PDA

View Full Version : MacBook: White vs Black

macrockbuddy
Mar 1, 2008, 12:55 AM
All prices are using education discount. Midrange MacBook (white) costs $1199. Next upgrade is Blackbook for $1399. My only question is why not buy midrange and pay the extra $90 for 250GB HD upgrade and get exact same specs as BlackBook for $110 dollars cheaper. Are people really willing to pay $110 for a color.

PhaserFuzz
Mar 1, 2008, 01:00 AM
Simple answer: Yes.

Luzzio
Mar 1, 2008, 01:17 AM
Edit: Mistake with pricing.

I wouldn't. Would love to be able to splurge that much on pure aesthatics, but wouldn't.

Macintosh Sauce
Mar 1, 2008, 01:18 AM
I would get the white MacBook if it had the same matte finish as the black MacBook. That scratchy plastic is crap IMO...

macrockbuddy
Mar 1, 2008, 01:42 AM
from what I can tell (very limited experience), black shows grease and fingerprints, and if not taken care of white shows scratches. Why not pay less & have less routine maintenance. This is all speculation, just looking for answers. Thanks

Beowulf666
Mar 1, 2008, 01:47 AM
Well as dumb as it might sound paying an extra $150 or however much it is for a black laptop, think about this, people buy clothes with a check mark or the letters "AE" written on them, and pay an extra $50-100 more. Does it really change the way you wear it or how it feels? no, it just matters about how it looks, and people are willing to pay more just for the satisfaction of having a product that looks better.

cohibadad
Mar 1, 2008, 01:50 AM
Black is cool. I think if standard color was black white would then be cool.

Arthur Young
Mar 1, 2008, 01:55 AM
i think it for people that want other people to know they spend 1400 for it and no cheaper.

macrockbuddy
Mar 1, 2008, 01:58 AM
Well as dumb as it might sound paying an extra $150 or however much it is for a black laptop, think about this, people buy clothes with a check mark or the letters "AE" written on them, and pay an extra $50-100 more. Does it really change the way you wear it or how it feels? no, it just matters about how it looks, and people are willing to pay more just for the satisfaction of having a product that looks better.

So BlackBooks are a fad and those who own em are like those lil Abercrombie models only for Apple.

Beowulf666
Mar 1, 2008, 02:06 AM
So BlackBooks are a fad and those who own em are like those lil Abercrombie models only for Apple.

sure why not? it really makes no difference to me.

macrockbuddy
Mar 1, 2008, 02:30 AM
This is not what I meant for this thread. Didnt mean to bash blackbook owners (sorry). Just wanted to know if there was a reason for the price difference.

sparkyms
Mar 1, 2008, 04:37 AM
Not really, other than the BlackBook gets a higher spec as standard.. but yeah, you pay more for the colour. The finish on the BlackBook is also different but I dunno if you can actually justify the price difference through that alone.

I'll admit, I paid the extra, I wanted a macbook, but I didn't actually like the white plastic-y finish of the white macbook, the Black one looked a hell of a lot nicer if you ask me.

weizilla
Mar 1, 2008, 07:48 AM
i just bought a blackbook and absolutely love it. i really didn't like the way the white one looked and thought the black was at least 100x better looking. my reasoning part of the reason i'm getting a macbook is for the looks so i could either pay $1300 for a computer i sort of liked or $1500 for a computer i absolutely love. plus i'm going to be using the computer all the time for the next few years so whatever you do, get something you won't regret later on. i have no regrets whatsoever about my decision.

they're not really a fad. just think of them as another BTO option. and all apple products have a big apple logo on them so we're all pretty much "lil Abercrombie models" :p

sellitman
Mar 1, 2008, 08:59 AM
For the same or close to the same amount of a "Blackbook" I would buy a Reconditioned Pro instead.

zelmo
Mar 1, 2008, 09:06 AM
We got our daughter a rev A Blackbook for HS graduation/college. I wanted to get her the white one but I finally realized that if she keeps it for four years it was worth spending an extra $100 or so beyond equivalent spec to make her that much more satisfied every time she looked at it.
Surprisingly [for my tech-destroying daughter], she has kept in in remarkable shape for almost two years now, as she proudly points out to me every time she comes home from school.

Hankster
Mar 1, 2008, 09:34 AM
Some people really prefer black laptops. Some people just don't care for the white color, and if you plan on using your MB you may as well get one in a color you want. I have the white MB and love it, I wouldn't get the black one just because I don't need the specs and from what I've seen the black one gets dirtier faster. I wipe down my white MB every few days with a alcohol wipe and it stays clean.

seattle
Mar 1, 2008, 09:38 AM
I just got a refurb black MacBook and the price was only $50 more than the white model plus it has a larger hard drive. If I would have bought a new one I most likely would have bought a white one.

canucks-17
Mar 1, 2008, 09:45 AM
Why not pay less & have less routine maintenance.

The maintenance is not less IMO. The black one shows grease, yes, but I have had a lot of problems keeping my White MB clean. The magic eraser does the trick but my friend has the black one and doesn't ever need to clean it or worry about scuffs. It does also look sharper IMO. Just my $.02.

CaptainCaveMann
Mar 1, 2008, 11:02 AM
Go for the black one! It looks cooler, and comes with a bigger hard drive.

SFStateStudent
Mar 1, 2008, 11:56 AM
I've experienced both sides of the fence and there seems to be greener pastures on both sides! I bought my White MB, which had the same specs as the BlackBook, but was $300 cheaper with the education discount. I went the next couple of months having my friends commenting on my "feminine-side" and my White MB looked really "cute!" Recently, I went through airport security and the "dorks" playing TSA security rubbed my White MB with their reddish/pinkish cloths and left a couple of smudges near the touchpad and spacebar, and it took several wipe-downs and scrubbings with iKlear and the polishing cloth to remove it. Well, just 3-days ago, I switched-out to the new BlackBook 2.4 Penryn 250GB, only because the Apple Store didn't have the White MB configured to my specs, but the BlackBook did, so I chose the BlackBook and walked out of the Store with BlackBook in hand, while NOT having to pay the $300 difference. The Apple Store Manager wanted to make my shopping experience enjoyable, and not have me come back to pick-up my White MB in about 2-3 days. Now that's CUSTOMER SERVICE! Anyway, day 3 of BlackBook has been uneventful; I wipe my BlackBook down as if it was my iPhone; which is about 10X a day, (obsessive compulsive in a good way?) but the extra space on my hard drive is just sitting there staring back at me, wondering when I'm going to utilize his/her remaining 198GB. The BlackBook is faster, the keyboard is a dream come true, and the wireless seems to connect faster and locate more wireless connections wherever I go, and it looks "snappy and sleek" as some of my friends have described. Yes, The DARKSIDE is my future and now I'm getting all the Star Wars comments thrown at me like spare change in front of the local Starbucks! I miss my White MB, but that's only because I babied it and when I turned it over to the Apple Store Manager, it was described as "Immaculate" and "Clean" by the SM and the Genuis' hopefully I can do the same justice to my new BlackBook. PM me if you have any other questions or comments. :p

hexonxonx
Mar 1, 2008, 12:34 PM
I'm going to BestBuy tomorrow night to get a MacBook.

I had my mind all set on getting a Black one but then I was noticing the only difference between the middle MB and the black one was the hard drive.

Then I noticed that BestBuy was selling all three old MacBooks for $999, $1049 and the Black for $1099 and almost made up my mind to buy one. Then I realized that I really do want to buy one of the new ones. I then made up my mind to buy the white one for $1299 but then now after reading this thread, I do want the black one again but then the white one could be cheaper and do I really care about the smaller drive?

Ok fine. I'll go down and just look at them Sunday and then decide. :D Either way, I'll be coming home with one so that my MBP can have a friend to play with when I'm not home. :)

....and then I can finally dump my windows machines. :)

SFStateStudent
Mar 1, 2008, 12:45 PM
Ok fine. I'll go down and just look at them Sunday and then decide. :D Either way, I'll be coming home with one so that my MBP can have a friend to play with when I'm not home. :)

....and then I can finally dump my windows machines. :)

'cause I went through the same dilemma just three days ago, with the exception of the MBA as another alternative. Good Luck with your purchase on Sunday. :cool:

Akula971
Mar 1, 2008, 12:53 PM
I just bought a Black one too. No regrets, the white one looked a bit plasticy, and really stood out a bit too much. I paid the extra for the black and needed the extra disk space too. Sure I could have bought a white one and upgraded the HD myself, but quite honestly for me time is more important than a few pounds. If you are short of a few bob, get what you can. Same applies to cars, you only need a very basic model to get from A to B, but people like to be different, so they might buy a Merc or BMV when really all they need is a Skoda.

I suppose what we people are telling the rest of the world is that we have considerably more money than you! (Harry Enfield character)

And do remember:- Flash the cash, get the gash!

NC MacGuy
Mar 1, 2008, 12:58 PM
White seems to wear better over time. My black has a shiny trackpad, keys and wrist area after a years heavy use. It also shows lots of fingerprints as stated above. Small scratches at least can be buffed out w. white and show up less than greasy prints IMO.

Jpoon
Mar 1, 2008, 01:28 PM
Do they sell the magic erasers at Apple stores?
I'll have to stop by the Memphis location to pick it up if they do.

NC MacGuy
Mar 1, 2008, 01:32 PM
Do they sell the magic erasers at Apple stores?
I'll have to stop by the Memphis location to pick it up if they do.

Magic erasers are sold at any grocery store and many convenience stores. They are made by Mr. Clean - the bald guy.. Go to cleaning supplies isle.

QCassidy352
Mar 1, 2008, 02:40 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I just sold a whitebook and bought a refurb blackbook, and I really do prefer the black quite a bit. The white is so hard to keep looking shiny and new, and I also like the matte case on the black. (btw... Once they're refurbs, the price difference drops to $50, which is worth it for the HD upgrade alone)

Bobioden
Mar 1, 2008, 02:50 PM
For me, there was NO option. I know me and anything White, we just do not get along. I am not fond of the smudges the Blackbook gets, but it is worth it as I know the White would have driven me nuts after a few hours.

AuburnTiger
Mar 1, 2008, 02:56 PM
Do people really look at me and my white Macbook and think me feminine?

But all the ladies LOVE my computer! :confused:

angrygolfer
Mar 1, 2008, 03:14 PM
Do people really look at me and my white Macbook and think me feminine?

But all the ladies LOVE my computer! :confused:

Unfortunately yes. I bought a black one last wednesday and to me it's well worth the extra dough, especially for the disk space. I'm loving having 150GB still free with having EVERYTHING I could want on this thing!

brop52
Mar 1, 2008, 04:20 PM
Unfortunately yes. I bought a black one last wednesday and to me it's well worth the extra dough, especially for the disk space. I'm loving having 150GB still free with having EVERYTHING I could want on this thing!

BTO or crack it open and put a larger HDD into the midrange white.

markrivers
Mar 1, 2008, 04:46 PM
white mid range, then upgrade the RAM and the HDD to 250

Full of Win
Mar 2, 2008, 03:11 PM
IMHO...with the cash saved, you can upgrade the WhiteBook (for want of a better term) to 4 GB RAM and a 7200 RPM Drive.

Personally, I'm not using mine in public, so my care of color is less than others. If I were to use it in public, I would have gone with the MacBook Pro. Someting about a white laptop...well, its like a guy wearing a pink shirt.

TravisReynolds
Mar 2, 2008, 04:14 PM
I actually made that mistake, it's not till now that I wish i could go back and time and save money

cudo
Mar 2, 2008, 05:40 PM
hmm..i am using a whitebook and i am using it in public: uni, library etc and i could not be more happy i just love it and it looks so different than all the standard black-ish laptops but it is just my opinion and one more thing i do not think its guy :D

hexonxonx
Mar 2, 2008, 08:27 PM
I went to BestBuy today with the intentions of either getting a 2.2GHZ MBP since they were being sold at $1699, or a black MacBook Pro.

I played around with the Black MacBook and I wasn't really impressed with the screen quality. Speed wise, it was fine. The colors on the screen though, looked washed out and possible experimenting with color profiles may have fixed it, but I didn't want to find out.

Then..... :eek: out of nowhere came the iMacs :eek: and OMG I had never seen one before. The 24" iMac was TOO HUGE! Extremely nice but I really have no place for it. I like having my printer on my desk and with a 24" screen, there would have been no room for much of anything. I purchased a 20" iMac, 320GB drive and got a stick of 2GB ram to add to the 1GB stick already in there.

The 20" iMac is huge as it is! Now I can finally put my PCs in the closet where they will feel more comfortable in the dark.

I've been waiting for a PC-less day for so long and it is now here!!!!

:apple::apple::apple::apple::D:):cool::apple::apple::apple::apple:

brop52
Mar 3, 2008, 12:20 AM
I went to BestBuy today with the intentions of either getting a 2.2GHZ MBP since they were being sold at $1699, or a black MacBook Pro.

I played around with the Black MacBook and I wasn't really impressed with the screen quality. Speed wise, it was fine. The colors on the screen though, looked washed out and possible experimenting with color profiles may have fixed it, but I didn't want to find out.

Then..... :eek: out of nowhere came the iMacs :eek: and OMG I had never seen one before. The 24" iMac was TOO HUGE! Extremely nice but I really have no place for it. I like having my printer on my desk and with a 24" screen, there would have been no room for much of anything. I purchased a 20" iMac, 320GB drive and got a stick of 2GB ram to add to the 1GB stick already in there.

The 20" iMac is huge as it is! Now I can finally put my PCs in the closet where they will feel more comfortable in the dark.

Congratulations on your purchase. Nice machine isn't it? :)

higgz
Mar 3, 2008, 12:23 AM

They have black MBP's???

powerbook911
Mar 3, 2008, 12:31 AM

Congratulations. I've had the same one since it came out in August with the same amount of memory. It's been a fantastic computer.

someone28624
Mar 3, 2008, 12:42 AM
I won't get black til the blackbook is supplied with a black charger.

hexonxonx
Mar 3, 2008, 02:00 AM
They have black MBP's???

They don't have the new ones in yet but they have the old ones in at discount prices. I think the old ones are discounted about $300.

macrockbuddy
Mar 3, 2008, 02:07 AM
If ur looking for a fashion statement, who else makes a white laptop? W/ a black one ur just like everyone else @ the coffee shop/class room/work. All u see are black laptops. White = Apple in my mind

philos
Mar 3, 2008, 03:41 AM
If ur looking for a fashion statement, who else makes a white laptop? W/ a black one ur just like everyone else @ the coffee shop/class room/work. All u see are black laptops. White = Apple in my mind

^^ Agreed. I'm buying a macbook this week, and have been juggling this in head as well...and I can't help but come to the conclusion that the white is cheaper, more unique (not in comparison to other apple products, but definitely to the rest of the tech world), and easily upgradable to surpass the black's performance. There is no winner here though, it's either white or black. I do believe that either choice will make us happy owners:apple:!

priller
Mar 3, 2008, 05:18 AM

I agree, the black one looks like a cheap pc laptop imo.

neiltc13
Mar 3, 2008, 06:44 AM
I agree, the black one looks like a cheap pc laptop imo.

I think the white definitely looks cheaper than the black. The white is clearly made of plastic and picks up scratches so easily while the black is a much more subtle colour.

macrockbuddy
Mar 3, 2008, 01:20 PM
Yesss. My Macbook just arrived this morning. I'm stuck @ work tho and haven't even gotten to see it yet. I don't care what color it is, it could be pink for all I care. I just wantto get home & play w/ it. (well maybe not pink)

waterskier2007
Mar 3, 2008, 02:08 PM
... Someting about a white laptop...well, its like a guy wearing a pink shirt.

real men wear pink

kamm
Mar 3, 2008, 02:20 PM
The maintenance is not less IMO. The black one shows grease, yes, but I have had a lot of problems keeping my White MB clean. The magic eraser does the trick but my friend has the black one and doesn't ever need to clean it or worry about scuffs. It does also look sharper IMO. Just my $.02.

Actually it got better: my new Penryn-BB is a lot less susceptible for fingerprints than SR one was so it's pretty much no maintenance for BBs, I thimnk.

kamm
Mar 3, 2008, 02:21 PM
real men wear pink

You mean those who cuddle another men when wearing their pink clothes...? ;):D

waterskier2007
Mar 3, 2008, 02:41 PM
You mean those who cuddle another men when wearing their pink clothes...? ;):D

no i mean those that know what girls/chicks/women like, and know how to get with them

Martin C
Mar 3, 2008, 03:22 PM
I think that this video pretty much sums up the issue here...:D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oc4oP_ITqMc

mvaj92
Mar 3, 2008, 06:48 PM
If ur looking for a fashion statement, who else makes a white laptop?

Asus.

SFStateStudent
Mar 3, 2008, 07:11 PM

my side hurts. :D:p

Bobioden
Mar 3, 2008, 08:21 PM
That video was WAY too good.

xraydoc
Mar 3, 2008, 10:40 PM

Bigger hard drive... I run faster, too. Oy vay, that is in no way politically correct. Funny though.

Flowero4ka
Mar 5, 2008, 09:45 AM
All prices are using education discount. Midrange MacBook (white) costs $1199. Next upgrade is Blackbook for $1399. My only question is why not buy midrange and pay the extra $90 for 250GB HD upgrade and get exact same specs as BlackBook for $110 dollars cheaper. Are people really willing to pay $110 for a color.

Really strange and a bit funny, but it's true :)

bluedoggiant
Mar 6, 2008, 08:13 PM
any updates with people with penryn blackbooks? i heard the new blackbooks are different, and i know people have had them for longer now, so any updates on the blackbooks? do they still wear out more easily?

One way to choose is to go to the apple store, and to see the condition of both, chances are your will come NEAR to it, not exactly (since they're treated like crap), but will eventually come to a condition near it, and it will take a while, and then decide which you like. new penryn blackbooks are to be less prone to fingerprints, and the blackbooks dont look THAT bad to the bad compared to the white books that are brown, as in the keyboard, and i'd rather do less maintenance on my laptop, so looks like the black tax is worth it.

HoldFastHope
Mar 6, 2008, 09:53 PM
For current blackbook owners... are the keys made out of a shinier plastic than the rest of the case? I looked at 3 different penryn display models today and all their keys were slightly shinier and looked a bit cheap IMO.

It may be just the demo units though.

weizilla
Mar 6, 2008, 11:08 PM
For current blackbook owners... are the keys made out of a shinier plastic than the rest of the case? I looked at 3 different penryn display models today and all their keys were slightly shinier and looked a bit cheap IMO.

It may be just the demo units though.

actually i just noticed this the other day. I have the new blackbook and i noticed that the keys are shiny plastic instead of the matte plastic used for the apple aluminum desktop keyboard, which felt better. however, this is my first mac computer so i can't help you with a comparison with previous macbooks

steve333
Dec 14, 2008, 06:56 PM
I've experienced both sides of the fence and there seems to be greener pastures on both sides! I bought my White MB, which had the same specs as the BlackBook, but was $300 cheaper with the education discount. I went the next couple of months having my friends commenting on my "feminine-side" and my White MB looked really "cute!" Recently, I went through airport security and the "dorks" playing TSA security rubbed my White MB with their reddish/pinkish cloths and left a couple of smudges near the touchpad and spacebar, and it took several wipe-downs and scrubbings with iKlear and the polishing cloth to remove it. Well, just 3-days ago, I switched-out to the new BlackBook 2.4 Penryn 250GB, only because the Apple Store didn't have the White MB configured to my specs, but the BlackBook did, so I chose the BlackBook and walked out of the Store with BlackBook in hand, while NOT having to pay the $300 difference. The Apple Store Manager wanted to make my shopping experience enjoyable, and not have me come back to pick-up my White MB in about 2-3 days. Now that's CUSTOMER SERVICE! Anyway, day 3 of BlackBook has been uneventful; I wipe my BlackBook down as if it was my iPhone; which is about 10X a day, (obsessive compulsive in a good way?) but the extra space on my hard drive is just sitting there staring back at me, wondering when I'm going to utilize his/her remaining 198GB. The BlackBook is faster, the keyboard is a dream come true, and the wireless seems to connect faster and locate more wireless connections wherever I go, and it looks "snappy and sleek" as some of my friends have described. Yes, The DARKSIDE is my future and now I'm getting all the Star Wars comments thrown at me like spare change in front of the local Starbucks! I miss my White MB, but that's only because I babied it and when I turned it over to the Apple Store Manager, it was described as "Immaculate" and "Clean" by the SM and the Genuis' hopefully I can do the same justice to my new BlackBook. PM me if you have any other questions or comments. :p

Just wondering how your blackbook has held up. Are the greasemarks fom fingers a problem? How about reliability, etc?
Thanks (I know this post was a long time ago, not sure if you're still following it!

SFStateStudent
Dec 14, 2008, 11:50 PM
Just wondering how your blackbook has held up. Are the greasemarks fom fingers a problem? How about reliability, etc?
Thanks (I know this post was a long time ago, not sure if you're still following it!

Actually, I sold my BlackBook this past August '08, and no problems whatsoever. Fingerprint marks were definitely the downside of the BlackBook, but it was the best MB I owned. It cleaned up very well, throughout my ownership, and I ended up selling it to a friend of mine via CL. I purchased a MBA in August '08 and will probably purchase the Rev. B MBA in January '09, since it meets my current needs for the next year or so. I sold my BlackBook for $1350, so the resale price is probably another important factor you might consider...:cool:

hexonxonx
Dec 14, 2008, 11:52 PM
Actually, I sold my BlackBook this past August '08, and no problems whatsoever. Fingerprint marks were definitely the downside of the BlackBook, but it was the best MB I owned. I purchased a MBA in August '08 and will probably purchase the Rev. B MBA in January '09, since it meets my current needs for the next year or so. I sold my BlackBook for $1350, so the resale price is probably also another important factor you might consider...:cool:

Funny you mention selling yours. I sold my four month old BlackBook on eBay for $1450 last August as well. It was a good notebook but I missed having a Windows laptop.

steve333
Dec 15, 2008, 12:09 AM
Wow, great resale value, guys!
I'm trying to decide between the white and black and wonder whether the black frames the screen better.
I also may just wait to see if Apple updates the Mini. I really don't need a laptop I will use it on my desk but I just do not like the iMac-the glass screen annoys me too much.

sangosimo
Dec 15, 2008, 12:10 AM
I like the look of the black book better but I wouldn't mind either

Camoischaos
Dec 16, 2008, 04:21 AM
I go with the white ones for they are "sleek" looking and just look better IMO.

jshelton
Dec 16, 2008, 12:50 PM
I have the white MacBook and I am quite happy with it. In my opinion, the white IS Apple. As many people have stated, the black one looks like a PC. I really like the black one too though. Apple doesn't make an ugly notebook in my opinion. If you look at the signatures (myself included), the people that own aluminums will say the plastic ones suck. People who own BlackBooks will say the white ones suck. Go figure. At least we have options.

SlasherDuff
Dec 16, 2008, 12:57 PM
I love my blackbook, although I would like to upgrade to a mbp for better video editing. More hard drive storage as well.

hogfaninga
Dec 16, 2008, 01:02 PM
I love my blackbook, although I would like to upgrade to a mbp for better video editing. More hard drive storage as well.

For less than a $100 you can upgrade your hard drive. Takes 5 minutes. The video editing is another matter. My Blackbook does fine doing video editing for my needs right now. I'm thinking about getting a new MBP though and giving my Blackbook to my wife. I 'm also thinking of getting a new 2.4 MB. It will be one or the other come January.

I love my Blackbook. It has been great.