PDA

View Full Version : DVI screen on ADC PowerMac

TheReef
Mar 3, 2008, 02:34 AM
Hi all,
I wish to add a new Apple DVI screen to a PowerMac with ADC.
(I already have a DVI screen plugged into the DVI slot)

I've searched the net, there are some so called 'Belkin' ones on some sites (that appear on others as brandless) but I can't find it on the official Belkin site. Does anyone know a place that still sells them or better still, sells them in Australia?

Also these kinds of adapters safe for the graphics card and monitor?

Thanks.

JesterJJZ
Mar 3, 2008, 02:39 AM
You want this...

http://www99.shopping.com/xPC-Belkin-Belkin-Apple-Cube-Digital-Adapter

They work great.

tersono
Mar 3, 2008, 02:41 AM
They're perfectly safe (ADC is just a DVI connector + power & USB, so the adaptors only have to re-map the necessary pins), but really tough to come by these days as I believe Belkin & Dr. Bott have both discontinued their versions.

Your best bet is probably eBay.

TheReef
Mar 3, 2008, 02:52 AM
Ah thankyou both for your help :D

Another slightly unrelated question…
If I have 2 screens in and I'm playing a game on one screen and the other is black…is the graphics card still working to provide display to the blank display - it seems a bit stupid asking but there might be something I don't know about. :p

barefeats
Mar 3, 2008, 09:00 AM
Going from ADC port on the graphics card to a DVI display is very easy. You just need a simple adapter. Apple used to sell one for $39.

Small Dog Electronics is a solid Mac reseller. They have 21 in stock for $36.99:
http://www.smalldog.com/product/12651830

The display, of course, will have to get its power from the wall outlet.

barefeats
Mar 3, 2008, 09:04 AM
If I have 2 screens in and I'm playing a game on one screen and the other is black…is the graphics card still working to provide display to the blank display - it seems a bit stupid asking but there might be something I don't know about. :p

Some games take over the primary screen and black out the second one -- especially if you are playing in full screen mode. If you are playing in windowed mode (like many do with World of Warcraft), the second display is fully functioning.