Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBaroqueCycle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2003
Louisville, KY
I just installed Panther a few days ago, and now my EnergySaver Preference Pane won't load. I don't remember doing anything wacky to it. No matter how I try to open it (sys prefs, battery icon, directly from .prefPane), it won't load.

I've tried resetting my iBook's PMU. I've tried blowing away the associated prefs file. I've even tried deleting the pane and copying in the same file from my friend's installation (I can't directly grab one off the install discs, afaik). Results haven't changed.

Interestingly, the preferences that I set the last time I had access to it seem still to be effective (i.e. my screen dims at the correct time, and I never sleep when on AC).

I really don't want to reinstall the OS. Is that my only option? This is leaving me with a sour impression of 10.3 though, and I hate that.

dragula53

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
bad prefpanes

I had this problem the other day.

Keyboard/mouse pref pane wasn't loading

I still had the old keyboard and mouse panels

I took the unconventional route and deleted my entire library directory. figured I could always reinstall if I had to

it fixed it.

I had to reinstall a couple apps.. and redo the dock, etc. no longterm damage.

anyway. hope that helps

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
well, it won't

Whenever I find a problem with a prefpane I delete the prefpane cache. It's somewhere in the Library.

TheBaroqueCycle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2003
Louisville, KY
Originally posted by Schiffi
I delete the prefpane cache.
Well, rats. That didn't do the trick either. I suppose I'll have to suck it up and reinstall the OS cleanly. I wonder though if I will get the same problem after doing a clean install and copying my home directory back over. *shrugs*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.