PDA

View Full Version : Expose - and dual monitors?

benipk
Oct 26, 2003, 08:50 PM
Has anyone here got Panther and a computer with dual monitors? Either running a dual-head card or with a secondary PCI videocard. I'm just interested in how expose works - does it scale all windows on both monitors to the menu-bar monitor or what?

alset
Oct 26, 2003, 09:07 PM
I'm under the impression that it scales to one display (the dominant of the two). Check osxhints.com for a screenshot.

Dan

arn
Oct 26, 2003, 09:19 PM
It uses both displays.

Scales windows on each respective display. However... my 2nd screen is not Quartz Extreme enabled so it slows it down a bit.

arn

colinet
Oct 26, 2003, 09:50 PM
Works perfectly on my dual set up - 23inch cinema and 19inch Sony CRT

weotch
Oct 28, 2003, 08:36 PM
colinet, are you using two graphics cards or one with dual outputs? I'm wondering because I have a g5 and am using two cards and expose is sluggish. I'm wondeirng if I should take the second card out and get an ADC-VGA cable.

edesignuk
Oct 28, 2003, 11:15 PM
Works perfectly for me (2x18" LCD's on dual port GF4MX 64MB). Expose treats each display independently.

colinet
Oct 29, 2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by weotch
colinet, are you using two graphics cards or one with dual outputs? I'm wondering because I have a g5 and am using two cards and expose is sluggish. I'm wondeirng if I should take the second card out and get an ADC-VGA cable.

I'm just using the built in card on the
G5 - the cinema display plus my 19inch Sony CRT which uses the adapter that came with the G5 - no need to buy any adapters - unless of course you're using 2 LCDs. It all work fine.

peterjhill
Oct 29, 2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by colinet
no need to buy any adapters - unless of course you're using 2 LCDs. It all work fine.

I believe that the previous poster does not have an apple display, therefore needs to convert the adc port to vga with an appropriate adapter. They are most likely using the dvi connector on the onboard card with the dvi-vga connector, leaving the adc connector empty, then using a pci video card for their second monitor.

TiBook1ghz
Oct 29, 2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by arn
It uses both displays.

Scales windows on each respective display. However... my 2nd screen is not Quartz Extreme enabled so it slows it down a bit.

arn

Just like what arn says, exposť scales down the windows on both displays.

Using a TiBook with a 20" Cinema in a dual display setup. Looks pretty freakin' cool if you have both screens are cluttered.