PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious New Preference Pane

Phil Of Mac
Oct 26, 2003, 01:11 AM
Okay, Panther gave me a new preference pane...I don't think this was supposed to happen:

Phil Of Mac
Oct 26, 2003, 01:11 AM
If I open the "Hardware" Preference Pane, I get this. Is this supposed to be here? What is up with this!?:

Taavi
Oct 26, 2003, 01:16 AM
what does show control in menu bar give you? (screenshots if you would please, this is interesting)

alset
Oct 26, 2003, 01:17 AM
Interesting. I haven't ever seen anything like this on the rest of the net.

I'd say you should contact Apple and ask if it's a feature or a bug.

Dan

Phil Of Mac
Oct 26, 2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Taavi
what does show control in menu bar give you? (screenshots if you would please, this is interesting)

Absolutely nothing.

Also, I can apparently use the menu by L2 Cache to turn the L2 Cache on and off. I keep turning it on, but it just goes back off!

Phil Of Mac
Oct 26, 2003, 01:20 AM
Some more info: I upgraded over 10.2.8 (the second release) on a 15" PowerBook G4 Aluminum, 1.25 GHz processor (although the Hardware preference pane tells me they cheated me out of 50 MHz; those bastards!), stock except a slight change in RAM configuration.

Also, I think this just mysteriously appeared after awhile!

Taavi
Oct 26, 2003, 01:24 AM
If your want to delete it go to Computer/(Hard drive)/System/Library/preferencepanes/ and look for something saying hardware.

I'd take a screen shot of it and send a bug report to apple just for good measure too.

bankshot
Oct 26, 2003, 01:25 AM
I was perplexed when it appeared for me, too, but then I remembered that I has just installed the Developer CD and had checked the CHUD Tools option. I'll bet it's part of that.

Phil Of Mac
Oct 26, 2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by bankshot
I was perplexed when it appeared for me, too, but then I remembered that I has just installed the Developer CD and had checked the CHUD Tools option. I'll bet it's part of that.

Oh, damn, you're right! You're right! That's exactly what I did!

Time to uninstall and reinstall Xcode! (I could just delete the preference pane...but I won't.)

MoparShaha
Oct 26, 2003, 01:28 AM
That preference pane shows up when you install Xcode Developer's Tools. On my machine, a dual processor Power Mac, it also gives me the option of shutting off one processor. When I shut one off, even in Apple System Profiler it only shows one processor. Interesting stuff.

MoparShaha
Oct 26, 2003, 01:34 AM
Oh yeah, here's a shot of the Control in the menu bar.

macfreek57
Oct 26, 2003, 01:37 AM
no, no, no

i remember this being discussed in some of the forums when panther was still being seeded to developers,
it was originally for the g5 and to use or dis-use(??) the daul processorism

i don't know it's late
but it was discussed before (a while ago)

Phil Of Mac
Oct 26, 2003, 01:50 AM
And finally, as quickly as it started, it has stopped. Thanks for the help, guys!

Phil Of Mac
Oct 26, 2003, 02:09 PM
There's a utility in Developer/Applications/CHUD that's called "CHUD Remover" that removes all the CHUD stuff. That's what I used.

jywv8
Oct 26, 2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by macfreek57
no, no, no

i remember this being discussed in some of the forums when panther was still being seeded to developers,
it was originally for the g5 and to use or dis-use(??) the daul processorism

i don't know it's late
but it was discussed before (a while ago)

You can also use it to turn off "napping", which was causing some sqeaky/cricket noises on some Dual G5s. I remember reading about this on some other thread here, but I can't find the link right now.

...ah here it is:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41217&highlight=nap+hardware

Scroll down to the posting by KentuckyApple.

XnavxeMiyyep
Oct 26, 2003, 02:45 PM
The option of switching from dual processor mode to single processor mode may be a sign: Dual Processor PowerBooks coming soon!:D

Just turn off the second processor for improved battery life.

Phil Of Mac
Oct 26, 2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by XnavxeMiyyep
The option of switching from dual processor mode to single processor mode may be a sign: Dual Processor PowerBooks coming soon!:D

Or it may be a sign that it already works on dual processor Power Macs.

XnavxeMiyyep
Oct 26, 2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
Or it may be a sign that it already works on dual processor Power Macs. But what would be the use of turning off the second processor of a Powermac?

Phil Of Mac
Oct 26, 2003, 03:12 PM
But what would be the use of turning off the second processor of a Powermac?

It's a part of *developer tools*. Testing and benchmarking, anyone? It is NOT a part of the normal install!

XnavxeMiyyep
Oct 26, 2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
It's a part of *developer tools*. Testing and benchmarking, anyone? It is NOT a part of the normal install! Okay, you have a good point. Well, I'm still hoping for Dual Processor Powerbooks, even though they now seem just as unlikely as before.

Doctor Q
Oct 26, 2003, 03:55 PM
But what would be the use of turning off the second processor of a Powermac? Just a wild guess, but maybe it helps sometimes when debugging code. If you are following low-level execution in a multithreaded program, I can imagine it might make the processing more predictable if you allow only a single processor to run.