PDA

View Full Version : RAM update provides definite boost

AuburnTiger
Feb 28, 2008, 07:46 PM
Just received my new Macbook yesterday, and today I doubled the RAM from 1gig to 2gigs. Definitely a noticeable difference, especially in things like iChat video. That's all; just wanted to share.

MacDann
Feb 28, 2008, 07:59 PM
An increase in RAM is usually the best bang for your buck performance-wise, especially with the way RAM prices have been in the dumps these days....

MacDann

karenflower
Feb 28, 2008, 08:12 PM
Excellent, I'm also going to be upgrading to 2gb soon. :D

scotty56
Feb 28, 2008, 08:46 PM
Just updated last week, and got an amazing deal from my friend who was upgrading to 4gigs on his MBP. Gave me his old 2x1 gig sticks for free! Anyway, I too noticed ichat, garageband and Microsoft office were noticeably snappier.

honeycrisp
Feb 29, 2008, 01:15 AM
Just received my new Macbook yesterday, and today I doubled the RAM from 1gig to 2gigs. Definitely a noticeable difference, especially in things like iChat video. That's all; just wanted to share.

I agree, just did the same thing. MS Office 2004 is WAAAAY better now...

AuburnTiger
Feb 29, 2008, 12:46 PM
I agree, just did the same thing. MS Office 2004 is WAAAAY better now...

I still haven't tested out a lot of the apps, considering I've only had it for 2 days. I don't have Office anyway, but did get iWork '08 preinstalled. I used Pages on my old iBook and liked it!

Macnificant
Feb 29, 2008, 01:27 PM
I still haven't tested out a lot of the apps, considering I've only had it for 2 days. I don't have Office anyway, but did get iWork '08 preinstalled. I used Pages on my old iBook and liked it!

The Blackbook I am going to buy comes with 2 GB of RAM and I want to up grade to 4 GB of RAM. My question is!!
Do I need to buy 2 x 2GB of RAM and repleace the RAM it comes with?

AuburnTiger
Feb 29, 2008, 01:53 PM
The Blackbook I am going to buy comes with 2 GB of RAM and I want to up grade to 4 GB of RAM. My question is!!

What do you plan on doing with your Blackbook? It cost me $43 for my 2GB upgrade, while the cost for 4GB was $105 or so. Why not shell out the extra money and go for 4GB? I just don't think the things I do on my Macbook justify the extra memory. Besides, that $60 buys me things like food. :)

Stuart in Oz
Mar 1, 2008, 03:46 PM
Question - is the jump from 2gig to 4 as dramatic as the one from 1gig to 2?

I've got two macbooks in the family, one of which I upgraded from 1gig to 2 and the difference was considerable.

Is the increase to 4gig just as dramatic? Is it worth the money? I do like to video edit & play strategy games like Sim City and the like.

sculptor
Mar 2, 2008, 02:05 PM

I've got two macbooks in the family, one of which I upgraded from 1gig to 2 and the difference was considerable.

Is the increase to 4gig just as dramatic? Is it worth the money? I do like to video edit & play strategy games like Sim City and the like.

I have not tried the games, only have had my macbook since tuesday, but I did install VMware and Ubuntu, and I was using most of the RAM at that point (I have 2Gigs), so I guess if your using virtualization then the max RAM would probably help, especially during installation. I haven't used VMware that much, so I don't know how much it takes during normal use.

........Curtis

.adam
Mar 3, 2008, 04:52 AM

Yep. Two banks, each can take a maximum of 2GB. Therefore for 4GB RAM you need to remove your 2x1GB and replace them with 2x2GB. Put you 1GB sticks on Ebay, you'll get a few quid for them and it'll reduce the price of your upgrade!

Enjoy the performance upgrade!

PMR
Mar 3, 2008, 09:13 AM

If you're into editing in HD; pics with PS, Lightroom and InDesign open at once or editing many huge files the jump for 4GB worths all the money. And if you are a Parallels user this also applies.
For basic video/photo editing and games 2GB are enough, unless you run 20 apps at the same time :)