Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Hi all,
I wish to add a new Apple DVI screen to a PowerMac with ADC.
(I already have a DVI screen plugged into the DVI slot)

I've searched the net, there are some so called 'Belkin' ones on some sites (that appear on others as brandless) but I can't find it on the official Belkin site. Does anyone know a place that still sells them or better still, sells them in Australia?

Also these kinds of adapters safe for the graphics card and monitor?

Thanks.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
They're perfectly safe (ADC is just a DVI connector + power & USB, so the adaptors only have to re-map the necessary pins), but really tough to come by these days as I believe Belkin & Dr. Bott have both discontinued their versions.

Your best bet is probably eBay.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Ah thankyou both for your help :D

Another slightly unrelated question…
If I have 2 screens in and I'm playing a game on one screen and the other is black…is the graphics card still working to provide display to the blank display - it seems a bit stupid asking but there might be something I don't know about. :p

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
Easy fix

Going from ADC port on the graphics card to a DVI display is very easy. You just need a simple adapter. Apple used to sell one for $39.

Small Dog Electronics is a solid Mac reseller. They have 21 in stock for $36.99:
http://www.smalldog.com/product/12651830

The display, of course, will have to get its power from the wall outlet.

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
If I have 2 screens in and I'm playing a game on one screen and the other is black…is the graphics card still working to provide display to the blank display - it seems a bit stupid asking but there might be something I don't know about. :p

Some games take over the primary screen and black out the second one -- especially if you are playing in full screen mode. If you are playing in windowed mode (like many do with World of Warcraft), the second display is fully functioning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.