Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Digidesign will be announcing Leopard compatibility for Pro Tools LE very shortly and I would like to purchase a macbook for use with an mbox 2 or 003 rack for recording audio. With both products an external fire wire hard drive for recording audio is a requirement.

Some fire wire audio interfaces are experiencing problems with the newer macbooks which have the Lucent or Agere fire wire chipsets. What has been reported on a another forum is that these chip sets cause the fire wire interfaces to issue a fire wire bus reset shortly after start of data transmission. For detailed information please see the link below.

http://www.gearspace.com/board/musi...-mean-trouble-built-after-october-2007-a.html

To those of you who were able to purchase your new macbooks yesterday the way to determine what fire wire chip set is By pressing "Command-S" (single user mode) while booting you can see the information about half way down the page.

Could someone please check to see which fire wire chipsets are being supplied in the new macbooks?

Thank you

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I just went to the Glasgow Apple store and checked...

Lucent 5811 on all Macbooks and TI 8025 on the pros.

Did you go round rebooting all the machines into single user, or is there a quicker way of checking?

Are there issues with the TI 8025, anyone know?

mos6502

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2007
From what I've read, TI chipsets are the recommended option, it's one of the reason I decided on a penryn MBP...

sbebble

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
I just went to the Glasgow Apple store and checked...

Lucent 5811 on all Macbooks and TI 8025 on the pros.

Tremendous, thanks for checking that out. It's a huge deal. I'm very happy for your finding on the MBP but also puzzled. Did Apple acknowledge the issues and switch back for these? I'd be impressed by that if it's the case.

bbass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Macbook Fire Wire Chipset & Pro Tools LE?

Thank you for taking the time to check the fire wire chipsets.

To all of you computer experts can a fire wire bus reset shortly after start of data transmission be corrected with a driver update?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.