PDA

View Full Version : 10.3 can't read NTFS drive

friendlyghost
Oct 26, 2003, 09:27 PM
It was my understanding that 10.3 would be able to read drives formatted with NTFS, but I have an external USB 2 drive that it still sees as unformatted.

Any suggestions?

jtown
Oct 26, 2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by friendlyghost
It was my understanding that 10.3 would be able to read drives formatted with NTFS, but I have an external USB 2 drive that it still sees as unformatted.

Any suggestions?

The spec sheet certainly says "Mac OS X also supports the ability to read files from devices that use the NTFS file system."

Have you tried checking the partition for errors and/or recreating the filesystem? Which OS are you using to create the NTFS partition? I understand there are some subtle differences between the versions of NTFS used by NT4, Win2k, and XP.

friendlyghost
Oct 26, 2003, 10:42 PM
The original NTFS partition was created with Windows XP. My windows machine can mount the volume without any problems, but my powerbook cannot sadly.

sparkleytone
Oct 27, 2003, 11:51 AM
are there multiple partitions? is the partition not the first partition on the hard drive? OS X has always had issues recognizing beyond the first partition when it comes to windows formatting.

friendlyghost
Oct 27, 2003, 12:46 PM
it's a single partition. nothing complicated at all.

I'm wondering if apple doesn't support it through a usb interface.

slowtreme
Oct 27, 2003, 01:07 PM
When I plug a USB drive with an NTFS partition, I get a kernal panic and it takes 20 min for my iBook to reboot.