PDA

View Full Version : No Video on Rental Movies

twenel
Feb 16, 2008, 06:09 PM
OK, this is irritating. I just rented my first movie using my ATV2 and it seems to have downloaded and everything works fine. I can watch movie trailers and other video like video podcasts. When I select "play" the movie seems to start (the countdown to 24 hours was activated) but there is no audio or video. The ATV2 is connected to my Sony HD TV using component cables.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

camarobh
Feb 16, 2008, 08:51 PM
I think the problem is HDCP (content protection). It doesn't work with component cables, you have to use HDMI.

bbydon
Feb 16, 2008, 09:15 PM
I don't own an apple tv so i cant verify this.
But i was reading on the apple support forums here
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1398948&tstart=0

and they made it sound like there was a new update for the update.
2.0.1 or something.
again i don't know this for sure but it might help your situation

slate1
Feb 16, 2008, 09:57 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) Alltel HTC Touch)

I think the problem is HDCP (content protection). It doesn't work with component cables, you have to use HDMI.

AppleTV does not require HDMI, it works just fine in my setup via component cables.

camarobh
Feb 16, 2008, 10:28 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) Alltel HTC Touch)

AppleTV does not require HDMI, it works just fine in my setup via component cables.

Have you rented and watched a movie? I thought I remembered that a digital connection (HDMI) was required for rented movies.

slate1
Feb 16, 2008, 10:31 PM

Have you rented and watched a movie? I thought I remembered that a digital connection (HDMI) was required for rented movies.

yes - two in fact, one SD one HD

camarobh
Feb 16, 2008, 10:35 PM

yes - two in fact, one SD one HD

I guess that clears that up! So much for my memory. Thanks.