Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Is anybody else having a problem with bit torrent crashing immediatly with panther. It used to work decently for me under jag but just doesn't seem to like the new OS. In the crash log I'm getting a Kernel protection error.

Thanks,

BEN

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Re: Bit Torrent in panther

Originally posted by saabmp3
Is anybody else having a problem with bit torrent crashing immediatly with panther. It used to work decently for me under jag but just doesn't seem to like the new OS. In the crash log I'm getting a Kernel protection error.

Thanks,

BEN

may not be the best place to be asking this question,

Bit torrent supports warez and thats not supported here

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Ummm, lets see, FTP supports warez too but I don't see that being a problem here.

On the other note, I'm using 3.3 (I THINK), I installed 3.2 then tried to put 3.3 on but I don't think I did it completely. I'll have to work on it some more.

Thanks,

BEN

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
its funny how when someone asks a question the only warez talk comes from the people who say you might not want to talk about it. bittorrent only supports warez when you use it that way, and in that case everything can be used for warez if you think hard enough. anyways, i have been using the new 3.3 version on panther for some time now and has been working great, go download it from versiontracker.com

iJon

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by iJon
its funny how when someone asks a question the only warez talk comes from the people who say you might not want to talk about it. bittorrent only supports warez when you use it that way, and in that case everything can be used for warez if you think hard enough. anyways, i have been using the new 3.3 version on panther for some time now and has been working great, go download it from versiontracker.com

iJon
i've been told... LOL

back to the question

There is a working version on the bit torrent website, claims to be unofficial... i have yet to try it - no 10.3 to run it on

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Hmm, well I know for sure I'm using the 3.3 release but it's still crashing. This is sorta frustrating for the fact that I have nothing better to do but let this fester right now :(.

Oh well, I'm sure it'll work itself out, things usually do that on the mac :p

BEN

PS. Point noted Wes, I won't say nothin about servers except for the best one out there! 127.0.0.1 YEAH!

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Remember, here on MR, chat about file-sharing is allowed as long as the chat stays general, IE: Programs, protocols etc, and is only prohibited about specifics, servers, certain files etc.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by saabmp3
[BPS. Point noted Wes, I won't say nothin about servers except for the best one out there! 127.0.0.1 YEAH! [/B]

Hey i tried that one...no files, it just took me to my own computer... what gives

LOL .... HAHAHAHAHAHA :D :D

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by amin
Bittorrent 3.2.2a works well in Panther. What's better about 3.3?
well a lot of internal things just for improvment. the best feature is that it only scans the torrent until it detects what you downloaded. before if would scan all 100 percent, and then decide how much you downloaded. also before if you downloaded a file, lets sayd 500mb, it would make a 500mb file on your hard disk, even if you hae only download like 5mb of it. now the space adds up as you download it, like any normal file. go to bittorrents home page to read more on the new changes.

iJon

nacl99

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2003
AZ

the official 3.3 does not work on Panther

However, there is an unofficial 3.3 that works in Panther just fine, it is on most of the torrent sites.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: 3.3

Originally posted by nacl99
the official 3.3 does not work on Panther

However, there is an unofficial 3.3 that works in Panther just fine, it is on most of the torrent sites.
i have been using the 3.3 version that was posted on versiontracker a couple of days ago in panther just fine. i would assume the version posted on versiontracker would be the official, and says nothing about being unofficial.

iJon

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I have official 3.3, but don't have Panther to test it on :(

I emailed my local reseller on Thursday about getting a student copy of Panther and they haven't replied yet :mad:

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Nermal
I have official 3.3, but don't have Panther to test it on :(

I emailed my local reseller on Thursday about getting a student copy of Panther and they haven't replied yet :mad:
resellers dont seel education apple software, unless its a campus book store of some sort.

iJon

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Re: Re: Bit Torrent in panther

Originally posted by revenuee
may not be the best place to be asking this question,

Bit torrent supports warez and thats not supported here

BitTorrent is also used to distribute trailers and independent films to relieve stress from servers (Fanimatrix, for example). I think it is unfair to automatically assume that the only reason for using BT is to break the law.

I loaded BT without loading a download and had no problem. v 3.2.2

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Bit Torrent in panther

Originally posted by alset
BitTorrent is also used to distribute trailers and independent films to relieve stress from servers (Fanimatrix, for example). I think it is unfair to automatically assume that the only reason for using BT is to break the law.

I loaded BT without loading a download and had no problem. v 3.2.2

i already said "i've been told" isn't that enough... common i get it -

i was wrong, burn me at the steak

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Bit Torrent in panther

Originally posted by revenuee
i was wrong, burn me at the steak

It's stake.

(just kidding ;) sorry thought it'd be funny)

Anyway, some on VersionTracker are having the same problems, but some aren't. Try deleting your old prefs and reinstalling.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i'm having the same problem.

i've installed Dev Tools, and version 3.3 still won't work, quite as soon as you start to DL. i tried to get 3.2.2, but it was still v3.3 when i started the app?:confused: does anyone know where i can get v3.2.2?

i've also tried and unofficial version, from http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent but it doesn't seem to be working. it doesn't crash, but it just sits there and has the progress bar as if it's still loading. is this the unofficial version that people are talking about, or is there another one? if so could someone please post a link?

i've also tried using eetee, from VersionTracker. it works, but it's damned slow, and i just end up uploading more than i DL. it constantly UL's at 10KB/s and i only DL at 2, 5KB/s if i'm lucky. does anyone know how to fix this? or is this how BitTorrent works?

has anyone who previously couldn't get BT to work have it working now? i'm getting *slightly* annoyed with it now, and i'm sure i'm not alone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.