PDA

View Full Version : Incase Hardshell Anyone have one?

DaBrain
Mar 2, 2008, 02:09 PM
Subject says it all. If you have one, how do you like it and any pro's/con's you have experienced would be helpful. Thinking of getting one for my black macbook for extra protection.

Can you see the white apple through the case?

Link to case:

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/cl57119

Thanks in advance for your time. ;)

marykay9507
Mar 2, 2008, 02:16 PM
i saw these in my local store and although you can barely see it in the picture, the material it is made of seems like you would not see the apple at all-- it does feel like it would offer great protection though

DaBrain
Mar 2, 2008, 02:27 PM
i saw these in my local store and although you can barely see it in the picture, the material it is made of seems like you would not see the apple at all-- it does feel like it would offer great protection though

Thanks for your input! ;)

Bobioden
Mar 2, 2008, 02:40 PM
I hope someone who has one of these lets us know what they think, I am interested in this product also. The pics on their site, defiantly show that you can see the Apple Logo. Are they made of a hard plastic?

alanswalker
Mar 2, 2008, 04:42 PM
Anyone know where these area available in the UK?
cheers

j.dunning
Mar 2, 2008, 04:50 PM
I just tried one of these on Saturday. I picked one up at the Salt Lake City Apple Store. I was so excited that someone finally made a shell better than the Speck brand one. The Incase has a rubber coating on it so it is very grippy. It also is very well ventilated, even better than the Speck shell. It fit very tight, maybe even too tight. It took some pressure to get it on. The shell has a slight transparency to it. You can bearly see the Apple logo on the lid of the MacBook when it is turned off, when the machine is on you can see the logo light up. In the end I had to return the Incase shell. With the shell installed I could bearly get the MacBook to open past 90 degrees. Since I'm 6' 5" I have to have the MacBook open farther than that. I really wanted this shell to work out and everything about it is awesome except the opening angle thing. Let me know if you all have anymore questions.

marykay9507
Mar 2, 2008, 06:18 PM
I just tried one of these on Saturday. I picked one up at the Salt Lake City Apple Store. I was so excited that someone finally made a shell better than the Speck brand one. The Incase has a rubber coating on it so it is very grippy. It also is very well ventilated, even better than the Speck shell. It fit very tight, maybe even too tight. It took some pressure to get it on. The shell has a slight transparency to it. You can bearly see the Apple logo on the lid of the MacBook when it is turned off, when the machine is on you can see the logo light up. In the end I had to return the Incase shell. With the shell installed I could bearly get the MacBook to open past 90 degrees. Since I'm 6' 5" I have to have the MacBook open farther than that. I really wanted this shell to work out and everything about it is awesome except the opening angle thing. Let me know if you all have anymore questions.

Thank you for the review-- I have been looking for something since I was unhappy with the Speck case and was contemplating this one; is the angle of the screen the main reason you are returning it? That stinks if it is because all else seemed to be kind of decent with it!

j.dunning
Mar 2, 2008, 07:33 PM
yea, the angle of the screen is the ONLY reason I didn't like it. Everything else about it was awesome. I would suggest going into your local Apple store and trying it on your MacBook.

robby818
Mar 3, 2008, 06:41 PM
I examined this shell at the Glendale Apple store this weekend.

I really like the way it feels, it reminds me of the old thinkpads with a suede/rubber like feel. I also like the way the case looks, which is unlike the wrapped in plastic look of the specks.

Other than the screen angle problem I think the only other issue is that the interior (the part that touches the laptop) is not lined whatsoever, just hard plastic. Wish it was coated on the inside as well.

This shell will prevent scratches (white macbooks) and oil marks (black macbooks).

I am currently using a macally shell and while it is lined with felt on the inside and padded, it doesn't feel as nice as the incase and is also heavier & bulkier and the lack of ventilation holes on the macally product concerns me. The macally provides better protection but i may try the incase because i like its looks a lot more.

heatmiser
Mar 7, 2008, 03:58 PM
I'm thinking of getting a black shell for my white Macbook. The two tone combination would look nice. I'm somewhat perturbed by the accounts of the shell restricting the screen's opening. Can anyone here who's bought one comment on how much it affects the opening?

Tom B.
Mar 7, 2008, 04:23 PM
Can anyone here who's bought one comment on how much it affects the opening?

This video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TniJxVN0oc) from incase shows how to put the hardshell on, and at the end, you can see how far the lid opens.

heatmiser
Mar 7, 2008, 04:46 PM
This video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TniJxVN0oc) from incase shows how to put the hardshell on, and at the end, you can see how far the lid opens.

Yeah, it doesn't look bad from the vid, but I'd like some more first-hand accounts from folks who actually use it. I'd also like to see pictures from people who've bought these and installed them...

Bobioden
Mar 7, 2008, 09:01 PM
Yeah, it doesn't look bad from the vid, but I'd like some more first-hand accounts from folks who actually use it. I'd also like to see pictures from people who've bought these and installed them...

There is a first hand account a couple posts up.

heatmiser
Mar 7, 2008, 09:08 PM
There is a first hand account a couple posts up.

Thanks, I've read that, but I'd like one from someone who decided to keep the device. I'd also like pics from such folks too. The Youtube movie is okay, but some high res pictures of the open Macbook with the shell attached would go a lot farther toward showing how it looks when in use. I haven't been able to find any such shots online so far.

Bobioden
Mar 7, 2008, 10:17 PM
I will have to go to the Apple Store and check it out. I also like my Macbook open more than 90 degrees. That would defiantly stop me from buying one. I REALLY was hoping this case would be the one.

DaBrain
Mar 8, 2008, 08:49 AM
I will have to go to the Apple Store and check it out. I also like my Macbook open more than 90 degrees. That would defiantly stop me from buying one. I REALLY was hoping this case would be the one.

Yeah same here! I really like what it looks like, BUT 90 degrees limitation just wont cut it for my viewing the screen. Bummer. Too bad they couldn't trim down the back side to allow for more tilting of the screen.

bmorris
Mar 10, 2008, 09:53 AM
its only for a macbook? no pro?!

Tom B.
Mar 10, 2008, 06:19 PM
its only for a macbook? no pro?!

Yep, 13" MacBook only for now. I'm sure they are working on a MacBook Pro model though.

Edit: There is already a review for the MacBook Pro version here (http://www.notcot.com/archives/2008/03/incase_hardshel.php). I imagine it will be on sale in only a matter of weeks.

vansouza
Mar 10, 2008, 06:26 PM
I'm afraid that it would have the same effect on a Macbook that the hard, clear plastic cases had on iPhones. That is, grit gets between the case and the mac and in stead of protecting it, scratches it.

Bobioden
Mar 11, 2008, 12:43 PM
UPDATE:

I just purchased one of these from my local Apple Store and LOVE it. From the earlier review my concern was about the lid opening up far enough. The first time I installed it in the store I noticed a little lip on the bottom case was not seated correctly. This caused the top case to not fully extend. Once I removed the bottom, and inserted the case so the lip was correct, the case fit perfectly.

So, yes, you can fully open the lid and the Incase does not in any way hinder the viewing angle

Thanks Incase for another great product.

DaBrain
Mar 11, 2008, 01:10 PM
UPDATE:

I just purchased one of these from my local Apple Store and LOVE it. From the earlier review my concern was about the lid opening up far enough. The first time I installed it in the store I noticed a little lip on the bottom case was not seated correctly. This caused the top case to not fully extend. Once I removed the bottom, and inserted the case so the lip was correct, the case fit perfectly.

So, yes, you can fully open the lid and the Incase does not in any way hinder the viewing angle

Thanks Incase for another great product.

That's Great news! Do you have any pics you can post to show this? Thanks! :)

Bobioden
Mar 11, 2008, 01:34 PM
Here are some pics. Sorry for the quality, I snapped them real quick.

DaBrain
Mar 11, 2008, 03:05 PM
Here are some pics. Sorry for the quality, I snapped them real quick.

Thank you Very Much for taking the time to take the pics and post them. Really appreciate that!

IM going to order one soon! :rolleyes:

marvel2
Mar 11, 2008, 04:39 PM
How much thicker does it make the macbook? Is it noticeable? Can you post pics of the side view with the lid fully open? Thanks!

Bobioden
Mar 11, 2008, 04:52 PM
How much thicker does it make the macbook? Is it noticeable? Can you post pics of the side view with the lid fully open? Thanks!

Actually it doesn't make the Macbook feel any thicker. It has a really nice rubberized feel it it. The Black color blends perfectly with the inside black case color. It is very well make, with the side holes for the adapter, usb, etc... cut out perfectly. It has a nice tight solid feel.

I tried putting it in my Incase Sleeve with the hardshell on, and it fit. Was a bit tight, but it's nice to know I can still use it for extra protection in a carry-on or tote bag. I am sure after a few times the Incase Sleeve with loosen a little and it will be easier to get in and out.

Pics 3 and 4 are of the side view. It was not fully open, so it can go further before it is stopped. I will try to get a shot of it fully open from the side.

Overall, I am VERY impress it with it.

Bobioden
Mar 11, 2008, 05:05 PM
Here is a side view fully open. It does not impede the opening of the Macbook at all.

Tom B.
Mar 11, 2008, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the great pictures Bobioden! :)

And for anyone who's interested, there will be MacBook Pro 15" and 17" versions coming soon, as well as red and purple versions for all MacBooks, according to this review (http://www.notcot.com/archives/2008/03/incase_hardshel.php)
http://www.notcot.com/images/hardshell0.jpg.

marykay9507
Mar 11, 2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the new color choices coming out-- was debating on getting one and may wait until I get to see the full line of colors-- hopefully my local store will get them all in!

Jpoon
Mar 11, 2008, 11:36 PM
I have a friend that has one of these and claims that it ends up scratching the macbook more than it actually protects it. He's generally very cautious in the upkeep of his laptops and what not, so I'm wondering if simply taking off this case scratches the macbook pretty badly?

He cleans out the dust in between the case and the macbook once a month and finds new scratches where the case clips on every time.

I don't know if that's just him being careless or not.

Bobioden
Mar 12, 2008, 12:04 AM
I have a friend that has one of these and claims that it ends up scratching the macbook more than it actually protects it. He's generally very cautious in the upkeep of his laptops and what not, so I'm wondering if simply taking off this case scratches the macbook pretty badly?

He cleans out the dust in between the case and the macbook once a month and finds new scratches where the case clips on every time.

Is it the Incase Hardcase he is using? They just came out the end of Feb, and just came into stores in the last couple of weeks. How could he have used it for months?

Are you sure you are not thinking of the Speck case which has been known to scratch Macbook Pros.

The fit on this is incredibly tight, I can't imagine ANYTHING getting under it.

pugple
Mar 20, 2008, 12:17 AM
If someone gets a black shell on a white macbook, please take pics. I want to see what it would look like.

dborja
Mar 20, 2008, 12:43 AM
If someone gets a black shell on a white macbook, please take pics. I want to see what it would look like.

I posted some here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=456950

ref26
Mar 20, 2008, 12:57 AM
I want one of the new purple ones, but $50 seems like so much! I guess it kind of takes away the need for both a skin and a sleeve though so it's worth it...

iBookfan
Mar 20, 2008, 05:01 AM
I can't belive that you're purchasing a mac for its appearence and the OS and then you go buy a "shell" to cover it up. How come? It's a thing that you're suppose to use, and not to getting worried about scratches. And why bother about scratches when you can't even see the ********** computer?;). I don't get it. I'll rather have some scatches and could look at my mac and say; "get damn, that's a nice computer", instead of looking at it and saying; "damn, it looks like a plastic invenstion from the NASA, but I won't get scratchy"

Sorry if I sounds mad, angry etc. but I just had so let it out :D

- And buy the way - You dont pay extra for a Black mac, and then cover it! That's just wrong, man:eek:

phobic99
Mar 20, 2008, 05:27 AM
I can't belive that you're purchasing a mac for its appearence and the OS and then you go buy a "shell" to cover it up. How come? It's a thing that you're suppose to use, and not to getting worried about scratches. And why bother about scratches when you can't even see the ********** computer?;). I don't get it. I'll rather have some scatches and could look at my mac and say; "get damn, that's a nice computer", instead of looking at it and saying; "damn, it looks like a plastic invenstion from the NASA, but I won't get scratchy"

Sorry if I sounds mad, angry etc. but I just had so let it out :D

- And buy the way - You dont pay extra for a Black mac, and then cover it! That's just wrong, man:eek:

Well there's that and there's "I'm putting on a case to keep my new black Macbook from getting scratches because I know when Apple releases a new model, I'm gonna want it and this one I have now will be for sale soon after."
:D

I'm really debating on if I should get one of these cases for when my new Macbook (first Mac!) hopefully arrives today.. Can't wait.

DaBrain
Mar 20, 2008, 07:52 AM

This sounds more like the Speck cases too me! IM not aware of any clips being used with the incase.

Also there were a lot of complaints I read on Speck's creating many scratches by allowing dirt etc.... in between the casing and the laptop. So are you sure about this? :confused:

ilovexspin
Jul 13, 2008, 08:43 PM
Here's a review I made answering most of you guys' questions.
It's on the magenta one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xT6Rvtc5q0

Illuminated
Sep 26, 2008, 02:18 PM
I just got mine in the mail. Just put it on. I can open mine fully. Maybe a bit less then w/o the case, but it opens up fine for my viewing pleasure.

The case is really nice. It has grip to it, and I don't have to worry about just putting it down without the case on. I am worry free about putting it down now.

Great case, and worth the 50 bucks.

Louis24x7
Aug 9, 2009, 01:22 PM
I bought one for the 15" unibody last week before my travel.
The Apple store I went to (Chicago - Michigan Avenue) didn't have the Speck See Thru.

When I tested it at the store, a couple of things were observed that I almost didn't get it.

1. It's true what some people say that there's a loud click when you open the laptop lid - the sound of plastics separation clicking against each other.

2. It's also true that you couldn't open it past 90"

I travel a lot and needed something like this to protect the laptop when I take it out at the airport security and placing it in their plastic bins

And since my last laptop ended up with a lot more scratches than normal due to the above reason, I figured I'd live with it till I can find the Speck at the Apple store in my destination city or order one online, then return the Incase.

However, when I got home and put it on my MBP 15 unibody, I didn't notice any of the above mentioned issues.
I realized the problem: Most people put the top lid incorrectly, hence the problems.

The top lid has to be put on with the Incase emblem on the top right (if you close the lid it's the bottom right corner closer to you - with the top of the Apple led toward you).

I honestly am going to keep the Incase and not bother with the Speck, since I know this is a better quality than the the Speck anyway. I own one for my wife's 13" MB unibody. Forget about the satin one, we returned that one 3 days after using it. It attracted too much finger smudges.

It is a little hard to open to clean, but go to Speck's website and watch the video on how to open these cases with ease and you'll know how to open the Incase with ease as well. It is the same concept.

I will take some pics later and post it on my Flickr page.

JenSF
Aug 13, 2009, 07:01 PM
So I just got my Incase hardshell and put it on my MBP 13" and the only issue (which is a major one) is that I cannot access the headphone jack - the cutout does not extend far enough and and the plastic slightly covers the opening. THAT SUCKS! I really like the hardshell, but I guess will have to return it. I'm wondering if this is just a defective item b/c I didn't see any posts on this same issue.

Does anyone else have this same problem??? :(