PDA

View Full Version : Help get Apple to remove metal in Finder

idkew
Oct 27, 2003, 01:38 PM
Hey all, please give Apple some feedback, here (http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/), letting them know that the Metal themed Finder is extremely ugly and needs to be removed. Let them know we love the new design, we just hate the Metel Them applied.

OS X Feedback (http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/)

[edited for clarity]

edesignuk
Oct 27, 2003, 01:50 PM
Er...but it's not ugly...IMO :confused:

waxwings
Oct 27, 2003, 01:55 PM
I like the metal theme. How about a petition to open up support for multiple themes?

idkew
Oct 27, 2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by waxwings
I like the metal theme. How about a petition to open up support for multiple themes?

Well ask Apple for that. Not a problem.

edesign- you are a designer, correct? and you like the metal? well, i guess each to their own...

Jack White
Oct 27, 2003, 02:02 PM
i like it actually. Metal mail would be nice too.

FattyMembrane
Oct 27, 2003, 02:05 PM
after using the metal finder for a weekend, it's grown on me. aqua would be nice, but i don't think it should be a major interface priority. what needs updating are the widgets and scroll bars...

stockscalper
Oct 27, 2003, 02:31 PM
The itunes interface is not just ugly it's FUGLY!

Mal
Oct 27, 2003, 02:33 PM
Don't like the metal? Just click the toolbar button (the little white one on the top right) and the metal Finder windows will become the traditional Aqua. So what if you lose the toolbar, if you don't like the metal, you're probably one of the same weird people that didn't ever use the toolbar to start with.

JW

j33pd0g
Oct 27, 2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by skywalker
Don't like the metal? Just click the toolbar button (the little white one on the top right) and the metal Finder windows will become the traditional Aqua. So what if you lose the toolbar, if you don't like the metal, you're probably one of the same weird people that didn't ever use the toolbar to start with.

JW

You're right I am weird. However, you are wrong when you say I never used the toolbar. What is wrong with function and streamlined simplicity? I need to bounce around from directory to directory. Toolbar made this ease. I like the text only toolbar. It's not that I hate the metal, it's just that I hate the side bar and the borders. I also hate haveing to shove that sidebar to the left for all my folders. So what if I only have tyo do it one time. I have a lot of folders. Another thing, If I make a new folder I have to do the sidebar shuffle too. I make a lot of "untitled folder(s)" in the course of the day. BTW, I did feedback my gripe to Apple. I may have to revert back to 10.2.8

m4rc
Oct 27, 2003, 03:16 PM
What a pointless topic that was!

By all means go back to 10.2.8, I don't see how it will affect any of us. But do it quietly, no need to whine.

Marc

idkew
Oct 27, 2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by marccarter
What a pointless topic that was!

By all means go back to 10.2.8, I don't see how it will affect any of us. But do it quietly, no need to whine.

Marc

i think you don't get me. i don't dislike the interface, i hate the grey, metal look of it.

before you go and try to flame me for something, why don't you check and see that you know what you are talking about.

no need to act like you know everything.

idkew
Oct 27, 2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by skywalker

JW

how does color chioce have any effect on toolbar use? i am not sure i see the connection, o great one.

Juventuz
Oct 27, 2003, 04:45 PM
Just wait until Unsanity releases the Metallifizer, then you can de-metalize any app.

yamabushi
Oct 27, 2003, 04:46 PM
I want to be able to customize the appearance of all aspects of the interface. I don't like the metal look but that isn't the real problem. The problem is not having a choice in the matter. If you like the default appearance, great! For those of us that don't, it's an eyesore that isn't easily fixed. Aren't creativity and individuality supposed to be part of the MacOS experience? There are hacks for some parts of the OS and some apps, but this really needs to be a function within the OS itself. I want to be able to change between multiple skins to suit my taste, and even design a few skins of my own. :mad:

idkew
Oct 27, 2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Juventuz
Just wait until Unsanity releases the Metallifizer, then you can de-metalize any app.

yes, i can not wait, but i believe apple should have this built in.

but, thank you unsanity.

aethier
Oct 27, 2003, 05:17 PM
I like brushed metal, as soon as i firts used it, (7b68) when i would go on a computer running 10.2 i found that aqua Finder less apealing

aethier

snickelfritz
Oct 27, 2003, 05:45 PM
I like the metal Finder, and Mail would be nice in metal as well.

idkew
Oct 28, 2003, 11:00 PM
Grrrr! Where are all the sane people out there? Am I just crazy in thinking Metal is one of the worst ideas Apple ever had. This is especially true for designers who don't want a bunch of crap distracting them from their work.

mr-mac
Oct 29, 2003, 10:02 AM
As a designer for many year, i think the design of the new finder is fine. I think it might be a tad overwhelming at first, but just like safari, it grows on you.

As for a bad choice by apple, i think the failure to include the ability to skin the finder was a mistake. As one of those freaky people who skinned Jaguar, i will probably be attempting to skin my OS as soon as my new computer arrives (Dual 2G G5), NEXT WEEK.

Personally, i say if you don't like it, shut up. There were plenty of pictures of the new finder well before the pre-order date, and you had plenty of time to see if you like the new look. Nobody forced you to buy panther. If you want an OS that you can customize to look anyway you want, there are several linux distros for mac......

idkew
Oct 29, 2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by mr-mac
There were plenty of pictures of the new finder well before the pre-order date, and you had plenty of time to see if you like the new look.

Well, in defense of this, the finder was skinable during different points of development. If you look at screen shots, you can see the updated aqua look on some finder windows with the sidebar.

phgreer
Oct 29, 2003, 10:34 AM
I also love the new Metal look of OSX. I wish OSX would go totally metal. It "feels" more "solid". It's also a lot more manly.

I think it would be cool if the metal would rust after a time.

One thing I would really love to see is the hardware and software take on a brassy look. That way it would look very "Nemo'ish" -- no not the fish.. I'm talking about the look of the Natulius in the Jules Verne adventure.

j33pd0g
Oct 29, 2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by phgreer
I also love the new Metal look of OSX. I wish OSX would go totally metal. It "feels" more "solid". It's also a lot more manly.

I think it would be cool if the metal would rust after a time.

One thing I would really love to see is the hardware and software take on a brassy look. That way it would look very "Nemo'ish" -- no not the fish.. I'm talking about the look of the Natulius in the Jules Verne adventure.

Natulius look will be avaiable in version10.20,000 Leagues

johnnowak
Oct 29, 2003, 10:53 AM
You're right idkew. These people are all nuts. It would be much better Aqua.

Don't even expect popular opinion to make sense. NASCAR is the #1 sport in America, Bush is president, and Windows is the most popular OS by far. People are nuts and have no taste.

MacBoyX
Oct 29, 2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by johnnowak
You're right idkew. These people are all nuts. It would be much better Aqua.

Don't even expect popular opinion to make sense. NASCAR is the #1 sport in America, Bush is president, and Windows is the most popular OS by far. People are nuts and have no taste.

I don't understand why we have to argue about it. Apple did what they did for a reason. Aqua was in response to the look of the G4 PowerMac (it was white with pinstripes originally wasn't it?) and how the new PowerMac is brushed aluminum so hence they Finder followed. Firstly Apple is not going to do anything just becasue people don't like something. Secondly at this point it won't be until 10.4 and by then will it matter? Best you can do if you don't care for it is to wait for a third party software to "take the Metal off".

Let's not insult people by telling those that don't like the metal they are nuts or those who do that they have no taste.

To each his own...

macboyX

iPC
Oct 29, 2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Juventuz
Not iTunes 4.0.1 (or whatever the newest is) on 10.2.8

TigerPRO
Oct 29, 2003, 01:02 PM
I agree with the person who started this thread. Metal needs to be removed or optionalized. Metal and Aqua are both wonderful designs, but some people can't stand one or the other. The hugest thing Apple could do in the next release, that would make OS X fans go wild, would be a few basic interface appearance options.

My problem with metal isn't always the look of it (the texture itself). Sometimes it's just the style that goes along with it. When you have a metal interface all the nice large colorful icons in the toolbars are replaced with smaller two-tone ones. I don't like that as much in finder. Also, with metal windows you don't have anything separating the toolbar from the "window top bar". So it looks like the applications elements are spilling into the window controls, and the window title is not as neat looking sitting out in the middle of no where. If they fixed this, it would greatly improve the look of it. Finally, another bad thing about the metal texture in general is that it is not a good background for text, and the dark looking windows are not always a good thing.

The too worse OS X apps with metal are the iPod updater, and "Audio MIDI Setup". They have a solid metal background, which I think should be totally out of the question. It should only be applied to toolbars and window borders, if at all. I liked the lighter color of aqua. When you have all your windows with a dark metal texture, it's not as pleasant to look at.

Simply, the best applications with the metal interface are applications that are actual object. Like "Calculator", "DVD Player", and "QuickTime". As far as Safari goes, I actually started out not liking it at all, but I started to use it and really started to like it. It's not as ugly as most metal windows because it has more of a distinct window bar, and the bulky edges are absent.

Foxer
Oct 29, 2003, 01:31 PM
I like the metal look - those pin-stripes drove me nuts. (although I didn't realize until I saw the metal.)

The best solution, it would seem, would be the ability to choose your color scheme (I hate to say it, but sort of like you can with with windows.)

iPC
Oct 29, 2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Foxer
I like the metal look - those pin-stripes drove me nuts. (although I didn't realize until I saw the metal.)

The best solution, it would seem, would be the ability to choose your color scheme (I hate to say it, but sort of like you can with with windows.)
So I am confused... you are against choice because Microsoft offers it?

WinXP has 3 themes to choose from (Blue, Silver, old Win2k style).

OS X is a hodge-podge of 2 different themes (Aqua and Metal).

One of these makes more sense than the other, and it ain't Apple... :rolleyes: :mad: :eek: :confused:

TEG
Oct 29, 2003, 02:17 PM
Actually, having a Metal Finder follows Apple's Human interface standard. The standars state that apps that replace items in real life or mimic them, get the metal.

Finder - Metal - Is similar to a Dawer in a File Cabinet
iTunes - Metal - Is similar to a Radio/CD/Tape Deck
Address Book - Metal - I similar to a Rolodex
QuickTime - Metal - Replaces TV & VCR
DVD Player - Metal - Replaces DVD
Safari - Metal - This is currently the only app I think should not be metal, because it doesn't replace anything outside the computer world.

Truly, Mail should be metal, it replaces real mail, and Appleworks as well because it replace a Typewriter.

TEG

iPC
Oct 29, 2003, 02:39 PM
I prefer consistency in design, not the mish mash of some metal, with the excuse that it replaces a meatspace type object. Not to mention that QT destroys the concept anyway. QT does not just play video files.

At best, the lines are blurred.

<nitpick>
DRAWER ;)
</nitpick>

Powerbook G5
Oct 29, 2003, 02:58 PM
I love the metal Finder, I find it to be quite sexy, especially on my Aluminum PowerBook.

Foxer
Oct 29, 2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by iPC
So I am confused... you are against choice because Microsoft offers it?

No. I think I endorsed choice and offered up MS as an example.

By the by, I think I'm one of the more PRO-Microsoft people on the boards. Of course, that's like saying I've got more hair than most attendees of a bald convention.

johnnyjibbs
Oct 29, 2003, 03:16 PM
I don't like the metal windows much but they have improved on me. However, I don't like the look of the new Finder from pictures (still on 10.2.8 here). I don't like the edges (not as neat, bigger window). I don't understand the fuss about the sidebar (maybe I will when I get Panther though) as it seems to just replicate the functions of the toolbars in Jaguar, i.e. click on 'Applications' for the applications folder, etc., or drag your favourite folder to the toolbar for easy access to it.

And the toggling of the toolbar toggles between brushed metal and aqua? Panther already seems to be so inconsistent!

One thing I do miss from Windows, however, is simply an "up one level" button - is there one in the Panther Finder action menu? It's annoying if I'm in a folder within a folder and I want to go to the folder that that one is in (sometimes back and forward will not do this), there is no easy way except to switch to column view and drag to the left. It's always been in Windows so I can't see why such an easy navigational tool can't be implemented into the Mac OS.

Unfortunately, Metallifizer only works with Cocoa apps and even the Panther Finder is still Carbon.

I will upgrade to Panther for the speed increase and expose though (and improved open/save dialogs), just waiting and hoping for my damn up-to-date application to go through...

mangoduck
Oct 29, 2003, 03:21 PM

i've tried this in 10.2.x, and i'm not pleased with the results. gaps are left all over between elements. there's no way to remove the metal parts and have it look like a regular aqua version would if it were designed that way.

it's not the metal colors that i hate so much as the wasted space. when i first switched to x i missed being able to grab window edges, but everything is so much cleaner and simpler. you have the title bar, the content, and that's it. but now, metal and its chunkiness is infecting everything because it looks "pretty". i thought apple was all about streamlining; what happened here?

i'm not running panther (yet), so does anyone know if the new finder toolbar items are customizeable? changing the order and making them text only would be nice. (they make a standard editable toolbar and then defy it, what would you bet.)

mangoduck
Oct 29, 2003, 03:24 PM
One thing I do miss from Windows, however, is simply an "up one level" button - is there one in the Panther Finder action menu? It's annoying if I'm in a folder within a folder and I want to go to the folder that that one is in

in jaguar, add the "path" item to the toolbar. go up to any level you want.

stcanard
Oct 29, 2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
One thing I do miss from Windows, however, is simply an "up one level" button - is there one in the Panther Finder action menu?

Yes, there is a "back" arrow in the Panther finder.

Plus, in either Panther of Jaguar, just command-click the folder title. It will list the entire hierarchy the forlder is under, and you just select the one you want.

snickelfritz
Oct 29, 2003, 03:42 PM
Actually, the interface styles in Panther Finder operate much differently.
The Aqua style handles(and looks) very much like OS9, while the metal itunes style handles like a full featured file browser.
Choose the one you like best.

iPC
Oct 29, 2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by stcanard
Yes, there is a "back" arrow in the Panther finder.

Plus, in either Panther of Jaguar, just command-click the folder title. It will list the entire hierarchy the forlder is under, and you just select the one you want.
"back" != "up"

and the annoying thing with the web browser style of "forward" and "back" buttons, can't use cmd-leftarrow or cmd-rightarrow in finder. :(

Macco
Oct 29, 2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by TEG
Actually, having a Metal Finder follows Apple's Human interface standard. The standars state that apps that replace items in real life or mimic them, get the metal.

Finder - Metal - Is similar to a Dawer in a File Cabinet
iTunes - Metal - Is similar to a Radio/CD/Tape Deck
Address Book - Metal - I similar to a Rolodex
QuickTime - Metal - Replaces TV & VCR
DVD Player - Metal - Replaces DVD
Safari - Metal - This is currently the only app I think should not be metal, because it doesn't replace anything outside the computer world.

Truly, Mail should be metal, it replaces real mail, and Appleworks as well because it replace a Typewriter.

TEG

I think you're really stretching it a bit here. The intention of brushed metal according to the Apple Human Interface document is to either:
1. indicate a digital hub application
or
2. replicate the look of a real-life object.

Therefore, iTunes and the other iApps are covered, since they are digital hub applications, as well as Calculator, which replicates the look of an actual calculator. Finder should not be metal because it is not meant to replicate the look of a drawer. Mail and Appleworks should definitely not be metal because they do not replicate the look of a typewriter or real mail at all, and they cannot be considered digital hub apps. Personally, I like the new Finder, but I cannot see liking Appleworks or Mail if they were metal.

iPC
Oct 29, 2003, 04:08 PM
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/index.html

idkew
Oct 29, 2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by johnnowak

I will never understand how those things happened.

stcanard
Oct 29, 2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by iPC
"back" != "up"

and the annoying thing with the web browser style of "forward" and "back" buttons, can't use cmd-leftarrow or cmd-rightarrow in finder. :(

I guess we use finder differently.

If I want fast, keyboard navigation of hiearchies I put it in column mode and use the arrow keys.

Currently my favourite mode is list mode, where I can immediately see all my hierarchies, and use the arrow keys trivially to navigate back up.

Command-clicking the folder title gives me all the info I find I need regarding hierarchies on the current window if it's not showing root.
Of course if I want to do anything really serious, I pul up a bash shell but that's probably because I'm a recent linux convert.

MacBoyX
Oct 29, 2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by iPC
"back" != "up"

CMD + up = up a level
CMD + down = down a level (enter a folder) or launch file.

you can use the CMD and click on the folder in the bar for the heirarchy but i find adding the path element to the tool bar does it great.

macboyX

TigerPRO
Oct 29, 2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by iPC
"back" != "up"

Let's get this straight. "Cmd-[" and "Cmd-]" are the shorcuts for moving back and forward. If you want to go up or down, you can do a "Cmd-(up key/down key)". Or simply Cmd-click on the window's title's folder icon. I use this allot.

iPC
Oct 29, 2003, 06:38 PM
Thank you for the responses. I did not know this.

Although, why is it different than a web browser? Like behaviors, with different keystroke commands? What is the sense in that? Apple's interface statements go against the grain of that. It's supposed to be "familiar" to the user.

At least there is something...

killmoms
Oct 29, 2003, 07:20 PM
I believe this was posted earlier in the thread, but it got overlooked. The Metal Finder is the "file browser" Finder. The Aqua Finder is the "spatial" Finder of OS9. Your choices are:

Metal File Browser

OR

Aqua Spatial

End. Of. Discussion.

Apple doesn't care if you like brushed metal or not. They like it. And since they make the software, they do get some say in how it looks. They've made a decision that the majority of people like (or at least don't mind) the metal look, and it's their look now. Just like some people still complain about Aqua compared to OS9 and before, some people will complain about Metal versus Aqua. That's life.

(And yes, in case you were wondering, I do quite enjoy the metal look, and can't wait to get Panther on my PowerBook.)

--Cless

iPC
Oct 30, 2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Cless
I believe this was posted earlier in the thread, but it got overlooked. The Metal Finder is the "file browser" Finder. The Aqua Finder is the "spatial" Finder of OS9. Your choices are:

Metal File Browser

OR

Aqua Spatial

End. Of. Discussion.

Apple doesn't care if you like brushed metal or not. They like it. And since they make the software, they do get some say in how it looks. They've made a decision that the majority of people like (or at least don't mind) the metal look, and it's their look now. Just like some people still complain about Aqua compared to OS9 and before, some people will complain about Metal versus Aqua. That's life.

(And yes, in case you were wondering, I do quite enjoy the metal look, and can't wait to get Panther on my PowerBook.)

--Cless
I upgraded to Panther last night. I like the new finder, other than the metal look. I still think metal is ugly, and now even the terminal has it! ack! I just want a choice, all metal or all aqua. This mish-mash of the 2 is annoying, inconsistent, and ugly to look at.

IMNSHO - YMMV

idkew
Oct 30, 2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by iPC
I upgraded to Panther last night. I like the new finder, other than the metal look. I still think metal is ugly, and now even the terminal has it! ack! I just want a choice, all metal or all aqua. This mish-mash of the 2 is annoying, inconsistent, and ugly to look at.

IMNSHO - YMMV

Ħque bueno!

Powerbook G5
Oct 30, 2003, 11:28 AM
The terminal does not have brushed metal...

iPC
Oct 30, 2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
The terminal does not have brushed metal...
It sure isn't aqua, and at 2am it looked like brushed metal. I will re-check when I get home.

tonyclancy
Oct 30, 2003, 02:06 PM
Personally I like the metal effect but it can be removed in Panther with this:

http://suicidegirls.com/apps/whiteout/

Kid Red
Oct 30, 2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by idkew
Well ask Apple for that. Not a problem.

edesign- you are a designer, correct? and you like the metal? well, i guess each to their own...

I am a designer and I like the metal better as well.

idkew
Oct 30, 2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by iPC
It sure isn't aqua, and at 2am it looked like brushed metal. I will re-check when I get home.

aqua (panther aqua that is)

idkew
Oct 30, 2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by tonyclancy

Yeah! Death to Metal! Thanks a TON!

Powerbook G5
Oct 30, 2003, 05:01 PM
The menu bars in Panther have a grayish tint and more subtle stripes, but they are definitely not brushed metal by any means.

iPC
Oct 30, 2003, 05:26 PM
now i see the difference. heh. oops. too bad whiteout doesn't do iTunes... :(

Makosuke
Oct 30, 2003, 05:48 PM
Personally, I agree with those that say Apple should stick to their own HIG and only put metal on hub apps. I actually don't mind the metal finder at all, but conceptually it and Safari should both be Aqua.

My personal main reason for preferring Aqua on things like that is not the color scheme, but the flexibility of a standard aqua toolbar--drag and drop items from a pane to make it exactly what you want. That's one of the reasons (despite being able to turn things on and off in Safari) I prefer Camino to Safari, and I love being able to build my own toolbar in Mail. The customizable bar was one of the best interface ideas Apple's had in a long time.

All that said, here's a different perspective on metal. Think back a few years to OS8/9. What color was the OS? Grey, with a click-and-draggable border around windows.

Then came white and pinstriped Aqua with no window borders (but a drop shadow to provide some definition), and there was a great hew and cry from those who wanted the grey.

The new Panther metal look is much flatter and smoother than the old one (more like matte-finish aluminum than brushed metal), so it's basically slightly shiny-looking grey with a click-and-draggable border around windows. Not really so different from OS9.

We've actually, in a way, come full circle. For me, the ability to drag a window by it's edge is the biggest unsung advantage of metal over Aqua, and one of the reasons I'm secretly glad that the Finder uses it now (coupled with the smoother look).

Just giving folks a bit more choice would be a nice concession on Apple's part--maybe an aqua-styled, metal-like interface.

mangoduck
Oct 30, 2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by tonyclancy

ha! what the hell is that doing there?

mr-mac
Oct 30, 2003, 11:12 PM
I might be mistaken, but isn't Aqua the name of the base GUI, not just the appearance of the windows? Aqua is the base rules for how objects in the GUI respond, are space and general appearences, not how the windows are colored.

Now, Aqua has been tweaked in each revision of OS X since conception. The X - + buttons have become more flat, the menu bars are unstriped, and the upper right button (don't know it's official name) has slightly changed shape.

The term AQUA refers not the old striped window appearence, but how the GUI appears as a whole. For more info on what Aqua is, check out some of the documentation with Apples Interface Builder on the Developers Tools.

jake

suneun
Oct 30, 2003, 11:24 PM
I just installed Panther tonight. Eeeew it drove me nuts. The slight style changes are unnerving.

I've switched to the simple finder window, though I miss the toolbar. I put folders in the dock, instead, for now.

The boxes surrounding desktop icons that are selected is also unappealing. That's the biggest thing that looks yucky now. And I don't like the slightly thicker font in Safari. I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to change to thin them down. And eep, Mail has all those curvy bubbles surrounding things....

However, Expose is REALLY fast on my machine (only a 933). So pretty.

killmoms
Oct 31, 2003, 10:30 AM
[B]The term AQUA refers not the old striped window appearence, but how the GUI appears as a whole.[B]

Yes, but for the sake of convenience (since the most obvious thing about Aqua is the "OS X look" of White and blue-pill), that style is referred to as Aqua by the large part of the community, even though it's a semi-misapplication of the term. Live with it.

--Cless

yamabushi
Nov 3, 2003, 09:05 PM
The description of Whiteout says that it modifies a system file to change the texture of metal windows back to pinstripe. Does anybody know which file this is? It would be great if I could hack it with a custom texture.

cb911
Nov 3, 2003, 09:47 PM
you should be able to look around some themeing forums to find which file to modify.

and always remember to keep a backup... ;)

snickelfritz
Nov 4, 2003, 04:23 AM
The metal Finder window can be dragged by any of the four edges.
"Aqua" Finder windows can be dragged only by the top, mainly because they do not have borders on the left/right/bottom edges.

Personally, I don't understand why people are so polarized on this issue; it's adjustable, and the new Finder is in fact a major improvement over Jaguar.
At least we now have choice: filebrowser or spatial style.
(although I'm not sure why a different skin is necessary for some applications, but I don't find it confusing or hard to live with.)

johnnyjibbs
Nov 4, 2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by snickelfritz
At least we now have choice: filebrowser or spatial style. (although I'm not sure why a different skin is necessary for some applications, but I don't find it confusing or hard to live with.)
You get the same choice with Jaguar - just toggle the toolbar (widget at right of title bar) to toggle spatial (no toolbar) or browser. And they're both in Aqua:) .

m_gerbik
Nov 4, 2003, 12:15 PM
No. I like the metal. In fact I'm going to send feedback praising it with that link.

sasaki
Feb 3, 2004, 05:43 PM
Why Wait for Unsanity.
Go to <http://www.suicidegirls.com/apps/whiteout/download/whiteout.dmg.zip>
It removes the metal interface.

asphalt-proof
Feb 3, 2004, 06:31 PM
I am brand new to the Mac so I haven't had experiences with previous inervace wars. my take that that the Metal Finder is extrememly easy to use. The "look" of the interface does not detract from the use of the machine and i love the flexibility of changing how I can view the files. I remember when I got my first Win95 computer and was amazed that I could play around with all the colors of the windows. That lasted about 2days. then I settle on one color and was done with it. Apple is not really about choice when it comes to their products. They like us to have the same setups, the same interface, etc. Now I must go and drink some more of that Kool-aid.

movabi
Feb 3, 2004, 09:01 PM
i just want the finder to be faster and capable of dealing with large amounts of files better. The look of the finder doesn't really affect me since i use shapeshifter and have an awesome, clean theme. I have gotten use to finder in panther and actually miss it when i go back to jag.

ps I run a lot of haxies and have never had a problem with them or themes.:) :)

DaveTheGrey
Feb 4, 2004, 05:13 AM
To me this Thread sounds like this:

- some people like Metal
- some don´t

No one is nuts only because, he/she likes one of those !

Everybody would be satisfied, if in 10.4 Themes are available.
Why not ?
Only because Windoze has this option ???
bla !

In my opinion OS X is in 98% of all cases better than Windoze but for example, I like the Explorer more than the Finder.
And don´t forget: in MY opinion !

Dave out.