PDA

View Full Version : Dropped my Air - dented. Somewhat repaired.

matthewHUB
Feb 19, 2008, 12:13 AM
Hi all. Was carrying my Air in my messenger bag today and i slipped on the ice and my bag hit the floor. The air was inside a padded bubble envelope, and now the bottom left corner of the screen is bent and sort of folded in. myst have fallen hinge side down. It is rubbing against the bottom casing when i open/close it.

It's within 2 weeks of me purchasing it. Any idea whether i could get it fixed/replaced/repaired? how would i go about doing it?

I would post a pic but i don't know how. Thanks.

M

swiftaw
Feb 19, 2008, 12:19 AM
Apple doesn't cover accidental damage. You can get it repaired but you'll have to pay.

phungy
Feb 19, 2008, 12:20 AM
I'm not sure but you can probably return it and suffer a restocking fee...

kresh
Feb 19, 2008, 12:20 AM
Unless you have insurance I think you are out of luck. Sorry to hear you dinged your new MBA :(

EricNau
Feb 19, 2008, 12:22 AM
Also, if you bought it with a credit card you can check with them to see if they provide any coverage.

matthewHUB
Feb 19, 2008, 12:28 AM
can't i argue that it was due to the fact that there isn't an adequate case on the market that offers sufficient protection? i don't mind paying for it to be changed. but would it be repaired, or changed? i kind of want a new one as the bottom casing is getting scratched, and obviously repairs would cost more to replace th screen housing AND the bottom casing. I bought it in the US with a UK VISA credit card through Lloyds TSB (i'm a student studying in the US).

any ideas how much a repair will be? can i just return it to them and pay the restocking fee even if it's damaged?

shoulin333
Feb 19, 2008, 12:39 AM
they will repair not replace...

kind of like asking if the car dealership will give you a new car because you drove it off the lot, and ran it into a poll 2 weeks later..

kresh
Feb 19, 2008, 12:40 AM
can't i argue that it was due to the fact that there isn't an adequate case on the market that offers sufficient protection?

Are you serious? Do you honestly think that Apple should fix it or replace it? Why is Apple responsible and not the owners of the concrete, the contractors who poured the concrete, or the City Government for not removing the ice.

I mean honestly, it can't in any way be your fault.

Moral relativism and the lack of personal responsability is the down fall of the West. It is a sad thing.

matthewHUB
Feb 19, 2008, 12:44 AM
it's only really noticible under close scrutiny. i mean, a quick open and close and you wouldn't notice. it's only once you look from a birds eye view that you see it's warped on one side. Do you think if i took it to be restocked they'd even notice? Is that really wrong to do?

Are you serious? Do you honestly think that Apple should fix it or replace it? Why is Apple responsible and not the owners of the concrete, the contractors who poured the concrete, or the City Government for not removing the ice.

Moral relativism and the lack of personal responsability is the down fall of the West. It is a sad thing.

NO i don't think they should, for free anyway. but i'd like to get it fixed and i'm wondering what the cheapest way is.

M

mchank
Feb 19, 2008, 12:45 AM
I don't think you can blame the damage on a lack of third party protection. I guess if you were carrying it in the original Apple box from the store, dropped it, and damaged it, you could blame inadequate packaging, but once its unsealed out of the box, Apple's only responsibility is problems due to manufacturing defects. I know how much it sucks to have something awful happen to something brand new; its happened to me before, but accidents happen.

kresh
Feb 19, 2008, 12:46 AM
Is that really wrong to do?

Absolutely, don't you feel it is your fault and not Apple's?

matthewHUB
Feb 19, 2008, 12:47 AM
I don't think you can blame the damage on a lack of third party protection. I guess if you were carrying it in the original Apple box from the store, dropped it, and damaged it, you could blame inadequate packaging, but once its unsealed out of the box, Apple's only responsibility is problems due to manufacturing defects. I know how much it sucks to have something awful happen to something brand new; its happened to me before, but accidents happen.

so what do you think i should do?

mchank
Feb 19, 2008, 01:00 AM
From my experience, Apple will say that the whole screen has to replaced as they don't just fix any part of the screen, just replace, which won't be cheap. You said that it doesn't affect the functionality of the computer in anyway and isn't really noticeable so you'll probably have to just live with it. It'll be hard at first because your eyes will gravitate to that corner and it'll nag you for a few weeks but it'll pass. Or maybe wait a few weeks, check ebay for parts and replace it yourself. Ifixit.com has take apart guides.

matthewHUB
Feb 19, 2008, 01:00 AM
something that's bothered me since i got it is that the screen sort of 'buckles' if you handle it in a certain way. i mean, it's so thin that the aluminum concaves. does this happen to everyone else? maybe i could get it replaced because of that...

LethalWolfe
Feb 19, 2008, 01:06 AM
something that's bothered me since i got it is that the screen sort of 'buckles' if you handle it in a certain way. i mean, it's so thin that the aluminum concaves. does this happen to everyone else? maybe i could get it replaced because of that...
I think the fact that you busted it up pretty much deep sixes your chance of returning it or having Apple do any work on it at no charge. I understand that you're bummed you busted up your new machine, but I think your only options are live w/it or pay for the repair.

Lethal

matthewHUB
Feb 19, 2008, 01:07 AM
I think the fact that you busted it up pretty much deep sixes your chance of returning it or having Apple do any work on it at no charge. I understand that you're bummed you busted up your new machine, but I think your only options are live w/it or pay for the repair.

Lethal

any idea how much it'll cost?

mchank
Feb 19, 2008, 01:12 AM

Anytime you return something Apple made, they're going to take it to the Genius Bar to check it. I exchanged an ipod nano once for a high capacity and even then they took it to the Genius Bar for a check. They will notice the dent and any other complaints you have they'll blame it on that.

LethalWolfe
Feb 19, 2008, 01:13 AM

Not a clue. You'd probably have to take it to an Apple Store so they could see what part(s) would need to get replaced and give you an estimate.

Lethal

Halon X
Feb 19, 2008, 01:13 AM

Are you for real ! ! ! !

Why don't you just accept responsibility for your actions instead of trying to slide one by Apple. There's a word for what you want to do. Actually, I can think of a couple!

ansalmo
Feb 19, 2008, 02:33 AM
Do you not have insurance? I accidentally damaged my laptop a few years ago, and was able to claim full replacement costs through my household insurance.

If you don't have cover then, looking at the list of portable kit in your sig, you might want to consider it for the future.....

hayduke
Feb 19, 2008, 02:58 AM
Apparently the reality distortion field also has some lesser know side effects.

lewisozz
Feb 19, 2008, 04:07 AM
hey if i were you i would inquire about insurance claim for the damage because if it bugging you it will never go away and it the screen of your laptop so that the part you use most !!!!!!!

timsutcliffe
Feb 19, 2008, 04:29 AM
As others have said insurance might be your best bet, it's got to be worth a try at least.

alpinadvl
Feb 19, 2008, 06:23 AM
is everyone as disturbed reading this thread as i am ?

your "best bet" :

sell it on ebay or something - with a clear picture of the "not noticeable" damage - and you should be able to save a few bucks and get a new one - because obviously you dont want a damaged one (i dont completely blame you - especially after the price, and recent ownership)

otherwise have someone "bend it back" send it to colorware or some place like that, and have it custom painted.

drchipinski
Feb 19, 2008, 06:49 AM
File a lawsuit for $54 million....ala Best Buy

dahcheet
Feb 19, 2008, 07:12 AM

Except he's from the UK and studying in the US.

Personal responsibility is the problem with today's generation. No one is willing to take ANY responsibility unless it warrants praise. But that's another discussion for another time.

You busted your laptop. I'm sorry, but it sucks. Apple is in no way liable for your loss. Good luck trying to find a solution that works for you.

arkitect
Feb 19, 2008, 07:15 AM

Except he's from the UK and studying in the US.

Are we missing something here? ;)

Cybergypsy
Feb 19, 2008, 07:19 AM
is everyone as disturbed reading this thread as i am ?

your "best bet" :

sell it on ebay or something - with a clear picture of the "not noticeable" damage - and you should be able to save a few bucks and get a new one - because obviously you dont want a damaged one (i dont completely blame you - especially after the price, and recent ownership)

otherwise have someone "bend it back" send it to colorware or some place like that, and have it custom painted. And i wonder why i never buy a mac off ebay.

matthewHUB
Feb 19, 2008, 07:19 AM
i tried bending it back, but the aluminum is too strong. looks like the only way to do it would be to use pliers, and obviously there's not enough space to get them 'in' either when it's closed or open. can somebody explain how to post pics?

dahcheet
Feb 19, 2008, 07:22 AM
Are we missing something here? ;)

I always assume when people refer to the west they refer to the US only. I keep forgetting how global this forum is. I'm used to forums with people from the US only with the occasional foreigner every now and then.

arkitect
Feb 19, 2008, 07:23 AM
I always assume when people refer to the west they refer to the US only. I keep forgetting how global this forum is. I'm used to forums with people from the US only with the occasional foreigner every now and then.

:D:D I thought so…
But yes, The West is indeed a tad larger and more complex than just the USA…

Cybergypsy
Feb 19, 2008, 07:24 AM
i tried bending it back, but the aluminum is too strong. looks like the only way to do it would be to use pliers, and obviously there's not enough space to get them 'in' either when it's closed or open. can somebody explain how to post pics?leave the pics on you mac start a thread go down to manage attacments and look for the picture....

GoCubsGo
Feb 19, 2008, 07:32 AM
can't i argue that it was due to the fact that there isn't an adequate case on the market that offers sufficient protection?LMFAO!!!

Really now come on. There ARE cases that WILL hold the MBAir and still protect it. While they may not be quite tight enough because of the thickness there are many cases that hold a 13.x" screen notebook. And if that is your argument you may want to put a lid on that lame decision to use a padded envelope as your form of protection. Otherwise you may not have a case. However, maybe you can argue that they showed the Air in an envelope so you foolishly thought that was how Apple recommended you protected it. :rolleyes:

mac jones
Feb 19, 2008, 09:10 AM
In the US Apple will repair just the damaged part of the screen on a 15 " (early model) MBP for between $200 and $400.

I took mine in to get a dent on the screen cover fixed.

approx $200 was a quote I got (haven't had it done yet)

alpinadvl
Feb 19, 2008, 09:39 AM
And i wonder why i never buy a mac off ebay.

maybe you misunderstood my statement :

I mean to show a detailed picture of where the damage on his MBA - which he claims is "not noticeable" so that a buyer will clearly see what he is buying.

In other news..... this thread now in "Beating a Dead Horse" Fame award !

barijazz
Feb 19, 2008, 09:45 AM
Go to the apple store and ask someone about it. Ask them what the estimated cost would be. And if you want to try to return it go to another apple store. If you are a student and you work off your computer you need it fixed.

netdog
Feb 19, 2008, 09:48 AM
If you can't return it, you can pay Apple or an Apple tech to fix it. IMO, it would be worth it. Such a beautiful machine. You must be gutted. Once you get over the shock, just get it fixed and she'll be as beautiful as ever.

cedar
Feb 19, 2008, 09:48 AM
My daughter broke the screen of her touch ipod. She told me Apple would replace it. lol. She's 15, so that tells you something. Apple did give her a new one to replace it, but for half the cost of a new one. I thought it was a good deal anyway.

dbell
Feb 19, 2008, 09:56 AM
Package it back up, go to Office Depot and use their shrink wrap machine to seal it back up, then return it telling them it's a gift you don't want. Problem solved (well not really, it'll be some other schmucks problem). :p

michaelsviews
Feb 19, 2008, 10:12 AM
can't i argue that it was due to the fact that there isn't an adequate case on the market that offers sufficient protection? i don't mind paying for it to be changed. but would it be repaired, or changed? i kind of want a new one as the bottom casing is getting scratched, and obviously repairs would cost more to replace th screen housing AND the bottom casing. I bought it in the US with a UK VISA credit card through Lloyds TSB (i'm a student studying in the US).

any ideas how much a repair will be? can i just return it to them and pay the restocking fee even if it's damaged?

Dude
You never heard of Best Buy , Circuit City, or an Apple store? And if you have heard of them you could not find a case that would fit ?

I'll give you 800 dollars for it, its damaged, and I know I can fix it or have it fixed for a very reasonable cost.

kresh
Feb 19, 2008, 10:14 AM
:D:D I thought so…
But yes, The West is indeed a tad larger and more complex than just the USA…

Sorry, I should have been more clear. When I think of the "West", I always think more of the western European culture, and the North American derivatives, as a whole.

Although that's starting to not be so true any more with the culture shift going on in Europe.

My appologies to the OP for hijacking his thread into this discussion.

saltyzoo
Feb 19, 2008, 10:19 AM

You are sooo wrong.

It's Newton's fault for discovering gravity.

Bobioden
Feb 19, 2008, 10:21 AM
it's only really noticible under close scrutiny. i mean, a quick open and close and you wouldn't notice. it's only once you look from a birds eye view that you see it's warped on one side. Do you think if i took it to be restocked they'd even notice? Is that really wrong to do?

You weren't serious when you asked this question were you?

Package it back up, go to Office Depot and use their shrink wrap machine to seal it back up, then return it telling them it's a gift you don't want. Problem solved (well not really, it'll be some other schmucks problem). :p

Are you and the OP related?

clayj
Feb 19, 2008, 10:36 AM
Package it back up, go to Office Depot and use their shrink wrap machine to seal it back up, then return it telling them it's a gift you don't want. Problem solved (well not really, it'll be some other schmucks problem). :pDude, weak.

To the OP: Sorry, but that's life. 7 years ago, I bought a new Sony laptop, but I didn't have a case for it right away. I put the laptop in my backpack and, while I was in Seattle, at some point I threw my keys in the same compartment, forgetting that the laptop was also in there. Result: A giant one-inch deep scratch on my laptop's case. I tried all sorts of stuff to repair it (nail polish, etc.), but nothing worked. Finally, I just got a replacement case and installed it myself. I had the scratched case painted, which not only hid the scratch but also turned the laptop into a work of art (you can see it here: http://www.clayj.com/html/BRVAIOBoy.htm ).

But if your MBA is still working OK, I think you're gonna just have to live with it, or sell it at a discount to someone who doesn't care about the dent.

jeremy.king
Feb 19, 2008, 10:50 AM
eBay it and buy a new one.

Father Jack
Feb 19, 2008, 10:54 AM
Man or mouse? Honesty is the best policy.

benfeibleman
Feb 19, 2008, 11:03 AM
Also, if you bought it with a credit card you can check with them to see if they provide any coverage.

Best Buy offers a protection plan that costs maybe 50-150 dollars more, depending on the price of the product, than AppleCare, but covers everything... including accidents like throwing it from a moving vehicle or dropping it in the bathtub because you are an idiot.I think it's worth the peace of mind, since I buy applecare always.

Joko
Feb 19, 2008, 11:10 AM
You are sooo wrong.

It's Newton's fault for discovering gravity.

You're close, it's actually Newtons mother.

Father Jack
Feb 19, 2008, 11:12 AM
Was she holding the apple when it fell from the tree .. :confused:
Sorry I couldn't resist .. :o:o

matthewHUB
Feb 19, 2008, 11:37 AM
ok thanks all for your support. SO... turns out it IS insured through home insurance.

However, i'm not sure whether to go ahead and get it repaired/replaced and do the insurance retroactively (as i need it ASAP for traveling), or wait till the paperwork gets sorted then do it. Also, the insurance company mentioned something bout sending the machine to them first, then presumably they send it to whoever. Do you think i can get it repaired and send them an invoice?

I'll try and post some pics later on. It's really not as bad as it sounds, but more that it's a completely new machine that is now flawed. What do you think the chances of apple swapping it out, with a restocking fee or something? It seems a very simple job to fix. just the screen casing on the bottom corner is bent so no damage to the screen itself.

ALso, do you think the store has spare parts yet? they said they could fix it there and then if they had a spare casing.

Cybergypsy
Feb 19, 2008, 11:54 AM
ok thanks all for your support. SO... turns out it IS insured through home insurance.

However, i'm not sure whether to go ahead and get it repaired/replaced and do the insurance retroactively (as i need it ASAP for traveling), or wait till the paperwork gets sorted then do it. Also, the insurance company mentioned something bout sending the machine to them first, then presumably they send it to whoever. Do you think i can get it repaired and send them an invoice?

I'll try and post some pics later on. It's really not as bad as it sounds, but more that it's a completely new machine that is now flawed. What do you think the chances of apple swapping it out, with a restocking fee or something? It seems a very simple job to fix. just the screen casing on the bottom corner is bent so no damage to the screen itself.

ALso, do you think the store has spare parts yet? they said they could fix it there and then if they had a spare casing.

really you dropped it use it and move on, you said it was not that bad soon another rev will be out and you will sell it and get a new one....dont see the problem:)

mashoutposse
Feb 19, 2008, 01:32 PM
Take it to your local Apple Store and be straight up with them. Let them give you your options before the 14-day return period elapses. They might just take it back.

brad.c
Feb 19, 2008, 01:44 PM
You're close, it's actually Newtons mother.

Think she dropped him?

OP: Do you have Applecare protection registered for it? If so, then you should take it in to Apple (or appropriately authorised mechanic) and PAY for the repairs, just to protect that warranty investment. Otherwise, any current and future issue will be blamed on the drop.

Here's a question for other "Droppers" out there: if you pay for the repair, and it comes out with a clean bill of health, will any future issues still be blamed on that one fall?

matthewHUB
Feb 19, 2008, 02:14 PM
Think she dropped him?

OP: Do you have Applecare protection registered for it? If so, then you should take it in to Apple (or appropriately authorised mechanic) and PAY for the repairs, just to protect that warranty investment. Otherwise, any current and future issue will be blamed on the drop.

Here's a question for other "Droppers" out there: if you pay for the repair, and it comes out with a clean bill of health, will any future issues still be blamed on that one fall?

no I didn't get AppleCare as guy said I have a while to decide. I'm going to the store in an hour to see whether they can do anything

M

lewisozz
Feb 19, 2008, 02:25 PM

The MBA comes with a sticker that says if you break this seal you have opened this product and this product is unwrapped and you cannot be returned as a sealed product :mad::mad::mad:

saltyzoo
Feb 19, 2008, 02:31 PM
The MBA comes with a sticker that says if you break this seal you have opened this product and this product is unwrapped and you cannot be returned as a sealed product :mad::mad::mad:

You're kidding? If you break the seal you can't return it as a sealed product? Those bastards!

Seriously though, if it's so minor you think you can pass it off without someone noticing, suck it up and live with it. It must not be that bad. And if it is, then shame on you.

me_94501
Feb 19, 2008, 02:46 PM
no I didn't get AppleCare as guy said I have a while to decide. I'm going to the store in an hour to see whether they can do anything

M

Still, binky's point stands. You have one year of hardware support automatically, and if something goes wrong during that one year, Apple can still point to that ding and attribute any future problem to it, and deny warranty coverage for a problem. I've seen that happen to people.

As for AppleCare, I'd say get if for any Mac lappy you buy. It's saved my butt a few times.

marykay9507
Feb 19, 2008, 02:51 PM

wow...that's a pretty bad attitude-- i just have one word KARMA

also, i don't think apple uses shrink wrap on the air then again, i have never seen one all packaged up.

matthewHUB
Feb 19, 2008, 03:00 PM
You're kidding? If you break the seal you can't return it as a sealed product? Those bastards!

Seriously though, if it's so minor you think you can pass it off without someone noticing, suck it up and live with it. It must not be that bad. And if it is, then shame on you.

well it's minor in that it doesn't affect functionality except for scratching at the bottom of the case. But it's a 3k machine less than 2 weeks old and it's already banged up.

You're right about attributing other probs to this incident. We'll see what they say when I go.

dahcheet
Feb 19, 2008, 03:11 PM
well it's minor in that it doesn't affect functionality except for scratching at the bottom of the case. But it's a 3k machine less than 2 weeks old and it's already banged up.

You're right about attributing other probs to this incident. We'll see what they say when I go.

You're still looking at this from the completely wrong perspective. It's a minor physical flaw that has NO effect (so far) on the usage.

Yes, it's an expensive piece of equipment that is brand new and is not banged up, but it's still your fault for it happening. YOU should have taken precautions to protect it. YOU have possession and are responsible for it. Apple shouldn't have to do anything for you unless you pay them.

I hope they can help you and I hope you don't screw them or anyone else over.

saltyzoo
Feb 19, 2008, 03:24 PM
You caused the damage, you either have to live with it or pay to have it fixed. Or you can con someone into it which means everyone else will have to pay for it if they ever need work done. There's no "Air-fairy" that will magically fix it without someone having to pay for it.

iSee
Feb 19, 2008, 04:05 PM

Get the estimate to repair first. Then call up the insurance company adjustor and make sure it's OK with them. In general, they want to assess the damage of whatever they are covering themselves and then pay you what they consider to be reasonable. However, since there is a standard provider for fixing Apple computers, there's not a lot of doubt as to how much the fix costs. How can they argue with Apple's estimate?

brasscat
Feb 19, 2008, 04:08 PM
I wonder why you're asking MacRumors about this. Talk to Apple and review your options with them.

roland.g
Feb 19, 2008, 04:18 PM
Really your complete lack of responsibility is totally absurd. You have how many expensive Apple products listed in your sig. You have a 12" PB and REALLY need the MBA for travelling??. You want what you don't deserve. You expect the Apple Store to have spare parts? Come out of the biodome and live in the real world. You bought and busted a $3k computer without taking care of it.

Consultant
Feb 19, 2008, 04:18 PM

Um, here is a case that will probably protect it. They used to not have the corny cuts / slow motion / effects and show MBP in the bag dropped a few times.
http://www.brenthaven.com/video-all-products-cust.html

roland.g
Feb 19, 2008, 04:52 PM
Providing adequate protection for just your sort of mishap...

http://www.radtech.us/Products/MacTruck.aspx

http://www.starcase.com/oemaluminumcaseshop.htm

http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/300/TB0300

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/13-hardshell-case-cl57119

http://www.caseclub.com/alum_laptop.htm

http://www.matias.ca/laptoparmor/index.php

http://www.nextag.com/aluminum-notebook/search-html

http://www.laptopical.com/aluminum-case.html

ob81
Feb 19, 2008, 05:57 PM

Er. May not be worth it to file under your Home Insurance policy. Yeah sure, you win now, but when that next installment is due, your premium goes up.

cowpaintings
Feb 19, 2008, 06:28 PM
You forgot the part where you call your insurance company and ask them if they cover prescriptions for Neurosis. And when you wake up tomorrow, don't try to rip anyone off just because you made a mistake you can't cope with. Your bent macbook is apple's fault because there's not an appropriate case for it? This singlehandedly has to be the dumbest thing I've heard all week. If you won a million dollars you'd probably complain about the taxes.

johnkountz
Feb 19, 2008, 07:10 PM
Dropped my MBP once, it flew out of my backpack when I was hoisting it out of the car. Totally my fault, failed to zip the backpack closed properly. Damaged case left corner, computer still works - using to post this reply.

Apple store quoted $600 to replace the case. Decided to live with it, glad I did as long & short of it was the computer still works fine, chicks love the battle scars ;)

oban14
Feb 19, 2008, 07:55 PM
so what do you think i should do?

Based on how minimal the damage is, you could probably return it and get hit for the restocking fee. That would probably be cheaper than any kind of repair, but it's hardly ethical.

Also, laptops get banged up. I don't care how careful you are, unless it stays docked and doesn't leave your desk (who does that?) it's bound to get similar scratches/dings over time.

mac-er
Feb 19, 2008, 08:39 PM
I would be very careful about filing something like that through your homeowner's insurance.

They can use that as an excuse to raise your rates or even cancel your insurance (yes, even for a insignificant thing like that)

cedar
Feb 19, 2008, 08:48 PM
I would be very careful about filing something like that through your homeowner's insurance.

They can use that as an excuse to raise your rates or even cancel your insurance (yes, even for a insignificant thing like that)

Right on spot there. Plus you usually have a deductible.

kresh
Feb 19, 2008, 09:10 PM
I am beginning to think the OP is up to something. He keeps repeatedly asking if it is ok to do something that the normal person would think is wrong.

He mentioned he is a student, I wonder if this is a covert attempt to survey people's morals, or some such, as a school project.

-OR-

He really does have personal responsbility issues.

matthewHUB
Feb 20, 2008, 05:43 PM
OK so i went to the store and they helped me bend the top case back into shape so it didn't scratch the bottom case. There are no parts available as yet.

The top casing needs replacing, not the whole screen, however they only order complete new LCDs so it'll cost $800 to replace. The guy said if i wait a couple of weeks and pick up a top aluminum shell from somewhere that will sell it separately, they will install it for $85, or i can do it myself. Thankfully the LCD is undamaged.

So i'm happy. they were helpful bending it back, even though they made more damage to the top casing in the process of bending. The guy was huge and he had trouble bending it. We were both amazed at how tough it was to bend.

Meanwhile, functionality is not affected. The situation was incredibly lucky for me as i'm a musician, and i happened to be carrying my priceless fine italian cello, made in 1685, which also went flying with the fall... luckily it was unscathed thanks to the most expensive carbon fiber case on the market. I guess coming out of it with a damaged macbook air was the least of my worries.

M

MrT8064
Feb 20, 2008, 05:55 PM
Meanwhile, functionality is not affected. The situation was incredibly lucky for me as i'm a musician, and i happened to be carrying my priceless fine italian cello, made in 1685, which also went flying with the fall... luckily it was unscathed thanks to the most expensive carbon fiber case on the market. I guess coming out of it with a damaged macbook air was the least of my worries.

M

Cool! glad to hear your cello was ok!

if you bought the topcase seperatly that might be a good plan,

i had my macbook pro top case replaced, and it was priced at the (rip off) £135

Cybergypsy
Feb 20, 2008, 06:19 PM
ahhhhhh music to my ears.........

Mr.PS
Feb 21, 2008, 11:43 PM
Get it fixed or lie/cheat/steal to return it. I'd try to return it - I don't have morals like that. I had a new Dell E1405 that got scratched the 2nd I owned it, I ordered a new top lid for $46 and replaced it.

There is no way i'd live with a dented $3,xxx computer. NO WAY! Get it fixed, or return it in some way.

Spritey
Feb 21, 2008, 11:58 PM
Hi all. Was carrying my Air in my messenger bag today and i slipped on the ice and my bag hit the floor. The air was inside a padded bubble envelope, and now the bottom left corner of the screen is bent and sort of folded in. myst have fallen hinge side down. It is rubbing against the bottom casing when i open/close it.

It's within 2 weeks of me purchasing it. Any idea whether i could get it fixed/replaced/repaired? how would i go about doing it?

I would post a pic but i don't know how. Thanks.

M

Hope you have travel insurance, because that will cover it unless you have a sucky company.

My brother, who just recently purchased my MBP since I'm waiting for the new one (still...), fell on the ice over Christmas. He had his MBP in a backpack, in a protective case, but he fell flat on his back right on top of the MBP. Since he's over 2m tall, and not one of the really skinny-tall people, imagine what would do to the poor MBP...

Had to replace the screen, but that's the most expensive part so that was $1700. But everything was covered by travel insurance, because he was 'traveling' home from his friend's house.

Whenever you leave the house you're covered, so use travel insurance for what it's worth!

Gasu E.
Feb 22, 2008, 01:47 PM
ok thanks all for your support. SO... turns out it IS insured through home insurance. .

Glad it's working out for you. I read your request as that of someone who had a spot of bad luck looking for some helpful advice. And I, for one, do not welcome our new morally superior lecturing warlords.

On the other hand, when I hear "The West", I assume people are talking about 6th Avenue or higher.

Tatyanita
Mar 17, 2009, 06:05 PM

When I watered a screen of my Mac and it get dark but rest parts were work fine thay replace it for $700 :(

Fonzijr1964
Mar 17, 2009, 06:29 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=663982

mshaf
Mar 17, 2009, 09:26 PM
http://www.macservice.com/macbookair.html

They repair cases!

EnderTW
Mar 18, 2009, 11:51 PM
Just take it in. I have done it before, had a huge dent on the middle of the laptop. I told them it was bought like this. They looked at me funny.

Bottom line, it doesn't hurt to try. Remember customer is always right. Escalate if need be. If it doesn't work out? oh well. What did you lose?

normen01
Jul 21, 2014, 08:11 PM
jeez you guys are telling too much how it is his fault. he was asking multiply times how much it would cost and because you guys didnt know. you focus on saying it is his fault just to have something to say. =_=

flowrider
Jul 21, 2014, 08:30 PM
^^^^Do you realize you are responding to a thread that is over FIVE years old?

Lou

Newtons Apple
Jul 22, 2014, 07:19 AM
very old thread but a good one!