Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
good buy! these have similar freq. response as the er4p, which are pretty good IEMs (not as good as the er4s, IMO). i don't like the stems sticking out so much, but i probably would have gone for these had i not had a pair of damaged er6i that got second life by sending them in to ultimate buds to hybridize with the iphone earbuds/mic.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
good buy! these have similar freq. response as the er4p, which are pretty good IEMs (not as good as the er4s, IMO). i don't like the stems sticking out so much, but i probably would have gone for these had i not had a pair of damaged er6i that got second life by sending them in to ultimate buds to hybridize with the iphone earbuds/mic.

Yes, a very very good buy. The OP won't be disappointed with these.

However, I challenge the claim that the ER-4s are superior to the ER-4p. The ER-4p has the benefit of being able to being able to adapt to the ER-4s using a special connector and without this they have all the same features except enhanced bass response and higher sound output. Whilst the ER-4s have better response accuracy, the ER-4p use a small cable to convert them to ER-4s. I would say that makes the ER-4p the best 'all-round' performer.

My only real dislike is also the length of the stems, but once these earphones are in your ear, you can barley feel their presence.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
Yes, a very very good buy. The OP won't be disappointed with these.

However, I challenge the claim that the ER-4s are superior to the ER-4p. The ER-4p has the benefit of being able to being able to adapt to the ER-4s using a special connector and without this they have all the same features except enhanced bass response and higher sound output. Whilst the ER-4s have better response accuracy, the ER-4p use a small cable to convert them to ER-4s. I would say that makes the ER-4p the best 'all-round' performer.

My only real dislike is also the length of the stems, but once these earphones are in your ear, you can barley feel their presence.
sure, the er4p with the p->s adapter is the better buy, but the er4s is still superior soundwise to the er4p, whether it's just the er4s or the er4p with the p->s adapter on. the utility of the er4p is that it can be used out of the ipod and still sound good. the er4s really needs a dedicated headphone amp to sound its best.

chaoticprout

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
BTW: My hf2's come in tomorrow, so impressions later in the day probably. As for the "backorder" thing, I put myself on the waiting list 2 days after MacWorld (I somehow missed them at the Moscone center when I was there) and got contacted 3 weeks later saying they got a small shipment in asking if I wanted one.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
BTW: My hf2's come in tomorrow, so impressions later in the day probably. As for the "backorder" thing, I put myself on the waiting list 2 days after MacWorld (I somehow missed them at the Moscone center when I was there) and got contacted 3 weeks later saying they got a small shipment in asking if I wanted one.

Nice. Looking forward to your views. :)

chaoticprout

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Holy crap: 3 major awesomes and 1 minor meh.

First the meh: The stem is a 'tiny' bit long, but i'm definetly going to get used to it.

Awesomes: Mics and headset sound amazing to me and friends and is in a great spot
Noise isolation is seriously dumbfoundingly amazing. I didn't realize how great the isolation was.
Finally: Sound quality is freaking awesome and clear. I love these. :D:D
Any questions?

benjones

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
Wow they sound pretty good then?

I've been debating about these for a while now. Can't decide between these, the Sure SE530s or Q-Jays.

Have you ever used any IEMs before to compare to?

chaoticprout

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
It's a bit low on bass, so if you're a bass whore I dunno. But I've used my friends $120 shure IEM (no idea on the model) and I prefer the hf2.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
First the meh: The stem is a 'tiny' bit long, but i'm definetly going to get used to it.

Awesome: isolation is seriously dumbfoundingly amazing. I didn't realize how great the isolation was.

Meh-wise: Stem? What do you mean by 'stem'?

Awesome-wise: How do you think the isolation would compare to the Ultimate Buds Etymotic/Apple iPhone Headset mash-up? Similarly with your other awesomes...

Thanks! :)

chaoticprout

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Well, the ER4p is better than the ER6, and you get a 1 year warranty with the hf2s from ety, on top of having an AWESOME mic (yes, awesome), hf2's are easily worth the extra cash.

By stem I mean the length of the triple flange tips. I cut mine down a bit and now they are perfect. These canalphones are too good sometimes, my friend was talking to me in the car and apparently I missed something important because of how great these are.

deccoo

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2008
London, UK
Etymotic in the UK?

Has anyone actually bought a pair of these in the UK? None of the sellers listed on the Etymotic site have them in stock and can't seem to find anywhere online in the UK that sells them?

Has anyone in the UK ordered them direct from Etymotic? If so, what was the shipping and duty on them?

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
Has anyone actually bought a pair of these in the UK? None of the sellers listed on the Etymotic site have them in stock and can't seem to find anywhere online in the UK that sells them?

Has anyone in the UK ordered them direct from Etymotic? If so, what was the shipping and duty on them?
Originally I placed an order here:

http://www.pjbox.co.uk/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=442

Very nice guy runs the company and will be able to update you over the phone about stock expectation.

Eventually, I didn't wait for him to get stock because, having registered earlier with Etymotic directly, I got an email from them offering me 20% off. The order details were as follows:

Order Details:
Quantity Number Description UnitPrice TotalPrice
1 ER23-HF2 hf2 Headset + Earphones $143.20 $143.20

Sub Total: $143.20
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $20.00
Grand Total: $163.20

Discount Code: CP429hf2

That was about £85, and then I had to pay about £20 in vat and handling charges at this end. Overall I saved on the RRP over here and I got them before anyone had them in stock.

You can order directly from the manufacturer using the following link, but unfortunately the discount code has now expired.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/hf2.aspx

deccoo

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2008
London, UK
Originally I placed an order here:

http://www.pjbox.co.uk/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=442

Very nice guy runs the company and will be able to update you over the phone about stock expectation.

Eventually, I didn't wait for him to get stock because, having registered earlier with Etymotic directly, I got an email from them offering me 20% off. The order details were as follows:

Order Details:
Quantity Number Description UnitPrice TotalPrice
1 ER23-HF2 hf2 Headset + Earphones $143.20 $143.20

Sub Total: $143.20
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $20.00
Grand Total: $163.20

Discount Code: CP429hf2

That was about £85, and then I had to pay about £20 in vat and handling charges at this end. Overall I saved on the RRP over here and I got them before anyone had them in stock.

You can order directly from the manufacturer using the following link, but unfortunately the discount code has now expired.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/hf2.aspx

Thanks for reply

I got an email from the lovely Roy at PJBox but unfortunately they aren't going to have them in stock for another month and will £120!

Will have a shuftey on Google to see if I can track down another discount code. Anyone know of any valid ones?

I had a pair of er6i and were honestly the best buds I have ever used. Hoping the hf2s are going to take that accolade!

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
By stem I mean the length of the triple flange tips. I cut mine down a bit and now they are perfect. These canalphones are too good sometimes, my friend was talking to me in the car and apparently I missed something important because of how great these are.

Wait...

You can just cut the stems off? Seems strange.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
They're not THAT special. The highs are very pronounced with little to no lows to compensate. Great for classical. Awful for anything with bass; rap, jazz, even some heavy metal.

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
They're not THAT special. The highs are very pronounced with little to no lows to compensate. Great for classical. Awful for anything with bass; rap, jazz, even some heavy metal.

Could you recommend a good iPhone 3G pair then? I would like to have the Mic also without some adapter.

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
I'm wondering if one of y'all who owns these Etymotic hf2s might be willing to bust out a ruler and measure them from tip to tip.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.

People who complain of a lack of base usually aren't using them in accordance with the instructions. They have to be inserted far enough to create a proper seal. If you do that, the bass response will be accurate.

They are excellent! :)

HaroldC

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2006
People who complain of a lack of base usually aren't using them in accordance with the instructions. They have to be inserted far enough to create a proper seal. If you do that, the bass responce will be accurate.

They are excellent! :)

Etymotics have always been known to be 'lacking' in bass. Their popularity is that they are amongst the most accurate IEM (In Ear Monitors) on the market. Very analytical sounding, exposing every detail very clearly.

There are other IEMs that do a better job in the bass area, but there are some trade offs with the detail.

I am constantly looking for some 'fun' IEMs, that are musical and have plenty of bass. It's a hobby that is dangerous on your wallet, not unlike the tech hobby that I also have (addiction is probably more accurate). Currently my favorites are the Atrio M5/M8, but unfortunately they don't have a mic. That's ok though, I just hold my phone with the mic pointed towards me, as I don't talk that much when I'm listening to music. I've had Etymotics, Shures, and Ultimate Ears, and now the Atrios. Maybe someday I'll take the plunge for customs......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.