PDA

View Full Version : Install never asked for Disc 3

JonasLoaf
Oct 26, 2003, 11:29 PM
I did a clean install and it never prompted me to insert disc 3. Is there a reason for this? Also, Panther is running great, but I just noticed that I don't have a copy of AppleWorks. I use Word, but still seems really strange... Any ideas?

jamesatzones
Oct 26, 2003, 11:35 PM
It didn't require it for me either, I think it contains stuff like additional fonts and language settings that normal Mac users would never use from different languages. Where as I never would need Japanese I have visited sites sites that would require those fonts that is why Apple automatically installs them.

pbooktebo
Oct 26, 2003, 11:40 PM
X11 is on disc 3. This is a UNIX app a bit like terminal, but for displaying apps that use graphical interfaces (like Open Office).

There may also be more on disc 3, but I know X11 is there (and it's not too large an install, so for those who might want it, go ahead and do it).

I chose to have this installed using the "Archive and Install" option, under the "Applications" option.

Best,

Matt

Note- I've you've already installed Panther, you can always download Apple's latest X11 version from their website

evoluzione
Oct 28, 2003, 09:35 PM
the additional epson printer drivers are also on disc 3, if you don't select them when installing, it won't need d3

Powerbook G5
Oct 28, 2003, 10:11 PM
Yeah, I installed X11 and the additional Epson drivers from disc 3 since I have an older Epson that doesn't have OS X drivers anywhere on the website or with the driver CD so I had to install it from the Panther disc itself. As far as AppleWorks not being installed, if it was a part of your original software bundle, you will have to put in your old restore CD to reinstall it since you did a clean install.