PDA

View Full Version : If New MacBooks Come Out Tomorrow, Should I....

Cyroceon
Feb 25, 2008, 08:51 PM
Keep my refurb MacBook that was delivered to me Saturday, or should I buy the new one? What do you guys think? I got $150 off the refurb, so it ended up costing me $950 before tax. Since the new ones obviously won't have any refurb models, then I would have to buy it new under education discount. If they aren't changing pricing, that would make the mid-grade MacBook that I got $1299-100=$1199. This would be $250 more than I paid for my MacBook.

Do you guys think that it would be wise to upgrade? What if the update is a simple processor update? Then again, what if it was aluminum case, multi touch trackpad, thinner, lighter, better processor, and lets say double the ram out of the box? This puts me in a position that I don't necessarily want to be in, however, I do have options because I'm still well within my 14 day return period. Any advice?

heatmiser
Feb 25, 2008, 08:55 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greed

QCassidy352
Feb 25, 2008, 09:10 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greed

It's greedy to want to make the wisest computer purchase you can? :confused:

To the OP, we can't give you good advice until we see specs on whatever comes out tomorrow. It's pointless to speculate when we don't know which model will be updated tomorrow, or what that update will be.

Cyroceon
Feb 25, 2008, 09:14 PM
It's greedy to want to make the wisest computer purchase you can? :confused:

To the OP, we can't give you good advice until we see specs on whatever comes out tomorrow. It's pointless to speculate when we don't know which model will be updated tomorrow, or what that update will be.

I know, I know, but I just want to be ready. I will be on the phone with Apple if the circumstances put me in that position. I have a side question though. I have backed up everything on Time Machine. If I get a new MacBook, when it boots up it will ask me to import right? What will happen? Will it basically mirror my current setup? How about my programs, settings, programs I've installed, etc...?

PhaserFuzz
Feb 25, 2008, 09:20 PM
I just bought one last week, so I'll be a little bummed if they release a new one. Especially if they redesign the look! Ahh well, I still have a nice computer. I say yes get the new ones if you can. I mean why not? They'll likely be the same price anyways.

markrivers
Feb 25, 2008, 09:32 PM
just a suggestion.. after purchasing any apple product ( even if it's a gift card ):D...i STRONGLY suggest you stay away from this FORUM for a month or 2... don't go into any apple store as well...

ENJOY YOUR PURCHASE PEOPLE!! you deserve to be HAPPY... ahhH!:cool:

Cyroceon
Feb 25, 2008, 09:41 PM
just a suggestion.. after purchasing any apple product ( even if it's a gift card ):D...i STRONGLY suggest you stay away from this FORUM for a month or 2... don't go into any apple store as well...

ENJOY YOUR PURCHASE PEOPLE!! you deserve to be HAPPY... ahhH!:cool:

While you make a good point, I am well within my return policy period, and if the update is a drastic one, I might be inclined to switch to the newer one. But once the return policy ends, I will definitely stick with this one, unless I have to sell it.

squeeks
Feb 25, 2008, 09:43 PM
dosent matter, because tomorrow will be a 32gb iphone and 64gb ipod touch

or how about an all silver ipod touch?

...with a scroll wheel?

wvuwhat
Feb 25, 2008, 09:48 PM
Keep my refurb MacBook that was delivered to me Saturday, or should I buy the new one? What do you guys think? I got $150 off the refurb, so it ended up costing me $950 before tax. Since the new ones obviously won't have any refurb models, then I would have to buy it new under education discount. If they aren't changing pricing, that would make the mid-grade MacBook that I got $1299-100=$1199. This would be $250 more than I paid for my MacBook.

Do you guys think that it would be wise to upgrade? What if the update is a simple processor update? Then again, what if it was aluminum case, multi touch trackpad, thinner, lighter, better processor, and lets say double the ram out of the box? This puts me in a position that I don't necessarily want to be in, however, I do have options because I'm still well within my 14 day return period. Any advice?

If they were to "Aluminize" the MacBook my 2.2ghz whitebook would be on eBay faster than a speeding bullet.

markrivers
Feb 25, 2008, 09:50 PM
a lot of people will be happy to have your white macbook.. that's for sure!:D

Cyroceon
Feb 25, 2008, 09:51 PM
If they were to "Aluminize" the MacBook my 2.2ghz whitebook would be on eBay faster than a speeding bullet.

See that's the thing, I'm still within my return policy, so I don't even have to throw it on eBay. I can just return it to them, upgrade, and use Time Machine to recover all the work and stuff I put on here the last three days. I think it might be worth it if the updates are anything substantial.

RatSalad
Feb 25, 2008, 09:54 PM
I am in the same boat. I just got my 2.4 on Saturday. So now I am in the situation if I want to deal with this or not. All I can say is that I can't believe I have gone so long without one.

akadmon
Feb 25, 2008, 09:55 PM
While you make a good point, I am well within my return policy period, and if the update is a drastic one, I might be inclined to switch to the newer one. But once the return policy ends, I will definitely stick with this one, unless I have to sell it.

Why would you have to sell it? :confused:

Cyroceon
Feb 25, 2008, 10:01 PM
Why would you have to sell it? :confused:

By "have" to sell it, I meant feel the need to sell it because the next model is "that" much better.

cwheatley
Feb 25, 2008, 10:13 PM

mine too.

which kinda makes me feel bad, because i haven't even paid this one off yet :rolleyes:

djinn
Feb 25, 2008, 10:15 PM
I did this return process when a better model of my car came out. I went to the dealership and demanded a new one. So they exchanged it. So I even tried it with my house! OMFG they exchanged it to a big and better model. So I'm visiting the idea about my wife. Why shouldn't it work? Upgrade to a new and better wife! ;)

Just keep it. :)

murc585
Feb 25, 2008, 10:18 PM
I just bought my macbook 3 weeks ago. is there any way i can return it for the new ones?

markrivers
Feb 25, 2008, 10:18 PM
I did this return process when a better model of my car came out. I went to the dealership and demanded a new one. So they exchanged it. So I even tried it with my house! OMFG they exchanged it to a big and better model. So I'm visiting the idea about my wife. Why shouldn't it work? Upgrade to a new and better wife! ;)

Just keep it. :)

sounds like a TV commercial i just saw..:D

stevegmu
Feb 25, 2008, 10:21 PM
Take it back, and wait 6 months for the next update.

djinn
Feb 25, 2008, 10:21 PM
I just bought my macbook 3 weeks ago. is there any way i can return it for the new ones?

14 day return policy.

QCassidy352
Feb 25, 2008, 10:22 PM

no, you're outside the 14 day window. Sorry... but at least you still have an awesome computer. :)

markrivers
Feb 25, 2008, 10:23 PM
14 day return policy.

you can sell it for 800.. FAST!

now you're thinking!:D

djinn
Feb 25, 2008, 10:25 PM
Better hit up ebay and list fast before the new release is announced.

ntrigue
Feb 25, 2008, 10:27 PM
How can we help you make a decision without any information?

We do not know a single pertinent detail regarding the Macbook's that MAY arrive tomorrow.

I would say if it added an hour of battery life while increasing the processor 5-10% then sure make arrangements to sell to someone naive.

Kalafut
Feb 25, 2008, 10:28 PM
I just bought one last week, so I'll be a little bummed if they release a new one. Especially if they redesign the look! Ahh well, I still have a nice computer. I say yes get the new ones if you can. I mean why not? They'll likely be the same price anyways.

i have a friend who bought a macbook like days before the new macbook came out, when it did, he called apple and they replaced the ibook with the macbook. so you can try that out.

murc585
Feb 25, 2008, 10:28 PM
don;t i get a month or something but have to pay something like $180. If its only an upgrade to penryn and multitouch its not worth the trouble of selling ti.

markrivers
Feb 25, 2008, 10:30 PM
How can we help you make a decision without any information?

We do not know a single pertinent detail regarding the Macbook's that MAY arrive tomorrow.

I would say if it added an hour of battery life while increasing the processor 5-10% then sure make arrangements to sell to someone naive.

sell it! sell it! sell it! 800 going once!:D
i can imagine the torture you're feeling right now..
seriously.. do you really need the Newest? any software you're using right now that will benefit with your upgrade?

djinn
Feb 25, 2008, 10:32 PM
I offer $20 bucks! :cool:

markrivers
Feb 25, 2008, 10:36 PM
if everything has a 14 days return policy... including having kids...:eek: imagine how many children get returned everyday.. this boy poops too much!! this girl cries like there's no tomorrow.. this one is not cute enough!

oh GOD! You're Smart!

Bobioden
Feb 25, 2008, 10:53 PM
See that's the thing, I'm still within my return policy, so I don't even have to throw it on eBay. I can just return it to them, upgrade, and use Time Machine to recover all the work and stuff I put on here the last three days. I think it might be worth it if the updates are anything substantial.

Return it to them, AND pay the restocking fee.

PhaserFuzz
Feb 26, 2008, 12:17 AM
How much would a restocking fee be if I returned my $1300 macbook?

scotty56
Feb 26, 2008, 12:19 AM
If its 10%, then it would be $130.

PhaserFuzz
Feb 26, 2008, 12:28 AM
It's 15%, but I think the price would be worth it if new models are greatly improved. So do I just put the computer and all components in box and take it to store with receipt? I bought it last Tuesday, so I have like 30 gigs of music in it and some files. Should I delete everything or will the store wipe it clean?

MacBookJoePro
Feb 26, 2008, 02:16 AM
It's 15%, but I think the price would be worth it if new models are greatly improved. So do I just put the computer and all components in box and take it to store with receipt? I bought it last Tuesday, so I have like 30 gigs of music in it and some files. Should I delete everything or will the store wipe it clean?

15%? On my receipt it says 10%. Maybe its different? I'm located in the Bay Area, CA so maybe our tax causes it to be less. hehe. Just bring everything that the computer came with. When I had my MBP exchanged last week, bad trackpad, i just moved my docs and apps to the trash then emptied it. I'm sure there is some standard procedure they go through with returned laptops. Unless you have super important secret info then it isn't really necessary to do a 7-pass delete system on your HDD.

Regardless of what is updated on tomorrow, i'm switching out my MBP for a new one, cuz my 'c' key is busted. This is my second MBP with problems. 3rd times the charm.

-JoE

thechef
Feb 26, 2008, 03:06 AM
I just bought the 2.0ghz MacBook and got it delivered from the Apple UK Online store. If the MacBooks are updated today would I be able to return it for the updated model? I have had it for less than 7 days!

drainey
Feb 26, 2008, 04:50 AM
i got a macbook more than 14 days ago but the first one had a dodgy screen and had to be replaced, the second one came with a new invoice which says order date 18th feb, wonder would i be able to change it if a new one appears and pay the restock fee?

Udinpetot
Feb 26, 2008, 04:55 AM

can any1 tell me about return policy
i bought my macbook less then 2 weeks ago..
is it still under retrun policy?
its already being repaired now because of hard disk faulty... :(
do i have to pay anythin?

Cyroceon
Feb 26, 2008, 06:15 AM
Return it to them, AND pay the restocking fee.

1. I don't think there is a restocking fee on mine, since it was refurb.
2. If the upgrade is something small and incremental, like say processor, double memory, and multitouch; I still won't do it because I don't care about small processor difference, already have 2.5GB and only paid $1010 USD (before tax) for all that, and memory from Newegg.

So all in all, I'm satisfied with my purchase, and this coming update would have to be seriously large, meaning "he needs to make a keynote" large in order to get me to shell out $250 extra for something that I already have pretty much the best of what I could want. I would need to see aluminum casing, multi touch, processor upgrade, memory upgrade, thinner, maybe lighter, etc... It basically has to become a different machine for me to justify upgrading.

Jeremy1026
Feb 26, 2008, 07:13 AM
I know, I know, but I just want to be ready. I will be on the phone with Apple if the circumstances put me in that position. I have a side question though. I have backed up everything on Time Machine. If I get a new MacBook, when it boots up it will ask me to import right? What will happen? Will it basically mirror my current setup? How about my programs, settings, programs I've installed, etc...?

Yes, just plug in your external drive and tell it to Restore From Time Machine Back-Up. Let it sit for 2-3 hours (depending how much data you have on it) and you will have an exact clone of your old Mac. Worked like a charm for me when I had to return my MacBook with keyboard issues.

Cyroceon
Feb 26, 2008, 07:46 AM
So, now my question is raised again. The upgrade was only processor, memory and hd. I got 2.2Ghz with 2.5GB of memory and 120GB, which is enough, for $1010 before tax. Should I upgrade and return my memory, return my refurb MacBook, spend $190 more and get a HE discounted new MB?

econ05
Feb 26, 2008, 08:26 AM
I am in the same boat as Cryoecon. I just got a refurbed blackbook delivered on Saturday so I am still within the return window. I'm wondering whether it would be worth it to return it and buy a new one with the education discount. The extra cost would be $100 plus any restocking fee (do they have those for refurbished computers?) plus I guess the cost of shipping my current blackbook back to Apple. The bump in RAM is not a huge deal, as I was going to add cheap RAM from Newegg anyway (and since I would have to take a 1GB stick out of the new one rather than a 512MB stick, the net bump would only be 0.5GB). The larger hard drive would be nice, but again not critical, as I have a desktop that I use for main storage. The main thing is the upgrade of the CPU to Penryn. Is it worth the money for the change to 2.4GHz/3MB L2 cache? Note that although it is faster, it actually has a smaller L2 cache than my current processor (4MB). So I think I've pretty much answered my own question -- it's not worth the extra money and hassle of exchanging my blackbook for a new one. Is there anything important that I'm not thinking of, though? Will the resale value be significantly hurt because it's an "older generation" (not that I want to think about resale value when I just got this computer, but it may be a consideration)?

mheaford
Feb 26, 2008, 08:56 AM
I am in the same boat as Cryoecon. I just got a refurbed blackbook delivered on Saturday so I am still within the return window. I'm wondering whether it would be worth it to return it and buy a new one with the education discount. The extra cost would be $100 plus any restocking fee (do they have those for refurbished computers?) plus I guess the cost of shipping my current blackbook back to Apple. The bump in RAM is not a huge deal, as I was going to add cheap RAM from Newegg anyway (and since I would have to take a 1GB stick out of the new one rather than a 512MB stick, the net bump would only be 0.5GB). The larger hard drive would be nice, but again not critical, as I have a desktop that I use for main storage. The main thing is the upgrade of the CPU to Penryn. Is it worth the money for the change to 2.4GHz/3MB L2 cache? Note that although it is faster, it actually has a smaller L2 cache than my current processor (4MB). So I think I've pretty much answered my own question -- it's not worth the extra money and hassle of exchanging my blackbook for a new one. Is there anything important that I'm not thinking of, though? Will the resale value be significantly hurt because it's an "older generation" (not that I want to think about resale value when I just got this computer, but it may be a consideration)?

I only got my 2.2GHz Macbook last Friday and have decided to stick with it for the following reasons.

1. Not convinced that the increase in processor speed would be that noticable.
2. Don't care about extra RAM as I am planning to max it out a 4GB anyway from a 3rd party.
3. Don't care about the bigger hardrive as I have a 320GB one being delivered today.
4. I plan on hooking it up to my TV and make use of Front Row so like the remote which is a 15 extra on a new Macbook.
5. I got a free (after rebate) 60 printer which is no longer available with the new Macbooks.
6. It's my first Mac and I don't really want to be without it now I have it! I also don't want the hassle of sending it back and wouldn't stomach the restocking fee (which I could maybe get out of) for not much gain.

djinn
Feb 26, 2008, 08:58 AM
Good thinking!

And thats lame of Apple to charge for the Remote.

Cyroceon
Feb 26, 2008, 09:06 AM
I've decided that it just isn't worth it. I dont need the hd space and I already have more ram. Processor is just not enough.

I only got my 2.2GHz Macbook last Friday and have decided to stick with it for the following reasons.

2. Don't care about extra RAM as I am planning to max it out a 4GB anyway from a 3rd party.
3. Don't care about the bigger hardrive as I have a 320GB one being delivered today.
4. I plan on hooking it up to my TV and make use of Front Row so like the remote which is a 15 extra on a new Macbook.
5. I got a free (after rebate) 60 printer which is no longer available with the new Macbooks.
6. It's my first Mac and I don't really want to be without it now I have it! I also don't want the hassle of sending it back and wouldn't stomach the restocking fee (which I could maybe get out of) for not much gain.

For the extra money I would spend, I could get a 200 GB 7200 RPM HD, and another 2GB stick of ram. So, my answer to updating is a big fat NO! ;) :apple:

EdwardsNH
Feb 26, 2008, 10:43 AM
Personally, I'm waiting for Montevina to hit the Macbooks before I buy my first Macbook.

What do we think... November?

machanback
Feb 26, 2008, 12:11 PM

Agree on all points.. I just got mine last thursday. Too in love right now to exchange. But we are talking about adding another machine to the household in a few months, so maybe then.;)

xraydoc
Feb 26, 2008, 12:28 PM
My 2.2GHz black MacBook is 16 days old, but I've decided not to bother trying to get it exchanged.

• Its already upgraded to 4GB of RAM, so there's no net savings there.

•While the processor may be slightly faster - even if its 10% faster - I'm not sure I'd see any difference, since all I do on the laptop is text editing, Keynote, Omnigraffle, etc. Any video encoding I may do is done on my desktop Mac Pro anyway.

•Finally have my Boot Camp Windows partition running the way I want; really don't want to have to reinstall farking Windows yet again.

•Haven't filled the 160GB HD on my laptop as it is. By the time I'd need 250GB, I'd likely be better served by a 320GB or 500GB drive. Or perhaps 128+ GB SSDs will be more reasonable in price.

If the new machine used a newer integrated graphics core, then perhaps I'd be more interested in exchanging it. But for now, since its working just the way I like it, I think I'll keep what I've got. Remember - the enemy of "good" is "better."

mheaford
Feb 26, 2008, 12:59 PM
Agree on all points.. I just got mine last thursday. Too in love right now to exchange. But we are talking about adding another machine to the household in a few months, so maybe then.;)

OK, I have a confession, after making all those points you agreed with I went and called Apple. They offered me a full refund without any restocking fees and I went ahead and ordered an updated one. I know I shouldn't have but figured why not. I thought I haven't bought the RAM yet so maybe 2GB will be all I need for what I do (nothing intense!). I hate having to pay for the remote but I don't need to be without a Macbook though as the new one should be here before they pick this one up.

Got my 320GB drive tonight so will clone this one to it and hopefully just be able to pop that drive in when the new one arrives.

thechef
Feb 26, 2008, 03:55 PM
OK, I have a confession, after making all those points you agreed with I went and called Apple. They offered me a full refund without any restocking fees and I went ahead and ordered an updated one. I know I shouldn't have but figured why not. I thought I haven't bought the RAM yet so maybe 2GB will be all I need for what I do (nothing intense!). I hate having to pay for the remote but I don't need to be without a Macbook though as the new one should be here before they pick this one up.

Got my 320GB drive tonight so will clone this one to it and hopefully just be able to pop that drive in when the new one arrives.

I did the same as you earlier today and got Apple to replace my 2.0ghz MacBook that I got on Wednesday last week. I didn't have to pay any fees either.

I'm going to wait a while before upgrading the RAM to 2GB. Will the ram be any different from the Santa Rosa models?