Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I'm using our recent MacBook Santa Rosa laptops for our image master. I know that the retail Leopard installer disc has produced an install image viable on PowerPC and Intel. Has anyone had any experience using a supposedly only Intel Leopard installation on PowerPC yet?

Spievy

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2002
Virginia
I received a Leopard update disc w/ my 2.0GHz refurb iMac. The disc works great with my G4s. I have updated Leopard on the list of cpus below with this 1 disc. However the disc DID NOT specifically say Intel only.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Thanks

I had a good feeling that the disc had binaries for both Intel and PowerPC. It's 6 GB for just the operating system alone! Tiger (PowerPC) was a slim 1.9 GB.

Spievy

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2002
Virginia
I would think if your Leopard disc is specifically made for updating Intels, you wouldn't be able to boot into the Leopard installer with a PPC. It wouldn't make sense to have both boot binaries on the disc but not the installer.

Pop it in and see what happens :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I have the grey machine specific MacBook Santa Rosa discs and not the Drop-In Upgrade one. It's not going to work but thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.