PDA

View Full Version : Can I swap a iMac G3's motherboard?

EddyC30
Feb 26, 2008, 06:29 PM
I have a 400MHz iMac G3 but the CRT stopped working one day and I just got off the phone with a guy who is going to sell me his G3 but the only thing on that iMac that works is the CRT. Can I swap the motherboard on my G3 to the one I'm buying and still have everything work right?

TEG
Feb 26, 2008, 06:33 PM
I have a 400MHz iMac G3 but the CRT stopped working one day and I just got off the phone with a guy who is going to sell me his G3 but the only thing on that iMac that works is the CRT. Can I swap the motherboard on my G3 to the one I'm buying and still have everything work right?

You should be able to, as the screen just connects with the old Apple RGB connector. It may be dangerious with the CRT and all, but for the most part, it should work.

TEG

EddyC30
Feb 26, 2008, 06:41 PM
You should be able to, as the screen just connects with the old Apple RGB connector. It may be dangerious with the CRT and all, but for the most part, it should work.

TEG

Thanks. Also can I swap the hard drive with Panther on it to the new iMac without having to do anything else?

TEG
Feb 26, 2008, 07:16 PM
Yes.

TEG

EddyC30
Feb 26, 2008, 07:29 PM
Yes.

TEG
Thank you very much

g-7
Feb 27, 2008, 12:20 PM

Replacing the motherboard with another one that has the same CPU is possible,
but if you wish to put 600Mhz motherboard into 400Mhz iMac G3, it won't fit.
You would have to prepare a CPU radiator by yourself.

You might find this document useful: http://www.scribd.com/doc/103447/iMac-G3-Disassembly-Guide

Good luck :)