PDA

View Full Version : Monitors and more monitors...

appletothecore
Feb 15, 2008, 02:09 AM
I finally got my system rounded up and my octo 2.8 is unboxed. I had the good fortune of getting a crazy good deal on two 30" ACD monitors. I am hesitant to unbox both, because while I can fit them on my workspace, I am worried its going to be too much screen after a while.

I want two screens. I am going to be doing primarily Photoshop and Final Cut Studio work. Should I sell one of the 30 inchers and get a less expensive smaller screen that can be dedicated to email, and apps that dont require real estate, or am I stupid to get rid of one?

I know it's a good problem to have. If anyone can recommend a better alternative to this set up let me know.

Thank you much in advance. This forum got me through the wait for the 8800 :)

edesignuk
Feb 15, 2008, 02:11 AM
If you have them (and so can afford them) I can't possibly imagine any reason to get rid of one. Keep them!

timmillwood
Feb 15, 2008, 02:41 AM
I'll take one off your hands if you want, I'll pay postage too!

johny5
Feb 15, 2008, 03:53 AM
Jees thats A LOT of resolution for what you require? IMHO you should just try 1 for the time been and setup spaces for your email etc. My spaces is set to the centre mouse button so i can flick between spaces very quickly and I dont have to turn my head in the process :)

So, just open and use one, see how you get on, then sell the other (at a profit if you got them at a good price)

imacdaddy
Feb 15, 2008, 10:53 AM
I was debating on 2 x 24" but I got 1 x 26" instead. I'm going to rely on Spaces for other apps on full screen instead of resized or whatever across 2 screens. And I'll be helping the planet by consuming less energy! :cool:

BryanLyle
Feb 15, 2008, 11:01 AM
I have a 30 inch screen in front of me and a 24 inch screen on the side. I love the size of the 30 and the extra screen. I am running Windows (through Parallels) on the second screen. It makes it easy to go back / forth.

island
Feb 15, 2008, 11:26 AM
I find the 30" too big for everyday use (internet / 10 windows open at the same time) but 2 x 24" is pretty good.

It really depends on what you do.

IC3D
Mar 10, 2008, 06:37 AM
I have 2 ACD 30's and was going to go with 2 24's but that extra real estate is good when you are doing print work and want to view the image w/o zooming in with scroll bars left and right. Also really good for when doing image editing after a shoot, also great for video editing.

I do admit, it might be OVERWHELMING for some, if they are coming from say 20" monitor or even a 24", but you'll get use to it and appreciate it, especially if you run duals. <3

pastrychef
Mar 10, 2008, 08:01 AM
I'm using a 30" monitor now and if I had the desk real estate and could afford it, I'd love to have another 30". I hate overlapping windows... I say keep both of them and enjoy it!