PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to pull the RAM out that I installed before getting service?

Commodore
Feb 28, 2008, 05:03 PM
So I have a phenomenally frustrating issue. Five of my keys do not work. I have to use the on-screen keyboard for those letters. I have a Genius Bar appointment for tomorrow. Do I have to replace the 2 GB of RAM that I put in myself with the 1 GB that it came with before going to the Apple Store? Because that would be a PITA... Thanks.

MacRumorUser
Feb 28, 2008, 05:04 PM
PITA? Why ?

Takes all of couple of minutes and involves 3 screws ?

Just take the original ram with you.

EricNau
Feb 28, 2008, 05:05 PM
Generally, no unless it's a problem they could possibly blame on bad 3rd party RAM. This shouldn't be a problem in your case, however.

f1
Feb 28, 2008, 05:07 PM
No you do not. THe RAM on a macbook is a user replacable part, and Apple does not care if you have third party RAM in it; they just won't service your computer if it's a RAM related issue which in this case i highly doubt it is.

Commodore
Feb 28, 2008, 05:11 PM
PITA? Why ?

Takes all of couple of minutes and involves 3 screws ?

Just take the original ram with you.
Seating that damn bracket in the right spot so it closes properly is not easy. And getting the screws in and out is not a quick task. The whole process takes more than a couple of minutes.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll leave it in.

Commodore
Feb 28, 2008, 05:14 PM
Another question: what am I likely to hear tomorrow when I take it in? I'm a grad student, and I have a huge two-day exam next week. I really can't be without my computer between now and then. Is there any possibility they will replace it on the spot and be done with it?

EricNau
Feb 28, 2008, 05:29 PM
Another question: what am I likely to hear tomorrow when I take it in? I'm a grad student, and I have a huge two-day exam next week. I really can't be without my computer between now and then. Is there any possibility they will replace it on the spot and be done with it?
No, computers are rarely replaced, especially on the first visit.

If the computer can be fixed in a reasonable amount of time they'll make the repairs while you wait; if the problem requires more extensive attention and/or time they make have it for as long as a week.

If they decide it will require an overnight/multi-day stay, you'll have the option to take the computer back home and come back for the repairs later.

Commodore
Feb 28, 2008, 05:32 PM

If the computer can be fixed in a reasonable amount of time they'll make the repairs while you wait; if the problem requires more extensive attention and/or time they make have it for as long as a week.

If they decide it will require an overnight/multi-day stay, you'll have the option to take the computer back home and come back for the repairs later.
I meant "replace the keyboard." Hopefully that will be considered something that can be fixed in a "reasonable amount of time."

EricNau
Feb 28, 2008, 05:35 PM
I meant "replace the keyboard." Hopefully that will be considered something that can be fixed in a "reasonable amount of time."
Then yes, there shouldn't be a problem with a same-day repair.

tdhurst
Feb 28, 2008, 05:36 PM
Be honest about the problem with them. Ask nicely. Grovel a little.

All three will help in getting the problem fixed quicker.

Just don't demand things or be a jerk. It will only make things worse.

coltks2004
Feb 28, 2008, 11:40 PM

I was having problems with the keyboard on my new Macbook that I got at the beginning of the month. I called apple care for the first time and they are replacing it with a new updated macbook. I love apple's customer service!