Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sowillo14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2007
I did this rendering of a roll-off dumpster truck that will go on a logo of the same kind of company. I did this as the first project of my internship. The truck will go on top of a clover, with the name of the company. My job was to render the truck in Illustrator.

Picture1-2.png

Picture2-2.png

PS...The green background was just for posting it here without the CS checkerboard background;)

PS...The green background was just for posting it here without the CS checkerboard background;)

PSS....I only had two days to complete it. Hard to do with all my other homework.:rolleyes:

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
well...

it's pretty good. You definately know you way around illustrator, but if i may make a few suggestions.

#1 The gradient in the window is too harsh. It almost looks just like the gradient on the bumper, and so it almost looks like windshield is bending.

#2 you have about 2 or 3 different styles going on in this illustration. you've got semi-photorealistic and like a black-line cartoon look going on. The actual dump on truck isn't rendered as realistically as other parts are...almost like you gave up on it. The Hydraulic lift on the dump has no perspective so it looks like it's coming out the side of the truck. and there are a lot of flat pieces in there that should feel dimensional. I"m not saying add a gradient to everything, but something need a little something.

-JE

also, what kind of logo needs a full-out rendered truck in it. Sounds really complicated.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
Very nicely done.

Do you have the original image that you traced by chance? Just curious to see the comparison.

Oh, and watch the paths on the front bumper, seems to be a spot of trouble with the blue.

I agree also that you should tone down the gradients a bit, it's too harsh in some places.

On the whole, a good effort :)

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
also, what kind of logo needs a full-out rendered truck in it. Sounds really complicated.

Agreed. That's what I thought. Unless the logo is ONLY going to be on the side of the trucks themselves I'd stick to only keeping it one color (then add colors to it afterwards).

Unless of course the client wants it that way... of course printing anything will be expensive - as you would only be able to go either greyscale or CMYK :p

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Very nicely done.

Do you have the original image that you traced by chance? Just curious to see the comparison.

Yeah... The truck "bed" is a little off (doesn't look like it would drop down into place) so I don't know if it has been traced. At least not from an image with the "bed" in the up position

sowillo14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2007
Very nicely done.

Oh, and watch the paths on the front bumper, seems to be a spot of trouble with the blue.

I agree also that you should tone down the gradients a bit, it's too harsh in some places.

This is the original
TW1071640RO_L_Dlarge.jpg

Agreed. That's what I thought. Unless the logo is ONLY going to be on the side of the trucks themselves I'd stick to only keeping it one color (then add colors to it afterwards).

Unless of course the client wants it that way... of course printing anything will be expensive - as you would only be able to go either greyscale or CMYK :p

This is exactly what the client wanted...
It will go on the side of their trucks....
Picture5.png

One thing I love about everyone here is that I get good honest criticism. I really appreciate it, because the next time I have to render a vehicle, I will keep all you have said in mind.:)I know what Jason was saying about the can, but I knew I was going to have to put the phone number on it, and there is no way that would've happened with all the slats on the sides of those dumpsters. Once again, thanks too everyone who posted!:apple::apple:

This is the original
TW1071640RO_L_Dlarge.jpg

This is exactly what the client wanted...
It will go on the side of their trucks....
Picture5.png

Very nicely done.

If you look on my wireframe, I have a nice path that was going to be a reflection of the visor off the windshield, but time didn't permit.:mad:So, they got the pissed off gradient look. Remember, this was done for free by me. I realize that I am an intern, but they would have had to sub that out to someone else, or said F: you. They are only Ps dudes, that do web design, so any serious vectoring will come to me. But I love it.:confused::D

If you look on my wireframe, I have a nice path that was going to be a reflection of the visor off the windshield, but time didn't permit.:mad:So, they got the pissed off gradient look. Remember, this was done for free by me. I realize that I am an intern, but they would have had to sub that out to someone else, or said F: you. They are only Ps dudes, that do web design, so any serious vectoring will come to me. But I love it.:confused::D

Hell, I had an opacity mask set up for it to, to make it fade out on the surface. Oh well..Thats what I get for being a realist.:eek::apple:

chonch18

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2009
Roll-off truck illustration

I work for a roll-off company that is currently updating our website. I would like to have you design a similar truck for our companies site. Obviously we would be willing to compensate you for your time. If interested please respond to this thread.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The containers are usually wide enough to go over the wheels.
AKA your red box is not wide enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.