Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markfc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
Has anyone used an external drive to try and upgrade the AppleTV with a 3.5" Drive? I don't mean using the USB port.

I'm thinking of buying a 2.5" ide to 3.5" adapter lead then buying one of these ;

131433453_big__1.jpg

Obvisouly it will involve a lot of butchery but any cables coming out the back of the AppleTV won't be seen.

Reckon it will work? I might give it a got just using a normal 500gb 3.5" ide drive I have spare.

tronic72

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Not to be a smart @ss but.....WHY??

With the new Apple TV take 2, you can only save your photos to the HD. It would take heaps and heaps of rentals to fill 160 GB

Correct me if I'm wrong.

markfc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
Not to be a smart @ss but.....WHY??

With the new Apple TV take 2, you can only save your photos to the HD. It would take heaps and heaps of rentals to fill 160 GB

Correct me if I'm wrong.

What? Why don't you stop being an @ss.

I want all my media on there that's why.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
Check the awkward TV and other ATV hack sites. I have seen someone run the cable out the back and it was fine, but I also think they hacked it as well. Shouldn't make any difference though.

It might run a lot cooler without that hard drive in it.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
both theoretically and practically i dont see why it wouldnt work.. if its connected via direct cable it should easily read it and work.... should work as if its still inbuilt..

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Has anyone used an external drive to try and upgrade the AppleTV with a 3.5" Drive? I don't mean using the USB port. I'm thinking of buying a 2.5" ide to 3.5" adapter lead then buying one of these ;

Obvisouly it will involve a lot of butchery but any cables coming out the back of the AppleTV won't be seen.

Reckon it will work? I might give it a got just using a normal 500gb 3.5" ide drive I have spare.

Yes, it's been discussed before. The unanswered question has been where do you find the adapter? I've checked my catalogs and cannot locate one. If you can find one, it may even be possible to strap two drives (master/slave) and use OSX's RAID facilities to initialize them as a single volume (e.g., 1.5 TB ATV).

Let us know how your experiment goes.

johnguynn

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
Just as an FYI, I have one of those drives and it's so loud that I had to turn off Time Machine because the fan noise was keeping me up at night (it's in my bedroom.) Now I just use Backup and only turn the drive on when I need to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.