Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Handbrake has the AC3 patch for a MP4 container in their svn

http://trac.handbrake.fr/changeset/1261

I'm not at home so I can't test how well it works but reports are saying so far so good.

For those willing just compile from source ... otherwise wait for the release ... no idea how long it will take.

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Sorry for my ignorance but is this something in an update or how do I utilize this info? I use HB a lot and want to take advantage.

Kevin:apple:

Diode

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Sorry for my ignorance but is this something in an update or how do I utilize this info? I use HB a lot and want to take advantage.

Kevin:apple:

For now you need to compile the code from the SVN in order to gain the feature. Anyone can do this but it takes some technical know-how to perform.

I'm sure they will release a update soon when they think the update is stable enough for general use.

It's implemented into the gui by selecting the 3rd mp4 option ATC/H.264 / AC-3

bilabong said:
does this mean VH will be getting a mp4 container soon too?

No idea .. I would assume they are not far behind. Don't use that product so I don't follow it's development.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Kevin,

To use this you would have to download the source code from the developer's subversion repository and compile it yourself. If you don't already know how to do that (I don't!) then you're better waiting for the full release.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
If you do compile your own, please do not expect to receive any support for this feature... they strongly discourage users reporting problems with SVN code on their forums; it is really there so that other developers can help.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
If you do compile your own, please do not expect to receive any support for this feature... they strongly discourage users reporting problems with SVN code on their forums; it is really there so that other developers can help.

You sir are correct. I posted this merely to show that a solution has been found and is in the pipeline for a future release.

uva25

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
You sir are correct. I posted this merely to show that a solution has been found and is in the pipeline for a future release.
Great news. Sounds like I have to recode all my dvds or do you anticipate there will be an easy way to convert just the audio?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Great news. Sounds like I have to recode all my dvds or do you anticipate there will be an easy way to convert just the audio?

The handbrake developers themselves are planning on re-encoding after this release. There is also going to be better iPod encoding with anamorphic support as well.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
What sucks is that it seems that it still only works on the ATV, because it will only have the AC3 track, and not a mix of AC3 and a AAC stereo.

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
Only on .mov files though right? I need .mp4 to hold the meta tags...

to be honest mate with my g5 it's gonna take me a while to find out! Started my first encode last night, and it currently says...

Looks like I lied, file 1 will be done when it's done.

I love VH :p

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I wouldn't be surprised to see that 0.9.2 will have both AC3 and AAC 2-channel embedded in the transcode. Patience...

Oh, I know they are working towards it... but right now Handbrake's design doesn't understand how to handle encoding different audio streams into different codecs (or passing them through in this case).

Depending on what they want to do for 0.9.2, they might not have time for such work.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
So as an experiment, I encoded a few chapters of a Ratatouille as both an MPEG-4 with AAC and MKV with AC3.

Then I extracted the AC3 sound file out of the MKV file, pasted it into the MPEG-4 file and voilà.

Seems to work fine on both my Apple TV and through QuickTime (with Perian 1.1 installed). I was quite surprised that the audio and video actually synced up.

Anyways, I think I'll wait for Handbrake to get updated before I do any full re-encodes.

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
yeah I tried an old AC3 experiment file with the new :apple:TV and it played in 5.1 fine. Will need to have Perian on any mac that I want to be able to listen to the new encodes but that's no big deal. Looks like I will have dual encodes for each movie::apple:TV5.1 and iPhone/iPod.

65StangBoy

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2007
So as an experiment, I encoded a few chapters of a Ratatouille as both an MPEG-4 with AAC and MKV with AC3.

Then I extracted the AC3 sound file out of the MKV file, pasted it into the MPEG-4 file and voilà.

Seems to work fine on both my Apple TV and through QuickTime (with Perian 1.1 installed). I was quite surprised that the audio and video actually synced up.

Anyways, I think I'll wait for Handbrake to get updated before I do any full re-encodes.

How are you accomplishing this? I'm trying to put the AC3 audio from an .MKV into a .MP4. I've tried doing it in QuickTime but it just puts the two files end to end (video plays and then the audio plays).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.