PDA

View Full Version : A Complete List of HD Movies on Apple TV for you

ozodesign
Feb 18, 2008, 11:50 AM
Hi All,

I come baring what is hopefully a gift which is in demand. At least I know I wanted and couldn't find it.

I am putting together a site called www.appletvjunkie.com (http://www.appletvjunkie.com). This site will provide thee most current list of HD movies available on Apple TV along with, and this is the most important point as far as i'm concerned, what NEW HD movies have been added on a daily basis. I've looked far and wide and I have yet to find any sort of comprehensive list, so I am taking it upon myself to create it for our Apple TV community.

How many of us have been at work, thinking about a movie to watch for the coming night or weekend, but had no way of either remembering or knowing exactly what HD movies were provided on Apple TV. Well you will now. Remember, this is HD movies only. For a list of current SD movies you can log into the iTunes Store at any time.

I'll do my best to provide any current Apple TV news and I encourage any feedback the community may have.

I know this is a over used term, but, the site is in a kind of Beta mode right now. I am currently using iWeb to produce this site, but, it does have it's limitations. I do hope to move off of it in the near future in favor of something a little more flexible.

So please check out www.appletvjunkie.com (http://www.appletvjunkie.com) when you have a chance. I hope you find it useful.

skinnylegs
Feb 18, 2008, 11:55 AM
Great idea. Don't want to sound too picky but there is nothing under New For This Week. How often is this updated?

temtexdent
Feb 18, 2008, 11:58 AM
Great idea. Don't want to sound too picky but there is nothing under New For This Week. How often is this updated?

My assumption is that there really is nothing new this week...at least so far...I know most normal movies and music are released on Tuesday. Does Apple update its offerings on Tuesday too?

The fear in the back of my mind is that Apple is going to let the 100 HD movies stand for a while without adding to the list. That would be really disheartening.

tfast
Feb 18, 2008, 12:09 PM
Off topic as this is about the itunes store in general and not about HD, but I can never seem to find a full list of movies that are for rent. Am I missing a link somewhere? All I see is the short list and then the most rented list.

ozodesign
Feb 18, 2008, 01:35 PM

Hi Guys, thanks for the feedback.

The reason there is nothing new for this week is because, well, there is nothing new for this week. So far I have found it a bit random when movies are added. Really it's the reason why I came up with the site.

SilentPanda
Feb 18, 2008, 01:44 PM
I believe you are missing some. I noticed over the weekend that Resident Evil: Extinction is in HD but not on the Apple TV HD movie list. You have to pull Resident Evil: Extinction from the normal listing to get to the HD version. You might just have a harder job than you think if Apple doesn't even keep their master list up to date...

ozodesign
Feb 18, 2008, 02:12 PM
I believe you are missing some. I noticed over the weekend that Resident Evil: Extinction is in HD but not on the Apple TV HD movie list. You have to pull Resident Evil: Extinction from the normal listing to get to the HD version. You might just have a harder job than you think if Apple doesn't even keep their master list up to date...

Alrighty then, excuse my french, but that sucks. But I am not deterred. With help from fellow Apple TV users like you I will keep moving forward. Thanks!

MikieMikie
Feb 18, 2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks for your efforts, Eddie. I have bookmarked your page.

Nice look, BTW.

ozodesign
Feb 18, 2008, 02:52 PM
Hi All,

I just wanted to announce a quick update to appletvjunkie.com. We have added new information for each movie title listed including, closed caption info, movie rating and Dolby digital surround sound info. This was based on some initial feedback so please keep the comments coming!

Eddie

illegalprelude
Feb 18, 2008, 02:57 PM
very cool site. So these are just the HD movies?

Any chance for eventually doing regular movies too? (I wish they just offered everything in HD and SD)

skinnylegs
Feb 18, 2008, 02:58 PM
I''ve bookmarked it. I think you're off to a good start.

ozodesign
Feb 18, 2008, 03:19 PM
very cool site. So these are just the HD movies?

Any chance for eventually doing regular movies too? (I wish they just offered everything in HD and SD)

Currently it is just HD. The reason being is that all SD movies are available to see on the iTunes Store through iTunes as we type, but HD movies are only searchable through Apple TV. Eventually I may add SD movies.

Eddie

nutmac
Feb 18, 2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks. I was initially confused as to what DDS meant (eventually guessed it to be Dolby Digital Surround), so you should either provide a legend or use industry standard term (e.g., DD 5.1, AC-3).

roland.g
Feb 18, 2008, 03:53 PM
great idea. But your layout needs work. Hard to read. That is just my opinion. I would start by breaking it down by Genre. Also forget about the rating, audio etc. Again harder to read.

And this might make setup a bit of work, but maintenance wouldn't be so bad afterwards. Do it in a grid layout poster style with the name below, of course as I said by Genre. Posters are easily recognizable.

BoulderBum
Feb 18, 2008, 04:39 PM
I like it. I want more!

A few questions/observations:

1. I think you are trying to use an Apple logo in many places like in front of the words "TV Junkie", but it shows up as an unknown character in Windows. No big deal, but I thought you might want to know.

2. Is there any way you could make an RSS feed for "This Week's Releases". I probably wouldn't have time to read your blog feed, but I'd definately subscribe to a feed that would tell me in a single sentence when a new release hits Apple TV.

3. Have you thought about turning the list into some sort of community-managed Wiki? I bet it's going to get really old trying to maintain a list of all the latest new releases by yourself (and chances are you'll be busy a lot of days so the list might be slightly out-of-date).

ozodesign
Feb 18, 2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks. I was initially confused as to what DDS meant (eventually guessed it to be Dolby Digital Surround), so you should either provide a legend or use industry standard term (e.g., DD 5.1, AC-3).

Your right nutmac. I'll definitely add the legend and something a little more clear as far as the DDS. I supposed it could mean dentist as well.

great idea. But your layout needs work. Hard to read. That is just my opinion. I would start by breaking it down by Genre. Also forget about the rating, audio etc. Again harder to read.

And this might make setup a bit of work, but maintenance wouldn't be so bad afterwards. Do it in a grid layout poster style with the name below, of course as I said by Genre. Posters are easily recognizable.

Roland.g, this is just my initial version of the site. In the coming weeks I will have a design which should help with readability problems. I had to use iWeb to release a say .5 version of what the site will be.

I like it. I want more!

A few questions/observations:

1. I think you are trying to use an Apple logo in many places like in front of the words "TV Junkie", but it shows up as an unknown character in Windows. No big deal, but I thought you might want to know.

2. Is there any way you could make an RSS feed for "This Week's Releases". I probably wouldn't have time to read your blog feed, but I'd definately subscribe to a feed that would tell me in a single sentence when a new release hits Apple TV.

3. Have you thought about turning the list into some sort of community-managed Wiki? I bet it's going to get really old trying to maintain a list of all the latest new releases by yourself (and chances are you'll be busy a lot of days so the list might be slightly out-of-date).

BoulderBum thanks! I want to do more. All your points are very valid, especially #3. Help is good!

drumpat01
Feb 18, 2008, 05:36 PM
a word to the wise...

Apple doesn't usually like people using their product names in website names. So, just kinda keep in mind another name just incase you know?

BoulderBum
Feb 18, 2008, 11:31 PM
a word to the wise...

Apple doesn't usually like people using their product names in website names. So, just kinda keep in mind another name just incase you know?

You mean like "MacRumors"? ;)

ozodesign
Feb 19, 2008, 11:15 AM
Hi All,

I thought I would ask for a little help. I was attempting to post a message over at the macnn forums about the list and I was banned for apparently being spammer:confused:. I guess it doesn't take much. But if anyone feels up to passing the word about the list to our brothers and sisters over at the macnn forums it would be much appreciated. But please don't do anything that might get you banned for life!

BoulderBum
Feb 19, 2008, 02:21 PM
Sweet! I see from your list that we now have Rescue Dawn in HD. That was a pretty good flick, and it's encouraging to see the selection expand.

ozodesign
Feb 20, 2008, 11:06 AM
Hi All,

Just a quick update. A few people have mentioned to me that they have seen certain movies become available in HD then disappear, either in the iTunes Store or Apple TV. What I have discovered is that Apple is adding new HD movies to Apple TV without listing them on their main HD list. I am doing my best to tracking these movies down and add them to the list, but if anyone notices something not on the list, please feel free to contact me. I'm doing the best that I can to keep up, but Apple is not making it easy. Thanks!

ozodesign
Feb 21, 2008, 11:56 PM
Hi All,
We’ve made our first addition today to Apple TV Junkie, our HD Podcast Section. This new page includes the top 10 Favorite HD Podcasts, the Top 10 General Podcasts and the Top 10 New Releases as listed by Apple TV. We are looking to expand our Apple TV offerings in a few different ways, but we thought this would be the best way to easing into it. Enjoy!

skinnylegs
Feb 22, 2008, 07:41 PM
The site is down?

ozodesign
Feb 22, 2008, 11:14 PM
The site isn't down. I have a feeling I know what your issue is. I am still working out the kinks with domain forwarding the to .mac account. You need to make sure to type in the entire url www.appletvjunkie.com.

Just entering appletvjunkie.com without the www throws you to a godaddy page and the site looks down. Hopefully I can figure this out soon.

LouTreize
Feb 22, 2008, 11:50 PM
Awesome stuff Eddie! Best of luck with the website! Thanks for the RSS feed :D

frankiepdx
Feb 23, 2008, 01:08 AM
Nice start. Would love to see it grow. Bookmarked.

FreeState
Feb 23, 2008, 01:12 AM
The site isn't down. I have a feeling I know what your issue is. I am still working out the kinks with domain forwarding the to .mac account. You need to make sure to type in the entire url www.appletvjunkie.com.

Just entering appletvjunkie.com without the www throws you to a godaddy page and the site looks down. Hopefully I can figure this out soon.

Actually for me anyway - I bookmarked your list at this address:

http://www.appletvjunkie.com/appletvjunkie/The_Complete_HD_List.html

But at some point you changed the page URL and the correct link is:

http://www.appletvjunkie.com/appletvjunkie/Apple_TV_HD_Movies.html

Apple gives you a page not found site for anyone that bookmarked your sub-page before you changed it.

bbotte
Feb 23, 2008, 09:15 AM
I would just like to post a Thank you, great idea! How cool I can just look at your site from my iPhone then go on AppleTv and be informed, why Apple tv has the "all HD" and No "new HD Films" selection is beyond me......

Again Thank you.

anonmill
Feb 23, 2008, 10:14 AM
I had a similar problem as Eddie with my .Mac account and a GoDaddy domain name. I sent him a link to an Apple Support thread I referenced to solve the problem. It looks to me like he has it all squared away for now, no need to type out "www" before "appletvjunkies.com". I love the site, I am glad he is doing it.

ozodesign
Feb 23, 2008, 10:16 AM
Actually for me anyway - I bookmarked your list at this address:

http://www.appletvjunkie.com/appletvjunkie/The_Complete_HD_List.html

But at some point you changed the page URL and the correct link is:

http://www.appletvjunkie.com/appletvjunkie/Apple_TV_HD_Movies.html

Apple gives you a page not found site for anyone that bookmarked your sub-page before you changed it.

You are absolutely right! I am sorry about that. An unforseen side effect of changing the page name. I will try and announce any change like this in the future.

If anyone else is having the same issue please note that I have changed the URL path to the movie list page. Sorry for any inconvenience.

APPLENEWBIE
Feb 23, 2008, 10:44 AM
Thank you for developing this nice site. A suggestion... In the left column "New for this week", how about making the most recent addition at the top of the list instead of the bottom. As new movies are added it will save a lot of scrolling down to get to the most recent additions. Thanks.

ozodesign
Feb 23, 2008, 11:57 PM
Thank you for developing this nice site. A suggestion... In the left column "New for this week", how about making the most recent addition at the top of the list instead of the bottom. As new movies are added it will save a lot of scrolling down to get to the most recent additions. Thanks.

Applenewbie, that is a great suggestion, especially as the list grows....crossing fingers that list grows fast! :D

Keep your eyes out for that update.

I'd also like to thank everyone on the forum for their encouragement and feedback. Be on the lookout Monday for a new addition to the site. One that has been requested often.

ozodesign
Feb 25, 2008, 10:49 AM
Hi All,

Just wanted to pass on that we have updated the site to reflect the SD format movies available on Apple TV. Everything is broken down buy genre. When you have a chance stop on by and check it out.

Thanks!

jeremy.king
Feb 27, 2008, 03:41 PM
Eddie, You should add a running total to your site - so whats the official count at?

orccro
Mar 2, 2008, 05:45 PM
Eddie,

any chance you could start listing the 99 cent movie?

--orccro

ozodesign
Mar 2, 2008, 11:17 PM
Eddie,

any chance you could start listing the 99 cent movie?

--orccro

orccro, that is an excellent suggestion. All though when the movie is announced I do post it. I will definitely consider it. Thanks!

ClifDC
Mar 26, 2008, 10:42 PM
What happened to your site? It now requires a password.

ozodesign
Mar 26, 2008, 11:20 PM
What happened to your site? It now requires a password.

Hi All,

Bare with us. We are transitioning to our new design and we are having a few technical difficulties.

Apple TV Junkie

ozodesign
Mar 27, 2008, 09:44 AM
Hi All,

I just wanted to give you an update on our website movie. We are about 90% there. All that is left is for GoDaddy to propagate our cname so that everyone can access the site at www.appletvjunkie.com. For now, if you want to access the site please use appletvjunkie.com......without the www in front.

I want to thank everyone for their patience.