PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Apple should add a matte screen to the MacBook?

kabunaru
Feb 23, 2008, 06:26 PM
As an option or are you fine with the glossy display?
Me, I mattefied my MacBook and from now I will only buy laptops with matte display or buy a anti-glare film (like this one: http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/ef.php?category=pb) for the glossy display. Glossy caused a lot of eye strain for me. So yes, Apple should include matte option on the MacBook:

Eraserhead
Feb 23, 2008, 06:27 PM
Yes I'd love a matte screen, but they won't do it.

iwebhelpme
Feb 23, 2008, 06:27 PM
As an option or are you fine with the glossy display?
Me, I mattefied my MacBook and from now I will only buy laptops with matte display or buy a anti-glare film (like this one: http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/ef.php?category=pb) for the glossy display. Glossy caused a lot of eye strain for me. So yes, Apple should include matte option on the MacBook:

good heavens you can replace the display with another laptop display?!??! awesome!

Eraserhead
Feb 23, 2008, 06:28 PM
good heavens you can replace the display with another laptop display?!??! awesome!

No, they've put a film over the screen.

sushi
Feb 23, 2008, 06:30 PM
I would have purchased the following if Apple would make a matte screen option:

- MB
- MBA
- iMac (20 inch)

So by not offering a matte screen option, Apple has lost out on three purchases from me.

...and they probably do not care. ;)

heatmiser
Feb 23, 2008, 06:47 PM
Don't care. A 1440x900 screen would be a more useful option for me.

amanda kathryn
Feb 23, 2008, 06:52 PM
my other laptop (toshiba) has a matte screen and i can't stand it. i'm thrilled with the glossy screen on my macbook and have no desire to go matte again.

murc585
Feb 23, 2008, 07:28 PM
can those films be taken off if you end up not liking the results?

kabunaru
Feb 23, 2008, 07:29 PM
can those films be taken off if you end up not liking the results?

Yes

Eraserhead
Feb 23, 2008, 08:27 PM
But if you try and re-apply them, they look rubbish as they get dirt stuck to them.

chrisbeebops
Feb 23, 2008, 08:35 PM
Don't care. A 1440x900 screen would be a more useful option for me.

Not going to happen any time soon. Current 15" MBP resolution is 1440x900. Apple won't raise the resolution of a 13" screen on a MB until it raises the resolution on the 15" MBP.

Frozonecold
Feb 23, 2008, 08:42 PM
Personally I prefer glossy screens as they produce more vibrant color. I have never had glare problems. Unless you use your computer outside in bright sun, don't waste your time with a matte screen. Take my opinion with a half a grain of salt though.

Eraserhead
Feb 23, 2008, 08:43 PM
Not going to happen any time soon. Current 15" MBP resolution is 1440x900. Apple won't raise the resolution of a 13" screen on a MB until it raises the resolution on the 15" MBP.

They also won't do it until they get resolution independence into the OS and working well. Its been in "beta" since Tiger.

heatmiser
Feb 23, 2008, 08:51 PM

I know, but as long as we're talking about things we'd like to see, that's certainly one. DPI scaling is another; you can scale up and down in XP, and you can scale up in Vista, but you can't do either in Tiger (or Leopard, AFAIK).

Frozonecold
Feb 23, 2008, 08:52 PM
They also won't do it until they get resolution independence into the OS and working well. Its been in "beta" since Tiger.I thought that was going to be a Leopard feature. I wonder why they aborted that.

kabunaru
Feb 23, 2008, 09:04 PM
But if you try and re-apply them, they look rubbish as they get dirt stuck to them.

I will never take it off then.

Spritey
Feb 23, 2008, 09:08 PM
my other laptop (toshiba) has a matte screen and i can't stand it. i'm thrilled with the glossy screen on my macbook and have no desire to go matte again.

I feel the same way about my MBP with glossy screen: never going back to matte. I never had any problems with glare at all, so I guess it depends where the light in your room is situated when you're working on it. I also worked outside on my MBP, but as long as you make sure not to have the sun behind you when you're working I didn't experience any glare troublesome enough for me to notice it.

And yes, I have no need for the color accuracy that matte screens have either...

sushi
Feb 23, 2008, 09:11 PM
It would be interesting to see the sales numbers if Apple offered a matte screen option to the MB.

My bet is that they would increase overall MB sales.

Flyer0815
Feb 23, 2008, 09:17 PM
Apple has brilliantly marketed the MacBook as the premier consumer laptop. It has a glossy display for a reason.... Consumers tend to like glossy displays better. It would be a foolish decision to complicate the purchasing decision for entry level consumer buyers by adding unneeded complications to the buying process, and creating unneeded inventory for resellers.

Adding matte to the MB may serve a niche need on tech forums, but in the real world, it will be trumped by consumers who see and want the eye candy of a glossy display... There is a reason why the MB is the best selling Mac now... why try and fix something that isn't broken.

kabunaru
Feb 23, 2008, 09:19 PM
Apple has brilliantly marketed the MacBook as the premier consumer laptop. It has a glossy display for a reason.... Consumers tend to like glossy displays better. It would be a foolish decision to complicate the purchasing decision for entry level consumer buyers by adding unneeded complications to the buying process, and creating unneeded inventory for resellers.

Adding matte to the MB may serve a niche need on tech forums, but in the real world, it will be trumped by consumers who see and want the eye candy of a glossy display... There is a reason why the MB is the best selling Mac now... why try and fix something that isn't broken.

Then why did G3 and G4 iBooks had matte screens?

Flyer0815
Feb 23, 2008, 09:24 PM
Then why did G3 and G4 iBooks had matte screens?

For the same reason most other laptops of this time were matte... the glossy display has recently reached mass appeal only recently.

It is silly to compare the g3 and g4 to the MacBook.. that only hurts your argument. The MacBook is a far better seller than those two combined.

Bonsai1214
Feb 23, 2008, 09:34 PM
glossy for me. matte seems to dim the screen (not sure if its true or not) and my screen is already pretty dark because i like to save power to my mb.

heatmiser
Feb 23, 2008, 09:39 PM
The MacBook is a far better seller than those two combined.

A big reason for this (besides the marketing) is the fact that the Macbook is far more the MBP's equal than the iBook ever was to the Powerbook. Back then, Apple seemed to bend over backwards to cripple the iBooks in order to keep them from competing with the Powerbooks. Someone finally clued them in that business would work better if there were fewer differences between the machines, and Apple took note. Another reason is the fact that there's only one Macbook (yes, there are different colors and specs, but there's effectively one model). There were two iBooks back then, which I figure also cut into profits. Much simpler to have a 13" model (split right down the middle) instead of a 12" model and a 14" model.

f1
Feb 23, 2008, 09:40 PM
they just need to put a better screen on the macbook period. I hate how, if i crank up the brightness all the colors have a whitish tint and are very washed out.

Eric Lewis
Feb 23, 2008, 09:41 PM
well knowing apple it will likely be a 100 dollar upgrade to matte

Flyer0815
Feb 23, 2008, 09:48 PM
A big reason for this (besides the marketing)....... There were two iBooks back then, which I figure also cut into profits. Much simpler to have a 13" model (split right down the middle) instead of a 12" model and a 14" model.

Exactly my point... it begins and ends with the marketing and product simplicity. Adding a matte option is unneeded in the consumer product line when the majority of consumers are voting glossy with their wallet, making the MacBook the most popular Mac ever.

Keeping options simple is a great consumer marketing strategy, which is why there is no matte option.

teknikal90
Feb 23, 2008, 09:48 PM
I would have purchased the following if Apple would make a matte screen option:

- MB
- MBA
- iMac (20 inch)

So by not offering a matte screen option, Apple has lost out on three purchases from me.

...and they probably do not care. ;)

............are you sure.........?
if i was you and i was willing to spend that much id be willing to spend a lil extra to buy anti glare films....so you held out from buying those just cause you didnt want to spend the $20 extra for antiglare films?......... -.-'

kabunaru
Feb 23, 2008, 09:56 PM
Exactly my point... it begins and ends with the marketing and product simplicity. Adding a matte option is unneeded in the consumer product line when the majority of consumers are voting glossy with their wallet, making the MacBook the most popular Mac ever.

Keeping options simple is a great consumer marketing strategy, which is why there is no matte option.

Or maybe remove glossy once and for all and make the MacBook's display matte only. I don't see why people would choose glossy other than it has better colors. It does nothing but stresses the eyes. I did give the glossy display a chance.

heatmiser
Feb 23, 2008, 10:02 PM
Or maybe remove glossy once and for all and make the MacBook's display matte only. I don't see why people would choose glossy other than it has better colors. It does nothing but stresses the eyes. I did give the glossy display a chance.

If the majority of folks found glossy screens as bad as you do, they wouldn't sell as well as they do. You don't like glossy screens; that's fine. But sale trends suggest people are fine with them--just as people were fine when the industry switched from 4:3 to 16:10 screens as default aspect ratios in laptops.

Flyer0815
Feb 23, 2008, 10:07 PM

I hear your frustrations... but maybe the MBP is better suited for your needs. Again, we need to think like entry level consumers, not professionals when analyzing the MB. The glossy screen is attractive to consumers, and most entry level laptops do have glossy screens. Apple would shoot itself in the foot if it completely eliminated the glossy screen from its consumer line to appease a very small amount of tech savvy individuals who frequent boards such as this. It is difficult to find a matte entry level laptop these days.. and it is like that for a reason... consumers prefer glossy.

mosx
Feb 23, 2008, 11:15 PM
If the majority of folks found glossy screens as bad as you do, they wouldn't sell as well as they do. You don't like glossy screens; that's fine. But sale trends suggest people are fine with them--just as people were fine when the industry switched from 4:3 to 16:10 screens as default aspect ratios in laptops.

Thats basically true.

The option to have a matte screen has been removed from most consumer PCs. In those that still do offer it, it's at a much lower resolution and brightness than the glossy screens.

The people have spoken. People want glossy and they're getting glossy.

Seeing as how the MacBook is Apple's most popular computer, I don't think they'll be "messing with success" any time soon. Even if it does mean that they don't include features that it should have, like 2GB of RAM or a dedicated GPU.

sushi
Feb 23, 2008, 11:23 PM
............are you sure.........?
if i was you and i was willing to spend that much id be willing to spend a lil extra to buy anti glare films....so you held out from buying those just cause you didnt want to spend the $20 extra for antiglare films?......... -.-'
Yes, I am sure. I can easily purchase any Mac I want at any time. That is not the issue. The issue is glossy verses matte. I prefer matte. Glossy makes my eyes hurt and gives me a headache after prolonged use.

And it makes no sense to me to put an antiglare film on a glossy screen. Sorry, but I prefer natural matte screens.

On a side note, I purchased an older white iMac instead of the new glossy iMac for my daughter. I was ready to purchase a new glossy iMac for her, but she preferred a matte screen over glossy.

sushi
Feb 23, 2008, 11:30 PM
The people have spoken. People want glossy and they're getting glossy.
Have they spoken?

If you only offer glossy, and folks purchase the laptops, have they really made a choice between matte and glossy.

For example, say I want an MBA because it will do what I want. Except it has that darn glossy screen which I dislike. So now I am in a quandary. Do I purchase the MBA because it does what I want but has a screen that is terrible for me? Or do I forgo the MBA purchase because of the screen and not have a computer that I want?

For some, they will go ahead and purchase the MBA and suck it up with the glossy screen. Others like me, the glossy screen becomes a show stopper.

I would really like a Black MB. Love how they look. It would work great for me. I would bump the RAM up to 4GB and the HD to 320GB and be a happy camper except for the glossy screen. Well, and the keyboard. But I can get used to the keyboard. However, the glossy screen is a no go for me.

eXan
Feb 23, 2008, 11:42 PM
I prefer matte, but I'm fine with glossy.

Glossy is sucks only when you have a window behind you or you are outside on a sunny day. Other than that, its basically same as matte.

BTW, my MacBook is placed in my room so that the window (rather big one) is right behind me when I work at my MB. Its not that bad really. Becomes suitable for text-only when the sun is directly shining to the screen, but go try to point matte screen to the sun and see what happens with it's usability.

mrkramer
Feb 23, 2008, 11:59 PM
Glossy on the iMacs gave me a headache after just a few minutes of using them in a store, on the MacBooks I don't like it, but since the screen is small it is easier to get it on an angle where the screen is viewable instead of being a mirror.

greeneggs28
Feb 24, 2008, 12:00 AM
As long as they keep the matte an option for the MBP's and ACD's, I'm happy. Because that is an important option for print designers. It doesn't really matter with MB and Air, because those computers are usually just for web and entertainment purposes, which the glossy screen is just fine. I guess it would be great to have that option in the iMac line though...

sushi
Feb 24, 2008, 12:12 AM
Glossy on the iMacs gave me a headache after just a few minutes of using them in a store
I hear ya.

I wish that Apple offered a matte screen option on their consumer lines (MB, MBA and iMac).

As the poll currently stands, if you remove those that don't care, matte is preferred over glossy by an almost 3 to 1 margin.

Most interesting.

Current Poll Stats:
Yes, what's up with these glossy displays these days? 30 60.00%
No, I am fine with glossy and like it more than matte. 11 22.00%
I don't care either way 9 18.00%

Fiasco
Feb 24, 2008, 04:10 AM

Better colors could be critical, for say, photographers.

Honestly I don't get a glare off my MacBook screen and I much prefer this screen over a matte one.

Luzzio
Feb 24, 2008, 05:04 AM
My MB is glossy :confused:

I always thought it was matte.

Eraserhead
Feb 24, 2008, 05:47 AM
I thought that was going to be a Leopard feature. I wonder why they aborted that.

No time, it was supposed to be a Tiger feature too ;).

I will never take it off then.

Its the wonders of static electricity.

kabunaru
Feb 24, 2008, 08:57 AM
And it makes no sense to me to put an antiglare film on a glossy screen. Sorry, but I prefer natural matte screens.

It still feels natural to me with the anti-glare film but I understand what you mean.

John.B
Feb 24, 2008, 04:36 PM
It wasn't one of the options, but I'd rather have the LED backlit display in the MacBook than a matte option. Unless they gave me the option for both, which is unlikely in their entry-level laptop.

mosx
Feb 24, 2008, 04:54 PM
Have they spoken?

If you only offer glossy, and folks purchase the laptops, have they really made a choice between matte and glossy.

Well, up until recently, HP and Dell both offered a full range of matte and glossy screens. However, people didn't buy them. Dell now only offers one matte option on their consumer lines and HP completely removed the option for a matte screen.

Look at the MacBook. The screen looks 10x better than the iBook screens ever did and it's selling much better than the iBooks ever did. My girlfriend's sister has the last iBook revision and she looks at my MacBook (and HP) screen and gets green with envy over the quality over the colors.

And, again, up until recently, the tens of millions of people who bought Dell, HP, Gateway, etc. with a glossy screen over matte made it clear that people prefer the more vibrant colors and brighter and better overall image of a glossy screen.

I even know someone who bought into all of this "glossy strains your eyes and gives you a headache" nonsense. He was afraid to upgrade from his PowerBook because of the glossy screens being offered. But he saw the glossy and matte MBP side by side in the Apple store and didn't hesitate one second when telling the clerk he wanted the MBP with a glossy screen.

For example, say I want an MBA because it will do what I want. Except it has that darn glossy screen which I dislike. So now I am in a quandary. Do I purchase the MBA because it does what I want but has a screen that is terrible for me? Or do I forgo the MBA purchase because of the screen and not have a computer that I want?

For some, they will go ahead and purchase the MBA and suck it up with the glossy screen. Others like me, the glossy screen becomes a show stopper.

I would really like a Black MB. Love how they look. It would work great for me. I would bump the RAM up to 4GB and the HD to 320GB and be a happy camper except for the glossy screen. Well, and the keyboard. But I can get used to the keyboard. However, the glossy screen is a no go for me.

But seriously, what's wrong with glossy? The poll here might show that people prefer matte, but the millions of MacBook and tens of millions of PC buyers have proven that people in general want glossy screens.

I've been using glossy screens on my notebooks for a couple of years now. Every time I see matte the colors look dull and washed out and it just doesn't appear as "bright" as a glossy screen. I have never once had an issue with reflections or glare, even using my MacBook in a building with very large and uncovered windows facing east in the late afternoon with my screen facing them. I have never been in a situation where any light or anything has had any kind of impact on the screen.

If I did any kind of work that required color accuracy.. well, theres not a notebook on the planet that has a screen good enough for that.

Glossy screens just look better. If someone has a problem with eye strain then they need to have their eyes examined or just not sit in a way where you have a light deliberately reflecting off the screen.

mashoutposse
Feb 24, 2008, 05:01 PM
Apple's glossy screens are better than most -- I too have never had a problem with glare and I've used my MBA in a variety of lighting conditions. Other than the vividness of the colors, it is often hard to tell that the screen is glossy.

For a consumer product, it is more important that the display be pleasing to the eye than to be "accurate."

sushi
Feb 24, 2008, 05:34 PM
Glossy screens just look better. If someone has a problem with eye strain then they need to have their eyes examined or just not sit in a way where you have a light deliberately reflecting off the screen.
And there are those who say that matte screens just look better, and prefer matte screens over glossy. Can't you accept that?

Anyhow, for the record, I much prefer matte screens instead of glossy screens.

BTW, lighting conditions do not change that opinion. Glossy screens give me eyestrain and headaches. Where as I can look at matte screens for extended periods of time without any problems at all. I am sure that there are others just like me judging from the poll results so far.

kabunaru
Feb 25, 2008, 06:22 PM
For a consumer product, it is more important that the display be pleasing to the eye than to be "accurate."

Sure it might have better but less accurate colors but is it really better to the eye with all that glare if the lighting is not right?

decksnap
Feb 25, 2008, 06:26 PM
Glossy or matte almost doesn't matter with such a horrible panel in there to begin with. Absolute garbage.

Shackler
Feb 25, 2008, 06:59 PM
Consumers like the brightness of a glossy better. glare or no glare. unless your doing serious editing work(non-macbook consumers) matte isnt necesary and probably wont be added.

kabunaru
Jun 24, 2008, 05:07 PM
BTW, lighting conditions do not change that opinion. Glossy screens give me eyestrain and headaches. Where as I can look at matte screens for extended periods of time without any problems at all. I am sure that there are others just like me judging from the poll results so far.

Yes, I noticed this too. My eyes don't get red and strained with the matte screen after long periods of use. I don't think a person will be saying the same for a glossy display.

TheOnlyOasis
Jun 24, 2008, 05:25 PM
I would definitely prefer a matte screen. Definitely. I hate how much glare interferes sometimes

amusiccale
Jun 24, 2008, 05:31 PM
The gloss is what kept me out of a macbook.

kabunaru
Jun 24, 2008, 05:33 PM
The gloss is what kept me out of a macbook.

This is what is going to bring you back to the MacBook:
http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/ef.php?category=mb

Saturn1217
Jun 24, 2008, 05:44 PM
I'll say first of all that I actually don't mind the glossy screen personally.

But lets remember that apple really only has 4 varieties of laptop (I'm splitting MBPs in two because in my mind 15 and 17 inch would be separate choices in the PC world) Basically there is a lot less choice in the Mac world when buying a laptop. And for mobile professionals there is NO matte option. I think it is really dumb to peg the macbook as only a consumer laptop. It is bought by the vast majority of people consumer or pro who don't need the better computing power of the MBP and want to stay mobile. My boss who is a harvard professor recently got a macbook not the pro. Why? because he wants a mobile computer and doesn't need to spend the extra money even though i'm sure he has it, on that graphics card plus plenty of professionals prefer smaller computers. I think apple should offer choices such as matte screens for these people.

I'm pretty sure (based on what i've seen and how they're displayed in the apple store) that most people who get the MBP get the matte screen but apple still offers a choice so the whole complicating the buying decision doesn't hold up. They should just offer a choice for both and produce less matte screens expecting that macbooks will mostly be bought with the glossy screen. They could even charge extra for matte if they want. I just don't like not having a choice.

kabunaru
Jun 24, 2008, 05:55 PM
I'll say first of all that I actually don't mind the glossy screen personally.

But lets remember that apple really only has 4 varieties of laptop (I'm splitting MBPs in two because in my mind 15 and 17 inch would be separate choices in the PC world) Basically there is a lot less choice in the Mac world when buying a laptop. And for mobile professionals there is NO matte option. I think it is really dumb to peg the macbook as only a consumer laptop. It is bought by the vast majority of people consumer or pro who don't need the better computing power of the MBP and want to stay mobile. My boss who is a harvard professor recently got a macbook not the pro. Why? because he wants a mobile computer and doesn't need to spend the extra money even though i'm sure he has it, on that graphics card plus plenty of professionals prefer smaller computers. I think apple should offer choices such as matte screens for these people.

I'm pretty sure (based on what i've seen and how they're displayed in the apple store) that most people who get the MBP get the matte screen but apple still offers a choice so the whole complicating the buying decision doesn't hold up. They should just offer a choice for both and produce less matte screens expecting that macbooks will mostly be bought with the glossy screen. They could even charge extra for matte if they want. I just don't like not having a choice.

I agree with you.
The more choices, the better.

brodeur
Jun 24, 2008, 06:53 PM
placebo effect..?

"wow, nice computer, jim."
"thanks.. check out that glossy screen, eh?"
"oh... i didn't notice that."
"yeah, it's a beaut..."
"do you have any advil?"

leekohler
Jun 24, 2008, 07:38 PM
Have they spoken?

I have the new black MacBook and the screen is my only complaint. I've gotten used to it, but will probably get the anti-glare film to remedy the problem. It's too nice of a computer to put a glossy screen in it. I also bought a MacBook because it's plastic. I would destroy a MBP. The aluminum is just too delicate. I've seen what happens to them when they get dropped, and it ain't pretty. The ones I've seen people drop at work have been rendered useless, while I've already dropped my BlackBook twice and it's perfectly fine. I'm simply too hard on laptops to get a MBP. If they made them out of plastic, I'd be all over one though.

kabunaru
Jun 24, 2008, 07:46 PM
The ones I've seen people drop at work have been rendered useless, while I've already dropped my BlackBook twice and it's perfectly fine.

What do you do to to your Black MacBook? :eek:

leekohler
Jun 24, 2008, 07:48 PM
What do you do to to your Black MacBook? :eek:

Nothing- it just goes with me everywhere every day and things happen. Buses and trains and even just walking down the sidewalk with a laptop in it's bag on a daily basis is going to be hazardous at some point. It's just the rules of chance.

SchneiderMan
Jun 24, 2008, 08:51 PM
matte is lame

kabunaru
Jun 24, 2008, 08:59 PM
matte is lame

To you but not to me. :p

krye
Jun 25, 2008, 01:15 PM
You guys need just get used to it and bite the bullet. You do know that in a couple of years all you'll be able to buy is a glossy LED, right? You know that mattes are going away right?

David G.
Jun 25, 2008, 08:55 PM
You guys need just get used to it and bite the bullet. You do know that in a couple of years all you'll be able to buy is a glossy LED, right? You know that mattes are going away right?

Why don't you go ahead and predict the end of the world in two years time while you're at it as well?:(

M4CBOOK
Jun 25, 2008, 09:10 PM
I like my glossy screen, matte screens seen dark

kabunaru
Jun 25, 2008, 09:20 PM

What about the pros who actually need a matte screen?

ref26
Jun 27, 2008, 10:14 AM
I had a Dell with a matte screen before I got my blackbook and I really liked it. The issue I have with my glossy screen isn't the glare, it's those darned smudges and fingerprints. I never really had to clean my old screen, just wipe away dust occasionally, whereas now I'm ikear-ing all the time to get rid of pesky smudges and fingerprints that I don't even know how they got there! And whenever I see Macbooks around campus and see the screens at an angle, the screens are absolutely covered in smudges. Yuck! With my old computer I could brush away a fleck of dust or lint on the sceen with my finger, no problem, with my current one it becomes a whole production of pulling out a microfiber cloth so I don't smudge the sceen and need to iklear it yet again. One of my only complaints about my beloved Mac.

GuyOnTheCouch22
Jun 27, 2008, 10:38 AM
yea i really wish they would add matte, i just switched from a rev a mbp with a matte screen to a black macbook pro i bought last week and i didnt think i would miss that and the backlit keyboard as much but i do miss those features

NightFlight
Jun 27, 2008, 11:39 AM
I don't care about matte or glossy, I would just like to see a larger screen go into the next MB.

kabunaru
Jun 27, 2008, 12:44 PM
I don't care about matte or glossy, I would just like to see a larger screen go into the next MB.

You want a 15" MacBook or a 13" MacBook with a 1440x900 resolution? :confused: