8, 2008, 09:46 AM
The keychain fix didn't work for me. Seems to be the same problem and I too think it has something to do with scanning. Anytime I select the menu icon, it's "searching". Interestingly, it doesn't appear to actually lose connection -- the icon is still darkened, but the router notes that it's not attached. Once the snow clear, my local genius is getting a visit and I'll report back.

It's normal for it to search when you click the wireless icon.

kydee6039
Mar 12, 2008, 12:27 AM
Has anyone found a solution to there wireless cutting out??

I just remembered tonight that I purchased an airport express a while back and I'm hoping that changing to this will help me out. I have a few questions though. Right now I have that 2wire all in one wireless router. If I plug the airport express in - I need to connect a ethernet cable into it to get wireless. So would that cable be coming from my 2wire or would I need to get a normal modem??? Second question - The problem with the airport express is - it only has one ethernet port (that will be used for the wireless connection) and I have one other device (slingbox) that I need to plug in. Can I purchase the ethernet adapter for the macbook air - plug it into the usb port of the airport express and then plug the slingbox into the ethernet adapter?? Does that make sense??

Any advice would be appreciated.

sookainian
Mar 16, 2008, 11:31 AM
I just bought my Time Capsule like an hour ago.

Got back home and set it up right away. (2Wire 2700 bridge with Time Capsule)

45mins just passed, and i have not DC once. Wishing me all the best for the next few hours ? i hope it will stay solid for the next few hours.

If not i'll throw the Time Capsule and MacBook Air back to Apple and screw them. :D

digitalfx
Mar 16, 2008, 11:43 AM
I just bought my Time Capsule like an hour ago.

Got back home and set it up right away. (2Wire 2700 bridge with Time Capsule)

45mins just passed, and i have not DC once. Wishing me all the best for the next few hours ? i hope it will stay solid for the next few hours.

If not i'll throw the Time Capsule and MacBook Air back to Apple and screw them. :D

best of luck...my TC is a POS. I have spent over a week fighting this crap, just when I think I got it working it drops again. Its going back for a refund on Monday.

kydee6039
Mar 16, 2008, 12:00 PM
For anyone that has the white 2wire router - RETURN IT. It is a complete piece of junk. I just purchased a linksys router (WRT54G) and for 3 days not one drop - THANK GOD!!!

sookainian
Mar 16, 2008, 12:29 PM
best of luck...my TC is a POS. I have spent over a week fighting this crap, just when I think I got it working it drops again. Its going back for a refund on Monday.

2 hours have just pass with out a DC. Normally my 2wire will DC like every 5 - 45 mins. i'll never be able to hold for more then an hour.

Time Capsule
Version 7.3
WPA2 personal
Channel 3
Wireless 802.11N only(2.4ghz)
temperature degree 50

Btw, just wondering my Time Capsule is around 40 - 50 degrees. Is this normal ?

Finally !!! i manage to get 6 hours of solid connection with out disconnecting with the setting listed above. I'll try to set it to Wireless 802.11N(b&g compatible) and see how things goes.

sookainian
Mar 17, 2008, 11:35 AM
I think my disconnecting problem is solved. So far so good. I've been online for hours and not a single disconnection.

Even the Time Capsule is backing up my stuffs with out a glitch.

Man... now i love my MacBook Air even more !

Radio Mode: 802.11n (b/g compatible)
Security: WPA/WPA2 Personal
Channel: Auto
Transmitting Power: 100%

theinjuryexpert
Mar 23, 2008, 11:49 AM
I've noticed over the past week that the wireless dropping issue is worse when plugged in. When plugged in, it drops roughly once every half hour. (At that site, it's no more than three feet from the router.) When not plugged in, it's about once every two hours or so. The fan also runs significantly higher when plugged in, I assume due to the heat of charging. Anyone else seeing similar issues?

hotdamn
Mar 23, 2008, 12:54 PM
I have this issue with my Macbook Air aswell!
I am using it with an Airport Extreme, the newest one.

It's a minor inconvenience but at the same time rather aggravating.

clayj
Mar 23, 2008, 12:58 PM
OK, I am probably jinxing myself here, but I've not had a single wireless network disconnect since Apple released the AirPort update last week. I updated my AEBS and AirPort Express, and installed the new AirPort drivers on all of my machines, including my MBA. Since then, it has been rock solid.

Heavenkittykat
Mar 24, 2008, 02:23 PM
This happens to me too. I have a sony SZ laptop, Iphone and Macbook air but only the air loses connection from time to time. By the way, I have 2wire router/modem from old SBC. It's pretty old, but it still works.

I also have a problem with my Air only detecting few wireless signals compared to my iphone and sz. Sometimes when i'm on the last floor of the library at my university, I can't connect to internet anymore while my other laptops usually can.

So I guess this is an MBA issue not really a router issue.

theinjuryexpert
Mar 26, 2008, 06:57 AM
I was working on something today and saw something completely different from a normal "drop." I was using Adium to chat and it never lost connection, though Safari would not load for nearly four minutes and said "not connected." Tried the same thing with Firefox and once again, Adium remained connected. Is this possibly an HTTP problem rather than just a connection issue?

darwiniandude
Mar 26, 2008, 08:15 AM
this is not just a problem with the air

do a google on delayedack intel startup script fix airport or similar, there is a thing you type I'm terminal that fixes this but it has to be done on each boot, so someone made an auto script.

Let me know I'd you can't find it.
I would paste a URL, but I'm on the iPhone. So its a bit hard. :)

This is a leopard issue.

theinjuryexpert
Mar 26, 2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks for that. Thing is, while this makes sense, it doesn't explain why a recent Intel Blackbook is not having (nor has it ever had) a similar dropping issue. I think it's still clearly a MBA issue, though there's no way to test Tiger on MBA, is there? Not that I'd go back.

nsbio
Mar 26, 2008, 11:05 PM
Does Apple know about this issue? Would it be ok to ask the folks who are having problems with their relatively recent setups to give Apple support a ring? They probably won't offer you a magic fix but at least they will be told about the issue once again.

My G4 PB does not seem to drop connections with 10.5.2 (or with any flavor of Leopard) with any of the 3 wireless networks that I have spent any time on. But if a new machine does, then it is a really big deal. It is the same as if your new car would stall randomly during driving - this has to be addressed, or at least the manufacturer has to be notified, immediately.

brandoneus
Mar 26, 2008, 11:40 PM
Several things to consider:

If a poll were taken, I would expect the users experiencing higher dropout rates would find they are in an environment with a lot of nearby activity on the same radio frequencies that WiFi is using. It is conceivable to momentarily run out of WiFi radio channels in a densely covered area. Of course, things will get back to normal soon enough but it would cause something like what is being described here.

WiFi equipment makers don't do everything exactly the same way. There are cases where pro WiFi equipment does not play well together, so the issue described in this thread is no surprise. However, it isn't the end of the world either.

The first thing I would tell everyone is to completely turn off or disable IPV6.

Next, Please tell me everyone has a unique SSID. Even if you don't see any other access points make sure you have given yours something nobody else would have. Never ever use the default name.

Try moving as close to your WiFi access point as you can and see if the situation improves. If it does, it may be an interference issue which can be quite complex and difficult to resolve.

If bluetooth seems to have any effect on your WiFi I would suspect an interference issue because they use the same radio frequencies.

You might try changing the channel selection on your WiFi access point, and moving it to a higher physical location, or moving the antennas higher. Also, turn on WPA and MAC address filtering, and turn off SSID broadcast.

It may be that you have to do everything above to prevent drop outs completely.

There is a VERY slim chance you may live in a spot where WiFi is completely saturated and there just isn't room for another. In that case be glad you have much of a connection at all. Worst case would be that there is pro WiFi equipment close by that will eventually make it impossible for your consumer WiFi to operate at all.

If for some reason WiFi just never seems to work at your location no matter who's equipment is used, try a different wireless networking technology that uses a different radio band. "A" band has never been as popular and is a little more expensive, but it works very very well. I don't know of any "mesh" wireless equipment for OS X, but they may exist.

I hope this helps resolve at least some of these issues. Best of luck!

-Brandoneus

theinjuryexpert
Mar 28, 2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks for that, but you've missed one of the key points, Brandoneus --

This ONLY happens on my MBA. MacBook across the room (also Intel, also Leopard) doesn't do this. My Tivos, all on home network, don't drop, ever. It's actually getting worse for me, so I'm headed to the Mac Genius once I'm back in town for a couple days.

brandoneus
Mar 28, 2008, 10:32 PM
I am sorry you continue to have issues and hope they are quickly resolved.

-Brandoneus

sookainian
Mar 28, 2008, 11:07 PM
Thanks for that, but you've missed one of the key points, Brandoneus --

This ONLY happens on my MBA. MacBook across the room (also Intel, also Leopard) doesn't do this. My Tivos, all on home network, don't drop, ever. It's actually getting worse for me, so I'm headed to the Mac Genius once I'm back in town for a couple days.

What router are you using ?

theinjuryexpert
Apr 1, 2008, 08:45 AM
I have a Belkin N1 Vision at home, but the same problem occurs on the road *and* none of the other devices in the house lose their connections, so this is definitely an MBA problem. I've been keeping track the last three days and the longest that I've held a connection is 20 minutes. I changed the router's wireless channel to make sure that wasn't the issue (it's not). I'm finally giving up and heading to the Apple Store today. I'll keep you informed.

theinjuryexpert
Apr 1, 2008, 08:21 PM
Great experience with the Mac Genius has cleared up the Wireless issue but now I have something new going on ...

To summarize, the MBA appears to be very, very succeptible to interference. If you're seeing several overlapping areas of wi-fi in your area, change to channels 9 or 11, or if those are taken, whatever is most free. (Not sure why 9 and 11, but seems to work.) A switch to 11 has eliminated the problem for almost five hours. My previous long "streak" was 20 minutes.

Downside is that my chip is running very hot (170 F v prev 150 F) under normal use and battery life is way down. (70% = 1:10). Not sure if the two are related.

Trelony
Apr 12, 2008, 04:01 PM
Use iStumbler to find out what channels your neighbours are using.

Mhaddy
Apr 13, 2008, 04:19 PM
I seemed to have found some sort of stable setting here.

If you go into your router's preferences ( in my case i have a DIR-655 ) and turn off any QoS services, the connection seems solid afterwards, even waking from sleep.

Note that some routers don't even have wireless QoS services. In that case they may be permanently on or just unchangeable.

(stands for quality of service, basically gives priority and 'shapes' traffic to accommodate wireless clients, in this case, the MBA. Problem with this is that it actually changes the data flow from the cable/dsl modem in and out of the router... some wireless cards don't like that)
I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch, but I was having similar issues as people in this thread with wireless cutting out after 10.5.2 and EFI Firmware Update 1.0 and so far, turning off QoS on my router seems to have fixed things. I'll post back with updates to see how long this lasts! Thanks neocitron!

Edit: Unfortunately, I don't think the QoS was the issue, as the problem crept up again a little while after. I have taken Brandoneus' advice and changed my channel to 11 (even though I am not in a heavy wireless zone) and also disabled IPV6. So far, so good!

darwiniandude
Apr 13, 2008, 11:50 PM
have you tried the delayed ack intel startup item fix? That's what fixed this behavior on all my macs.

aussieinrome
Apr 14, 2008, 03:42 AM
My MBA is the only laptop/umpc that has not had a problem with the Wifi dropping out (in my office, which has the worst Wifi in the world - until I got my MBA that is). My Vaio TR did, my Vaio UX did, my Toshiba did, and my Wife's Vaio all had problems with dropping out...

It's funny, it bugs the guys I work with that I have no Wifi problems.

hotdamn
Apr 14, 2008, 04:59 AM
It's funny, it bugs the guys I work with that I have no Wifi problems.

it bugs me too that your macbook air is so perfect. ;)

aussieinrome
Apr 14, 2008, 04:07 PM
it bugs me too that your macbook air is so perfect. ;)

It's not, there is what appears to be a small smudge to the right if the trackpad... nothings ever perfect.

steve31
Apr 30, 2008, 08:33 PM
Dose anyone know if the airport is slower on the MBA than the MBP? They both run the same wireless cards but my MBA seems slower loading web pages.