PDA

View Full Version : iPhoto v1.1?

arn
Apr 30, 2002, 05:53 PM
StuK writes that MacNN is reporting (http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=13959) on an upcoming update for iPhoto...

The new version claims to provide "enhanced editing, improved organizing and
new ways to share your photos including the ability to include photos in
Email, set your desktop picture and your Screen Saver slideshow."

TyleRomeo
Apr 30, 2002, 06:07 PM
sounds good to me, throw that in the new Power Macs at MWNY

robotrenegade
Apr 30, 2002, 06:18 PM
If you don't know how to do that w/out iPhoto now. Then you shouldn't own a mac.

djniche
Apr 30, 2002, 06:37 PM
For regular consumers - this is plus - iphoto now has basic features and some very unique.. like the book choice. if true this gives the regular joe more powerful features and then more reason to use this program.

For Power Users / ex. Graphic Designers can't do without Photoshop 7!

SPG
Apr 30, 2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by robotrenegade
If you don't know how to do that w/out iPhoto now. Then you shouldn't own a mac.

Settle down tough guy, Apple has always been there for the newbies, and the more that the software can offer them the better.

Off topic, has anyone else been getting pop behind ads off MacNN? I've been getting them all the time and i think it's Macnn that's behind it.

D0ct0rteeth
Apr 30, 2002, 07:53 PM
actually arn; I posted this over 5 hours ago:

http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=4399

but anyway...

its all good

C-

RandomMacGuy
Apr 30, 2002, 08:19 PM
iPhoto is written in Cocoa and if I remember correctly, it is currently impossible to change the desktop picture in Cocoa or with AppleScript (although that seems like a logical apple event for the Finder).

I am not 100% sure about the private APIs, but I am sure that the current public Cocoa APIs don't facilitate changing the desktop image.

Why do you care? Because this means two things:

1) That feature will not exist or the software wont be released. This is a bad one, but the next one is much, much better.
2) Apple will update the Cocoa frameworks. Usually, this happens when they update the OS because that is a way to ensure that most users will update.

In short, unless I am mistaken and if an iPhoto update is released (with that feature), Apple will update the OS before or at the same time as the software.

All of you waiting for the next installment of OS X (be it 10.1.5 or 10.2, which I doubt), your day may come.

- RandomMacGuy (Long time listener, first time caller)

TechLarry
Apr 30, 2002, 10:54 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SPG
[B]

Settle down tough guy, Apple has always been there for the newbies, and the more that the software can offer them the better.

LOL! I couldn't have said it better :)

TL

eric_n_dfw
Apr 30, 2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by RandomMacGuy
iPhoto is written in Cocoa and if I remember correctly, it is currently impossible to change the desktop picture in Cocoa or with AppleScript (although that seems like a logical apple event for the Finder).

I am not 100% sure about the private APIs, but I am sure that the current public Cocoa APIs don't facilitate changing the desktop image.

I'm not sure of this, but I doubt this is true - at least for Cocoa apps. I'd believe it for Carbon and (of course) Classic, but Cocoa apps like "Desktop Control" ( http://www.jokke.dk/software/ ) and "Change Desktop" ( http://www.classicalguitar.net/brian/apps/changedesktop/ ) do this already.

In fact, I'm fairly sure you can do it from the command line with the "defaults" command. Something like "defaults write com.apple.Finder BackgroundPictureURL" ... (I don't remember the systax or if that's the right "domain" or not)

These things are kept in the defaults database. It wouldn't make much sense for cocoa app's to not be able to change them. Heck, the Systems Pref's app is a cocoa app!

:-)

RandomMacGuy
May 1, 2002, 12:14 AM
Doh!

While it is impossible from the Cocoa APIs (i.e. there is no changeDesktopTo: method in NSWorkspace or any similar method in any class), it is right there in 'com.apple.desktop'

For my pride, let's say I'm half right. :p

- RandomMacGuy

BeerDrinker29
May 1, 2002, 02:29 AM
So MacNN is becoming a Rumor site huh? :) They must really be feeling the heat from macminute. They don't even claim to have industry sources -- it was simply " a reader" ..
hahah, maybe we're putting too much faith in this rumor :)

Geert
May 1, 2002, 04:31 AM
Any update of an iApp (and others) is welcome.:)
That means that they are still adjusting apps and think of they're users.

- RandomMacGuy (Long time listener, first time caller)
correction, second:p

BeerDrinker29
May 1, 2002, 04:49 AM
iPhoto 1.1 now available - Posted on Wednesday 1st May @ 3:29 am MST
Apple has released iPhoto 1.1, as noted by MacNN.

The 25 MB archive is available here, though Apple has yet to update the iPhoto web site.

The iPhoto ReadMe states the following key improvements:

email your photos using Apple Mail
adjust brightness and contrast to improve the appearance of your photo
retain and display EXIF data (image and camera information about each photo)
automatically create an album by dragging a folder of photos into the Photo Library list
import directly from a Photo CD or Picture CD
import a group of photos as separate film rolls by dragging a folder with subfolders into the photo viewing area
set your desktop image from within iPhoto
set your screen saver from within iPhoto

(source: spymac)

Geert
May 1, 2002, 05:18 AM
I downloaded this update, although I do not intend to install it until Apple has updated or released any info.

Where did this update come from?
I haven't seen anything on the Apple site.

Anybody installed the update yet?
Any problems?

Sayer
May 1, 2002, 09:02 AM
Actually in a Cocoa (Mach-0 binary) app you can use just about any API you want including Carbon and POSIX (UNIXy stuff). And you can directly use the underlying APIs that Cocoa is built on top of called Core Foundation which performs the XML preferences parsing hoopla which makes 'defaults write com...' work.

Its a very powerful way to make an App, any app, for Mac OS X. You are not strictly segregated between Carbon or Cocoa or POSIX or whatever.

I made a Cocoa-based lil' thing that read and modified the XML preferences of another app using Core Foundation and did other things with Carbon so it is all possible.

Hemingray
May 1, 2002, 09:59 AM
Is this update showing up in the Software Update? I'm not at home so I can't check right now. But you can bet I won't be downloading or installing it until Apple officially announces it!

britboy
May 1, 2002, 10:03 AM
it's not yet showing up on software update. I've downloaded it, but like geert i'm going to wait before installing it. I'd rather let someone else take the risks, my baby doesn't deserve faulty sofware :)

Xapplimatic
May 1, 2002, 10:14 AM
MacNN really screwed this one up. Their link points to the iPhoto page on Apple.com and its download page... BUT the download page only has the 1.0 version on it!! I found version 1.1 posted on Versiontracker by Apple with a list of updates.. Go to VersionTracker..

And yes, I have noticed MacNN has begun to dance with the devil and deploy pop-up ads. Shame on MacNN!

resm
May 1, 2002, 10:19 AM
so far so good...downloaded and used it...no problem so far :)

midiman
May 1, 2002, 10:53 AM
Click Here for 1.1 (http://a1408.g.akamai.net/7/1408/1388/20020205/akamai.info.apple.com/iPhoto/us/osx/iPhoto1.1.dmg.bin)

sloppyjoe
May 1, 2002, 10:57 AM
http://a1408.g.akamai.net/7/1408/1388/20020205/akamai.info.apple.com/iPhoto/us/osx/iPhoto1.1.dmg.bin

oddfuzz
May 1, 2002, 11:19 AM
looks like the link everyone has been posting has been pulled. still nothing on Apple's page or software update. strange

Hemingray
May 1, 2002, 11:28 AM
Heheh... surprise surprise... I smell an iTunes fiasco all over again. :D

Not really. I'm sure it's fine, who knows what they're up to. resm, I admire your bravery. I just hope it doesn't wipe your hard drive. ;)

sloppyjoe
May 1, 2002, 12:13 PM
This still works...:D You might have to click it a few times because it drops at around 4MB.

http://a1408.g.akamai.net/7/1408/1388/20020205/akamai.info.apple.com/iPhoto/us/osx/iPhoto1.1.dmg.bin

Macmaniac
May 1, 2002, 12:22 PM
It ain't workin, if anyone has it please send it to flashgordy12@aol.com I would really be thankful!

kevin49093
May 1, 2002, 12:31 PM
Just ran 1.1 here. Looks like some helpful additions, but my camera isn't recognised now? Probably just something Dumb on my end that I didn't see yet...

Anyone else notice anything?

(edited= yup... it's just me...)

sloppyjoe
May 1, 2002, 12:38 PM
The file is 25MB, I can post it if anywone has a good parking spot. I am stuck at work (in a PEECEE world) and I can't set an FTP server. I did the update this morning at home ant it ran fine!

jstaffin
May 1, 2002, 12:56 PM
Just an interesting note, earlier, 11:45 CST, I noticed that iphoto 1.1 was up on versiontracker, now it's not there.

jelloshotsrule
May 1, 2002, 01:02 PM
question about software update...

is there usually a specific time of day that they put things up for update via sw? just curious if maybe it WILL be out today (or soon) but they just don't put it up for update til evening or something...

just curious what the past has shown in that regard...

voicegy
May 1, 2002, 06:54 PM
Someone got ahold of iPhoto update and spread it around, but in my opinion, if it ain't available via the software update panel, it ain't ready for download.

Goes for any update from Apple that pops up on whatever web sites. I trust the update panel ONLY!

...and as of 5 p.m., Steve Jobs time (Pacific) it's still not ready.

Counting down.....

Xapplimatic
May 1, 2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by voicegy
Someone got ahold of iPhoto update and spread it around, but in my opinion, if it ain't available via the software update panel, it ain't ready for download...

uh.. no.. an Apple employee at Apple put it up on VersionTracker.com.. it was listed from Apple.. and it was since pulled by Apple, because it's a beta version. I retract my earlier misstatement about MacNN screwing up, because clearly it was someone at Apple who screwed up, and will probably feel the wrath of Steve over letting out betaware... (even though it seems fine on my end)..

MacAmigo
May 1, 2002, 10:53 PM
Give it up gang! The link's been pulled. We sleepy heads will have to wait for Apple to release officially.:o

Xapplimatic
May 2, 2002, 12:59 AM
You can find it here:

www.dwarves.tv