PDA

View Full Version : Can Macs still be turned on via keyboard?

c073186
Feb 22, 2008, 07:50 AM
I remember back, long, long ago in the elementary school days when we had the colored Macs - you turned them on by pressing spacebar. Now I would actually like that with my Mac Pro so that I don't have to bend over to turn it on. Does this option still exist in Mac OS?

dukeblue91
Feb 22, 2008, 08:21 AM
I remember back, long, long ago in the elementary school days when we had the colored Macs - you turned them on by pressing spacebar. Now I would actually like that with my Mac Pro so that I don't have to bend over to turn it on. Does this option still exist in Mac OS?

That wasn't really turning them on " Powering Up " but bringing them out of sleep mode and yes that's still available.

c073186
Feb 22, 2008, 08:25 AM
That wasn't really turning them on " Powering Up " but bringing them out of sleep mode and yes that's still available.

So if I shut my computer down, then it cannot be turned on by keyboard, right? I know that the keyboard brings it out of sleep mode.

dukeblue91
Feb 22, 2008, 08:27 AM
So if I shut my computer down, then it cannot be turned on by keyboard, right? I know that the keyboard brings it out of sleep mode.

Correct!

Ovistavin
Feb 22, 2008, 09:02 AM
I miss that button as well, but I haven't seen a power button on a keyboard since I had my PowerMac 6500.

MikeL
Feb 22, 2008, 10:08 AM

You're incorrect. ADB Macs had power keys on the keyboard. Want to power one up? Push the key.

Early USB Macs had this, too. Apple went outside the USB spec to do it, however. The early iMacs the OP is remembering were in this group of Macs. Eventually Apple conformed to the USB spec and removed this feature.

It came back for a bit in a different form, on the ADC Macs. You could touch the power button on the monitor and turn on the Mac. Once ADC went away, the last "remote" power buttons were gone, too.

It's too bad. It was nice.

Kosh66
Feb 22, 2008, 10:22 AM
You're incorrect. ADB Macs had power keys on the keyboard. Want to power one up? Push the key.

The power key wasn't the Space Bar as the OP pointed to. The power key was a separate key on the upper right.

If the user was pressing the Space Bar, that was to wake up the computer.

tuxtpenguin
Feb 22, 2008, 10:27 AM
I miss the days of the power button on the keyboard.

aaronw1986
Feb 22, 2008, 11:24 AM
I miss the days of the power button on the keyboard.
They had them on the colored iMacs, last time I remember seeing them.

iHerzeleid
Feb 22, 2008, 11:51 AM
One of those things that made a Mac, well a Mac. Good old days of Mac OS 7.6.1 (and constant crashes ^^)

GimmeSlack12
Feb 22, 2008, 12:03 PM
Modern Macs do not have the power button (to turn on the computer) anymore. The last Mac keyboard to do this was the Bondi Blue G3 keyboards.
http://webideas.com/images/imac/usb_kbrd_bberry_sm.jpg
Stop bickering you guys.

deputy_doofy
Feb 22, 2008, 12:07 PM
All of the pre-1997-Jobs Macs had a power key to turn on the machine (the sideways triangle - also known as reset, if my memory serves me correctly).

Modern Macs do not have the power button (to turn on the computer) anymore. The last Mac keyboard to do this was the Bondi Blue G3 keyboards.

Wow. How could I forget that? My iMac did have the regular power button on the keyboard.

aaronw1986
Feb 22, 2008, 01:11 PM
Wow. How could I forget that? My iMac did have the regular power button on the keyboard.

I pointed that out, but apparently no one listened. :(

GimmeSlack12
Feb 22, 2008, 01:15 PM

Yeah they were too busy trying to point out grammatical mistakes. Pictures are worth a million words my friend ;)

slimp
Feb 22, 2008, 01:19 PM

Early USB Macs had this, too. Apple went outside the USB spec to do it, however. The early iMacs the OP is remembering were in this group of Macs. Eventually Apple conformed to the USB spec and removed this feature.

It came back for a bit in a different form, on the ADC Macs. You could touch the power button on the monitor and turn on the Mac. Once ADC went away, the last "remote" power buttons were gone, too.

It's too bad. It was nice.

this is off topic, but why did apple abandon the ADC? it makes so much more sense than dvi. is it simply because dvi became the industry standard?

TEG
Feb 22, 2008, 01:38 PM
With ADC, Apple had to shunt an extra 28V through the MB to power the screen. There were few manufacturers who wanted to mess with it, and yea, DVI became the standard. Plus, they couldn't figure out how to put ADC on the laptops, so it was a major pain to use an ACD with a PowerBook.

As for the PowerButton on the Keyboard... That lasted from 1994 to 2001 (as the Cube, and it's extended keyboard dropped it). On the USB keyboards, you could not use the power button to restart the comptuer, like you could on ADB keyboards (that is one reason many people with B&W PowerMac G3s use ADB keyboards. Also, it was one of the later PowerMacs (and iMac G4/Alu PowerBook) that removed the circuitry from the computer to work with the PowerButton. Considering so many PCs can now be turned on from the keyboard, it seems like something that Apple should bring back, using the trianular symbol, or as I called it the "Jo-ke-nin" (from a dream). Also, remember you can use various key combinations on the keyboard along with the eject button to regain some of the functionally of the power button, like bringing up the "special" dialog (so you can put the computer to sleep, restart, or shutdown).

TEG

Kosh66
Feb 22, 2008, 02:56 PM
this is off topic, but why did apple abandon the ADC? it makes so much more sense than dvi. is it simply because dvi became the industry standard?

Well, one, PC people had to buy an adapter to use the displays that had ADC connectors and two, Apple eventually needed dual-link DVI for the 30" display, so they dropped the proprietary ADC, in favor of the more common standard DVI and dual-link DVI. Plus there is the power mess that the person above explained.

Osarkon
Feb 22, 2008, 05:00 PM
<--picture of keyboard-->

I actually rather like the look of that keyboard. I wonder if it was plugged into a more modern mac such as my macbook, would the power button work?

JesterJJZ
Feb 22, 2008, 05:26 PM
I miss the power button on my display...

a456
Feb 22, 2008, 05:30 PM
Given that screens are getting bigger and in turn further away from the users in a lot of instances it would make sense to have a power button on the keyboard. It would definitely save me reaching around to the back of my iMac.

TEG
Feb 22, 2008, 05:38 PM
I actually rather like the look of that keyboard. I wonder if it was plugged into a more modern mac such as my macbook, would the power button work?

The power button will bring up the "special" dialog, but will not startup the computer as the circuitry has been removed.

TEG

GimmeSlack12
Feb 22, 2008, 05:47 PM
I miss the power button on my display...

Check out InsomniacX, its software that lets you sleep the display when you want (like having a power button on your display).

JSchwage
Feb 22, 2008, 05:50 PM
I really wish Apple would add the power button from the old G3 keyboards to their current keyboards. It is so much easier to press a button on the keyboard than to have to reach under the desk to turn it on. That said, I use my MacBook most of the time, so it's not a huge issue for me.

JesterJJZ
Feb 22, 2008, 06:54 PM
Check out InsomniacX, its software that lets you sleep the display when you want (like having a power button on your display).

Can't you do that normally? I believe you can sleep your machine using the power button on the ACD.

Bastich
Feb 23, 2008, 03:46 AM
Actually, the Macally iKey USB keyboard has a power button, but I'm not sure if it's still being made. In any case it won't turn on my G5, but it does bring up the Sleep/Restart/Shutdown dialog.

:cool:

JesterJJZ
Feb 23, 2008, 04:30 AM
Actually, the Macally iKey USB keyboard has a power button, but I'm not sure if it's still being made. In any case it won't turn on my G5, but it does bring up the Sleep/Restart/Shutdown dialog.

:cool:

So does control-eject...

pastrychef
Feb 23, 2008, 06:54 AM
I have a Tactile Pro keyboard. It has a power button, too. But like others have said, it only brings up the "Special" window where you can select Restart, Sleep, or Shutdown. When the machine is off, it won't turn it on.

I think the last time the keyboard power buttons still worked was on my B&W G3. Can't remember if it worked on my AGP G4...

deputy_doofy
Feb 24, 2008, 08:37 AM

We forget easily, especially when the iMac was 4 computers (and 8 years) ago. :)

riscy
Feb 24, 2008, 08:44 AM
The Mac needs to be in the right mood, a little soft music, subtle lights, and it helps if the keyboard is VERY sexy ;)