PDA

View Full Version : Can I use any external CD/DVD drive for my MBA??

vakej
Feb 19, 2008, 12:34 PM
Hello:

I live in Chicago and NYC and NO apple store has the external super drive in stock...no joke. :eek:

I purchased an external cd drive from Target and my MBA couldn't read it (it could be an issue with the drive...who knows).

So my question is, should any external CD/DVD drive work for my MBA, or do I need the apple super drive??

Thx,
V

tMac85
Feb 19, 2008, 12:38 PM
im gonna say apples.

TEG
Feb 19, 2008, 12:38 PM
Nearly any external drive should work. I have a $49 20x SuperDrive-DL that I got from Best Buy, and if it works for me, it should work for you.

TEG

Eidorian
Feb 19, 2008, 12:40 PM
Make sure you have an AC adapter. You only have one port on the MacBook Air.

kyleen66
Feb 20, 2008, 07:34 AM
I used my Mom's Sony DVD burner that was USB. Worked great.

Of course, it did have it's own power source.

gsmumbo
Feb 20, 2008, 12:13 PM
I am using a DVD burner from my compaq desktop in a hard drive enclosure and it works perfectly.

vakej
Feb 20, 2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks everyone for responding. Later in the afternoon the apple store received a shipment, which included the external super drive. I picked one up and it works perfectly! ;)

davidstechshow
Jul 31, 2008, 05:43 AM
Any cd drive should work but you could probably find the apple superdrive at best buy, you can here in boise, id so i could imagine you could there

:cool::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::cool:

EspressoLove
Jul 31, 2008, 07:46 AM
:cool::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::cool:

Are we going to learn to read more than just OP, and probably thread's dates?