Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
Etymotics have always been known to be 'lacking' in bass. Their popularity is that they are amongst the most accurate IEM (In Ear Monitors) on the market. Very analytical sounding, exposing every detail very clearly.

There are other IEMs that do a better job in the bass area, but there are some trade offs with the detail.

Personally, it is detail and accuracy that I look for, not artificially 'enhanced' bass.

Long live 'fidelity' I say! :)

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
People who complain of a lack of base usually aren't using them in accordance with the instructions. They have to be inserted far enough to create a proper seal. If you do that, the bass response will be accurate.

They are excellent! :)

I'm a longtime member on head-fi.org. I even customized them with Shure Olives and achieved a perfect seal. My current favorite is the Westone UM2. Although I am waiting to receive the ear kit forsome SuperFreqs so as to have the ability to play and skip tracks.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
I'm a longtime member on head-fi.org. I even customized them with Shure Olives and achieved a perfect seal. My current favorite is the Westone UM2. Although I am waiting to receive the ear kit forsome SuperFreqs so as to have the ability to play and skip tracks.

Interesting stuff. Where can I get some Shure Olives? They sound like just the job for comfort. Do they look like the tips on these? Do they fit the Etymotic hf2 without any modification?

Attachments

• 310_small.jpg
    310_small.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,173

enklined

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Earth
I've had Etymotics, Shures, and Ultimate Ears, and now the Atrios. Maybe someday I'll take the plunge for customs......

I'm interested in your review of your UE IEMs. Were they the Super Fi vi4 flavor?

Also, does anyone know if the Super Fi Vi4's can utilize the Shure Olives?

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Yes, a very very good buy. The OP won't be disappointed with these.

However, I challenge the claim that the ER-4s are superior to the ER-4p. The ER-4p has the benefit of being able to being able to adapt to the ER-4s using a special connector and without this they have all the same features except enhanced bass response and higher sound output. Whilst the ER-4s have better response accuracy, the ER-4p use a small cable to convert them to ER-4s. I would say that makes the ER-4p the best 'all-round' performer.

My only real dislike is also the length of the stems, but once these earphones are in your ear, you can barley feel their presence.

Yeah. The ER-4s's only really worthwhile if you're willing and able to carry around a separate headphone amp, which is kind of counter-productive for portable setups IMO.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Thanks for that, I think I might get some.

Do they fit the Etymotic hf2 without any modification?

I'm interested in your review of your UE IEMs. Were they the Super Fi vi4 flavor?

Also, does anyone know if the Super Fi Vi4's can utilize the Shure Olives?

Earphonesolutions.com has tremendous customer service. The Olives will work with HF2. Try them on the UE's and return them if they don't work. Actually, let me see if I can find some extras and maybe send them to ya.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.