PDA

View Full Version : Need to back up everything on my powerbook

big dainjerus
Feb 18, 2008, 01:44 PM
Hey guys, I am hoping to get a mac pro soon, but for the time being I am still on my powerbook g4, and I am afraid it is getting near its end of days...

I have a lot of photos, video clips, etc etc that I would be very upset if I lost. There is only about 15 GBs left on the HD and I am scared to put anymore information on it because I don't want it to die like my previous ibook did. Can someone explain to me how I can clone, or backup, or whatever, everything on my powerbook onto an external drive? Is it simple, is it possible? Do I just need an external HD and a usb or firewire cable? How long will it take? Any recommendations for external HD?

I feel like I am in a race against time so thanks for any help.

acearchie
Feb 18, 2008, 08:06 PM
Well leopard has time machine!

another programme called Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html) which does exactly what your asking for....

Ofcourse on the other hand you could just wait for your mac pro and firewire the two using migration assitant.

The first 2 require a hard drive of some sort but 3 just requires your mac pro!

big dainjerus
Feb 18, 2008, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the reply. I downloaded carbon copy a few days ago and its just sitting on my desktop. I'm not gonna update to leopard until I start using the Mac Pro.

So all I need to do is get an external HD and then open up carbon copy and I will be able to figure it out from there?