Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TopGear300

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
Hello there!

If you check any of my other thread's you will see that I have been in the market for an :apple: PowerBook! I own a new iMac and am in love with it, I just really want the PowerBook for the wireless. Jumping online and writing documents not stuck up in a dark gloomy office is what Im after here so after long search I found this:

A 15.2" PowerBook runnin at 1.25 ghz with a G4
768 mb of memory
A SuperDrive
A BackLit keyboard (which Im just in love with :D:D)
Original powercable
Says the battery will hold about a 2-2.5 hour charge

Now heres the catch:
It had a 80gb hdd but it crashed and the owner had to put in a 20 gb hdd due to $$$ problems? He says it runs fine now, should I be worried?
He also does not have the original box.

But thats it!?! Nothing else I can think of worries me! He had it on eBay but no one bought it, only had a few pictures on the original listing and have requested a few more pics. He said he will send them ASAP and just reassures me that it has the usual wear and tear and thats it ( never dropped, etc...)

What do you guys think?? Should I be asking to see anything else or want to know anything else before the purchase??? Should I go for it??

THANKS GUYS!! :apple:

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Wow that's a really good price! You could probably throw a new 80GB hard drive for less than $60.

TopGear300

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
THANKS!!!

Im going to wait to see the pics but I can see what will stop me from buying it other than any unusual gouges or slices in it! I did plan on upgrading it to at least an original 80gb HDD!

Do you guys think I should try and talk him down on the price a little?

I want t buy it a new HDD (min $60/min 80gb) A new battery ( found a brand new one on eBay for $60), I would also like to put more memory in it, I want one 1 gb chip in their (and asuming that 768 is in their means a 512mb and a 256mb chip is in thier I will be running 1gb and a keep the 512mb. I will also throw either leopard or tiger on there which I have both of the instal discs but he dosent know that :D:D so I can say im dropping $129 their as well!!

Any input appreciated!!!
:apple:

TopGear300

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
Straight to the Point

Hahaha well I can't argue with that logic!

What should a laptop like this normally go for?
:apple:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't know the details, but if you want to work wirelessly, I'd get a new battery, harddisk, and more RAM. I owned a 1.0 GHz 12" PowerBook with 1.25 GB of RAM, and I think you'd need at least that much RAM. Like you said, that may cost another $250 or so.

But after adding those costs in, you have to ask yourself whether its better just to buy a newer laptop that comes with all this stuff standard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.