PDA

View Full Version : No audio input or output PowerBook G4

rogerthat
Mar 4, 2008, 06:53 AM
I just started using Skype and use a Plantronics USB headset/microphone. It works pretty well calling a phone but has a really annoying side tone when calling another computer.
My problem, though, is that since I started using the headset, just a few days ago, my built in microphone and speaker and the ability to plug in just a headset and listen have vanished. Also, the volume icon in the menu bar has disappeared. If I go to System preferences, there is only plantronics in the menu. I've tried restarting with no change. It used to work just fine...where might it have gone?

mackindergarten
Mar 4, 2008, 08:33 AM
Hi!

Try to repair disk permissions using Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app). I had some trouble with the sound on my Powerbook, too. Repairing Disk Permissions solved it.

Hope this works.

/Rupert

rogerthat
Mar 4, 2008, 08:43 AM
I have to go to work now, but I'll try that this evening when I get back. I hadn't thought of that.
Thanks,
Rog

rogerthat
Mar 5, 2008, 06:23 AM
Rupert,
Don't know why or how...had to restart for another issue...tried to run disk permissions and it hung up so I stopped after a few...but somewhere along the line the speakers and microphone appeared in the preferences again. I do thank you for the help, mate.
Rog

mackindergarten
Mar 5, 2008, 06:33 AM
You're welcome! A lot of time, repairing disk permissions seems to do some magic to your Mac.

I'm happy, it worked for you.

/Rupert